Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we can't compete until 2014 at the earliest. Maybe 2015. All through little fault of our own.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I don't know how you can say we won't compete until 2014-2015 at the earliest when we're averaging 29 points per game right now. We've been competitive in every game we've played so far this year and we've played some good teams. If the first seven games are any indication we're probably going to be in every game we play until late in the 4th quarter this year, which is awesome. Assuming we get some help in the secondary, which we absolutely can through the draft (even lacking a first round pick), and through free agency, I think we'll be competitive next year to grab a playoff berth. Especially with all of the drama going on in Philly and Dallas.

I'm going to have to disagree - we are without 4 starting defensive players (2 safeties who haven't played a game yet).

The majority of big plays in the passing game are a result of poor play from Williams.

- while jackson has made some great plays, he's also a liability in the run game and does not bring the double teams that Rak does

- Same with Jenkins

There's nothing that I see that our offense needs right now (outside of a RT) - we move the ball and score at ease and will be better with Garcon back

someone has a case of the Mondays, the fact is shanny inheritied a awful team full of "me" type players. This overhaul is really only in season #2 as he tried the win now in his first season with McNabb. I like where the team is going. We are still another draft or two, plus free agency to get this team to the top of the pile. I can live with that especially since we are competing right now with the pieces we have.

Not a case of "Mondays" at all. I am not one of the overreactionary 20somethings that have plagued this site since its merger with the team. I agree Shanahan inherited a terrible team and has done as well as could be expected. My point, which I have stated at various times in different ways long before yesterday's game...hell, even before Shanahan's first preseason game here, is that this would be a return to Norvesque teams that put up points but whose defenses collapse in the 4th. Again, post-Elway Shanny's teams in Denver went from one bad defensive coordinator after another and made bad personnel decisions on the defensive side of the ball despite some brilliant offensive drafts. Reuniting the Browns DL, blowing a high 1st on Deltha ONeal...any of these ring a bell? Everywhere Haslett has been his defenses have been pretty good the 1st year (ie Saints,Rams), then exposed, and fallen to bottom feeders by his 3rd year. Those who forget history are destined to repeat it...and/or wear B&G colored glasses.

Getting a little off topic, but are you suggesting Shanahan isn't the guy to ultimately bring home number 4?

Hail.

That's always been my belief/concern. He will prevent us from being doormats, and his drafting talents will leave the team far better off than when he arrived (despite foregoing 3 years of #1s), but we will be a perennial 10-6ish team. This is how it went in Denver, and I don't see this being any different.

That's always been my belief/concern. He will prevent us from being doormats, and his drafting talents will leave the team far better off than when he arrived (despite foregoing 3 years of #1s), but we will be a perennial 10-6ish team. This is how it went in Denver, and I don't see this being any different.

Interesting. I won't debate that here as I happen to have more faith he ultimately will be the coach to take us over that line; but I can fully appreciate those concerns.

Hail.

I think you underrate the opportunity to improve the D with later picks and modest FA acquisitions. I will stay patient for sure, but believe we can get our D to the middle of the pack even without 1st rounders. We could also see organic improvement on th team as well.

Look how quickly the offensive line, once thought to be a wreck, has come together.With some shrewd moves, I think the defense can make similar strides before next season starts. I agree with the OP that it's gonna take time but we should/could have won yesterday's game despite 4 turnovers. Losing guys on defense has hurt us this year. That being said, we have the ability to outscore teams thanks to an excellent offensive scheme. God forbid this team finds a way to go on a run and make the playoffs....nobody wants to see RG lll and company come to town. We are going to need to sweep Dallas or Philly and split with the other two to make a run at the division. It can be done.

An interesting theory, and certainly a possibility. There are plenty of teams like that, Philadelphia, Indy until 2006, Chargers, Ravens, Falcons are currently that way, etc.

I think with RGIII, Shanahan would get a superbowl win, the key problem in Denver was getting the perfect QB. He got close a couple times, but couldn't quite seal the deal. RGIII I think could finish the fight.

