Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we can't compete until 2014 at the earliest. Maybe 2015. All through little fault of our own.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

With the greatest of respect Burgold, personally speaking, this has jack **** to do with last year. And it's a little insulting to have it suggested as such from someone I have the greatest of time for.

From others, not least one's already rearing their head in this thread, I'd expect that flippant response. Not so much from a poster of the caliber such as yourself.

Hail.

Waaah. Holier than thou much?? I only wish i could be a poster of your lofty caliber...

$ 7 million dead cap carry over minus 1 and change for cutting Cooley, and another 3 plus if/ when Brown gets cut. A rough figure would have us around 3/4 million under when everything's said and done as we currently stand.

What is interesting was the notion a few pages back we can dump Hall's contract for around 300K. That and a bunch of restructuring would open things more. But it's still not gona' lead to a great deal of top quality on the open market.

And I honestly wouldn't pin anything on Jackson ever setting foot on a football field again. Here or anywhere for that matter.

Hail.

actually cutting Brown next pushes the dead cap to 2014. We will have 5.4 million. And Tanard is in our future plans. Not cutting him after the suspension. And will have money to get one quality FA. Maybe we get lucky and convince some to take less one year than the next year get a big payraise.

actually cutting Brown next pushes the dead cap to 2014. We will have 5.4 million. And Tanard is in our future plans. Not cutting him after the suspension. And will have money to get one quality FA. Maybe we get lucky and convince some to take less one year than the next year get a big payraise.

I keep reading Brown would count against the 2013 cap, but as I'm far from a cap guru, who knows which is right?

And I was more alluding to the league giving Jackson a life ban after his suspension is up. Which wouldn't be a surprise at all in this climate.

Hail.

I sure hope Snyder, Shanahan & Allen don't feel this way. There have been too many years as a long suffering Redskins fan saying wait till next year, I sure do't want to say wait till the year after next!! I would wait till after the season to see what happens with draft choices and cap room. Players can be traded for picks, contacts can be restructured for more cap room, players can be cut for more cap room & maybe the cap will increase this year. I would be shocked if the Redskins didn't atempt to make some smart moves in free agency to improve there awful secondary. I guess we all will just have to wait and see. There are teams that trade pretty good players for low draft picks like the Texas trading Ryans to the Eagles this year that the Redskins could look into for help at DB in the offseason. There are different ways to improve and hopefully it all starts with a new defensive coordinator, someone who knows how to scheme and adjust!

I keep reading Brown would count against the 2013 cap, but as I'm far from a cap guru, who knows which is right?

And I was more alluding to the league giving Jackson a life ban after his suspension is up. Which wouldn't be a surprise at all in this climate.

Hail.

I think they'll give him another shot.

More winnable than Giants on the road, which we could've won.

I'm not guaranteeing a win, but I feel better about the Skins v. Steelers than about Skins v. Giants.

There is not a team in today's NFL that I fear the Skins cannot compete. The only problem will be winning the games based on the suspect defense. Some games should not be close but when you have a corner back giving ten yard cushions and a safety that does not understand over the top coverage some mediocre offenses will become superstars.

Hail.

With Brown, it depends on if they make him a June 1 cut or not. He wouldn't really save us anything in 2013 if not, but would be completely off the books for 2014. He would save us about 3.5 next year if he was a June 1 cut.

With Brown, it depends on if they make him a June 1 cut or not. He wouldn't really save us anything in 2013 if not, but would be completely off the books for 2014. He would save us about 3.5 next year if he was a June 1 cut.

Thanks for the clarification Rufus. Appreciated.

---------- Post added October-22nd-2012 at 02:50 PM ----------

From the Orakpo/ Jackson thread today:

My source (who is a close friend of Rak) says that Rak could be done. This is the second pectoral tear and this one was ripped completely from the shoulder. It's going to be months before he can start to fully rehab that thing and in the meantime a good portion of the left side of his body is going to atrophy. As it will be a contract year, it couldn't have happened a a worse time. I really feel sorry for the guy as he was a real pleasure to watch.

If that's true, then that's another major need we need to address whilst we're short handed on picks and cap room.

Hail.

If that's true, then that's another major need we need to address whilst we're short handed on picks and cap room.

Hail.

Though the team could create nearly 3 mil by cutting him. You could fit in a replacement for not much more than that with creative accounting.

That's assuming we had to go that route. We'll have to wait and see.

I completely agree with the OP, we are in every game this year beause of RG3, but I am not expecting steady progression for the next two years, I think the team will be somewhat stagnet until the team can get 1) a 1st round pick and 2) a compent scouting staff that knows how to find talent at positions other than RB. It's not just about drafting the right guy, you have to develop your own talent, something I don't think Shanny has the patience for.

