Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Madden 13 Thread

MattFancy

Bacon, who cares what some 12 year old or 40 yo virgin that lives in his parents basement thinks about how good/bad you are in a video game :ols:

But, you can do what the one guy said above this post, play some unranked games online, just make sure you have similar settings to ranked games (6 min quarters, injuries on, fatigue on, skill level all pro, etc.) cause when you start playing ranked games, its those settings and they cant be changed like in unranked. Another thing is you could always go to Play Now with the above settings (or even switch it to all Madden if you want the hardest AI to practice against). Pick a team with one of the toughest defenses to play (Ravens, Bengals, 49ers, etc) (yes Bengals cause their speed is sick) and then pick your team and play the computer.

Some tips, get used to one or two offensive playbooks and use them with every team you play. Right now I use Atlanta and New Orleans. Id say go with ATL, its been one of the best for the past three years. You can use any playbook, I usually try to go with ATL because I like the counter plays and looks out of the Strong I formation that I dont get with the other playbooks and it has good shotgun sets and fullhouse formation and plenty of single back sets. For defense, a lot of people are using the 46 generic playbook due to the head it generates with the speed package. If you have a team with a fast defense, its a good playbook. I use that or team specific.

Third, if you play with the Skins online dont expect them to be world beaters. They are one of the better Madden teams this year despite their 77 overall rating, but you will be playing against people using Green Bay, Giants, 49ers, Bengals (cause of the defense), Ravens and other top rated teams. So it can be very challenging early on until you get comfortable with the team, roster set-up, playbooks, etc.

Fourth, don't just go out there and get pass happy. The new ball hawking feature that allows so many user picks its kinda ridiculous. All you do is hit circle to get the player closest to the ball highlighted (when pass is in the air), then press and hold triangle and it starts the interception animation and you get picks galore.

Fifth, dont worry what the other players think, use the play clock and milk it every down if you have to. Screw people saying that is frowned upon. They are just ticked because they want to throw all day and run up the score if they can. With 6 min quarters, using the entire 40 second play clock....well do the math :D Again, if you have to, I usually wont do that unless the kids being a dick (onsides kicking me every score, doing something shaddy, or starts trying to run up the score).

I can tell you from experience that one kid did some weird running play on me and got 3 TDs off three plays. He was up 21-7 on me. Well, I started playing solid, lots of runs, short passes etc. and waiting until the play clock was down to 1-2 seconds before snapping the ball and held the ball the entire second quarter, scored and got the ball back to start the second half down 21-14. Milked the clock for 4 mins of the third quarter, tied the game. Stopped the kid on his little trick play and he quit the game and I got the win.

If you can make it through all the BS you will encounter online, most of the people will be exposed for how bad they are and you will win or they will quit before the game is over and you get the win. Good luck man. If you play on PS3, let me know your gamer tag and I'll run some games with you.

^ Now all of that is some seriously good advice, thanks for taking the time to write it. I've been playing Madden for a long time, basically since Madden 64, but I have no idea about the new ones, really anything since '05 (which I played the hell out of; great game right there). The interception thing is just nuts; I played my wife (it was Skins/Bengals) and we picked each other off four times each. It was hilarious and impossible based on where I know our skill levels are at.

My gamer tag on PSN is Traviud, so add me whenever. I'm one of those creepy-ass late night gamers because of late classes.

^ Now all of that is some seriously good advice, thanks for taking the time to write it. I've been playing Madden for a long time, basically since Madden 64, but I have no idea about the new ones, really anything since '05 (which I played the hell out of; great game right there). The interception thing is just nuts; I played my wife (it was Skins/Bengals) and we picked each other off four times each. It was hilarious and impossible based on where I know our skill levels are at.

My gamer tag on PSN is Traviud, so add me whenever. I'm one of those creepy-ass late night gamers because of late classes.

Glad to be of help. Im sure some of the kiddos on here and other adults are better than myself and can offer advice too. Funny thing is, I had to use my strategy on some kid just now. He tried to friendly quit me when he tied me at 14-14. I declined, why? Because I dont get a win and its obvious that you do not like the Dont Taze Me Bro strategy for pissing off throw happy, hurry up, no talent ass clown gamers.

