Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think RG3 got enough work in preseason? Poll

NAC386

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd second Rooner's comments. If the teams W-L record improves this season -- there will be a lot more confidence in the Shana-plan, and in Griffin's leadership.

Griffins getting a lot of practice against a good front 7, and a somewhat adequate defensive secondary. No need to keep him in a long time against second string pre-season opposition and tip off the NFL as to his tendencies, tells, strengths/weaknesses, etc. Maybe we can steal a few wins before the NFL figures out how to best scheme their defenses against a Griffen-led attack.

That said, I might have liked to see him play a little longer practicing against the secondaries of the Bills and Bears. (But the Bills came out flat, so maybe just the Bears secondary.)

Maybe Shanahan felt it was important to showcase Cousins in pre-season, and give him some game experience because he's not getting too much more game time for while now.

If you look at the preseason stats, one would think that he didn't have enough time and could have used significantly more. I believe that griffin is very well prepared and shanny wants to keep it under tabs until the start of the season. He will endure bumps and bruises this season along with some bad games, but no doubt, I think that he is ready to show off his skills and playmaking abilities. HTTR!

It's a delicate balance. On one hand you want to get him a good body of work in a game situation. He needs to build rapport, confidence and consistency. On the other hand, preseason games are often chaotic and risky from an injury point of view - a result of the large rosters and substitutions leading to less than effective teamwork.

It is therefore really hard to say whether a lighter schedule like RG III's or a heavier schedule is right. Time will tell. At least he starts off the regular season healthy and having had some success in preseason. That's probably the best we could ask for.

I think he played enough. I think to keep him in and run vanilla offense would be detrimental. We didn't really see what this offense is about. Running to the right 5 times in a row probably won't happen in the season, but who knows.

Lets be happy all of our starters made it healthy, and hope that we're ready for NO. Thats all I care about.

Hail!!!

Split perfectly in half. Interesting. I personally think that running the vanilla offense of preseason can only help you get into the swing of things for so long. Eventually he needs to be able to open it up, and that means with the full cooperation of a HC and OC gameplanning for a game they want to win no matter what...not a game they are more interested in evaluating later.

I would have liked to see Griffin get more reps.

I think Griffin wanted to get more reps, he briefly mentioned that after the Bills game.

And not only were his reps low for rookies his reps were low for veterans.

I'm of the belief that a QB and a passing offense can get in rhythm during pre-season.

But whether Griffin got enough is subjective and amorphous.

So for me the more important question is...will Griffin be ready Week 1?

And I have no qualms about Griffin being ready because...well......dude's a stud.

Reaffirmation:

o quick release

o quick feet

o escapability

o long ball distance

o touch

o velocity to throw the deep sideline out

o ability to go throw progressions

o poise

I wonder how Kyle/Mike are going to manage Griffin.

Are they gonna manage and protect him through playcalling like they did in the preseason?

Or are they gonna let him come out and sling it around?

I suspect Griffin is gonna be tightly managed at first then as the season progresses shoulder more and more of the offensive burden.

And who knows how they're gonna mix in the shotgun/pistol read option elements of the offense?

Griffin has the physical skillset to do some special things.

I can't wait to see it.

Eli Manning 43 pass attempts, played in the 4th preseason game (current champ)

Peyton Manning 42 pass attempts

Drew Brees 47 pass attempts

All three are SB champions and are future HOFers

Joe Flacco 60 pass attempts

Russell Wilson 63 pass attempts

Andrew Luck 66 pass attempts (allegedly the most "NFL ready" rookie QB)

The veterans in the league that have won Super Bowls have had more pass attempts than Robert. Even the rookies on this list had more reps for their team. I understand the injury concern but all 6 QBs listed are playing in the season opener for their respective teams.

Griffin absolutely should've gotten more reps and pass attempts this preseason. I also think that some of the new wrinkles in the offensive playbook should have been seen as well. All great offenses are well timed and precise. You can't simulate the environment of a game in practice. It's just not possible. I don't blame Griffin on this, he's player and he has to follow his coaches' gameplan but he definitely should've gotten more work in the preseason.

:helmet:

I've got a couple feelings about this. First, I wish Griffin had more opportunities to throw in the preseason, but I don't think 30 more throws would have made that big of a difference. It's not as if I think any of those other QBs are going to be better just because they've thrown 30 more passes in meaningless games.

