Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think RG3 got enough work in preseason? Poll

NAC386

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

He very, very nearly did complete a deep ball, and the Colts didn't keep a guy in the box. I think the NFL knows that RG3 has a great arm, and he came within a finger tip of completing a pass.

The Bills tried to stack the box on him in that first preseason game, and it almost worked until Robert threw some intermediate passes and loosened them up. It's not just about throwing deep in that regards.

The Colts defense sucks. The Bills was probably the best defense that Robert saw.

NO isn't great, but they blitz a lot. That's what they do. So they will likely blitz the hell out of a rookie QB in his first regular season start and hope it works.

The Colts defense sucks. The Bills was probably the best defense that Robert saw.

NO isn't great, but they blitz a lot. That's what they do. So they will likely blitz the hell out of a rookie QB in his first regular season start and hope it works.

With Griffin teams will have to be very disciplined when the blitz and stunt. If they leave a gap with his speed it could go for huge yardage. Not something you have to worry about with most QB's.

Sure they will, that's true of any New QB in the NFL. I just think we finally have one that might be able to back them the heck off.

I hope so too. I'm just saying, the game plan against him would be much harder had he completed a couple deep throws in the pre-season. Luck will be much harder to game plan for game 1 at this point.

Hopefully Robert comes out and makes them pay, but if it works we are stuck with that crap until he makes them pay.

They blitzed a lot with Gregg Williams there.

Spags is a much better d-coordinator. He relies a lot more on his d-line getting pressure and sacks then heavy blitzing. Which isn't to say he won't blitz, but I don't think Spags is as blitz crazy as Gregg Williams was.

I hope so too. I'm just saying, the game plan against him would be much harder had he completed a couple deep throws in the pre-season. Luck will be much harder to game plan for game 1 at this point.

Hopefully Robert comes out and makes them pay, but if it works we are stuck with that crap until he makes them pay.

I think regardless of what he did in preseason with a rook QB the book is to go complicated and blitz happy until he makes you come out of it.

Well, I got Shuler's numbers from this article on game #1 in his debut.

* “It’s not like he was horrible,” [Norv] Turner said of Shuler, who was 9-of-22 for 61 yards. “He was just a little bit off. That is the big question. Can we take him from being just a little bit off to being on? And how long does it take?”

from Dan Steinberg, Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/morning-pixels-heath-shulers-preseason-debut/2012/08/09/bdef7978-e227-11e1-98e7-89d659f9c106_blog.html

Can anyone help me get Shuler's next 3 game totals?

Thanks!

So wait; you're saying that if Griffin completes a few deep balls against the Colts, teams would know to stay back and not stack the box and blitz. But you're also saying that the Colts defense sucks and it doesn't matter that he almost completed those passes. So if the Colts defense sucks, and he completes those deep balls...well, wouldn't teams just chalk it up to the Colts defense sucking?

I think regardless of what he did in preseason with a rook QB the book is to go complicated and blitz happy until he makes you come out of it.

I don't think you'll see them try that with Luck, I think Luck has already proved he'll beat it if you do. Don't think Robert really got many chances to prove that yet.

Maybe that's part of the plan.. along with Fred Davis almost getting zero touches.. who knows.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2012 at 05:23 PM ----------

So wait; you're saying that if Griffin completes a few deep balls against the Colts, teams would know to stay back and not stack the box and blitz. But you're also saying that the Colts defense sucks and it doesn't matter that he almost completed those passes. So if the Colts defense sucks, and he completes those deep balls...well, wouldn't teams just chalk it up to the Colts defense sucking?

no its more of a point that the Colts defense sucks and he tried to connect twice and missed.

I don't think you'll see them try that with Luck, I think Luck has already proved he'll beat it if you do. Don't think Robert really got many chances to prove that yet.

I'd bet you see it with Luck a lot. Especially with Indys O line. it will last until he throws his way out of it. The looks in preseason are not nearly as complex, so you'll see teams try to confuse the young QBs with blitz/coverage until they prove it's to dangerous for them to keep doing it.

OK...So Redskins 4 preseason games in 1994 were

@Buffalo (4-10 for 47 yards with an interception)

Chiefs (I have shuler for 9--22 for 61 Yards)

(he later corrected a mistake..author of WP)

@Patriots (5-8 for 32 yards)

Steelers (19-30 for 206 yards)

I will edit, when I find them...

(regarding comparing these to 2012 RG3)

OK..

So far in shulers first 3 games, he was 37--70 for 346 yards & 1 INT.