Ended up getting close, a couple of times he baited me in to straying off my game. But in the end. I prevailed, won like 41-30. Had to back to back pick sixes on the guys first pass of both series.

Any tips on pass defense? I've been playing madden forever but I find that receivers get WIDE open in this game much too easy when I'm on D.

Im not the best on defense, but Im ok. Do you blitz a ton? If you do and you dont know any nano blitzes and the line picks them up, easy pickings in a lot of cases. I will say against the pass, for a team with a good defense and fast secondary, man coverage blitzes with one safety back and cover two man work really well. Simply because if they are a speedy defense, they stay with the WR/TE and with the ball hawking you can knock down or pick a lot of passes. Certain two man under packages work really well depending on what formation they are coming from. Also, I read some advice from one good baller on a Madden forum, to play man bump and run from the quarter normal 2 man under spy play. I tried it, it works well against the pass, but is ok/suspect against the run.

What do you guys typically do with your LBs? I'm always the DE until the very last second, when I switch over to a DB to snatch an interception. I tend to leave the LBs alone entirely because blitzing with them hardly ever works, which means there's usually someone open in coverage.

What do you guys typically do with your LBs? I'm always the DE until the very last second, when I switch over to a DB to snatch an interception. I tend to leave the LBs alone entirely because blitzing with them hardly ever works, which means there's usually someone open in coverage.

I know it sounds kinda lame, but I usually control my interior D-line man, then switch to the player closest to the ball on a run/pass, then try and make a user play (tackle/pick). If I have a good blitz sometimes I'll control the MLB and bring him up and manually blitz.

Im a lot better on stick skills on offense, I always whiff on defense if I start trying to play one position (sole control).

I'm not sure why everyone seems to have issues with the pass defense. Try this.

Play as the free safety. Call only base plays. The one that is always on the left of the first playbook page. Two safeties over top, all man coverage underneath. Call this exclusively (but change the formation based on how many wide receivers are in) until you are comfortable playing coverage. The single biggest trick to being good in coverage is paying attention. After a half a season you will memorize the routes. I can tell when a guy is going over the middle or when he's running deep or when he's going to break on the corner.

If in doubt. ALWAYS help the slot corner. Your number 1 and 2 guys can usually handle their man almost always. Help your slot guy or you will give up the 10 yard in and out all day long.

On a side note, has anyone figured out how to take that ****ing "gameflow" **** off forever. I have to manually turn it off in every single game I play. Who on earth doesn't want to call their own plays?

Any tips on pass defense? I've been playing madden forever but I find that receivers get WIDE open in this game much too easy when I'm on D.

Do you use zone or man more? I've found that if I stay with one or the other for an extended period of plays, the receivers start getting open easier. Try mixing up your coverages and trying some zone blitzes to cause your opponent to hurry his passes. If you use the Skins a good combination I've found is in the 2-4-5 Nickle. Sugar Blitz puts the middle linebackers in the A gaps, and generally you get one free rusher. Run that a couple times until he starts seeing it and doing quick passes, then run the Sugar Cover 3. Same presnap alignment, but the corners and FS drop into a cover 3, the MLBs drop into hook zones, and the nickle back and SS get to the hook/curl zones outside the hash. LBs generally cover the quick dumps, and the outside zones protect against the receivers.

On a side note, has anyone figured out how to take that ****ing "gameflow" **** off forever. I have to manually turn it off in every single game I play. Who on earth doesn't want to call their own plays?

The option is in the "My Madden" section, you hit square on main menu, pick change settings, then game options, and change playcall style to conventional. Then back out and save your profile using select.

i keep hearing conflicting reports of what is and isn't in the game. the only thing i'm interested in doing is playing as the redskins through an entire season, then drafting in 2013, and playing that season, etc.

my friend says you can only do that in career mode, and in career mode you can ONLY control one player. like if you are QB and you hand off, you don't get to control the running back. what percentage of players could possibly enjoy that? whatever the answer set is, it doesn't include me.

so: can i play as the redskins through multiple seasons (offline)?

i keep hearing conflicting reports of what is and isn't in the game. the only thing i'm interested in doing is playing as the redskins through an entire season, then drafting in 2013, and playing that season, etc.

my friend says you can only do that in career mode, and in career mode you can ONLY control one player. like if you are QB and you hand off, you don't get to control the running back. what percentage of players could possibly enjoy that? whatever the answer set is, it doesn't include me.