The bigger problem IMO is how long Shanahan wants to be here. Does Shanahan want to coach beyond 5 years? If next year things come together and we go 10-6, and do similarly well in 2014, Shanahan might just retire and hand the job off to someone else, likely his son. While skill is obviously important, luck plays a large part in winning a superbowl, and Shanahan's odds increase significantly the longer he's here. If he only coaches 5 years, his window will be very small, 1 or 2 years, while if he decides to stick around another 3-5 years after that he gives himself a decent chance of getting one, though it still comes down to luck more than anything. Patriots haven't won a SB in forever despite being the "best" team in the NFL several of those years, Packers dominated everyone last year then had a big let down.

I think RGIII has a very high chance, much higher than your average 1st round QB, of hoisting a Lombardi at some point in his career. For Shanahan it will be dependent on how long he wants to stick around.

Look how quickly the offensive line, once thought to be a wreck, has come together..

No injuries on the line this year.. that is the key. They've been playing together for 7 games. The OL was destroyed w/ injuries last year.

This year our defense is destroyed with injuries... compounded by the fact that our talent in the secondary was sub par BEFORE the injuries started piling up.

This year our defense is destroyed with injuries

This is the simple/obvious/key point that makes me think this thread is an overreaction. Get Meriweather back, get our LBs healthy again and add ONE starting caliber safety and maybe a NT and we have a decent lineup on D. Sure, maybe it isn't the most dominant defense in the league, but certainly good enough given RG3 and the rest of the offense (which should be getting key people back next year as well).

We cant get Free agents next year. For one we have 7 million dollars of cap this year. That will rollover to next year. Cut Brown, Moss, and reconstruct Hall's contract and you can get an Elite player in FA. Talib is gonna come cheap anyway. Its some good FAs coming in the market that we can get. Geno Atkins, Red Byrant, or Barwin, with a Talib, Louis Delmas or Jarius Byrd, with Tanard Jackson coming back. Our defense would be better.

Look how quickly the offensive line, once thought to be a wreck, has come together.With some shrewd moves, I think the defense can make similar strides before next season starts. I agree with the OP that it's gonna take time but we should/could have won yesterday's game despite 4 turnovers. Losing guys on defense has hurt us this year. That being said, we have the ability to outscore teams thanks to an excellent offensive scheme. God forbid this team finds a way to go on a run and make the playoffs....nobody wants to see RG lll and company come to town. We are going to need to sweep Dallas or Philly and split with the other two to make a run at the division. It can be done.

What has me ridiculously optimistic that our climb to contention is a matter of "when" and not "if" is the fact that in back-to-back games our QB has made plays that should have beaten division-leading teams. He killed the Vikings with his legs and should have killed the Giants with his arm (the TD to Moss). Right now, he is showing that he can do it all and do it at a high level despite having less than 7 games of NFL experience.

The sky is the limit...and we've seen (and said about 1,000,000 times on this board) that a franchise QB lifts up an entire team. Two years ago we would have killed to have a true leader at QB who can make every throw and kill a defense with his legs. We'd have taken this position over having a pretty good defense and no firepower on offense as we've had for a decade or so. Let's give it time and just enjoy the ride.

;9225045']As a rival fan who hates to admit this' date=' the trade made for RGIII is the best thing that has been done by Dan Snyder's (although I'm not sure how much he had to do with it) regime.[/quote']

I totally agree. But if YOUR no good owner didn't take some of our cap space, we'd be damn near untouchable this year.

Let me preface this by saying I love this long lost feeling of excitement come Sunday that my team is giving me once again. In the main, all down to a dude who far from looking the fresh faced rookie he should; look's more and more like a HoF, all American/ pro 15 year top tier veteran by the game. And I wouldn't take back 'the trade' if my life depended on it. I love the overall direction the HC is taking this team in. With those two men orchestrating things on and off the field, I have NO doubt we WILL return to the promised land.

But thanks to 'the trade'; and more so the man who's team we so agonisingly managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory today; it's gona' be at least another two years before we can even compete for post-season play. Let alone think about reaching the top of the mountain for a 4th time.

Now people will look at that, and doubtless start to question whether Coach Mike should be given that time if it's gona' be at least another two long years of regular season play and nothing else. In the same way the defense is getting lambasted tonight from all angles after throwing away a game we had won.

But let's put the reality of the situation, not least the defense, in stark black and white figures. And ask yourself, with everything else to still to attend to; just what Shanahan and co. can realistically be expected to do with one hand tied behind their backs?

