Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Madden 13 Thread

MattFancy

That was supposed to be fixed this year. I saw a video with one of the game designers recently and he specifically talked about this being a problem. I was hoping it was fixed.

Keep in mind that there is an exceptionally high likelihood that I'm doing something very, very wrong. I am not Good at Madden at all. Never have been.

---------- Post added August-29th-2012 at 11:23 AM ----------

Does anyone have multiple profiles for different people in their house on one Xbox? If so can you confirm something for me? I need to know that if one profile uses the Online Pass and goes online to download any roster updates that EA publishes, are those roster updates applied to the system? ie; are downloaded roster updates available to other profiles playing OFFLINE on the Xbox?

Basically my son has XBL Gold on his profile and wants to play online with his friends. I do NOT have Gold and don't care to ever play online anyway. But I do want the update rosters for my offline play. So if I let my son use the Online Pass on his profile, and he downloads the roster updates, will the GAME have updated rosters or will only his profile have updated rosters? If the former, cool. If the latter...well then he's going to be very disappointed because he was really looking forward to playing with his pals; I'm going to burn that pass on my profile just for the roster updates even though I will never actually play online.

If someone with multiple profiles on their Xbox could confirm how this works, that would be awesome.

Keep in mind that there is an exceptionally high likelihood that I'm doing something very, very wrong. I am not Good at Madden at all. Never have been.

---------- Post added August-29th-2012 at 11:23 AM ----------

Does anyone have multiple profiles for different people in their house on one Xbox? If so can you confirm something for me? I need to know that if one profile uses the Online Pass and goes online to download any roster updates that EA publishes, are those roster updates applied to the system? ie; are downloaded roster updates available to other profiles playing OFFLINE on the Xbox?

Basically my son has XBL Gold on his profile and wants to play online with his friends. I do NOT have Gold and don't care to ever play online anyway. But I do want the update rosters for my offline play. So if I let my son use the Online Pass on his profile, and he downloads the roster updates, will the GAME have updated rosters or will only his profile have updated rosters? If the former, cool. If the latter...well then he's going to be very disappointed because he was really looking forward to playing with his pals; I'm going to burn that pass on my profile just for the roster updates even though I will never actually play online.

If someone with multiple profiles on their Xbox could confirm how this works, that would be awesome.

I highly doubt that if he downloads anything on his profile it will be available on yours, rosters included.

Regarding pass defense - the most important part is being in the correct defense. Make sure that you have the right secondary on the field. 3 WR's? Definitely want to be in at least Nickel. 4 WR's? Dime or better. Don't switch to the DB until you absolutely have to. If a DB is running with a WR while the ball is in the air I switch about a second before the ball gets there if I can, otherwise I make sure to let the CPU do all the coverage running for me.

If you want to control a DB at the snap, take the FS. Make sure you know the coverage responsibilities, I usually just pick a play where the FS is in Zone, then make sure I don't stray from that zone and no WR's get behind me.

Most of the time I'm just controlling a d-lineman or a blitzing LB and trying to get pressure or contain the run, much bigger margin for error there.

People keep telling me that but it seems cheap to me. I don't want to just call plays and watch the CPU execute them. I want to know how to execute them myself. "If it's too hard stop trying" just doesn't sit well with me.

I just need to figure out the technique then practice practice practice. It's figuring out the technique that I'm having issues with. :)

One of the reasons I still play APF 2k8

Since the physics engine has changed (around late '08) I too have had a hard time controlling the players on the deep ball mainly, not to mention that if the receiver has a considerable step on the defender, the QB normally throws it perfectly, every time. Normally what I do is switch to the defender about a second -half second before the ball arrives. The way the players move now makes it increasingly difficult in that one particular situation, definitely.

One thing that intrigues me about that situation is that on the old Maddens (early-mid 00's, on the Playstation) , hitting the L1 button on the deep ball would normally result in a leaping swat, depending on how well your timing is. Seems like that's gone now.

Since the physics engine has changed (around late '08) I too have had a hard time controlling the players on the deep ball mainly, not to mention that if the receiver has a considerable step on the defender, the QB normally throws it perfectly, every time. Normally what I do is switch to the defender about a second -half second before the ball arrives. The way the players move now makes it increasingly difficult in that one particular situation, definitely.

One thing that intrigues me about that situation is that on the old Maddens (early-mid 00's, on the Playstation) , hitting the L1 button on the deep ball would normally result in a leaping swat, depending on how well your timing is. Seems like that's gone now.