RG3 is making everyone look better than they are, but this team still has holes. Beyond Garcon & Moss, the WR corp is weak, and Moss moght be gone as a salary cap casualty next year. The line has played ok-(RG3 makes them look better)-but you could use an upgrade in the middle and at RT. For all the praise being given-and rightfully so- to Morris, I dont think he is a long term answer at RB, I see more Olandis Gary, Tatum Bell & Rueben Droughns in this kid than I do Terrell Davis or Clinton Portis, plus the days of RB's having 10+ years of productivity are over, 3 great years seems to be the max now.

As for the D, the secondary needs help, maybe 3-4 new bodies, and London is not getting any younger, my only fear is that when he does leave that doesn't expose any other holes in the front 7, which, as it sits, doesn't get enough pressure on the QB on it's own through 4-5 man rushes.

So this is a team that has a great piece to build around, but the supply truck will be 2 year late. What I am fearful of is that the Shanny's will start to feel the heat before then and start making some crazy moves in order to save their jobs that ultimately cost this team more in the long run. Shanny does not have much patience, he wants to win now which is one of the reasons why I don't think he is the right coach for this team at this time, this team has an opportunity to build something great for the next 10 year plus if it is done correctly, but if knee jerk reaction moves are made so a coach can try and save his job, this buidling project could never really get off the ground and be a shameful waste of RG3's talents in DC.

Though the team could create nearly 3 mil by cutting him. You could fit in a replacement for not much more than that with creative accounting.

That's assuming we had to go that route. We'll have to wait and see.

Right...we currently have a guy who has stepped into that position and held his own in Jackson. I don't know that finding another OLB would make it to the top of my priority list even if Orakpo was done forever.

Right...we currently have a guy who has stepped into that position and held his own in Jackson. I don't know that finding another OLB would make it to the top of my priority list even if Orakpo was done forever.

I think Jackson and Alexander have both been decent, but the team really needs to improve the pass rush if Orakpo is out.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, though. Maybe you use the savings from Orakpo to spend on DBs and then look for an OLB at some point in the draft, maybe you find a 3-4 DE who can rush, etc.

There's been a HELL of a drop off man in Jackson. None more so than with Kerrigan. I think we'd have no choice but to look for a top tier edge rusher in the 34.

Hail.

You would address that ahead of the secondary? I certainly would not.

Our secondary would look significantly better with a better pass rush (kind of the inverse of what Gibbs was thinking when he drafted Landry). Any quarterback would look good given the amount of time and lack of pressure we're generating, and we've faced off against 5 or 6 pro bowl QBs. You reduce the amount of time they have to throw from 7 seconds to 3 or less (and yes, having a premier edge rusher would do that) will make our secondary look exponentially better.

Dallas was like 5 million under the cap after there penalty last year. They went out and got Carr and another couple of players for a lot more than 5 million. So there are always ways around the cap. As for draft, good teams find talent in later rounds and were only missing the 1st rd pick. So there is no reason why this team can't be a serious contender next year if we work on the secondary. We need to get healthy and work on the secondary. I mean every team in the NFL has holes the problem is most of our holes are on defense and in the secondary.

It is just so depressing. I am 22 years old and I only remember the playoffs from 07, and 05, I can't really remember that much before 2001. It is so frustrating because for once I see huge potential and we continue to find ways to lose games. Ever since I can remember the Redskins have found ways to lose games when they have had the lead or momentum.

This bomb against the Giants, last year against the Boys, dropped pick six in the playoffs against SEA. And so many more there are usually like 3-4 games that the Redskins lose each year were they just blow it.

Our D has been average-solid for the most part for the last decade. And now when our O is actually doing stuff the D is piss poor. And there are just too many holes to fill in a year. With no 1st round pick and with the cap hit. We need 2 safetys, 2 more quality CBs not saying top of the line but decent CBs. We need another LB to replace Fletch for next year. We need a better NT.

On O we need a quality RT and we are going to need more depth at Guard. And we need one more legit WR.

sadface

Our secondary would look significantly better with a better pass rush (kind of the inverse of what Gibbs was thinking when he drafted Landry). Any quarterback would look good given the amount of time and lack of pressure we're generating, and we've faced off against 5 or 6 pro bowl QBs. You reduce the amount of time they have to throw from 7 seconds to 3 or less (and yes, having a premier edge rusher would do that) will make our secondary look exponentially better.

I agree. But I think I'd still rather fill the roster with talented players in the secondary who can cover so that losing our pass rush doesn't cripple the entire defense. I am not contending that we wouldn't need to address OLB is Orakpo were gone for good, I'm just saying that I wouldn't deviate from the current plan of bolstering the secondary as the top priority.

---------- Post added October-22nd-2012 at 06:57 PM ----------

On O we need a quality RT and we are going to need more depth at Guard. And we need one more legit WR.

sadface

I don't think I agree with what you're calling "needs" right now. I would say that we "could use" upgrades along the OL, but I can't really say that any offensive position "needs" to be addressed for us to be a contender. If our D was middle of the pack right now, we'd be 5-2 or 6-1 and gaining momentum. So, down the road it would be great to be stronger on the OL and more consistent with our WRs, but our offense is humming with these weaknesses, so I would focus my attention on the secondary.

Archived