Sorry of this is crass. Your friend is just wrong.

You start a career, not as a player, but as a coach. This then lets you do exactly what you are describing. It still has a couple limitations (you cant edit the players) but it is essentially the old franchise mode. This is exactly the sort of game that I enjoy and I assure you, it is still in the game.

To the poster on the last page, thank you times a bajillion. I thought I looked for a way to turn it off, I guess I'm just a grade A idiot. I can't thank you enough my man.

I'm hoping to dust off my Xbox later today and start to get back into the swing of things. Now forgive me for asking what is probably a stupid question. I have last years Madden, are there any roster updates for last years version that will bring RG3 into the game? I'll be getting the lastest game in a couple of weeks for my birthday (wife is buying it so i've got to be patient) ughh can I make last years work?

Thanks

My problem isn't with the play calling, it's with the actual act of defending a thrown ball. I cannot seem to stay with receivers; as soon as I take control of a DB he herps off into a random direction and the WR gets 6 yards of separation. If I am lucky enough to be close enough to the receiver to try to make a play, my guy always /stops/ to jump and swat or attempt an intercept rather than do it in stride.

I see CPU DB's make diving intercepts, running swats, jarring hits to separate the ball..and they always manage to stay with the WRs, at least within a yard or two. How to do the same completely eludes me.

What I've found is that (especially with Hall) I can take control of the defender on a pass (once the ball is thrown) and press triangle to jump and generally get a pick. Given, I'm normally playing on all pro so maybe thats a difference, but that's what I do.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 11:58 AM ----------

Hey man. Figured I'd try to help out.

The following method works pretty well without requiring you to become a stick jockey:

• 1. Match formations. If 2 WRs, call a 3-4 or 4-3 play. If 3 WRs, Nickel. If 4, Dime.
  • 2. Call a base play out of these formations such as Cover 2 man or Cover 2 zone.
  • 3. Control the MLB at the snap and do whatever matches the play called unless you see something like a TE post that needs inside coverage.
  • 4. When the ball is thrown, hit "circle" or whatever the button is to take over the nearest DB WITHOUT touching the sticks. He will continue his CPU coverage until you...
  • 5. Make a play on the ball. If it is a deep pass, time it until just before the ball gets to the receiver to hit "triangle" or the "catch" button.

This method keeps you from screwing up and gives you better ability to respond to any short passes because you're already in the middle of the field as the MLB. If your opponent is throwing a ton of deep stuff, confuse him by calling cover 3/purple zones (where most people attack Cover 3).

Mix in some press coverage/show blitz/ DB blitzes (NOT corner dogs -- the best used to be called DB Strike in Dime, not sure now). Only blitz when it makes sense, and don't overdo it ;)

What I've found is that Cover 2 and 2 Man Deep are beautiful plays. I occasionally mix in a blitz or a zone blitz here and there, but those are so good.....especially with teh Skins where we have a good front four who can get pressure and sacks. But I haven't played people who like to run (the QB) a lot. I figure with them it might change.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:02 PM ----------

Im really down on EA for the no player editing. Even if it was just things like numbers and names would be fine. I hate WRs with teen numbers, and Im a Lavar fan so I like to "free lance" with him all day. I also hate playing the 3-4 and switch Rak and Kerrigan to DE... Cant do that either, so they stay listed as LBs... Good job EA...

I wish it was like in 11 when we could change a player's position. Like when we moved Rak to DE from LB. Or moving Hall to FS instead of CB. But in season mode (connected careers) you can use that to negotiate contracts and resign them for the league minimum if you make them punters first.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:03 PM ----------

I really like the game. I think the career mode is an upgrade in many ways, but they also dropped the ball in others. And where they messed up are such easy fixes, its almost funny. Just try a little bit harder EA, thats all. I dont play online, Im a franchise mode player. That being said, there are certain numbers that shouldnt be on the field, we all know which ones. And there shouldnt be players with the same numbers on one team. Attention to detail EA. At least its not raining every game again...

