Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Brown: At least 50 percent of NFL players smoke pot

Good point Bang, could you imagine playing football baked? lol

Any kind of physical activity will kill your buzz, at least it always did for myself and my neighborhood friends as a teenager. I could see it being a problem in the film room or on the practice field, but if you're out there running you won't be high for long at all. Unless you smoke a very large amount of it, and at that point people are going to notice regardless.

Hell a pickup halfcourt basketball game is enough to sober up fairly quickly. It's kind of pointless to smoke beforehand....I'll bet they wait til after practice or games to blaze up.

I've competed in BJJ competitions under the influence of MJ and have had some of my best matches, and basketball players have admitted that they play better under the influence.

Don't see what the problem is here. If you don't like it, you can simply...

not smoke it

There are many strains of cannabis that are great for pain treatment. Many football players have painful injuries that constantly nag them. I would much rather have the players eating some nice infused edibles or smoking a bit to treat their pain rather than using all the opiates out there. The legal opiates are worse for you, but I'm assuming the players are allowed to consume those pills under doctor orders. And with DC getting dispensaries, why not let them be patients at the dispensaries so they can get strains that target their needs rather than making them find whatever they can on the black market. In the end, all that matters is if they can get the job done on the field and not what they do at home.

bong20hit.gif

Honestly, this is ridiculous.

OK, so you believe that without rules and boundaries, these players will show up stoned to play in games.

And you also seem to think that if ANY player does this there will be no consequences. As if any employer in America allows employees to show up for work drunk or stoned..(you know, NORMAL rules and boundaries.)

Well, you are the one pushing for pot to not be a banned substance in the NFL. Not me.

Why would there be consequences if it isn't a banned substance anymore?

Why aren't they this irresponsible with alcohol?

I noticed you avoided that part of my post. Why are't there players falling down drunk in the huddle? I mean, after all, they aren't tested for it, and they can't even manage money!

Why do you think players will treat it differently?

Answer that, please.

I think once you do, you'll find out that the same thing will apply to pot.

No one said they would show up drunk. However, as I said in another post, coaches in the NFL do have a boundry called curfew. If this boundry did not exsist, I think you'd have more players showing up Sunday for a game hungover from a Saturday night of alcohol. So apparently, the coaches DO see it as a potential problem and adress it.

Oh, but let me guess. In your mind, players don't show up drunk because even though it's a legal high, they realize they'll probably lose their jobs, and someone ELSE will make a million dollars in their place... so they're smart enough to not have a few shots of whiskey before kickoff.

In your mind, players are too stupid to make the connection that showing up for work impaired may cost them livelihood, even though they already demonstrate enough common sense not to do it with something they are ALL legally allowed to do.

We lost 2 players last season because they were stupid with this substance.

You think if the NFL dropped it as a banned substance, they will suddenly get smarter with it? :ols:

All this is a moot point anyway because the NFL won't drop it off its list of banned substances anytime soon.

Why aren't they this irresponsible with alcohol?

I noticed you avoided that part of my post. Why are't there players falling down drunk in the huddle? I mean, after all, they aren't tested for it, and they can't even manage money!

Why do you think players will treat it differently?

Answer that, please.

I actually don't disagree with your overall point but on the above I bet the biggest drugs issue in the NFL - as in society at large - is alcohol abuse. Players - and people - do treat alcohol differently and it causes far more health and social consequences than weed IMO. Thats not a reason to make alcohol illegal (I recall you guys tried that and it did not go well) but it actually does make the case stronger in my mind for making cannabis legal - its just inconsistent to treat them differently IMO. I don't use either by the way. It does point though that players would likely/possibly abuse cannabis more if it was legal.

Players are not falling down drunk in the huddle - with the odd exception (I recall John Riggins being drunk/drinking on the sideline in the 80's though after he had been pulled from game in garbage time and Maurice Claret was caught drinking in the weight room as a rookie in Denver) but there are a number of players with alcohol problems which impact their ability to play and get them into legal problems which effects their availability. Probably a lot more players have alcohol problems than are dope heads. I don't know if making cannabis legal would increase usage and problems arising from that use but its certainly possible.

Even some of the most objective studies I've read say 1 in 4 Americans have at least tried it...

so when you consider NFL players are a younger demographic this isn't surprising. I guess the only thing that's surprising to me is that more of them don't get caught.

Yeah.

I don't think the NFL has a place policing this drug. I think it'd be hard to argue that it's a performance enhancer. They'd save themselves a lot of trouble by just ignoring it's use and no fan would be the wiser.

I would also expect the percentage of players who smoke pot to be a good deal higher than the percentage of the general population that smokes pot because the league is entirely comprised of young men.

I don't know if making cannabis legal would increase usage and problems arising from that use but its certainly possible.

