Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we can't compete until 2014 at the earliest. Maybe 2015. All through little fault of our own.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Just think if we didn't get that cap penalty. Vincent Jackson would have been a Redskin vs a Buc. Also we would have had a better safety back there as well. I think we are competing right now GHH with what we have. It's unfortunate that the injury happened to Garcon, but we are still in every game is RG3 is back there.

So how do you fix the D to a sufficient level with no top picks, big needs elsewhere, and no chance of anything to any significant degree in FA?

Hail.

There are plenty of starters to be found in rounds 2 3 and 4. Just because we dont have 1's doesnt mean we dont have anything. We already have 1st round picks invested in the most important positions anyway, LT QB OLB and have a stud RB. We need a solid free safety. Those are available in round 2. We need a solid right tackle. Round 2. Fletchers replacement. Garcon is still coming back this season. So is Meriweather, who i think will be a very good blitzing, in the box strong safety. Plus we have Tanard Jackson coming back next season. I think you are over reacting.

GHH, 2 quality safeties would help immensely. That could be your 2nd and 3rd round picks next year. I also have to imagine that some players could shake out from later in the draft or the current depth on our roster. Then I believe we will figure out a way to sign some FAs.

Are you implying that only 1st rounders can become starters? Our rookie RB was 4th string 2 months ago and now has about 700 yards through 7 games. Let's watch how things shake out. We did the hard work, we have our young franchise QB. The rest is fun to watch!

We're gona' struggle to make the current roster and rookies add up to the cap man, let alone FA's. Any we do sign will be nothing more than depth players in reality.

And with the best will in the World, if your starting safety's and CB's are 2/ 3rd rounders, your gona' struggle unless you hit real lucky against the type of passing O's this league now has to offer. And with the RT need, along with other holes, there's no guarantee next years 2nd will go on the DB's.

Of course other rounds other than players taken in the first become starters. But when your needing, IMHO, 3 quality DB's to start with, if not 4; your lessening your chances of ever improving to any significant degree back there the lower down you pick.

---------- Post added October-21st-2012 at 07:00 PM ----------

..... So is Meriweather, who i think will be a very good blitzing, in the box strong safety. Plus we have Tanard Jackson coming back next season. I think you are over reacting.

Merriweather who we can't get on the field, and Jackson who is facing a life time ban.

Hail.

I think you underrate the opportunity to improve the D with later picks and modest FA acquisitions. I will stay patient for sure, but believe we can get our D to the middle of the pack even without 1st rounders. We could also see organic improvement on th team as well.

Absolutely agree. Adjustments to the scheme and coaching staff also offer potential avenues of improvement on that side of the ball. We don't need excellence, we just need reliability.

How are santana moss and fred davis "divas" ?

They are divas because he doesn't like them and presumably has a limited vocabulary with which to express his disappointment in them.

Just think if we didn't get that cap penalty. Vincent Jackson would have been a Redskin vs a Buc. Also we would have had a better safety back there as well. I think we are competing right now GHH with what we have. It's unfortunate that the injury happened to Garcon, but we are still in every game is RG3 is back there.

Again, we're competing in games thanks to the QB in the main man. Some we'll win. Some we'll lose. But we're not competing for much more than that in reality. Certainly not in terms of winning records and post-season play.

A D undoing all the O's good work is putting paid to that. And if Robert has a down game, we're invariably screwed. He alone, as awesome as he's been/ is; can only take you so far.

Hail.

Again, we're competing in games thanks to the QB in the main man. Some we'll win. Some we'll lose. But we're not competing for much more than that in reality. Certainly not in terms of winning records and post-season play.

A D undoing all the O's good work is putting paid to that. And if Robert has a down game, we're invariably screwed. He alone, as awesome as he's been/ is; can only take you so far.

Hail.

okay answer me this...should Shanny just be fired then? If all we have to challenge teams with is RGIII after 3 years

This team, as its currently constructed worts and all, despite shooting itself in the foot with an uncharacteristically high number of turnovers was able to stay competitive with one of the better teams in the NFL.

This team was competitive under today's circumstances; how can one logically say it can't compete in the future when its competitive right now?

HTTR-

okay answer me this...should Shanny just be fired then? If all we have to challenge teams with is RGIII after 3 years

Taking into consideration the state of what he walked into? And having his rebuild setback two years by the cap B/S robbing us of $ 36 million and some quality FA help?

