Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you had to go without a sense, which sense would you chose to lose?

Springfield

If you lost touch, could you basically put your hand on like fire and not feel anything? That'd be pretty cool.

Have you ever tried to walk when your legs had fallen asleep? This goes way beyond no pain, but no feedback at all. And you won't know if you're in the process of being injured or burned or anything of the like and it could be very dangerous. Sex? Well any enjoyment you'd get from it would be purely in your head, because you wouldn't feel a thing. Touch is probably the most important sense.

Touch is probably the most important sense.

Agreed. People can live without their sight or hearing, but if you lose your sense of touch, you can literally chop your arm off and bleed to death without realizing it.

I'd probably go with losing my sense of taste. On one hand, I would never be able to enjoy good food, but on the other, I would probably eat a lot healthier.

I would pick touch...

The sense of touch is all of one's ability to feel on one's skin, I couldn't stand it if I couldn't feel a hug from my kids or my wife's kisses, that would drive me mad.

I would give up smell as well, I love the taste of food and smell makes up the majority of how we taste, but eyesight, hearing and touch are WAY too important not only relationally but also for safety and survival to voluntarily give up.

If you lost touch, could you basically put your hand on like fire and not feel anything? That'd be pretty cool.

Then you'd lose your hand. The ability to feel pain is one of the most important things your body does, do you know anybody who has lost their sense of touch? Unless you are very careful, its a death sentence.

---------- Post added June-10th-2012 at 07:36 AM ----------

My brother actually cannot smell. Not sure how or why but at a young age he didn't understand what people described as smells and the doctors determined he had no sense of smell. He can still taste food though I am sure it is lessened or perhaps he even likes some foods he wouldn't if he had smell though.

My choice to go would definitely be smell as well. I could make do with lessened taste because of it. . Honestly, if I lost sight I would struggle just to find a reason to get out of bed. I could understand if you were born blind but to have sight and know what you lost would be almost unbearable to me.

I know several people with no sense of smell and none can really taste. Yeah, they can taste some but only strong flavors. Most of them use heavy spice (especially salt or heat) or eating is just functional.

---------- Post added June-10th-2012 at 07:42 AM ----------

Why? I wouldn't be able to taste it! My friends would say "Hey, taste this." And I'd say "I can't, you're gonna have to finish it all on your own!"

And you could still detect texture, heat (both in terms of temperature and pepper) and cold plus you'd still have sight and smell. Also, if you still had memory of how things taste, certain things would probably still gross you out.

Taste. Would suck to lose that, but not as much as the others.

Always bad,but really deteriorated from about 4,corrected somewhat as a teen,surgery at 18 to get rid of the coke bottles

Wow, that must have been awesome to finally be able to see.

and be nearly normal

Hmm, I think we should be the judges of that. :ols:

I'm going with taste, I could eat crappy healthy food all the time and not know the difference. I'd be in way better shape. Was considering smell until I read the dog poop argument.

Most people don't smell the dog poop that they step in... That happens with all of your senses intact.

But as a potential hazard, you might look a little closer for it.

On the bright side...You wouldn't smell it, or the stinky people and places that you have been to or seen.

:silly:

If you had to go the rest of your life without a sense, which sense would you choose?

Hearing

Sight

Touch

Smell

Taste

Also, for the sake of argument, which sense is the most important to you?

I have to say, as an aspiring chef, this question sucks. Can't lose my smell or taste, those would be the two most important. If I lose my sight then I can't physically cook anymore, but it might actually help to sharpen my senses of smell and taste. If I lose my touch, I'm liable to chop off my fingers and burn myself badly. That leaves me with hearing which I'm losing due to the noise in kitchens anyways. But if I lose hearing, no music and my personal life becomes depressing. I'll chose my 6th sense, dead people are always complaining anyways.

I already don't have a fashion sense, does that count?

But it's a toss up between smell and taste. I love food, and I love to cook, and that would be very difficult without a sense of taste (assuming losing 1 sense doesn't affect the others). But, like others, losing my sense of taste would make it sooooooo much easier to eat healthier and lose weight.

I already don't have a fashion sense, does that count?

But it's a toss up between smell and taste. I love food, and I love to cook, and that would be very difficult without a sense of taste (assuming losing 1 sense doesn't affect the others). But, like others, losing my sense of taste would make it sooooooo much easier to eat healthier and lose weight.

Probably is that your sense of smell is actually a huge part of your taste. That's why food has little flavor when you are sick. So losing smell is almost like losing both.

Probably is that your sense of smell is actually a huge part of your taste. That's why food has little flavor when you are sick. So losing smell is almost like losing both.

Yeah, I know. But I was hoping for one of those isolated things where losing one doesn't affect another. Like losing your sight would make you hearing/touch better normally, but might not in this scenario.

Archived