Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Madden 13 Thread

MattFancy

If you have the EA online access then when you start up the game it should automatically check the rosters and tell you if there is an update. You'll see it on the bottom saying "checking for roster updates" or something to that effect.

It downloaded 1 roster update. I went to the online portion and it downloaded the play now rosters. I can't find any place to download the CCM rosters...

And when I go to start a CCM, there's no option of which rosters to use.

Blitzing has always been useless, unless you disguise it before the snap. Back in my prime days online I would always move the guys aroud, back them off the los, press, everything. Also, with the new camera angles, making it impossible to see the perimeter of the field pre-snap, I'd always blitz my corners. It would be like taking candy from a baby when playing against guys that always wanted to pass, but I would always struggle against guys that could run the ball masterfully, and get me out of my disguised nickel/dime coverages. I played Nick like that and he kicked my ass. I was never able to stop him on the ground.

• 3 weeks later...
Blitzing has always been useless, unless you disguise it before the snap. Back in my prime days online I would always move the guys aroud, back them off the los, press, everything. Also, with the new camera angles, making it impossible to see the perimeter of the field pre-snap, I'd always blitz my corners. It would be like taking candy from a baby when playing against guys that always wanted to pass, but I would always struggle against guys that could run the ball masterfully, and get me out of my disguised nickel/dime coverages. I played Nick like that and he kicked my ass. I was never able to stop him on the ground.

Blitzing your corners also leaves you liable to some quick passes to that WR. When I first started playing my friends, I'd do that a lot and make some big gains by doing that against a blitzing corner and picking up a lot of YAC after beating the safety/LB who's late getting there.

---------- Post added October-9th-2012 at 09:58 PM ----------

I never played any of those games. I just put it on all madden and started playing. I got skunked by the computer but I got better quickly. Im on ps3 Huey_PQ add me and I'll play. I will say this. Blitzing IMO is useless.

You live by the blitz and you die by the blitz. The thing about some teams, Washington being one of them is that we don't need to blitz because 98 and 91 are so good at beating their pressure. But sometimes a blitz by a corner or somebody else can be really effective on a playaction pass or against somebody who if given too much time can really defeat you.

Basically every coverage has its benefits and its downfalls, I used to live by man coverage, but then I started seeing that people could beat be depending on whether my guy was playing inside or outside (if Hall is playing inside and they throw an outside post route, its probably gonna be complete, or if hall is outside and they throw it inside). Also crossing routes are great against most coverages but they take a lot of time to develop, so a blitz against them works generally (if you can get to him). The thing I hate about blitzes is that it leaves holes in the defense, or it takes away your safety help, so what would be a standard 7 yard slant winds up being a 77 yard play because Moss gets the YAC because there's nobody there to stop him and once he gets going, he's gone.

:bow:

I am not liking how slow the Madden engineers have made Morris. He isn't a track star, but they have his speed rated at 83? Really....?

It's frustrating because it doesn't reflect his actual play on the field and Madden is supposed to strive for accuracy in player ratings.

In the game, Morris is way to slow to ever get to the edge to make those cut-backs and find open lanes. Anytime I swap him out for Helu and run the same plays, I run the ball with ease because of Helu's speed rating. Not asking for Morris to be rated a speedster, but they should at least have his ability in the game, match what he is doing on the field.

I wouldn't even care, except or the fact that speed is the #1 benefit in Madden. When you put all your highest rated speedsters at the top of the depth chart you will notice that suddenly short passes are going for 25 yards a pop, screen passes can be taken to the house, etc etc etc....

I play on the PS3, my user name is T-bizkit21. I am 5-1 online and use the skins. I switch to 4-3 and put orakpo on DE, he is 99 or 98 overall there. Unlike most here, I play alot of zone. I do man when it think run. But i play mostly cover 3 and i control the safety that stays in the middle zone. Lots of players like to use their TE or slot receiver so i try to take him out with the safety. And i usually blitz a corner or linebacker on the side the safety i am controlling is. I do not get many sacks but it forces quick decisions. Which leads to many user picks by my safety, because they try to force it to their TE or slot receiver. Only problem is the flat is open but on third and long that really is not an option. Also a great zone play to stop the pass is Velcro 9.

I am not liking how slow the Madden engineers have made Morris. He isn't a track star, but they have his speed rated at 83? Really....?

