Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: RG3 Developing Faster Than Luck

Ghost of

I don't think I have ever seen a rookie, or even any, QB display the overall package of skills at the level they present as RG3. If he continues, and they actually improve as reasonably expected (for example, gathering Peyton-level knowledge of all aspects of the pro game), he will end up being the Jordan/Ali/Gretsky etc. of QBs.

He's simply the best embodiment of mental/physical tools and execution, overall, I have ever seen, minus the really deep ball which I can only believe will come. My concern is the team he plays for allowing him full measure of potential in the next few years, and his health for the reasons you, myself, and others note.

boom.gif

I also think the key to his success is maintaining some level of coaching consistency from the offensive side of the ball.

How effective are the zone reads going to be? I mean, it isn't like the defense is clueless to what the offense is trying to do. Aren't they going to give false reads often enough to negate that strategy? What am I missing?
Imo the zone read will remain effective because its a sound concept. Its a numbers game. When an offense runs zone-read with a QB that is a capable runner the defense 'loses' its 1 man advantage in the running game. And when a defense fully commits to stopping a zone-read from a spread formation (i.e. tries to stop for no gain) they leave themselves open in the passing game via 1-1 on match-ups or forced into playing a known coverage Cover 3 (for example) its also sets a defense up for play action.

People often cringe or bristle and the comparison but Tebow is a good example of the effectiveness of the zone read and we all know Tebow isn't a gifted or even average passer. Defenses knew exactly what the Broncos were doing and even that mostly 1 dimesional zone-read based offense was effective.

I'm not keen on the speed option or the triple option in the pro game as you know. Yes, they give defenses something else to prepare for, but they expose my QB to hits I'd rather eliminate.
I don't think its tenable as the basis of your offense unless you have completely change the paradigm of the QB to more of a running back where a team keeps 3-4 zone-read capable QBs on the roster and accordingly spreads out the pay. But I digress......

Maybe the point lost in my wall of text is that I think the offensive staff is going to have to move away from a reliance on the read option plays (zone-read, triple option, speed option) and evolve into a more spread shotgun passing offense that occasionally uses read-option.

his deep ball is great. his receivers have dropped a couple, and he hasn't really thrown that many (due to a well-justified lack of confidence in his protection)

Pass protection has been decent to good in the main. It fell apart a bit the game Trent went down with the ankle and Black had to come in and Polumbus has some issues if he does not get help but this line has been better than I expected to this point.

Part of that though is the threat RGIII provides with his speed and mobility plus the amount of running we are doing with passing off play action is slowing defenses down and protecting the line.

...Maybe the point lost in my wall of text is that I think the offensive staff is going to have to move away from a reliance on the read option plays (zone-read, triple option, speed option) and evolve into a more spread shotgun passing offense that occasionally uses read-option.
No...I caught that.

I think our difference of opinion can be illustrated by the Tebow example. I see nothing wrong with using a 250 pound QB (who can't pass well anyway) in the option. With RG3, a once-in-a-lifetime talent, that's a different story. In his case, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

He ran the option for a seven-yard gain against the Vikes and slid down awkwardly at the end. On another play, he gained seven yards on a boot and cruised out at the sideline. I like the sideline seven over the slide seven.

I don't care if people label him a running QB anymore, but I don't want them to.

I don't care if people label him a passing QB either, but I don't want them to.

I want them to call him a "winning" QB above all else.

---------- Post added October-19th-2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

;9216008']To me' date=' this is a no brainer. Luck did have a nice comeback against the Packers. But RGIII has been doing it every game. He looks good. I saw stats where he doesn't throw the ball deep often but with his abilities, he doesn't have too. It is almost like the Skins play small ball in a baseball reference. And he hits a homerun with his legs a lot. RGIII is quite a bit ahead of Luck in my opinion.[/quote']

Yeah, he's taking what the defense is giving him, but I believe when the defense starts to cheat up, you'll see the long ball more. I think the Shanahans have also coddled him a bit in that regard as it was known that he had a way better deep ball than Luck.

I think our difference of opinion can be illustrated by the Tebow example. I see nothing wrong with using a 250 pound QB (who can't pass well anyway) in the option. With RG3, a once-in-a-lifetime talent, that's a different story. In his case, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.
Imo the fact that Tebow a limited passer could be effective running the zone read exclusively is proof that the zone-read is sound (Denver didn't use speed or triple option). Teams knew exactly what the Broncos were doing and still struggled to stop it.

But, to be clear I'm not advocating using the triple option or speed option very much at all.

I am advocating moving away from our current reliance on the zone-read to an offense where the zone-read is used as a complement to a spread shotgun passing offense.

I can envision an offense that is a mix of the Packers/Lions/Bills except with the occasional sprinkle of zone-read and of course zone-read play action.

I like the sideline seven over the slide seven.
I think we all do.

What impresses me about Robert is how fast he sets up and throws. And his quick release. He's getting rid of the ball a lot of times before three seconds. So not only is he fast, be he reads defenses efficiently. The other things that impresses me is that he's learning to just take what the defense gives him. He's becoming very effective and dumping the ball off on the check downs. He's a nightmare for defenses. This offense is only going to get better and better and play with more swag. You know, the confidence of knowing they're good. You're already seeing signs. A feeling of being unstoppable. What a pick up.

It's going to turn out to be the best trade in Redskin history. Shanny finally has his next Elway. Gonna be exciting.

it was known that he had a way better deep ball than Luck.

I would honestly say it's pretty even. Luck threw a lot fewer passes of 40+ yards at Stanford because that's the type of offense they ran.

I think RG3's ball trajectory is just more pleasing to the eye.. He tends to throw high rainbow-type passes whereas Luck throws more line drives.

Luck has Reggie Wayne, which is on pace to a personnal record breaking season in terms of yardage. He gained 593 yards in 5 games, so he is on pace to gain 1,900 yards for the season. Robert doesn't have a Reggie Wayne to throw the ball to.

Some people say sky is the limit, when I see Robert playing I would extend this limit above. In the end I think Robert will always be a step ahead of Luck, just how he was in college when he won the Heisman.

Archived