Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Hearing coming in May on Redskins, Cowboys cap grievance

authentic

So when we get our 18 million back for this year, what do we do with it? :whoknows:
Frontload more contracts.

:evilg:

---------- Post added April-18th-2012 at 11:49 AM ----------

Not 100% locked down but word is we'll take a settlement of just getting the 18 mil of space back next year as the damage is already done this year.
thanks for the info.

that kinda sucks. so next year would be okay, we just get totally screwed this year with no compensation.

(For contracts the league approved, and were legal under the existing cba, and owners colluded amongst themselves, to act like the contracts were wrong after the fact. great now I'm mad again)

Stop getting excited. There is no way in hell we get any cap space or money or draft picks or BJs or anything. It sucks but its the truth, we got screwed

So you're thinkg the Redskins case is weak and we will loose in arbitration? If we win we absolutely will get cap space back (at the minimum).

Conveniently after free agency. So I think it says they knew they couldn't get it to stick, so they came up with a little evil conniving plan to actually get it to work. The only way, do it the day before free agency so that it couldn't be responded to fast enough. No respect for those people, wouldn't trust them with my wallet.

On another note, Special Master Stephen Burbank sounds like this is going to be a Dungeons and Dragons game between us and the NFL officiated by him :-O

It would be better to get the 18Mil back for this year, not next year if its one or the other. The 18 Mil could be used now if needed or if not then carried over as if we got the 18 Mil next year anyway.

Why? No significant damage was done to our FA plans. Yes, maybe we had to structure contracts a certain way but we can restructure them next year anyway. Also, we'll better be able to manage the floor without having to backload salaries so we can pay guys.

The problem is that the NFL already gave away the 23mil in cap space to other teams. And these teams will use this cap space during the draft and FA signings before May.

so... i see the arbitrator finding a "happy medium" where Skins/Boys lose 23mil this year and get their 23mil back back for next year. This was probably Goodell/ Mora plan all along.

If Skins are very lucky they might be able to throw in 3 paddle spanks for Mora.. possibly get Orakpo to do the spanking.

I have a couple of ideas. The least offensive one includes shoving it up John Mara's *** one penny at a time.

Yeah better to be 1 penny at a time; if it was one whole roll at a time, he might actually take some pleasure from it...:evilg:

One of my concerns would be is that this thing gets dragged out until there is essentially minimal benefit of the space for this season.None of us knows how this thing will turn out but the NFL management is really out of control,they are ruining this game on many different levels. Would love to see Goodell and Mara come out of this having been taken down a few pegs.

The problem is that the NFL already gave away the 23mil in cap space to other teams. And these teams will use this cap space during the draft and FA signings before May.
The bolded part is not true. More than 1/2 of the teams that had cap added because of the penalties won't be any where near the salary cap, much less use the extra cap space they were given.

The teams divied up the whole 36 million from us and 10 million from Dallas this year. The 18 million theyre supposed to take next year was already given to the teams this year. Only the Jaguars opted not to take the money this year. The only way I could see them fixing that is deducting from every teams cap next year other than the teams that didn't gain any space. That would be us, Dallas, Raiders, Saints and Jags.

so... i see the arbitrator finding a "happy medium" where Skins/Boys lose 23mil this year and get their 23mil back back for next year. This was probably Goodell/ Mora plan all along.

If Skins are very lucky they might be able to throw in 3 paddle spanks for Mora.. possibly get Orakpo to do the spanking.

In a perfect scenario these teams should have the space taken away from them next season.Beat me to it Sitting Bull.

The thing is, the Skins and the Cowboys have essentially been hit twice now for it. Mara should have either cut our cap space or doled the extra out to other clubs, not both. Skins and Boys are now in the "negative."

Think of it this way:

You and I are allowed to spend $100 per year.

You spend $105 one year and I spend $100 - you have now spent $5 more than me.

To make things even, one of two things should happen: either you spend $95 and I spend $100, or I spend $105 and you spend $100 - now we have both spent the same amount.

What Mara did was say you have to spend $95 and I can spend $105 - meaning now I have spent $5 more than you.

Let the other teams keep their cap space, we just need ours back. That will even things up.

The thing is, the Skins and the Cowboys have essentially been hit twice now for it. Mara should have either cut our cap space or doled the extra out to other clubs, not both. Skins and Boys are now in the "negative."

Think of it this way:

You and I are allowed to spend $100 per year.

You spend $105 one year and I spend $100 - you have now spent $5 more than me.

To make things even, one of two things should happen: either you spend $95 and I spend $100, or I spend $105 and you spend $100 - now we have both spent the same amount.

What Mara did was say you have to spend $95 and I can spend $105 - meaning now I have spent $5 more than you.

Let the other teams keep their cap space, we just need ours back. That will even things up.

Exactly. How is this supposed to work? Basically, we forever have 18 million less in cap space then the other teams?

we should get all of our money back, and the nfl should not be able to do this again. plus compensation. like a 2nd round pick.

i mean it WONT happen, but 18 mill in cap this year taken less than a week from FA is downright criminal. that was a dirty play by the NYG, we should get their 2nd round pick

Free Agency is not over. Just because the draft is coming up, doesn't mean you can't still sign guys. We would also need relief for our rookie contracts and any injuries we might sustain during the season, so I'd like at least a portion of our cap space back this year.

Yes, however, the real impact players are gone. Between Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, Brandon Carr, Ben Grubbs, Mario Williams, Eddie Royal, Evan Mathis, Chris Meyers...plus a half dozen other offensive linemen, the Redskins definitely would have signed at least one out of that group, and probably two or three. There's nothing that can be done to reverse that.

This was a very deep FA class with loads of talent. The Redskins knew it coming in, and they prepared for it. Then, an owner in their division abused his power and took away $36M - an absolutely staggering figure - from their cap space.

So, even if the Redskins get all their cap money back (and I suspect they will), the damage is done, never to be undone. I suspect that was Mara's plan all along, hence the timing.

If Bruce Allen believes there was no wrongdoing in the actions of the FO, isn't anything less than the full $36M just an insult? I mean, 2012 cap space may serve no real purpose at this point, but it seems like it would be more principal than anything.

Or is it just cutting losses and moving forward?

IMO if we get that offer we sign immediately. I think it's the best realistic outcome of the arbitration. Getting all $36M back seems highly unlikely. If we're getting a settlement offer that is equal to the best likely outcome, we take it with no hesitation, for the good of the team. Screw principle. What matters are Ws and Ls.

Well if we do get back the 18 mil for the 2013 season, here is a quick look at who will be Free Agents at that time. I grabbed a top 50 with position and age:

1. Drew Brees

QB

2. Calais Campbell

DT

3. Ray Rice

RB

4. LeSean McCoy

RB

5. Cliff Avril

DE

6. Jake Long

OT