I also noticed this, except on 360. It used to be the A button would swat, but it didn't do that when I played it with my friend last night.

If I want to control a DB, I find it easiest to do it from the snap. Switching mid-play is generally what causes me to give up the big play. If you control a DB from the snap you can strafe backwards until you need to run, then adjust (or guess the route, if you're feeling brave) based on what the WR does. It all comes down to knowing the situation and the coverage. Should you keep them outside or funnel them inside? Is this a speed-burner or a possession guy? The more you know about the situation, the easier it is going to be to put yourself in the right spot before you need to be there.

I try not to bite on mid to deep inside moves too early because in my experience they've frequently been double-moves. If they go inside right from the jump and I know I have safety coverage over the top I'll try to jump the route.

All that being said if I do find myself switching to the DB mid-play I try to have the left stick in the general direction they're already going to keep from accidentally stopping them or doing a weird cut of some kind. Once I have them "under control", so to speak, then I try to make my play on the ball.

I highly doubt that if he downloads anything on his profile it will be available on yours, rosters included.

That'll be a shame if that turns out to be the case. You'd figure the regular EA roster updates would just apply to the system/game irrespective of who downloads them.

It'll be funny when we're offline playing head to head and his version of the Redskins still has Cooley and Gano and mine doesn't. XD

is that reason to justify spending $60 on it every year? i say no, its not nearly as bad as people say it is..... cute shoes by the way

...I stopped buying Madden in 08...are you reading the threads??

And they game has been the same for 8 years on new consoles. If everybody remembers, Madden 06 on 360 and PS3 stipped away a lot features that were on 05.

And you keep saying that EA does not have a monopoly on NFL football games. Do you know what a monopoly is? It does not matter if the NFL willingly agreed with them or not, the fact is it still is a monopoly.

Dictionary.com definition of monopoly:

-exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.

In this case, EA has exclusive control of NFL video games in which they can charge 60 dollars because there is no competition. Do you understand now?

So it's official: I still suck at Madden. I can't complete passes over 5 yards and I can't defend a pass to save my life. Here's the super secret strategy to beat Stugein:

1st down: Deep pass

2nd down: Deep pass

3rd down: Deep pass

4th down: Deep pass

You are bound to hit at least 1 of 4 and move the chains. Never punt. Always go for it on 4th down.

My son has been using this strategy on me for the last 4 Maddens. I consider losing 50-3 to be a solid effort on my part.

I can be moderately successful if I just call the play and let the CPU handle it. But the split second I take actual control of anyone on the defense it's a guaranteed 15 yard gain minimum for the opponent. How you people defend passes is beyond me.

Hey man. Figured I'd try to help out.

The following method works pretty well without requiring you to become a stick jockey:

• 1. Match formations. If 2 WRs, call a 3-4 or 4-3 play. If 3 WRs, Nickel. If 4, Dime.
  • 2. Call a base play out of these formations such as Cover 2 man or Cover 2 zone.
  • 3. Control the MLB at the snap and do whatever matches the play called unless you see something like a TE post that needs inside coverage.
  • 4. When the ball is thrown, hit "circle" or whatever the button is to take over the nearest DB WITHOUT touching the sticks. He will continue his CPU coverage until you...
  • 5. Make a play on the ball. If it is a deep pass, time it until just before the ball gets to the receiver to hit "triangle" or the "catch" button.

This method keeps you from screwing up and gives you better ability to respond to any short passes because you're already in the middle of the field as the MLB. If your opponent is throwing a ton of deep stuff, confuse him by calling cover 3/purple zones (where most people attack Cover 3).

Mix in some press coverage/show blitz/ DB blitzes (NOT corner dogs -- the best used to be called DB Strike in Dime, not sure now). Only blitz when it makes sense, and don't overdo it ;)

So it's official: I still suck at Madden. I can't complete passes over 5 yards and I can't defend a pass to save my life. Here's the super secret strategy to beat Stugein:

1st down: Deep pass

2nd down: Deep pass

3rd down: Deep pass

4th down: Deep pass

You are bound to hit at least 1 of 4 and move the chains. Never punt. Always go for it on 4th down.

My son has been using this strategy on me for the last 4 Maddens. I consider losing 50-3 to be a solid effort on my part.

I can be moderately successful if I just call the play and let the CPU handle it. But the split second I take actual control of anyone on the defense it's a guaranteed 15 yard gain minimum for the opponent. How you people defend passes is beyond me.

