Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: RG3 Developing Faster Than Luck

Ghost of

I agree with Oldfan. RGIII has that "we gotta win" mentality, and he proved it when he ran and took that hit against the Falcons. He can move while reading the field, and when he sees an opening, he takes it, like the TD run(s) against the Vikings. I couldn't be happier with our choice, and what we "paid" will be worth it when we go to the playoffs this season, maybe next. (Yes, I'm the optimist.):D

HTTR!

I am not sure where he got the McNabb comparison. RGIII can't be compared to McNabb. McNabb threw wormkillers and could barely crack the 60% completion percentage mark for the whole season. He also couldn't run the option.

More importantly Dono was mobile and athletic. He wasn't a "running" QB. Once again, keep thinking he's a running QB and stack the box to stuff the run. I can't wait to see how his arm responds.

Let me tel you something. I like Luck but Rg3 is way better. Still, as a giants fan, you couldn't force me to trade Eli for Rg3 and 2 First Rounders like y'all did to get him. Rg3 reminds me of a faster Mcnabb. Doubt he wins the big game anytime soon. No running qb has ever won the big game.

Uh....Steve Young? Aaron Rodgers?

RG3 is already a far better passer than McNugget. If u need to compare him to a famous black Eagles QB, you should've gone for Randall Cunningham.

RG3 has looked like the better passer between him and Luck. That's where the misconception comes in. RG3 has been more accurate and made better decisions with the ball than Andrew Luck. Is that because his team is better? Yeah that probably has something to do with it, but it's not like the Redskins have ONE SINGLE pro bowler on offense. The whole "RG3 has a better cast" argument only takes you so far when you actually look at the roster and go, "Where is all this talent he's supposedly surrounded with!?"

RG3 has looked like the better passer between him and Luck. That's where the misconception comes in. RG3 has been more accurate and made better decisions with the ball than Andrew Luck. Is that because his team is better? Yeah that probably has something to do with it, but it's not like the Redskins have ONE SINGLE pro bowler on offense. The whole "RG3 has a better cast" argument only takes you so far when you actually look at the roster and go, "Where is all this talent he's supposedly surrounded with!?"

Reggie Wayne is better than any Redskins receiver in the last what, 20 years?

Reggie Wayne is better than any Redskins receiver in the last what, 20 years?

Numbers aside, I think Henry Ellard was better. Henry Ellard was one of the best to ever play the position. Henry was doing it too without benefit of a HoF type guy (with the Skins.) Also, I'm not entirely sure Reggie is better than Santana in his prime. He was the beneficiary of Marvin Harrison's decline and playing with someone who can make anyone an 80 catch receiver. Santana has played with a lot of crap at QB and now he has an elite talent, he is no longer in his prime.

Numbers aside, I think Henry Ellard was better. Henry Ellard was one of the best to ever play the position. Henry was doing it too without benefit of a HoF type guy (with the Skins.) Also, I'm not entirely sure Reggie is better than Santana in his prime. He was the beneficiary of Marvin Harrison's decline and playing with someone who can make anyone an 80 catch receiver. Santana has played with a lot of crap at QB and now he has an elite talent, he is no longer in his prime.

Playing with Manning is obviously a huge boost but Wayne is a supremely talented WR. More versatile than #89. Ellard was a big play maker if I remember correctly. I don't think he was a much of a possession receiver as Wayne but certainly an equal deep threat if not better.

I have read through all the comments here and both opinion pieces. I agree 100% that RGIII is incredible and couldn't be happier with his performance thus far I'd like someone to break down the Atlanta game a bit more. What was it they were doing that caused the offense to have so many issues? My gut tells me it was play calling. Were the skins simply not executing or was Atlanta doing something to shut it down? Did the skins go away from the run too early. Also I think it's important to note that this is a copy cat league and the guy who wrote that article really knew what he was talking about then the rest of the league would have been able to pick up on it by now. We see this nearly every week in the NFL. One team is cruising along winning games handily and then a defensive coordinator comes up with a defense to stop it. Suddenly that offense isn't as successful in the following games. We haven't seen that happen to the Redskins, yet.

Playing with Manning is obviously a huge boost but Wayne is a supremely talented WR. More versatile than #89. Ellard was a big play maker if I remember correctly. I don't think he was a much of a possession receiver as Wayne but certainly an equal deep threat if not better.

Wayne never "popped" off the screen to me but I'll give you more versatile with the possession aspect. But Ellard was a big play maker AND a great route runner. Truly one of the best ever, Wayne is not remotely on Ellard's level, especially since Henry stacked numbers in the pre-pass happy era (and had to share catches with Flipper Anderson.) Ellard is kind of forgotten now, sadly. There are almost no WRs of his caliber in the game right now.

I frankly don't care about the Luck vs RG3 comparisons. When we made the trade, we did it knowing full well that if Indy decided to change their mind and go with RG3 (as unlikely as that was), that Luck was fully worth the price we paid. I wish him all the best, at least until RG3 smokes him in the Super Bowl one day (or when we play them in Indy in 2014).

To continue the derail,(let's be cautious with this though),Henry Ellard was also a very good possession receiver,especially in the latter part of his career. Also an amazing route runner. Guy could sell one route while running another better than many I've watched over the years. IMHO of course.

