Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Madden 13 Thread

MattFancy

What I've found is that (especially with Hall) I can take control of the defender on a pass (once the ball is thrown) and press triangle to jump and generally get a pick. Given, I'm normally playing on all pro so maybe thats a difference, but that's what I do.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 11:58 AM ----------

What I've found is that Cover 2 and 2 Man Deep are beautiful plays. I occasionally mix in a blitz or a zone blitz here and there, but those are so good.....especially with teh Skins where we have a good front four who can get pressure and sacks. But I haven't played people who like to run (the QB) a lot. I figure with them it might change.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:02 PM ----------

I wish it was like in 11 when we could change a player's position. Like when we moved Rak to DE from LB. Or moving Hall to FS instead of CB. But in season mode (connected careers) you can use that to negotiate contracts and resign them for the league minimum if you make them punters first.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:03 PM ----------

Yeah, the career mode is what I've been hearing would be so different this year. People have been complaining about it being left out of previous versions. I like it so far, but I do have a few gripes.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:06 PM ----------

You can edit players, you just need to earn it first (in the form of XP). Moss by the end of the year was an 89 and Orakpo and Hall were both like 95s.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:09 PM ----------

I wouldn't say "fixed", I think they've been improved, but occasionally they cover a lot of space and can jump for balls that were intended to go 30 yards deeper (especially with Rex if that matters). But I've only noticed it with a few teams, possible with some of the better players in the league.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:12 PM ----------

I'd suggest playing in pro and all pro mode and trying to get a strategy and some plays/routes you like. Once you do that, go into the online mode.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:14 PM ----------

What kind of routes are they running? Man coverage is good for some routes, but can get burned on screens and crossing routes. Zone can be great on crossing routes but the deep routes outside exploit the holes in the zones. Plus zones leave a man back so you're not playing the run as hard.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:16 PM ----------

I've learned to live with gameflow. I normally just press square first, or just take their recommendation if I can't think of a route I want to run at the moment.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:18 PM ----------

are you playing computer or a person? I find that playing computer the Nickle 2 man deep is just a great play. I pick that if I'm playing the computer and it generally is just a great base play. Playing a real person,I need to look at their tendencies and adjust accordingly.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 12:19 PM ----------

Nah, you have an option of playing as a coach or as a player. But he's right about the player option, you don't really have much control over the rest of the game.

I wasn't talking about getting and XP boost (when I was mentioning player edits)...I was talking more along the lines of fixing height/weight/equipment/etc....takes a lot of fun out of the game (for me) if things aren't extremely close to the actual product that we see on sundays. Like I said, if EA can patch this...I'll re-buy it. However, it looks like I'll buy the game in '14

I wasn't talking about getting and XP boost (when I was mentioning player edits)...I was talking more along the lines of fixing height/weight/equipment/etc....takes a lot of fun out of the game (for me) if things aren't extremely close to the actual product that we see on sundays. Like I said, if EA can patch this...I'll re-buy it. However, it looks like I'll buy the game in '14

I saw on their Facebook page that a lit of people want editing back so they may add it in at a later update

For some reason when I try to take my updated roster (the actual depth chart and roster fielded yesterday) into the Coach/Franchise mode it won't let me. Am I stupid or is that just not an option this year?

And why are the menus so damn complicated this year? Why can't they just stick with the stuff that works and overhaul what isn't working?

Just read that the good folks at EA have seen the complaints about roster editing in the CC and they are going to consider making some sort of a correction in a future patch. WOOOOO!!! Music to my ears. Looks like I'll be re-buying in October (or whenever they fix the roster editing feature)

For some reason when I try to take my updated roster (the actual depth chart and roster fielded yesterday) into the Coach/Franchise mode it won't let me. Am I stupid or is that just not an option this year?

And why are the menus so damn complicated this year? Why can't they just stick with the stuff that works and overhaul what isn't working?

The current roster update is only for the play now modes. The roster update for CCM is due Friday the 14th.

I've got to say, I played my first online Madden 13 game yesterday. Redskins/Panthers (I'm the Skins).

I got into a 17-0 hole early (opening drive FG, then I go 3 and out, he scores a TD off a missed tackle by Doughty and massive YAC by the Panthers TE, then another TD off a pic that gave them great field position).

But that's when the magic happened. I did an 8 play drive downfield and scored on a pass to Moss in the corner and its 17-7.

Then I Hit Davis over the middle for a TD to end the half 17-14.

I get the ball back after the half, but throw a pic, and he goes up 24-14.

Then I stop blitzing this guy cause I'm leaving guys open

I get a pic by Hall, which sets up a TD to Hankerson (24-21).