Yeah, the career mode is what I've been hearing would be so different this year. People have been complaining about it being left out of previous versions. I like it so far, but I do have a few gripes.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:06 PM ----------

I bought Madden on Saturday, and returned it on Sunday.

I'm HUGE on realism, and not being able to edit rosters while in season in CC was the deal breaker for me. I don't know what EA was thinking. I get the rationale for locking player edits in online leagues, but for people like me who mostly play offline, it made ZERO sense. THis isn't even something that's patchable. I'll buy it in '14 if things are corrected.

*The correct model for doing things is the 2K series for b-ball.

You can edit players, you just need to earn it first (in the form of XP). Moss by the end of the year was an 89 and Orakpo and Hall were both like 95s.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:09 PM ----------

The super LB's have been fixed as far as I've seen. No more jumping up over the middle and picking off passes, the new pass trajectories fixed that.

What I find interesting is you have people saying bah, Madden 13 sucks, I'm sticking with 12. Meanwhile that same person probably blasted 12 when it came out and said they were sticking with 11.

People always hate change, no matter how big or small, that's what it usually boils down to.

I wouldn't say "fixed", I think they've been improved, but occasionally they cover a lot of space and can jump for balls that were intended to go 30 yards deeper (especially with Rex if that matters). But I've only noticed it with a few teams, possible with some of the better players in the league.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:12 PM ----------

A pretty general question, but how do you get good at Madden? I just blew $60 on '13 and want to be able to play online without embarrassing myself.

I messed around with practice mode for an hour last night to get the pass timing worked out, but I'm still throwing way too many interceptions.

I'd suggest playing in pro and all pro mode and trying to get a strategy and some plays/routes you like. Once you do that, go into the online mode.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:14 PM ----------

What kind of routes are they running? Man coverage is good for some routes, but can get burned on screens and crossing routes. Zone can be great on crossing routes but the deep routes outside exploit the holes in the zones. Plus zones leave a man back so you're not playing the run as hard.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:16 PM ----------

I've learned to live with gameflow. I normally just press square first, or just take their recommendation if I can't think of a route I want to run at the moment.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:18 PM ----------

Do you use zone or man more? I've found that if I stay with one or the other for an extended period of plays, the receivers start getting open easier. Try mixing up your coverages and trying some zone blitzes to cause your opponent to hurry his passes. If you use the Skins a good combination I've found is in the 2-4-5 Nickle. Sugar Blitz puts the middle linebackers in the A gaps, and generally you get one free rusher. Run that a couple times until he starts seeing it and doing quick passes, then run the Sugar Cover 3. Same presnap alignment, but the corners and FS drop into a cover 3, the MLBs drop into hook zones, and the nickle back and SS get to the hook/curl zones outside the hash. LBs generally cover the quick dumps, and the outside zones protect against the receivers.

are you playing computer or a person? I find that playing computer the Nickle 2 man deep is just a great play. I pick that if I'm playing the computer and it generally is just a great base play. Playing a real person,I need to look at their tendencies and adjust accordingly.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:19 PM ----------

Nah, you have an option of playing as a coach or as a player. But he's right about the player option, you don't really have much control over the rest of the game.

So after a couple weeks of guys in here playing it.....Is it worth it? My #1 interest is a franchise mode. In fact thats probably all I buy madden for. Im thinking of buying but reviews are pretty 50/50 from what I've seen. Just wanted to see what you all thought.

So after a couple weeks of guys in here playing it.....Is it worth it? My #1 interest is a franchise mode. In fact thats probably all I buy madden for. Im thinking of buying but reviews are pretty 50/50 from what I've seen. Just wanted to see what you all thought.

It's still flawed but it's a substantial step in the right direction - both in terms of franchise mode and the overall gameplay mechanics.

Archived