Anyway. Back to the topic of the thread. I do realize there will always be comparisons,but as for develops fastest,I'm not too concerned. Right now,Robert seems to be doing just fine and I am of course,good with that. :)

It just blows my mind how people continue to call RG3 a running QB because they saw a highlight on sportscenter while ignoring the fact he is top 5 in QB rating, 1st in completion percentage, 2nd in YPA, tied 1st with lowest INT total... Your boy Eli is trailing him in multiple categories in passing.

It is starting to get annoying having to tell people this everyday.

I don't think it's inaccurate to call RG3 a running QB, as long as you don't claim that's all he is. Clearly, he's a passing QB too. The guy's just plain talented in multiple ways, and can win with both his arm and his legs. I like the comparisons to Steve Young (NFL leader for career rushing TDs by a QB, but also a great passer) the best. And for the silly Giants fan, Young not only won 3 Super Bowls, he was also a Super Bowl and NFL MVP!

Let me tel you something. I like Luck but Rg3 is way better. Still, as a giants fan, you couldn't force me to trade Eli for Rg3 and 2 First Rounders like y'all did to get him. Rg3 reminds me of a faster Mcnabb. Doubt he wins the big game anytime soon. No running qb has ever won the big game.

Wait a minute here. He reminds you of a faster McNabb. Ok let's be real here. How many one hops has RGIII thrown compared to McNabb? RGIII is a far better passer at this point where McNabb was in year 2. McNabb was exciting, but McNabb will throw that one hop that will piss you off when the receiver is open. Like a poster said, he reminds you more of Scramble Randall but with a Steve Young/Warren Moon passing mentality. He's like a clone of those three.

They are all holding their preseason predictions of the Redskins against us. No one in their right mind thought we would be nearly this good. Robert is not your typical Rookie, the guy is truly special. His command, reading the Defense, understanding where teammates should be and when, the checks... just to name a few. Luck will be good as well but he is not better than Griffin, not now not ever. HTTR!

They are all holding their preseason predictions of the Redskins against us. No one in their right mind thought we would be nearly this good. Robert is not your typical Rookie, the guy is truly special. His command, reading the Defense, understanding where teammates should be and when, the checks... just to name a few. Luck will be good as well but he is not better than Griffin, not now not ever. HTTR!

I think RG3's immediate success as a rookie is partly due to the fact that RG3 is smart, talented, and hard-working, and partially due to the fact that more and more colleges are running pro-style offenses which mean the transition from college to pro is that much easier. The days of the highly-drafted rookie QB learning on the bench for 1-3 years are done. Unless the rookie is clearly much, much worse than the veterans in camp, he needs to play right away and develop on the field. The top talents like RG3, Luck, etc., are attending these passing camps and playing in more sophisticated offenses in college, and are coming to the NFL so much more ready to play right away.

The article is BS. The author tries to convince us that he has the expertise to compare QBs on their performances when they play for two different teams. That's not possible.

As long as he stays healthy, RG3 is the best QB to ever play the game, in my opinion. Judging by his skillset, he can, on his own, do more to help his team win a game than any QB I've ever seen.

Will the fans and the media someday agree that he is the best ever? Probably not.

QBs are foolishly graded on team accomplishments, not on their own ability. Andrew Luck's team could eventually win more games. If it does, he will most likely be thought of as the better QB and people will exaggerrate his intangibles. "He reads defenses better and he's a better leader than RG3," they will say.

That is a huge endorsement Oldfan... Are you say that RG3 could revolutionize the position?

That is a huge endorsement Oldfan... Are you say that RG3 could revolutionize the position?
No. As long as he can stay healthy, he's the best ever. But, the longevity of his career would be a major question.

The more you use his legs, the more value he has. But, the more you use his legs, the more likely an injury.

Teams have to consider that before they go for a QB with skills like Robert's.

The article is BS. The author tries to convince us that he has the expertise to compare QBs on their performances when they play for two different teams. That's not possible.

As long as he stays healthy, RG3 is the best QB to ever play the game, in my opinion. Judging by his skillset, he can, on his own, do more to help his team win a game than any QB I've ever seen.

Will the fans and the media someday agree that he is the best ever? Probably not.

QBs are foolishly graded on team accomplishments, not on their own ability. Andrew Luck's team could eventually win more games. If it does, he will most likely be thought of as the better QB and people will exaggerrate his intangibles. "He reads defenses better and he's a better leader than RG3," they will say.

Hey now, there's something we fully, completely, 100% agree on! :cheers:

What's this world coming to? :ols:

More than anything else RG3 has been frighteningly efficient. Consider this, Luck has completed 5 more passes than Griffin but has needed 60 more attempts to do so. What I think will happen over time is that Griffin will pass more than he does now. He's been able to mask his rookie learning curve with his legs but as he grows as a professional he'll be able to throw more often.

No. As long as he can stay healthy, he's the best ever. But, the longevity of his career would be a major question.

The more you use his legs, the more value he has. But, the more you use his legs, the more likely an injury.

Teams have to consider that before they go for a QB with skills like Robert's.

Best ever?

Pump the brakes man.

Archived