Then he goes 3 and out, and I toss a TD to Morgan (24-28)

Then he's driving and I get a pic by Fletcher at like the 3 (with like 2:00 to go).

I coulda sat on my lead, but he had 3 TOs, so I decided to live dangerously, hit a few big plays to Hankerson and Davis, and then a TD to Garcon on a slant route. (24-35).

That was a great game and it took guts. I was so glum when I was down 17-0, but with resolve, I came back. And all I can say is that Griffin is MAD accurate.....WAY WAY WAY better than Grossman. Not even close. Makes it so much easier to play with the skins.

Anyone who plays with the skins should use the panthers playbook. They have heavy panther set with the qb wrap play, almost unstoppable with rg3 and they also have the pistol and several good option plays.

I still need to get better at running with RG3, passing on the run, and running in general. I've found that our OL isn't too good (not as good as the Ravens), either that or I just don't have the patience to wait for holes to open up.

Just read that the good folks at EA have seen the complaints about roster editing in the CC and they are going to consider making some sort of a correction in a future patch. WOOOOO!!! Music to my ears. Looks like I'll be re-buying in October (or whenever they fix the roster editing feature)

Player editing and fantasy drafts are both coming back.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/09/13/fantasy-drafts-coming-to-madden-nfl-13

What do you mean by re-buying? I don't know if you have Madden 13 already or not, so I am confused. :ols: But if you do, it should be a little update that you have to download from XBL/PSN

What do you mean by re-buying? I don't know if you have Madden 13 already or not, so I am confused. :ols: But if you do, it should be a little update that you have to download from XBL/PSN

Bought the game a few weeks ago. I never took it out of the plastic. Once I found out that you couldn't make roster edits, I took it back to Target.

In past years I used the Eagles offense. I really think the offense/defense you use depends on what you like to call. Back in 11, I liked to run from a 4-3 defense and would call a lot of cover 2 or Zone Blites. Now I'm more random, or at least I'll say less predictable. I like our defense because its got some good plays. I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of each of these instead of just resorting to another playbook.

Similarly, back then I used to use the Eagles offense because they have a nice mixture of screens and deep routes. But being able to do a play action, to scramble, to throw the outs, the ins, the post routes, the slant, etc are all important and depending on who you're playing you may need to use a different set of skills. Thats why I'm all about learning how to play better.

That said, I will admit that I like the practice in 13 much better than in 10 and 11. I mean, now there are 22 guys on the field and so a juke move isn't just 1 on 1, or 1 on n, you can set up blockers and stuff and it just seems more real.

Bought the game a few weeks ago. I never took it out of the plastic. Once I found out that you couldn't make roster edits, I took it back to Target.

:ols: I see.

---------- Post added September-14th-2012 at 11:30 AM ----------

In past years I used the Eagles offense. I really think the offense/defense you use depends on what you like to call. Back in 11, I liked to run from a 4-3 defense and would call a lot of cover 2 or Zone Blites. Now I'm more random, or at least I'll say less predictable. I like our defense because its got some good plays. I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of each of these instead of just resorting to another playbook.

Similarly, back then I used to use the Eagles offense because they have a nice mixture of screens and deep routes. But being able to do a play action, to scramble, to throw the outs, the ins, the post routes, the slant, etc are all important and depending on who you're playing you may need to use a different set of skills. Thats why I'm all about learning how to play better.

That said, I will admit that I like the practice in 13 much better than in 10 and 11. I mean, now there are 22 guys on the field and so a juke move isn't just 1 on 1, or 1 on n, you can set up blockers and stuff and it just seems more real.

I haven't sat down and found a offensive playbook I like.

I will say that I have finally made my transition from 4-3 to 3-4. I guess the main reason I never liked running a 3-4 is because I never knew anything about it. But now that Shanny has ran with the Redskins, I am able to operate it better because I know how it is supposed to be ran. I can't stand the 4-3 anymore. :ols:

I dont know whats happening to me. I have lost most/all of my mojo and can't seem to buy a win in the ranked games. When I started, I got destroyed in my first online game which I expected because it was on my lunch break and I was rusty from not playing in a while. Then I won 2 games. Then I went on a 9 game losing streak and my record was 3-10, mostly playing with our beloved Redskins.

Then it happened.....I had settled on my playbooks and decided I was going to give the Bengals a shot due to their defense. I then went on an 8 game winning streak, getting my overall record to 11-10. The next game I lost, but it was a good close game until I tossed a pick six and then I was down 14 in the 4th and he played good defense. 11-11..........five hundred land. I win my next 3 and Im 14-11, then the next thing I know I drop 4 in a row. 14-15, won with the Skins last night in my first game 15-15, lost the next one horribly bad with them.15-16.