They would have to restrict its use. Maybe decriminalize it, but with restrictions. I don't know about the UK, but the US is filled to the brim with completely dysfunctional people. IMO, this is in large part a result of the breakdown of the family unit. It's another reason why there are so many gangs and problems associated with them. In any event, we should not be jailing people for pot possession. Hopefully one day our nation will have forward thinking & capable people in charge that will be able to wrap their heads around this huge problem and finally solve or ameliorate it greatly.

They would have to restrict its use. Maybe decriminalize it, but with restrictions. I don't know about the UK, but the US is filled to the brim with completely dysfunctional people. IMO, this is in large part a result of the breakdown of the family unit. It's another reason why there are so many gangs and problems associated with them. In any event, we should not be jailing people for pot possession. Hopefully one day our nation will have forward thinking & capable people in charge that will be able to wrap their heads around this huge problem and finally solve or ameliorate it greatly.

Yep we have the same issue in the UK. Many of these dysfunctional people as you call them though are already substance abusers and often multiple substances. I'm not sure if substance abuse is why they are dysfunctional or a result - bit of both probably. In many areas poor family support and lack of roles models is a big issue. Rising youth unemployment due to the recession is not helping either.

I also agree that giving people criminal records or jail time for drug use or possession is not the way to go - its clearly not working and just expands the jail population not to mention to cost of keeping these folks locked up.

I also agree that giving people criminal records or jail time for drug use or possession is not the way to go - its clearly not working and just expands the jail population not to mention to cost of keeping these folks locked up.

I never understood that also. You want people to be responsible and contributing part of society yet you give them a criminal record, which effectively ruins their ability to find a job and earn an income that would enable them to do so. Stupid...

Well, I won't get into a pot debate because this isn't the board for it. However, I will say as of right now, pot use is ILLEGAL. It has to be treated that way.

I'm not talking about the United States now. I'm talking about the NFL. Even if the U.S. legalizes marijuana, it doesn't mean the NFL will allow it. They are a private company and can set there own worker rules.

We already lost 2 players for 4 games last season. We could lose them for the WHOLE season next time (and Lord knows who else :doh: ).

Let's just hope the two potential knuckleheads don't take the matter as flippantly as many on this board do.

Cause the NFL sure as hell isn't.

As big of a pothead as I used to be, I can't say I disagree with you.

Regardless of anything else, whether a question of morality or not, it IS still illegal in the USA. However, there are a TON of items we, as regular citizens, can pick up at your local vitamin & GNC stores that are banned by MOST pro sports Leagues. I can't see the League EVER making it ok.

That being said, & on a personal note, I have no issue with someone smoking pot in moderation. In my years as a pothead, I did a lot of research on it (which got me in a lot of trouble once I had to go thru ASAP due to a possession charge) & it IS far less harmful to the body then alcohol.

But, like alcohol, many people have a hard time knowing where their limits SHOULD be. I was one of those people. I praise God today that I got caught, because I was spiralling out of control in my life & the worse things got, the more I wanted to stay high. But, that was me. It's not the same for everyone.

Done in moderation, like alcohol, I have no problem with people smoking pot & I do think the gov't should legalize it, sell it like alcohol, tax the crap out of it, & put that money towards the deficit.

:paranoid:

But I digress. The NFL will NEVER allow it, no matter what the US gov't does.

---------- Post added May-21st-2012 at 07:56 AM ----------

I never understood that also. You want people to be responsible and contributing part of society yet you give them a criminal record, which effectively ruins their ability to find a job and earn an income that would enable them to do so. Stupid...

Partly because we haven't come up with a viable way to punish people for these crimes. I agree that it is extremely counter-productive because it encourages people to stay in the system rather than becoming productive members of society. It makes no sense whatsoever.

However, in my own experience, when I got caught on possession, I did what I was told, peed clean, went to my court sanctioned AA & ASAP meetings, was on time to my probation officer & was able to finish my probation early AND had my record expunged.

BTW, the ASAP class was a joke. Going along with the counter-productiveness of the system, they teach people who are there because of pot that pot will make you hallucinate, among other untruths about the drug. :doh:

The only reason this is a problem is because it's against the law (federally) and against the NFL rules. If half the NFL is smoking weed, and they're STILL successful, well-paid, professional athletes, maybe we need to re-think this above the influence, marijuana ruins your life crap. Don't smoke pot little Jimmy, or you'll end up winning multiple gold metals like Michael Phelps. Don't smoke refer little Suzy, or you'll end up President of the United States like Barack Obama...

:doh:

Well, you are the one pushing for pot to not be a banned substance in the NFL. Not me.

Why would there be consequences if it isn't a banned substance anymore?

For one, I am not pushing for it to be unbanned, per sé. It shouldn't be illegal, period.

