Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think RG3 got enough work in preseason? Poll

NAC386

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I was very pleased with how RG3 and Kirk Cousins looked in preseason. The only thing that bothers me is that RG3 did not get nearly as much work as Cousin, or many other rookie QBs.

Kirk Cousins- 42/73, 3 Tds 2 Ints, 84 QBR

Russell Wilson- 40/63, 5 Tds, 1 Int, 110 QBR

Andrew Luck- 41/66, 3 Tds, 2 Ints, 89 QBR

Ryan Tennehill- 41/78, 1 Td, 1 Int, 66 QBR

RG3- 20/31, 2 Tds, 0 Ints, 103 QBR

We are expecting RG3 to be our starter on week 1, but only had him throw the ball 31 times in preseason. Every other rookie QB threw the ball twice as many times. Granted RG3 threw the ball accurately and made smart decisions during his limited attempts, but I still would have liked to see him get more extensive preseason work.

So what do you think? Are you happy with his 30 pass attempts, or do you believe more reps would have been beneficial?

Personally, I agree with SonnyJ that he didn't and I'd of had him out there the 4th game for a good spell.

He's hardly been pressured or touched, aside from his lack of snaps; and could well get a rude awakening to just what pro ball is all about next Sunday. I hope the staff are correct in their thinking as I personally don't think we've handled him at all well in the actual pre-season games.

Hail.

I won't pretend to know more than the coaching staff, however I did vote that I'm not sure he got enough time. I would have liked to see more passing attempts if nothing else and not playing him against Tampa. Anyhow, I'm still looking very forward to his debut next Sunday!

I dunno...every other qb in the op had an int.

RGIII? None. Well done, young man. If he had hit Garcon on the first play of the Bucs game, OMG...we'd have a statue of him here in the house.

Got my jersey Friday. My very first licensed NFL jersey, and I feel great about it...hubby begged me not to sleep in it, so I didn't, but I wanted to.

Personally, I agree with SonnyJ that he didn't and I'd of had him out there the 4th game for a good spell.

He's hardly been pressured or touched, aside from his lack of snaps; and could well get a rude awakening to just what pro ball is all about next Sunday. I hope the staff are correct in their thinking as I personally don't think we've handled him at all well in the actual pre-season games.

Hail.

That wouldn't have helped him.

It does him no good to play against 3rd and 4th string guys who are going to be running base, vanilla schemes as it.

In my mind, RG3 got work versus first team defenses as often as possible. Versus the Bills, I think the Bills starting defense played maybe one more series after RG3 sat down. Thanks to an incredibly untimely kick return touchdown (*grumble grumble grumble*) RG3 probably didn't get as much work versus the Bears, but he still saw pretty extensive time. He played the same amount as Andrew Luck did versus the Colts. As for playing the Bucs, like I said; Bucs rested all their starters and a lot of their second-tier guys.

Personally, I want RG3 to get as much time as possible versus the actual starters as possible. I think what people are really annoyed by isn't the fact that he wasn't on the field a lot, but more by the fact he didn't pass a lot. We went a lot more balanced with him in the games, running the ball and stuff.

With Kirk, it's important to realize that the reason we threw the ball with him more than we did with Robert is because we were trying to evaluate our receivers. It was less about Kirk getting extra work then seeing what our guys can do. I think if we had some younger receivers and stuff along with Griffin, Griffin probably would've seen more work.

Ultimately a lot of what teams run in preseason is vanilla. Keeping him out there throwing against a vanilla defense isn't going to prepare him opening day, and if he was playing a vanilla defense with future mall kiosk workers, it'd be even less reliable info. He'll learn more from the Bears and Colts game tape then he'll ever learn from playing the Bucs for a series.

Also important to note that Cousins, Wilson and Tannehill all got more extensive work in the second half of games than Griffin would've anyway. Luck...I still feel like the Colts were more interested in showing him off than getting him reps. Andrew Luck should shred base coverages.

who knows maybe they were trying to avoid giving him a false sense of accomplishment by playing against those scrubs. i personally would have liked to see him get more reps but for whatever reason they decided not too.

i dont care all that much as long as he continues to progress.

Wait a tick...

He's hardly been pressured or touched,

Considering all the doom saying about how he was going to get creamed, isn't the fact that he's had time to throw a good thing?

And he has gotten hit. He got hit hard versus the Bears and got creamed early in the game versus the Colts. And he bounced back nicely from that as well.

If everyone will get over the fact that we aren't contending this year, then yes, it's ok.

It's going to be a looooong year fella's, and RG3 is going to look like a rookie. That Saints game might be a disaster. But if we can all breathe and realize, RG3 is going to do what rookies do. Suck....until he gets accustomed to the game.

Wait a tick...

Considering all the doom saying about how he was going to get creamed, isn't the fact that he's had time to throw a good thing?

And he has gotten hit. He got hit hard versus the Bears and got creamed early in the game versus the Colts. And he bounced back nicely from that as well.