No. I think he's done about as much as can be expected with the task he took on. If you ignore the cap handicap, and lay the blame of not being able to improve things to any significant degree in certain areas because of that this year and next; then what? You can him, and some new guy wants his own players, maybe changes the scheme and takes us in a different direction?

How many times do you keep starting over?

Hail.

And with the best will in the World, if your starting safety's and CB's are 2/ 3rd rounders, your gona' struggle unless you hit real lucky against the type of passing O's this league now has to offer. And with the RT need, along with other holes, there's no guarantee next years 2nd will go on the DB's.

Of course other rounds other than players taken in the first become starters. But when your needing, IMHO, 3 quality DB's to start with, if not 4; your lessening your chances of ever improving to any significant degree back there the lower down you pick.

We aren't going to strike on 3-4 rookie DB's in rounds 2-7 but we could hit on one and that may be all this secondary needs to be competitive. I'm not saying one player is going to make this a strong group but even just getting a competent guy back there that can stop the constant big plays things would be so much easier on our offense. Plenty of good safeties come out of rounds 2-7.

Kam Chancellor, Dashon Goldson, Kerry Rhodes, Adrian Wilson, Roman Harper, Jairus Byrd. That's just guys off the top of my head. A lot of them weren't impact players until year two which supports your hypothesis but I think a combination of middle tier FA acquisitions and a draft pick or two we can address the defense to at least a middle of the pack level quickly.

Only people on this message board think it takes 5 years to rebuild a team. No team that wins the superbowl is perfect. The offense is good enough there. If merriweather gets back by the bye week, people will start saying 2013 is a superbowl. You are always only 1 player away from a Super Bowl

Taking into consideration the state of what he walked into? And having his rebuild setback two years by the cap B/S robbing us of $ 36 million and some quality FA help?

No. I think he's done about as much as can be expected with the task he took on. If you ignore the cap handicap, and lay the blame of not being able to improve things to any significant degree in certain areas because of that this year and next; then what? You can him, and some new guy wants his own players, maybe changes the scheme and takes us in a different direction?

How many times do you keep starting over?

Hail.

well you can't sit there and ***** because you lost cap (unless you have an account on es)

**** happens.

Also, the cap thing didn't happen until last summer. He had two years before then to find guys.

My point is that no...we aren't 3 years away. No team in the NFL is IMO.

We can compete now with RGIII and if that's too much pressure then we chose the wrong guy

Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing excuses year after year. Haslett calls a defensive formation with no safety help that burns us for a 77 yd. TD? I've never like his schemes and still don't. Aren't we dead last in pass defense? Sure we've got injured players but didn't someone plan for that?

We're gona' struggle to make the current roster and rookies add up to the cap man, let alone FA's. Any we do sign will be nothing more than depth players in reality.

---------- Post added October-21st-2012 at 07:00 PM ----------

Merriweather who we can't get on the field, and Jackson who is facing a life time ban.

Hail.

You cut out 85% of my argument. I can cherry pick a post and respond to them all and sound smart too.-

There are plenty of starters to be found in rounds 2 3 and 4. Just because we dont have 1's doesnt mean we dont have anything. We already have 1st round picks invested in the most important positions anyway, LT QB OLB and have a stud RB. We need a solid free safety. Those are available in round 2. We need a solid right tackle. Round 2. Fletchers replacement. Garcon is still coming back this season. So is Meriweather, who i think will be a very good blitzing, in the box strong safety. Plus we have Tanard Jackson coming back next season. I think you are over reacting.

Its frustrating that the back side of this defense essentially needs to be rebuilt and we gotta hope Orakpo comes back strong.

I still think this team needs help at C/RT on O as well as 1 guy in each level of D

Couldn't agree more.

But apparently we can address all that to a high level through two drafts consisting of rounds 2 through 7, with little to no room for anything of any note in FA for another year; and other holes to fill at the same time.

Shanahan and Allen are going be one heck of a pair of magicians to fulfill those hopes with so little.

Hail.

Hail.

I think you're over-simplifying the situation. We are seeing incredible QB play from our rookie this year, no doubt. But we are getting contributions from the entire offense. Say what you want, but Hankerson and Morgan have done more as 2nd and 3rd WRs than we have seen here in years! Morris has also been great, but has also had great running lanes paved by an OL that is quietly doing a damn good job. Throw in solid FB play from Young and some nice TE play by Davis (and today Paulsen), and we have a pretty exciting offense with several players who can hurt the defense on any given play.