But in terms of this discussion, I am taking your ridiculous fears and showing how ridiculous they are.

There would be consequences for allowing any substance to affect your work, be it alcohol, pot, cocaine, or whatever.

Just like there are everywhere. Just like there already is in the NFL.

Overweight? Lose 30 pounds or get cut.

Drunk in practice? Cut.

Stoned in a meeting? Cut.

You seem to think that this would not happen.

Why?

No one said they would show up drunk.

No, you said they'd show up stoned. I am asking why you think they'll do one but not the other.

You know,, explain your idea here. Tell me why you think they'll get high, but don't get drunk before a game

However, as I said in another post, coaches in the NFL do have a boundry called curfew. If this boundry did not exsist, I think you'd have more players showing up Sunday for a game hungover from a Saturday night of alcohol. So apparently, the coaches DO see it as a potential problem and adress it.

Oh my goodness! You mean NFL coaches treat this issue like EVERY OTHER BOSS IN THE COUNTRY???

[

We lost 2 players last season because they were stupid with this substance.

we lost two players to substance abuse that they committed away from the field, away from the game, away from practice and in their own time when it hurts no one.

If this testing didn't exist, then we would not have lost either of them, and you'd never have known they ever got high on their own time, away from the game, when it hurts no one..

You think if the NFL dropped it as a banned substance, they will suddenly get smarter with it? :ols:

You think they would do it any differently than they already do?

If they didn't have to face piss tests, they'd smoke it as they do now (the OP claims half of them already do this, with some quotes in there estimating as much as 70% smoke.). They'd do it away from the game. (Like they do with alcohol. They don't get drunk on gameday, but you insist they'll get high.)

There is a major check and balance in place here that you don't seem to get.

This is a high paying job. It's a GOOD job.

Those who have this job and DO show up high, will not have this job for long. This is one of those things that works itself out.

Player dumb enough to show up drunk or stoned = player on the wavier wire rather quickly = player working for 7-11 within 6 months.

See- Russell, Jamarcus.

As you said above,, NFL coaches already have thingsw in place to insure their players aren't out carousing the night before a game. Yet somehow stopping piss tests would nullify the effectiveness of the threat of losing one's job..

It's amusing that you think that stopping testing like this will lead to stoned players on gameday. A small percentage might, and they'll be quickly removed.

I would ask you in your own life, do you have a problem showing up for work drunk or high?

Assuming the answer is "no"..what makes you think you're any different from them?

You can handle it, why can't they?

~Bang

Having just graduated last week, I will say that pot is pervasive on college campuses. I have never smoked myself, but I'd bet that at least half of my friends have at some point at least tried it. There's just too many people using it, and doing so nearly openly, so anyone inclined to try it or use it can easily do so.

As such, I'm not surprised in the slightest that 50% of players smoke, or that a huge number of draftees have tried it.

I do not care about this - at all. It's a complete joke that the league tests for pot - "performance enhancing" it ain't, and what players do on their own time should be their business. Testing/enforecement for this is a complete waste of time and effort for all involved.

The only reason this is a problem is because it's against the law (federally) and against the NFL rules. If half the NFL is smoking weed, and they're STILL successful, well-paid, professional athletes, maybe we need to re-think this above the influence, marijuana ruins your life crap. Don't smoke pot little Jimmy, or you'll end up winning multiple gold metals like Michael Phelps. Don't smoke refer little Suzy, or you'll end up President of the United States like Barack Obama...

:doh:

*stands and applauds* Like said earlier, the only reason it's illegal is b/c the lumber companies would go bankrupt b/c hemp would bankrupt them.

I do not care about this - at all. It's a complete joke that the league tests for pot - "performance enhancing" it ain't, and what players do on their own time should be their business. Testing/enforecement for this is a complete waste of time and effort for all involved.

Nail head, meet hammer.

~Bang

This is definitely true. My friend who went to VT dealt to Ryan Williams (RB for Arizona now). You know who his supplier was? Jeff Allen from the basketball team.

This isn't characteristic of athletes, but more young people in general. It's definitely popular with our generation.

I, too, think it's stupid how big of a deal the media makes over weed. If it was coke or HGH or something, I would definitely understand.

I know we have the luxury of having the anonymity of posting from behind screen names, but some of yall are REALLY out of line with dropping names. Whether it's true or hearsay, you have to be real careful about what you're posting. Just my .02

Seen some bad stuff happen in real life based off of MB rumors...

This is definitely true. My friend who went to VT dealt to Ryan Williams (RB for Arizona now). You know who his supplier was? Jeff Allen from the basketball team.

This isn't characteristic of athletes, but more young people in general. It's definitely popular with our generation.

I, too, think it's stupid how big of a deal the media makes over weed. If it was coke or HGH or something, I would definitely understand.

You might want to edit out the names above.

Archived