It's frustrating because it doesn't reflect his actual play on the field and Madden is supposed to strive for accuracy in player ratings.

In the game, Morris is way to slow to ever get to the edge to make those cut-backs and find open lanes. Anytime I swap him out for Helu and run the same plays, I run the ball with ease because of Helu's speed rating. Not asking for Morris to be rated a speedster, but they should at least have his ability in the game, match what he is doing on the field.

I wouldn't even care, except or the fact that speed is the #1 benefit in Madden. When you put all your highest rated speedsters at the top of the depth chart you will notice that suddenly short passes are going for 25 yards a pop, screen passes can be taken to the house, etc etc etc....

I agree with this. Morris is not a real RB I can use. I mean I can get some bruiser yards through the middle, but he's not that slow in real life. Helu is a better Madden back for the sweeps, but sweeps are dangerous. I like going through a hole and just getting 10 yards. With Helu its generally about 3 or 4 because he's so slow.

I agree with this. Morris is not a real RB I can use. I mean I can get some bruiser yards through the middle, but he's not that slow in real life. Helu is a better Madden back for the sweeps, but sweeps are dangerous. I like going through a hole and just getting 10 yards. With Helu its generally about 3 or 4 because he's so slow.

I average close to 90 yards a game with the skins in online play (now 10-0 just beat a dude player with the steelers). what pisses me off is he drops a lot of passes if there's a LB near him. It's just too easy to stop the run unless it's a draw play, but that's ok. i use the run to setup the pass. playaction can be murder, especially since i only run out of the same formation (unless it's a draw).

one thing that is really starting to piss me off when playing online is that when you hot route the announcers announce it, even if you are running up to the line of scrimmage. what this basically does is make it so the other player knows that it's not going to be a run. a good example is i was playing this guy just now and running the ball, then i select a pass play. being a nice human he had started to bring polamalu into the box to stop the run (since I was gashing him for 7 yards a carry), but as soon as he hears the announcer say "The QB is making changes at the line" or whatever they say, he drops him back into coverage. the only way around this is to hope they announcers are still talking when you do it. it didn't really effect my play because he couldn't do anything to stop the pass with polamalu (and LBs are retarded defending RBs coming out of the backfield for the most part), but it would be nice if they took it out so you can take advantage of people who like to bring the safety in.

---------- Post added October-11th-2012 at 07:30 PM ----------

I can't ever get any pressure, I gave up blitz. I let my friend play one night completely ruined my record.

yea, i pretty much gave up on blitzing. i could send everyone, bump and run, etc, and they still have time to get a quick pass off to the TE or the slot, or the RB out of the backfield. i run basically only 2 man under, controlling the zone LB. this can stop most players who love using the TEs and slot recievers, but the steelers player i just played would run out routes to all the outside recievers, which i couldn't stop (but eventually he turned the ball over and stopped running them). i blitz every once in a while, but for the most part it doesn't work worth a damn. here's a video of me securing the win against the texans using 2 man under. he had been using the same TE route all game, and i had picked it off once already, but this time i took it to the house and then hit him with the pose to make sure he remembers that it doesn't work against me (pay close attention to the right inside linebacker, or from our view, the linebacker on the left. you may get me once or twice or 3 times, but eventually i'll get the user pick.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/138381546

as far as my approach is defense is this...get ahead fast, and unless the guy is calm and collected, he will start to change what he normally does and start risking passes a little bit more. this is when you grab a pick. 90 percent of the players i've played in ncaa 13 and madden 13 will eventually throw to someone who is covered. i average 3 takeaways (interceptions) a game in head to head, and in the XtremeMadden league we got going on, I think I've got 28 interceptions through 6 games. also, don't turn the ball over. my biggest advice to people who play against me is don't stop what you are doing if you get down. don't be impatient, and don't be afraid of a 14 point deficit. i've been down 21 points at half and have came back because i didn't panic and was able to get some turnovers in the 2nd (and a little luck). i know i'm rambling, but to me, ncaa 13 and madden 13 aren't really about being awesome at defense (you won't be able to stop good players no matter how good you think you are), it's more about being able to get the lead and pressure the other guy into getting away from his high percentage plays. another thing i make a point to do is stop the run, because once they give up on that, they forget they can just hand the ball off. i've played games where arian foster will run all over me the first or 2nd touchdown drive, but i'll be able to counter punch and get the score even. then on the next drive they'll run it the first play, i'll stop em for a loss, and they won't run another run play the entire game. it really limits your options and also frees my user controlled LB to get into coverage and start intercepting the ball, or at the very least i'll be disrupting their go 2 route, and they'll start throwing it to other guys they aren't 100 percent comfortable with.

