Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think RG3 got enough work in preseason? Poll

NAC386

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If everyone will get over the fact that we aren't contending this year, then yes, it's ok.

It's going to be a looooong year fella's, and RG3 is going to look like a rookie. That Saints game might be a disaster. But if we can all breathe and realize, RG3 is going to do what rookies do. Suck....until he gets accustomed to the game.

I don't know,there have been some pretty successful rookie QBs lately.My guess would be that RG3 falls somewhere in between super and dreadful.More than likely there will be times he lights it up and times he stinks it up.There are some good weapons around him and if the O-line is servicable and the Defense holds up it could be a decent year.

:2cents:What people are forgetting when they get all soap-boxy about this is that having RGIII play more means having then entire starting offense play more. And more exposure = more chance of injury. If not to RGIII, then to one of the other guys on offense.

Trent Williams got a banged up foot on a bizarre play in a meaningless game. If they had the starting O out there for another 5-10 series to get another 15-25 pass attempts, more bizarre things could have happened to a lot of guys.

Also, in those remaining snaps, the 'Skins starting O would not be playing against starters.

Personally, I file this under, "eh, would have been nice, but eh, whatever." I don't think an additional 10-20 passes would really greatly change his preparation for week 1 against the Saints. Just my :2cents:

I think this was a calculated move. We have a very good defense and Griffin got a lot of quality time in during practice. This makes up for lost time in pre season games IMO.

I think we are getting ready to unleash a customized offense that no one has any film on. Which makes me hopefull that we can keep up with the Brees scorathon next week.

I think this was a calculated move. We have a very good defense and Griffin got a lot of quality time in during practice. This makes up for lost time in pre season games IMO.

I think we are getting ready to unleash a customized offense that no one has any film on. Which makes me hopefull that we can keep up with the Brees scorathon next week.

This is what I'm hoping for too.

Given the state of our Oline I am happy that he didn't have significantly more snaps to get beat up on by opposing defenses.

Plus, him going against 2s isn't really practicing for game day and he was only pulled out maybe 1 series too early from playing against starters of the other team in all games.

Enough work for what exactly? He's a rookie QB and unless he retires he's going to have plenty of experience coming from that thing known as the "regular season". Throwing 10 more passes this preseason wasn't going to make the road any shorter, experience takes time.

Yeah, I think he learned all he was going to in pre-season. I'm happy with the amount of work he got.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2012 at 09:32 PM ----------

I think he got enough playing time. I don't think he got enough attempts. I felt like we ran to much, and when we did pass it was pretty vanilla.

Uuuuhhh....it's pre-season. Vanilla is what pre-season is about. It was more about seeing how well he ran the offense. Why would they give opponents film on him? Let him get some game speed experience, throw a couple passes, hand the ball off mostly, & get the real experience when it counts.

I believe he is very very bright and has a lower learning curve than anyone but Luck.

His arm, his legs, whatever, his brain is good. Fast learner, critical thinker, probably has never repeated a mistake in his life. The ball will always be fumbled or intercepted eventually, but I can't wait to see this 'kid' as a 5 year veteran 'man' just dominating and possibly reinventing the game.

So....preseason time is meh IMO. Real game time is what he really needs and he's going to get 100% of it. So it's all good.

That's not happening. We will receive a serious (and much needed) reality check next this Sunday.

Well now, reality check? Who's reality? Assuming that NO defense sucks like expected and they continue to have little in the way of a running game, what's the plan? You don't think Brees is going to be running for his life?

Drew Brees throw picks too you know...He has good WR's and an accurate strong arm that goes with his experience. He's going to throw TD's. No dispute. But he'll have a much harder time throwing them on the run or from his back with this defense.

NO had a very easy schedule last year and lost 3 times...Opening day loss to GB, and then TB and St.Louis. He only threw 1 TD pass in each of the TB and St.Louis losses. He throws about 45 times a game and averages 350 yds a game. What get's me is why nobody is considering that Brees is good for about 21 points per game...with no running game, the game plan is clear. Minus all the coaches and players suspended, why is this a 'Reality Check'?

The Saints defense is primed to be the victim of a RGIII coming out party! Way more than another 45+ pass attempt, 350 yard, 3 TD Drew Brees performance would spell a Redskins Reality Check.