Man you just need to practice batting down passes. You can't get around that. When I use to play Madden, you couldn't rely on the cpu to knock passes down, you had to do it yourself. There is no way to get pass that. Just practice until you get the hang of it.

This is the first Madden version I've bought since Madden '10. Maybe I'm missing something, but has the ability to play through a team's entire season for the year the game has been released been removed?

Like say I want to play the Redskins full season starting with New Orleans. Can you not do that anymore?

My problem isn't with the play calling, it's with the actual act of defending a thrown ball. I cannot seem to stay with receivers; as soon as I take control of a DB he herps off into a random direction and the WR gets 6 yards of separation. If I am lucky enough to be close enough to the receiver to try to make a play, my guy always /stops/ to jump and swat or attempt an intercept rather than do it in stride.

I see CPU DB's make diving intercepts, running swats, jarring hits to separate the ball..and they always manage to stay with the WRs, at least within a yard or two. How to do the same completely eludes me.

This is for the XBox, not sure of PS3 controls:

I actually got pretty good at playing the pass when I joined an online franchise last season. I usually play a D Lineman or Linebacker at the start of the play. As soon as the ball is thrown, I tap the B button and don't touch anything until the icon shows that I have taken control of the DB, S or whoever is closest to the receiver. Once the icon shows up I start running in the direction I need to defend the pass (if you don't push anything besides tapping B the cpu will still be running with the WR even after you switch).

Also, it might help to use defensive assist. When you find yourself out of position or don't feel comfortable controlling a defensive player you can hold the A button and the cpu will get the player back into the spot where he should be.

This is the first Madden version I've bought since Madden '10. Maybe I'm missing something, but has the ability to play through a team's entire season for the year the game has been released been removed?

Like say I want to play the Redskins full season starting with New Orleans. Can you not do that anymore?

Yeah. I think it's under Connected Careers. You choose either online or offline and then choose to either play as a player or coach. If you choose coach, you can either create a coach, use an exisisting coach, or add yourself as a coach with the gameface option. Then you make all the decisions for the team such as: cuts, trades, etc.

Is there an RG3-only mode?

I haven't bought a new Madden in a couple years, but I can't miss this one.

I hadn't in a while either. I didn't really like how complicated the controls of the game had become. I don't have time to practice enough to beat the really good Madden players. I downloaded the demo of this one before I bought, and it seems like it's easier to figure out the controls now. I played two games online last night and won both. The second guy I blew out of the water 28-0 in the third, and he asked to concede the loss. (Something else I like about this new version) I played 14 games online of Madden '10 and lost every single one of them. Had a lot to do with why I stopped buying, plus people who run up the score by going for it when they should punt or kick field goals. Kicking onside kicks when it makes no sense to do so really pissed me off.

Edit: To answer your original question, yes you can play as RG3. It's in the Career Connected aspect.

I didn't really like how complicated the controls of the game had become.

Same here. My initial frustration with '09 prevented me from spending much time with it, though I was impressed by what it offered. '11 was a nice, accessible improvement. I take it from your post that EA has modeled '13 along those lines, so that's good.

If anyone that has been hesitant about getting Madden or about playing online (for xbox 360) and wants a friendly online match to play, let me know. I've avoided playing online as well because I don't like all the riff-raff of people who cheese plays, onside kick all the time, etc. I'm pretty good but not the best by any stretch, but I'll happily give tips and such and even tell you what play I'm going to run to help you get the defense/offense set accordingly. I just like playing with people but most of my friends don't have it or if they do they don't play much, and again, randoms online irritate me most of the time.

If anyone that has been hesitant about getting Madden or about playing online (for xbox 360) and wants a friendly online match to play, let me know. I've avoided playing online as well because I don't like all the riff-raff of people who cheese plays, onside kick all the time, etc. I'm pretty good but not the best by any stretch, but I'll happily give tips and such and even tell you what play I'm going to run to help you get the defense/offense set accordingly. I just like playing with people but most of my friends don't have it or if they do they don't play much, and again, randoms online irritate me most of the time.

Hit me up. XBL gamertag dcthug78

Just purchased for the 360 . . .

I can set up an online franchise (or connected career) if anyone else wants to play. We've tried them in the past to varying results but I'd like to at least finish a season.

I would do it.

there was a really good one last year, that went 4 or five seasons, I think. The people slowly dropped out and the better players stayed. I was long gone by then.

I would love to be in a division with people who are ok, but not great. The play it 3 times a week crew.....

Archived