Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: RG3 Developing Faster Than Luck

Ghost of

Let me tel you something. I like Luck but Rg3 is way better. Still, as a giants fan, you couldn't force me to trade Eli for Rg3 and 2 First Rounders like y'all did to get him. Rg3 reminds me of a faster Mcnabb. Doubt he wins the big game anytime soon. No running qb has ever won the big game.

Faster McNabb? What? The RG3 is like (insert black QB) analysis is getting strange.

. Doubt he wins the big game anytime soon. No running qb has ever won the big game.

i've heard andy pollin lately talk several time about RG3 and how he's a running QB (essentially) and the fact that he can pass is a bonus. drives me nuts.

i'm not college scout by any means, but i've done alot of research about RG3 since the offseason. The man grades out spectacularly as a passer. the fact that he can run like an olympian is the bonus.

he's also very smart. his passing game should be as impressive as his speed the more games he gets under his belt.

Let me tel you something. I like Luck but Rg3 is way better. Still, as a giants fan, you couldn't force me to trade Eli for Rg3 and 2 First Rounders like y'all did to get him. Rg3 reminds me of a faster Mcnabb. Doubt he wins the big game anytime soon. No running qb has ever won the big game.

Nice ignorant blanket statement. What about the great scrambling or play extending QBs that people like to go back and revise as "Oh yeah but I mean he really was more of a passer". What about Staubach, Tarkenton, Steve Young, Elway, Rodgers, Big Ben, McNair etc... All of them extended the play or downright scrambled and have done very well, I can name some QBs who scrambled a lot with good pro careers that weren't perrenial all pros also but the list goes on. How do people think running a 4.3 is a liability, like RG3 will fail solely for the fact he has speed? It is a huge asset and an incredibly special trait. There is always a first for something, imagine if we didn't grab Doug Williams on the fact that "A black QB has never won a superbowl before so let's not waste our time since surely that means it can't happen ever".

It just blows my mind how people continue to call RG3 a running QB because they saw a highlight on sportscenter while ignoring the fact he is top 5 in QB rating, 1st in completion percentage, 2nd in YPA, tied 1st with lowest INT total... Your boy Eli is trailing him in multiple categories in passing.

It is starting to get annoying having to tell people this everyday.

That guy got wrecked on FO, dude. For one, he goes into the tired tripe about hits. Secondly, he actually got one of the snaps wrong in the fact that there was more than one dude on that side of the field. And the "tells" he talks about aren't legitimate since we don't know who is actually the primary receiver and whether he's instead looking at defense, not the receiver. His INTs would be higher and his COMP PCT lower if after several weeks he had tells that some douche on the internet can discern with his access to the playbook and primary receivers, initial reads. Oh wait, he doesn't have that. Besides, it's funny he talks about Atlanta but there's nothing in there about how he dissected MInnesota. Guys keep getting open and he keeps getting them the ball. I DO expect some hiccups and I expect that on some plays they give him half the field to read. But that article is lame.

Check the comment by Sam Hobarth on that post.

PCS, thanks man. It's been forever since I posted a thread, so I needed the tip :)

Once you recognize the coverage, of course, you go to the first read because if you recognized the coverage correctly and the receiver doesn't fall donw , your first read will be open.

---------- Post added October-17th-2012 at 08:45 PM ----------

I am not sure where he got the McNabb comparison. RGIII can't be compared to McNabb. McNabb threw wormkillers and could barely crack the 60% completion percentage mark for the whole season. He also couldn't run the option.

At best, McNabb was the proof of concept release in the RG3 project;

---------- Post added October-17th-2012 at 08:50 PM ----------

Cept....you know, that guy Elway. I wonder who was his coach back then.....hmmm....

There was also that the Rodgers guy, the Young guy and the Staubach guy. Others, like Tarkenton may never have won the SB, but they sure did win a few big games and played at a high levels for a long time. I mention those guys because calling RG3 a running QB is the same as calling those guys running QBs.

Griffin was set up to succeed quicker. Luck would have done the same in our system. They have a new coaching staff and philosophy that everyone is learning. Our staff and schemes have been around for a few years, only a handful have to learn it. That helps RG3 a lot.

I don't know how you quantify RG3's effect on defensive game planning, and the corresponding bump in Morris' game.

That said, from what I've seen of Luck while simul-watching at the sports bar, he is really ****ing savvy as a QB and will be a Top 5 QB in the league. If he isn't already.

Also, if you absolutely have to be a lemming and make an RG3 analogy, the best would be Steve Young after 4 or so years under Shanahan in San Francisco. By that time, he was a pocket passer who could run. Before, he was a running QB who could pass.