This will be a close game, but the Redskins will not be blown out and most likely will present more than a problem for Drew Bress. Just as well, RGIII is going up against a weak defense is in first NFL game. I'll take the Skins. HTTR!!!!

Eli Manning 43 pass attempts, played in the 4th preseason game (current champ)

Peyton Manning 42 pass attempts

Drew Brees 47 pass attempts

All three are SB champions and are future HOFers

Here's my take on these stats and your theory C26 Run............;)

While I understand what you're saying, here's another view too. The first three QB's with exception of Peyton Manning, have been in the same offense forever and have a great command of their offense and other teams have plenty of tape on them to view so it doesn't matter to them how many times they throw the ball. Joe Flacco is what he is and know his offense as well. Russell Wilson was in a QB competition with Flynn and didn't win the starting role until the 3rd preseason game. So he had to show accuracy and how much of the offensive playbook he knows for them to make that decision to start him

Luck will NOT be used like Shanny will be using Griffin. Luck also threw the ball against base vanilla defenses that didn't game plan much if at all against him. And he threw a pick six and didn't do much of anything against our number 1's, except when we where trying to evaluate players in different defensive positions. In addition to that alot of Luck passes was against 2nd and 3rd stringers and in his first preseason game 3rd and 4th stringer because he played alot longer.

I love how we kept RG3 and what this offense will really be doing and how many ways RG3 will be utilized in the season with boots, play action keepers, options, speed options, and the pistol formation that teams have NO idea as to what we will be doing. They did right in my opinion as it relates to how they handled RG3. Who cares what naysayers, experts and anxious fans want to see. Had RG3 played more and got hurt then the same ones that are screaming for him to have been played more would be saying how stupid Shanny was for playing him that much and taking those kinds of risk with OUR "Franchise" QB!!!

The Redskins for as long as I can remember ALWAYS go into the regular season with injuries and a skilled position be it the oline, wr, or on defense somewhere because of injuries in preseason games that DO NOT matter!!!

Our team is fairly healthy FINALLY going into the first game of the season. Now we wanted our coaches to take a HUGE risk with our first Franchise QB since Jesus died on the cross in a game(s) that don't matter because other teams did it!!!!! Whew........................

Joe Flacco 60 pass attempts

Russell Wilson 63 pass attempts

Andrew Luck 66 pass attempts (allegedly the most "NFL ready" rookie QB)

The veterans in the league that have won Super Bowls have had more pass attempts than Robert. Even the rookies on this list had more reps for their team. I understand the injury concern but all 6 QBs listed are playing in the season opener for their respective teams.

Griffin absolutely should've gotten more reps and pass attempts this preseason. I also think that some of the new wrinkles in the offensive playbook should have been seen as well. All great offenses are well timed and precise. You can't simulate the environment of a game in practice. It's just not possible. I don't blame Griffin on this, he's player and he has to follow his coaches' gameplan but he definitely should've gotten more work in the preseason.

:helmet:

Why I think it is not a problem that he had far less pass attempts than other rookie QBs.

As I understand it Shanny had our defense give him different looks and come with pressure in 11 on 11 (running, not jogging) practices precisely in order to get him game like exposure. His success in those preseason games showed he was not rattled when pressured and did not make mistakes (zero interceptions). So, while it is true that the more you play, the more experience you gain, the better you will perform, Shanny's method of giving Robert game like exposure in practice may work just as well as practicing against another team in preseason games.

It doesn't matter how much he got in the preseason as long as the coaches feel he played well. You have to understand that all the other QB's needed the work like Cousins. RGIII gets all the first team reps so Cousins needs those reps. Luck and the rest probably didn't impress their coaches as much. Wilson wasn't made the starter until after the last preseason game where he played lights out, Tannehill was still in a competition and Luck just didn't seem that impressive. He attempted twice as many passes with only one more TD's but 2 INT's. RGIII is a rookie and he is going to make his share of mistakes but I can live with it as long as I see improvement throughout the year. Besides more reps in preseason doesn't limit how many TD's or INT's a QB throws. I think we as fans get worried about the lack of things rather than what we don't see. So seeing less reps sometimes will make people say that he may not be ready because he had less reps. I wouldn't worry because he is going to be who he is with or without the same amount of preseason reps.

Archived