It's no secret, as witnessed again today, we have a shocking defensive secondary. We need two starting, quality safety's, neither of which are currently on staff; and one if not two top tier corners. (Hopefully Minifield turns into something, but he's undrafted and coming off an ACL. So let's not pin too much on his young shoulders.). Throw in the captain and mainstay of the defense, Fletch, is coming to the end of his glorious career and needs replacing (maybe Robinson becomes that guy, maybe not. But he and Riley are not gona' strike any immediate fear into opponents next year), along with depth help; and even Stevie Wonder can see where the teams main problem lies.

Addressing it however, is easier said than done.

With no number 1 draft pick for the next two years, a serious need for a quality right tackle on the offensive side of the ball to compliment Trent; and another $ 18 million lost through that B/S cap penalty next year; we are up the metaphoric ' **** creek without a paddle ' until the 2014 season at least.

As we currently stand, with next years cap projected to be around $ 121 million, and taking into account the dead cap carry over minus the Cooley and doubtless at least Brown release hit, along with the $ 18 million penalty; we are marginally under the cap by around 3 million bucks or so. There's gona' have to be some serious restructuring to allow us to go forward with next years rooks and any cheap additions we can swing. Forget doing anything in FA to address the problem. And then you've players like Santana sat on a $ 6 million hit next year, and Merriweather at $ 3.5 who probably won't be here through age/ value. All of whom, along with others, will need to be replaced with bodies.

So scream as loud as you want about this player or that coach, or it being 'the same old Redskins save for RGIII' ; but ask yourself in the stark reality of the situation just what they can realistically be expected to do with one hand tied behind their back thanks to the cap B/S and the lack of top picks that had to spent on the once in a lifetime kid under center.

The progress we're seeing is great. Particularly on the offensive side of the ball. But the progress for the remainder of this year and next at least is gona' slow through little fault of our own.

Hail.

I'm gonna say it.... we have two winnable games before the bye coming up. We can go to the bye with a 5-4 record, which in my book, would be in competition for a playoff spot.

;9225045']As a rival fan who hates to admit this' date=' the trade made for RGIII is the best thing that has been done by Dan Snyder's (although I'm not sure how much he had to do with it) regime.[/quote']

Whether he did or not, the trade for RG3 doesn't have much competition on Snyder's resume? What's the second best thing he's done? Sign D. Hall? :puke:

We cant get Free agents next year. For one we have 7 million dollars of cap this year. That will rollover to next year. Cut Brown, Moss, and reconstruct Hall's contract and you can get an Elite player in FA. Talib is gonna come cheap anyway. Its some good FAs coming in the market that we can get. Geno Atkins, Red Byrant, or Barwin, with a Talib, Louis Delmas or Jarius Byrd, with Tanard Jackson coming back. Our defense would be better.

$ 7 million dead cap carry over minus 1 and change for cutting Cooley, and another 3 plus if/ when Brown gets cut. A rough figure would have us around 3/4 million under when everything's said and done as we currently stand.

What is interesting was the notion a few pages back we can dump Hall's contract for around 300K. That and a bunch of restructuring would open things more. But it's still not gona' lead to a great deal of top quality on the open market.

And I honestly wouldn't pin anything on Jackson ever setting foot on a football field again. Here or anywhere for that matter.

Hail.

I'm gonna say it.... we have two winnable games before the bye coming up. We can go to the bye with a 5-4 record, which in my book, would be in competition for a playoff spot.

You've Pittsburgh on the road as winnable?

I sure hope your right, as I have it as the first real let down both sides of the ball in a reality check.

Hail.

You've Pittsburgh on the road as winnable?

I sure hope your right, as I have it as the first real let down both sides of the ball in a reality check.

Hail.

More winnable than Giants on the road, which we could've won.

I'm not guaranteeing a win, but I feel better about the Skins v. Steelers than about Skins v. Giants.

Soooo...in 2010...it was "watch out for us in 2011 when we get that QB. 2012 Playoffs. 2013-14 SB."

In 2011 it was "2012 playoff push with Luck/RGIII..2013-2014 SB"

Now it's 2015.

GHH...If this is true then Shanahan failed. Plain and simple. If it's 2015 and we are just ready to compete. He 110% failed.

Teams turn it around in 2-3 years routinely nowadays.

I think you don't realize how much we sucked and how poorly designed we were pre-Shanahan. The fact he can turn us around is impressive in and of itself.

Archived