I appreciate all you've said in both replies, but I still think ANY experience is good experience for him at this level at his stage of development. And whilst on the one hand it was great he was so well protected, on the other I'd of liked him to of been far more pressured in the pocket in readiness for whats to come.

But it'a all a moot point as pre-season's over and we'll see just how ready he is this time next week.

Hail.

It's really not possible to now for sure. I think the thinking behind how Shanny played him is not to risk injury mainly because what the plan was is not to run our real offense and since he was not going to show it in preseason, why risk his health much. The real question is how wise was it to not run your real O during preseason. We'll begin to find out the answers next Sunday.

He looked good/poised when he was throwing. His QBR was against starting defenses and was very good. Also, we ran the ball a ton in all 4 of those games. Everyone knows that Mike loves running the ball and will stick with the run game to open up the bootlegs and rollouts for the QB along with play action.

Also, look at the past....no QB ever taken #1 or #2 overall has made the playoffs. Why? Because they weren't one player away from making the playoffs, there is a reason we picked that low. Granted we swaped/traded future picks to move down because we knew he would be taken. So Im willing to add a few wins to our total.

But numbers dont lie, we were a 5-11 team, that should have had 2-3 more wins last year. They were talking about this on NFL radio on Sirius this morning is that our schedule is not so forgiving and there are only 3 teams we should beat, Browns, Vikings and Panthers. They did say that it could get interesting and we have the potential to possibly pull off some sweeps against Dallas and maybe Philly. Basically saying that we could end up at 8-8 which would be a great achievement this year considering everything against us (injuries last year, lost cap space, etc.).

It's really not possible to now for sure. I think the thinking behind how Shanny played him is not to risk injury mainly because what the plan was is not to run our real offense and since he was not going to show it in preseason, why risk his health much. The real question is how wise was it to not run your real O during preseason. We'll begin to find out the answers next Sunday.

Also need to remember they've been running 11 on 11 in practice, not 7 on 7.

I appreciate all you've said in both replies, but I still think ANY experience is good experience for him at this level at his stage of development. And whilst on the one hand it was great he was so well protected, on the other I'd of liked him to of been far more pressured in the pocket in readiness for whats to come.

But it'a all a moot point as pre-season's over and we'll see just how ready he is this time next week.

Hail.

I think the worry is that we're taking it "easy" on Robert when we're not. I don't think RG3 has just thrown on air since he got here. It's been all 11 on 11's in practice, and the only people he's played against is the starting defense. That's making it hard on the kid. We also have been running the ball well. I think that's part of the thing that sort of gets lost; the number of pass attempts is low, but it's not like Robert hasn't been on the field.

You can't learn if you do everything right. You learn more from the mistakes than you do from than the right stuff, and you're likely to make more mistakes when the best players on on the field. Like I said; how much did Andrew Luck really learn by beating up on the Rams second stringers and the Steelers second stringers? Would he have learned much going against our second string D? Probably not. It looks pretty on the stat sheet, but it doesn't really help in the classroom.

As for him getting pressured, that's pretty much a scenario where Mike can't win there. If he gets pressured too much and has to run around and scramble all the time in pre-season, this whole damn place is in end of the world mega meltdown mode. If he's not pressured enough then it's great that our o-line is protecting him but he's not seeing enough action. (And it's fair to say that he would've seen far less pressure going against a second team defense and especially against 3rd and 4th string guys than he ever would versus the starters). So yeah, it's one of those damned if we do, damned if we don't things.

My thoughts are that the less film they have on him in the beginning of the year, means the less prepared they can be for him. That to me means we may be able to snatch a few winds while he is learning the offense and the position at a higher level, and give him a bit more time to adjust. The times he has been in, for the most part he has looked cool and poised, and had no deer in the headlights moments. Why risk him in any more games that dont matter?

Yes, I believe Shanny knows exactly what he's doing. Yes we upgraded at WR but we still are a run first team. An effective running game reduces the pressure on RGIII. As fat as him being under pressure and pressure situations those are only going to come w/ game experience. I don't think him throwing 50 passes during preseason would've changed anything in regards to his development. If we really weren't running our offense then its a completely moot point how many reps he got. When he was in games he showed a command and understanding of what we were doing. That's enough for me considering it was just preseason. I just don't think there was much for for him to learn. I believe his true development will come during the season. His presence brings an added dimension to the run game allowing a more open passing game. Everything else comes down to the team and health.

I think Rob had enough playing time. Maybe Mike could've kept him in longer in the Chicago game since he was struggling, but it's possible RG3 would of taken more of a beating from their defense and fans would complain about that also. RG3 has been practicing and studying the whole summer so I don't feel he missed out on anything.

Week 1 is gonna be a whole lot different for all these rookie QB's including the ones who throw 70 or 80 times in preseason. There will be good times and bad times an I think it will be fun watching these kids grow into the NFL this year.

Archived