Don't have the last pre season game yet, but trying.

Anyways, he threw more in his first 2 preseason games, than RG3 did ALL of the 2012 Preseason and look how that 94' season went.

That's all I needed to know.

I know how I'm voting.

God, I love numbers...;)

OK...So Redskins 4 preseason games in 1994 were

@Buffalo (4-10 for 47 yards with an interception)

Chiefs (I have shuler for 9--22 for 61 Yards)

(he later corrected a mistake..author of WP)

@Patriots (unknown so far)

Steelers (unknown so far)

I will edit, when I find them...

(regarding comparing these to 2012 RG3)

He was 9/22 for 61 yards against the chiefs. He was 4/10 for 47 yards and an int against buffalo.

You beat me to it. :(

So in Shuler's first 4 Preseason games in 1994?

He was 37/70 for 346 Yards & 0 TD's & 1 INT.

That's 53% passing & already more pass attempts, than RG3 got in 4 games. Which was RG3- 20/31, 2 Tds, 0 Ints, 103 QBR

(Still trying to get last preseason game from Shuler)

And terrible stats, I might add as well as a Redskins 1-3 record VS a 2012 3-1 record.

Interesting...

It's really not possible to now for sure. I think the thinking behind how Shanny played him is not to risk injury mainly because what the plan was is not to run our real offense and since he was not going to show it in preseason, why risk his health much. The real question is how wise was it to not run your real O during preseason. We'll begin to find out the answers next Sunday.

This. And if were not going to show our "new" offense in PS the more reps you give to RGIII the more "fake offense" (for the lack of a better term) you force him to learn. They probably gave him a set number of vanilla offensive plays to work with (which are base plays to the entire offensive gameplan) and just let him repeat those. You can only run the same plays over and over so many times before you either have to show something new, or you're just wasting time (it kind of limited how many series he could actually play in, whether he wanted to or not). So i'm assuming they figured they'll let Rex & KC run that offense so the coaches could evaluate the other positions, in the meantime the real work is being done behind closed doors during "Practice" <allen iverson voice in my head as I type that> :)

RGIII didn't get a lot of reps, but it's ok.

He proved he can be efficient running the offense, and that he doesn't need to be flashy or anything. As far as I'm concerned, he got to put the offense through its paces on several long drives and did well, and came out of it healthy. That's all we needed.

Well, i think the reason i wanted rgiii to get more work in preseason as those were the only opportunities i had to see our new qb......so probably more of a personal agenda there.....:ols:

But, to be fair, this is not the coach's first rodeo with a potential stud qb.....so i will side with the coaches shanahan on this issue.

And....couple of other posts i wanted to comment on.....think da bears d was better than the bills. Also, still fail to see how we could only be expected to win vs 3 teams, think browns, rams and vikings were those teams. We played the girlz close last season and should have at least split. We beat the giants twice, and convincingly at their house late in the season. If we get any production from our offense, i can see us around .500.....i think if we have only 3 wins, we either will have some significant injuries, or something will unexpectedly go wrong in a big way...like rgiii is a bust, our wr corps are duds, no running game.....

OK..Using 4 preseason games from Shuler 94' VS RG3 12', by concluding the answer to the question?

Should RG3 have had, more passing attempts this preseason?

We have Heath Shuler

He was 37/70 for 346 Yards & 0 TD's & 1 INT.

53% passing

Summary: Shuler 94' had 39 more pass attempts, that Robert Griffin III.

He did NOT throw 1 single TD, but did throw 1 INT in limited action preseason.

As the #3 pick in RD1 in 1994, he would go on to start in 8 games for the Redskins & finish with a combined total of 120--265 for 1,658 Yards Passing. That's 45.3% passing and with 10 TD's & 12 INT's. He also had 26 carries for 103 yards rushing as well. John Friesz & Gus Frerotte would go on to replace Shuler his rookie season by starting 4 games each that year.

Shuler would only end up having 3 seasons with the Washington Redskins from 1994, 1995 & 1996, before going to the Saints for the 1997 & 1998 seasons. He would then be out of football after only 5 seasons.

His career totals were 292/593 for 3,691 Yards.

15 TD's & 33 INT's at a 49.2% rate.

All in all....This should show you....just because you have 70+ pass attempts in preseason, does not mean it will help you.

RG3 could quite possibly throw for more TD's & Yards in this rookie season (15), than Heath Shuler had in his entire NFL football career.

Relax, my fellow Redskins fans.

Archived