Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Brown: At least 50 percent of NFL players smoke pot

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8292ebd3/article/brown-at-least-50-percent-of-nfl-players-smoke-pot?module=HP11_headline_stack

They don't mention the Skins, but since we did have issues with Williams and Davis being suspended last year I thought it was Skins-relevant. Mods, if this needs to go into the ATN Forum instead, I understand.

A trio of marijuana-related arrests for the Detroit Lions this offseason is indicative of a more widespread problem plaguing the league, according to one former NFL offensive lineman.

Lomas Brown, now an ESPN analyst, claims at least 50 percent of NFL players likely smoke marijuana, according to a report in the Detroit News

"I just don't think you'll be able to curb this," Brown told the newspaper.

In Brown's eyes, this is actually an improvement. Brown claims up to 90 percent of players league-wide smoked marijuana when he began his career with the Lions in 1985.

It falls in line with some recent findings:

• Four out of 10 draft-eligible prospects from the 2012 class failed at least one school-administered drug test for marijuana; two in 10 failed multiple times, per a CBS Sports report from April.

• "About 70 percent" of prospects at the combine admitted to using marijuana, per an ESPN report.

• A 2009 report by the NCAA stated 26.7 percent of all football players admitted using marijuana over the past 12 months, the highest number of any athlete group they surveyed.

I suppose we should be stunned. Here in Culver City, Calif., we're a brief jog away from Venice Beach, where medical marijuana shacks dot the Pacific Ocean. As you walk by, vibrant youth hoist signs asking you to come in and "see the doctor." A surreal scene, but a testament to how easy it is to get your hands on the drug.

I can vouch for that last paragraph lol :yes:...

I know for a fact that multiple members of the NYG smoke. I could call the comish and have him do a random test on a few ppl just before a divisional game against the Giants lol.

I would throw them under the bus, but that goes against my ethical code. Even if it is the Giants.

Even some of the most objective studies I've read say 1 in 4 Americans have at least tried it...

so when you consider NFL players are a younger demographic this isn't surprising. I guess the only thing that's surprising to me is that more of them don't get caught.

Back in 1985, I'd think alcohol would've been more popular with the Skins. The 5 o'clock club might've been using a bong, but it would've been a beer bong. OTOH, if half the NFL were kicked out, Congress would probably legalize it overnight.

Guarantee the actual number is much higher than that. My friend played safety at Alabama and was on the team with Roddy White and said he smoked all the time. The NFL just needs to wake up and realize marijuana use should only be punishable by the government, cuz no one else cares.

Also, the only reason marijuana is still illegal is because of the lobbying the lumber industry does every year. Hemp would bankrupt them. Do people actually think marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol use?

You just have to be careful about when you smoke. I think the only time you get randomly tested is when you get caught; otherwise, I'd imagine it's rather easy to know when you're going to get tested and plan according.

It's also easy to defeat a urine test.

It's also easy to defeat a urine test.

Lawrence Taylor used to have a "clean" friend pee into a Visine bottle, and then LT would hide the Visine bottle in his underwear, and spray it into the cup during his eyewitness-league-supervised drug tests. Crazy.

As for the original topic, I'd always assumed around 3/4 NFL-ers regularly smoke pot. By everything I've heard or ever read, the NBA has the highest percentage of stoners, where virtually all the players partake.

I know for a fact that multiple members of the NYG smoke. I could call the comish and have him do a random test on a few ppl just before a divisional game against the Giants lol.

I would throw them under the bus, but that goes against my ethical code. Even if it is the Giants.

Um. You just posted that on a public website. The commish could very well read this.

It's weed. Non-story. It is essentially being legalized.

Next story.

Obviously, it's easily more than that. Probably 70% actively smoke while 20% don't smoke anymore but did in the past but have families or are too old. Then theres the 10% that are model citizens that probably have never touched the stuff like Tebow or Robert Griffin. We aren't paying to watch choir boys hit each other to smithereens, they are people from usually a rough background getting payed to knock people out.

It's just our luck that Fred Davis and Trent Williams are so oblivious that they got caught, even though the smallest amount of foresight can dodge testing positive since most people are smart enough to pass it easily.

I really think the NFL should give up on weed. Its a waste of time and money to punish guys for this. Performance enhancers and hard drugs are the only things they should care about. I have a friend who plays in the MLB and he has told me how much and how frequently they all smoke. They bring it on the team plane, have a team guy, etc.

I really think the NFL should give up on weed. Its a waste of time and money to punish guys for this. Performance enhancers and hard drugs are the only things they should care about. I have a friend who plays in the MLB and he has told me how much and how frequently they all smoke. They bring it on the team plane, have a team guy, etc.

Yea my brother and I know a guy in the MLB.

Talks about smokin all the time.

90%? Really? Just because you smoke pot does not mean everyone else does, or even wants too. I'd be surprised if it were even remotely at 90% at any time. One of the biggest reasons is that these guys are finely tuned machines that are pretty touchy about anything going into their bodies that could lessen their edge. I do believe there's a lot of people doing drugs in the league, but I doubt 90% was EVER a realistic number. I just don't get anyone randomly throwing out numbers like that. Besides, isn't there some saying, "80% of all stats are made up"? :ols:

---------- Post added May-19th-2012 at 03:20 PM ----------

You just have to be careful about when you smoke. I think the only time you get randomly tested is when you get caught; otherwise, I'd imagine it's rather easy to know when you're going to get tested and plan according.

In the military there were all kinds of rumors about ways not to get caught. People tried all sorts of stupid stuff, but now that I'm in a medical program, in our lab diagnostic test, the ONE thing that actually has a high rate of success is drinking a GALLON of water before you go in to test. Apparently it dilutes the urine so heavily, and goes through your system so fast it doesn't pick up enough HTC to show a convincing positive.

Again, just what my professor told us, I still wouldn't put my job on the line to test it though. (Plus drinking a gallon of water has to hurt like a *****)

In the military there were all kinds of rumors about ways not to get caught. People tried all sorts of stupid stuff, but now that I'm in a medical program, in our lab diagnostic test, the ONE thing that actually has a high rate of success is drinking a GALLON of water before you go in to test. Apparently it dilutes the urine so heavily, and goes through your system so fast it doesn't pick up enough HTC to show a convincing positive.

Your professor is absolutely correct. Those "cleansing" drinks and tablets folks purchase for $50.00 are a joke. The key is diluting the sample & taking substances that interfere with the test: papain being a major one. The other key is to use the middle of your urine stream.

Your professor is absolutely correct. Those "cleansing" drinks and tablets folks purchase for $50.00 are a joke. The key is diluting the sample & taking substances that interfere with the test: papain being a major one. The other key is to use the middle of your urine stream.

:ols: And not to eat any poppyseed muffins.

This should teach you not to get your info on things from the Tailgate board. :ols:

The age difference between yourself and the quoted poster most likely explains the difference in perspective.

Among the baby boomers, there is still a lot of misconceptions about the effects of marijuana, while with those from my generation or younger, it's more of a live and let live kind of vibe.

To each their own, but it will be legal in our lifetimes. Personally, I think criminalizing it does more harm than marijuana ever has. This country has more than enough people incarcerated for non-violent offenses as it is.

Archived