Faster McNabb? What? The RG3 is like (insert black QB) analysis is getting strange.
And I havent seen him throw any balls in the dirt. Listen if you wanna compare him he reminds me of a faster Steve young with a stronger arm.. And as far as the guy saying doubt he wins the big game cause no running qb has won the big game. Well he can sling it with the best of them he has a 70% completion percentage and over 100 QB rating. Hes far from just a running QB.

Steve Young? John Elway?

RG3 is closer to those two than he is to McNabb or Vick.

Nice ignorant blanket statement. What about the great scrambling or play extending QBs that people like to go back and revise as "Oh yeah but I mean he really was more of a passer". What about Staubach, Tarkenton, Steve Young, Elway, Rodgers, Big Ben, McNair etc... All of them extended the play or downright scrambled and have done very well, I can name some QBs who scrambled a lot with good pro careers that weren't perrenial all pros also but the list goes on. How do people think running a 4.3 is a liability, like RG3 will fail solely for the fact he has speed? It is a huge asset and an incredibly special trait. There is always a first for something, imagine if we didn't grab Doug Williams on the fact that "A black QB has never won a superbowl before so let's not waste our time since surely that means it can't happen ever".

It just blows my mind how people continue to call RG3 a running QB because they saw a highlight on sportscenter while ignoring the fact he is top 5 in QB rating, 1st in completion percentage, 2nd in YPA, tied 1st with lowest INT total... Your boy Eli is trailing him in multiple categories in passing.

It is starting to get annoying having to tell people this everyday.

Doing all this in six games. How good will he be by game 26.

not so fast according to this link. This one suggests RG3 has a tell before the play and goes to that particular read before the snap

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/10/15/robert-griffin-iii-first-ballot-inductee-not-so-fast/

That dudes got an axe to grind. If this was true, he wouldn't be completing 70% of his passes...or throwing to 8 different receivers a game.

Steve Young? John Elway?

RG3 is closer to those two than he is to McNabb or Vick.

He's faster and more elusive than Young and Elway. In that aspect he is comparable to Vick. He is probably closer to Young and Elway with his throwing, bootleg abilities. We got a super QB :P

Fail.

But yeah, thank you Jim Irsay. Thank you for your Luck man crush causing you to put blinders on and never really giving Bob a real look at #1 overall. We appreciate it.

Don't get me wrong. I think Luck will be great. But he has the potential to be just a great QB. Bob has the potential--that he's quickly showing to be very possible--to be a revolutionary type of player.

No QB has ever thrown a 75 yard touchdown and ran a 75 yard touchdown in the same season... Until RG3 just did it in 6 games. This league is constantly changing, no reason that wont. Besides, Aaron Rodgers ran over 60 times for over 300 yards the year he won the Super Bowl. But hes not a running QB right?

Steve Young, and RG3 is a passer also.

---------- Post added October-18th-2012 at 08:08 AM ----------

i've heard andy pollin lately talk several time about RG3 and how he's a running QB (essentially) and the fact that he can pass is a bonus. drives me nuts.

i'm not college scout by any means, but i've done alot of research about RG3 since the offseason. The man grades out spectacularly as a passer. the fact that he can run like an olympian is the bonus.

he's also very smart. his passing game should be as impressive as his speed the more games he gets under his belt.

I totally agree. I want to smack Andy Polian every time I hear that world class speed remark. Understand football speed and track speed does not always correlate.

I am delighted we have RGIII and the really exciting thing is that as good as he has been so far - thats just the start. However this was a deal where we literally could not go wrong, both Luck and RGIII are going to be elite and injuries willing be the next Peyton/Brady duel.

The article is BS. The author tries to convince us that he has the expertise to compare QBs on their performances when they play for two different teams. That's not possible.

As long as he stays healthy, RG3 is the best QB to ever play the game, in my opinion. Judging by his skillset, he can, on his own, do more to help his team win a game than any QB I've ever seen.

Will the fans and the media someday agree that he is the best ever? Probably not.

QBs are foolishly graded on team accomplishments, not on their own ability. Andrew Luck's team could eventually win more games. If it does, he will most likely be thought of as the better QB and people will exaggerrate his intangibles. "He reads defenses better and he's a better leader than RG3," they will say.

I don't know how you quantify RG3's effect on defensive game planning, and the corresponding bump in Morris' game.

That said, from what I've seen of Luck while simul-watching at the sports bar, he is really ****ing savvy as a QB and will be a Top 5 QB in the league. If he isn't already.

Also, if you absolutely have to be a lemming and make an RG3 analogy, the best would be Steve Young after 4 or so years under Shanahan in San Francisco. By that time, he was a pocket passer who could run. Before, he was a running QB who could pass.

I just hope RG3 doesn't have the same problem that Young had with concussions. Thats what I was thinking when he got hit in Atlanta.

Archived