The defense needs work, but deserve some credit for our team still having a chance to win midway through the 4th today. Most defenses don't escape 3 straight turnovers only giving up 7 points. They ultimately hurt us, but our rookies' 3rd quarter made today a potential blowout. Some big plays by our D prevented that from happening and set the stage for Griffin's heroics. They also gave our offense a chance against Atlanta and did pretty well in NO.

I think you have to concede that this team has generally won and lost as a team this year. We have gotten big plays and nice performances from several guys other than Griffin.

we will not compete seriously with the defense. i'm sorry guys, this isn't 2011. you can't just outscore everyone and hope for the best. we will be in every game just like the last 10 years (minus a few blowouts and surprise runs), but will find ways to lose. i mean the proof is in the pudding. we've beat 1 team with a winning record, and we've barely beat 2 really bad teams.

i've never seen a team find so many ways to lose. personal foul on the coach is pretty much UNHEARD OF. Missed field goals. Fumbling on the game winning drive. for some reason we forget that cruz can burn us, cover 0 on wildcat...i mean what else ? i hope i'm wrong but we will shoot ourselves in the foot over the next 10 weeks. yes, that's right, even during the bye week we will find a way to lose. 8-8 is looking more and more like a stretch, and i'm worried that if we do worse then that shanahan will be gone.

we no longer have davis and all the guys smoking crack that think bringing back cooley is going to kick start this team are wrong. cooley is old, injury prone and will not impact any games. paulson will be fine in davis spot but we just lost our leading receiver for the year, and it showed to me that he will be sorely missed. who knows if pierre is ever going to be 100 percent this year.

i wish i was more optimistic like everyone else about this team. but we have 1 guy that might be a starter on another team in our secondary. this secondary is HORRIBLE. that just can't happen in this pass first league. Yea, we got 2 interceptions today...both on horrible calls on eli part. both those interceptions were GIFTS. Ponder threw for over 300 yards last week on us, and managed to outdo himself this week with a 58 yard performance...AN ALMOST 300 YARD DROP OFF. The run defense is good i suppose...but then again that's all the front 7 do. they don't get pressure on the QB, they just stop the run.

as of right now, i see us beating 4 more teams. if we can somehow manage to steal some from the division we could possibly get a wild card spot. 9-7 might get us in, but 10-6 just to be sure. but i'm so depressed about this team right now i don't see it happening. and then we have zero first round picks for the next two years...we could get a safety or corner from one of them SEC schools or something, but now we'll have to find someone from conference USA.

Only people on this message board think it takes 5 years to rebuild a team. No team that wins the superbowl is perfect. The offense is good enough there. If merriweather gets back by the bye week, people will start saying 2013 is a superbowl. You are always only 1 player away from a Super Bowl

This ^^^

EVERY team in the NFL has a fatal flaw...no team in the nfl has bottomless depth.

If you have elite players in key positions and get a few breaks, you win super bowls

2007 and 2011 NY Giants. 2009 Saints.

It's hard to argue that the team is not in a better place then 90% of other teams that draft a rookie QB and start him from day 1.

Cam's huge stats from 2011 are largely due to his team being down big late in games and he compiled all sorts of stats in garbage time, while his team had no real chance to win most of the time.

The Redskins have been in every game, and most games the offense is in a position to tie or win the game late. Today you saw RGIII buckle down and lead the time on a game leading drive at the end of the game, but the defense could not seal the deal. How this equals Mike or Kyle Shanahan to being fired is puzzling to me.

Right now this entire offense is clicking, the running game, the zone blocking scheme etc etc....and keep in mind this is without their best WR, and a large part of the game was played without Fred Davis, who unfortunately is gone for the season.

The defense lacks starting caliber talent. Bottomline. Now compare this with a team like Dallas who has had an overload of talent on defense for a handful of years now but can't manage to do any better than us, and you have a much better argument for changing the coaching regime.

We can't give up on a system that is working, just because we aren't winning every single game.

Why do people think we can fire the coaching staff, and start over with brand new schemes and designs, yet all of the sudden get good?

Health + a competent DC + smart scouting will be cheaper and make a bigger difference than big name FA signings. Haven't we learned anything?

The Skins are obviously competitive now; we're not a laughingstock or an easy win. Are we legitimate playoffs contenders with 6 or 7 starters out and a ton of youthful depth taking the field every week? No, not down the stretch I don't think. We saw the ramifications of that today. But we're getting better; from lousy up to average. And maybe next year we'll go from average to good. At that point, with RG3 in tow, anything is possible. We just have too many broken parts right now.

Archived