I really dont know if they pair you up with players of equal rank, because there is always like 8k or 10k players looking for games if you read the info on the screen, how many players are logged in, in game, and looking for game. I find it hard to believe that I get paired up with people that are so freaking good and solid on both sides of the ball and crush me and they are the same rank/points as I have.

Just like in my 8 game winning streak, I found it hard to believe I got paired up with some complete newbs that were going for it on their own 10 yard line on 4th and 20. and played some players that were obviously new and no where near as good as me. This made more sense as Im only rank 1 so it should match me up with similar ranked players. But when I start doing awesome, I swear it puts me against either awesome solid players or ****ing kids with one play and one nano blitz that makes it nearly impossible to play with at times.

/end rant

Im sticking with the Bengals, I got burned in the secondary playing with the Skins.

Question, is there a way to change your default playbook in connected careers? I'm doing the coach version so I can control all aspects and I set Joe Gibbs as my default playbook but I'm not too thrilled about it, lack of shotgun formations mostly. Wondering if theres a way to set a different one and not have to change it before each game.

The only complaint I have is that I wish Madden AI for defense came up with some type of "stop THAT play" call.

What do I mean by this?

Well, I continually run into online opponents who I can get the better of on 1st and 2nd down, almost no matter what they try to do. Then comes 3rd and long, and they seem to call the same play over and over, and no matter what I do, their man will always somehow end up wide open. This is especially a problem when playing teams like 49ers/Vernon Davis, Patriots/Gronkowski, Saints/Graham....etc etc....

It really takes my head out of the game feeling it is pointless, because I am basically playing shutdown defense on every down except when they call that "bread and butter" play, which renders me useless everytime. It's not even that they are throwing it that said player, but they ALWAYS catch the ball in space and have room to run for the first down if not more.

I've changed coverage, shaded linebackers into the exact spot they go on to catch the ball.....everything.

I wish the Madden AI mechanics would recognize when a player has used the same play maybe 4 or more times in a game or at least in a half, and then default to a defense formation/play specifically designed to stop that specific play on offense.

The only complaint I have is that I wish Madden AI for defense came up with some type of "stop THAT play" call.

What do I mean by this?

Well, I continually run into online opponents who I can get the better of on 1st and 2nd down, almost no matter what they try to do. Then comes 3rd and long, and they seem to call the same play over and over, and no matter what I do, their man will always somehow end up wide open. This is especially a problem when playing teams like 49ers/Vernon Davis, Patriots/Gronkowski, Saints/Graham....etc etc....

It really takes my head out of the game feeling it is pointless, because I am basically playing shutdown defense on every down except when they call that "bread and butter" play, which renders me useless everytime. It's not even that they are throwing it that said player, but they ALWAYS catch the ball in space and have room to run for the first down if not more.

I've changed coverage, shaded linebackers into the exact spot they go on to catch the ball.....everything.

I wish the Madden AI mechanics would recognize when a player has used the same play maybe 4 or more times in a game or at least in a half, and then default to a defense formation/play specifically designed to stop that specific play on offense.

That would definitely be a nice feature to have. But, I find that an effective way of shutting that down, especially if you know who is most likely going to get the ball, it to take either a linebacker who is in man coverage with the RB, or take a down lineman who's going to rush the QB, and manually control them to where the ball is going to go. Right from the snap make a run for his bread and butter play and force him to look elsewhere. Hopefully with so many guys in coverage and on a 3rd and long he'll force something, ending up with either an interception or a deflection. Or the occasional WTF catch from the receiver. Give that a try.

AI is probably one of the best ever, if there is a man open the CPU will hit him every time.

This is what I do on defense:

Depending on the # or WRs they come out with:

2WR - 4-3 or 5-2

3WR - Nickel

4WR and up - Dime, Quarter, etc. (simple enough right?)

I always pick Man Cover 2 or it's equivalent depending on formation.

Line rushes, safeties in zone, everyone else in man......

Pre-play I pick a safety and make him double cover whomever I want to eliminate, their #1 reciever, a guy they keep going to, etc.

Defensively you're gonna want to control a LB and see who he's covering...watch for the pre play shift and just cover who you are supposed to.

If your guy ends up blocking, just cover space and more often than not good things will happen. Sacks for me usually happen when I'm shadowing a RB on a dump off than when I'm trying to rush the QB.

If you do want to rush the QB, I've noticed that if you pre-snap the line to go "edge rush" it does give your LB more room to operate down the middle...haven't tried the opposite of that yet, i.e. making them pinch and going to the outside...probably does work.

You can always make that safety blitz or pre-snap your LB to bring the house if you're feeling adventurous but if the CPU wiffs a wide open TE, he'll hit him, sure enough.

Archived