ugh wall of text.

just beat a dude who was playing the 9ers (to his credit, it's the only team he plays with...perhaps it's actually his favorite team). game winning score linked. 0 punts the entire game, he threw a pick that i scored on the following drive ended up being really the only mistakes. i did throw an interception to end the half but it didn't hurt anything. otherwise it was score score score. his overall record is 32-12 with a 710 h2h skill rating. wondering if it's actually possible to stop good players without dropping linemen into coverage.

https://www.easports.com/media/play/video/138747696

just beat a dude who was playing the 9ers (to his credit, it's the only team he plays with...perhaps it's actually his favorite team). game winning score linked. 0 punts the entire game, he threw a pick that i scored on the following drive ended up being really the only mistakes. i did throw an interception to end the half but it didn't hurt anything. otherwise it was score score score. his overall record is 32-12 with a 710 h2h skill rating. wondering if it's actually possible to stop good players without dropping linemen into coverage.

https://www.easports.com/media/play/video/138747696

It's not possible to play defense in this game as far as I'm concerned. It's gotten to the point where my willingness to play the game has all but disappeared.

to relieve some frustration from the nats blowing it, i decided to play some madden h2h...rolled a dude who played with the cowboys...it was 41-17 when he conceded defeat. brandon banks had a punt return and a kick return for a TD...something strange happened on the punt return tho...i called a fair catch, but play continued. anyone had that happen before? i've had it happen to me once but didn't give up a TD so it wasn't a biggie.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/138740801

Check out THIS sick run by Alfred :ols:

Needless to say, two Broncos needed ankle braces after this play.

Im willing to bet that was someone playing against the computer, cause Morris is not that fast in all pro, head to head online.

---------- Post added October-13th-2012 at 08:22 AM ----------

to relieve some frustration from the nats blowing it, i decided to play some madden h2h...rolled a dude who played with the cowboys...it was 41-17 when he conceded defeat. brandon banks had a punt return and a kick return for a TD...something strange happened on the punt return tho...i called a fair catch, but play continued. anyone had that happen before? i've had it happen to me once but didn't give up a TD so it wasn't a biggie.

Yep, Ive had that happen on a punt before. As soon as he punted, I started spaming the triangle key (on my PS3 controller) and Banks waived for the fair catch immediately, then got plowed over by two gunners due to zero blocking lol. Thankfully, I held on to the ball. Another time, did the same thing and got the fair catch and the persons gunners hit Banks 1-2 seconds after he caught it and the whistle blew............no flag. Pissed me off.

I've had that happen to me twice as well. Once Banks got wrecked but held on to the ball (that's how you know Madden is unrealistic) and the other time I managed to get a 15 yard return because the other guy ran his gunner right by me thinking the play was dead.

Im willing to bet that was someone playing against the computer, cause Morris is not that fast in all pro, head to head online.

Didn't look all that fast to me (aside from that cut, holy hell that was quick), he just had a TON of space because the blocking held up everyone but the backside corner and the safety who got juked out of his shoes at the line. Also the CPU doesn't usually let you cut behind them like that at the end, in my experience, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a human opponent.

Only Nick knows for sure ;)

i have officially entered the cheese zone and got my first lost...first 4 kicks he squibbed it and my guys just jumped over the ball...screw you EA.

I went against my own advice and played a few more games today despite having been in the cheese zone for basically my last dozen plus games. Last game of the night was against a guy who did nothing but either onside or squib it and always started the kick immediately so I couldn't audible out if he caught me off guard (there's a VERY high squib recovery rate by the kicking team if you're stuck in an onside formation). Skins special teams came up big for me (again, that's how you know Madden is unrealistic) and I took advantage of the field position, scoring pretty easily on every drive and forcing a couple turnovers against his equally cheesy offensive strategy of only throwing to his TEs (Gronkowski and... wait for it... Welker) on seem and corner routes that my defense did NOT want to react to without loads of manual player placement and audibling.

TL;DR - Beat some more cheesers, still not enjoying the game like I would if I got a decent matchup and/or if defense was possible in this game.

Archived