Second Griffin did a great job with his throwing opportunities (besides not connecting on a deep ball, which will likely be worked out in 3 or 4 games, maybe more, not 30 passes). He threw a couple TDs, no INTs, and he made good decisions most of the time. Nothing really awful there, he's the only one to throw 0 picks, and his one fumble was an easily corrected mistake.

Last, I think the fact that we were working on our running game as much as our passing game and I feel GREAT about our running offense. Our OL's run blocking in the third game was beautiful, not perfect, but probably better than it has been at almost anytime here. That's not something that suddenly changes because people run difference schemes. Your line can either run block or they can't, ours can. Look at nearly every rookie QB with a really good rookie season over the past 5-6 years and nearly all those QBs had very strong running games (if not dominant).

Griffin is in a better position, because of the run game here, than any of those other guys, IMO.

No.. i don't believe bottling him up is the way to prepare him for a real game.

I think the long throws that didn't connect in the 3rd game were a good example that he needs more practice in game situations.

HOWEVER... I'm not sure how beneficial it would have been to have him in the game against 2nd string defenses.

keep in mind he attained a 103.3 QB rating solely against the 1st team defenses. I'm pretty sure that is not the case for someone like Russel Wilson.

If anything, I would have given him more opportunites to throw the ball in the playing time he had agains the 1st teamers, but I do understand they had to eveluate the RBs quite a bit.

I'm just trying to figure out what kind of throws people wanted Griffin to make in preseason, though.

The other thing people don't think about is the fact that Spags has seen our offense for two straight seasons, and he's now in New Orleans. Maybe we want to keep something under wraps to keep a guy who's about to see us for the third straight year on his toes.

I'm just trying to figure out what kind of throws people wanted Griffin to make in preseason, though.

I think he needed to complete at least 1 nice deep throw so that we aren't staring at a constantly stacked box when the season starts. Thats what they did to Beck.

That's what we are going to see until he burns someone for it.

A dozen more passes wouldn't have made a difference. He's a rookie and at least he didn't get injured in a meaningless game in a year when the Skins aren't winning the division anyway.

The good thing is the first couple games are against bad defensive teams. Also the first couple good teams are home games.

I think he needed to complete at least 1 nice deep throw so that we aren't staring at a constantly stacked box when the season starts. Thats what they did to Beck.

You're right, but I think stacking the box on Griffin would play right into his hands. We have not seen it here yet, but he does have an amazing deep ball.

He very, very nearly did complete a deep ball, and the Colts didn't keep a guy in the box. I think the NFL knows that RG3 has a great arm, and he came within a finger tip of completing a pass.

The Bills tried to stack the box on him in that first preseason game, and it almost worked until Robert threw some intermediate passes and loosened them up. It's not just about throwing deep in that regards.

You're right, but I think stacking the box on Griffin would play right into his hands. We have not seen it here yet, but he does have an amazing deep ball.

They'll make him prove it.

The first play of the regular season we will see the entire defense inside of 7 yards and they'll probably blitz.

Can anyone help me find out what Heath Shuler did & how he performed in the 1994 pre season games please?

I tried NFL.com, as well as Profootballreference as well...but nothing.

NFL.com only goes back to 1999 & PFR only has regular season games.

I do know that the 94' Skins went 1-3 in their 4 pre season games, but I can't find Shuler's stats for the life of me.

I want to compare Shuler 94' VS RG3 12' preseason stats next to each other, if possible.

We know the 1994 season didn't turn out very well, with a 3-13 season.

So before voting, I want evidence that it matters if RG3 should have thrown the ball more.

Because I thought he did well.

I'm a numbers guy, as you all know.

THANK you.

I don't mind him missing out on some preseason reps, it isn't like preseason will really get him accustomed to real games. Practices are much closer to real games than preseason is. I expect we'll come out slinging against NO. I also wouldn't be surprised if his lower rep amount was due to us hiding a lot of what we plan to use with him. Newton passed the ball 32 times this preseason, it's no big deal.

They'll make him prove it.

The first play of the regular season we will see the entire defense inside of 7 yards and they'll probably blitz.

Sure they will, that's true of any New QB in the NFL. I just think we finally have one that might be able to back them the heck off.

Archived