Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Hearing coming in May on Redskins, Cowboys cap grievance

authentic

I think there is going to be some face saving deal done . We will not get the full 36, or even the 18 - I don't doubt that but I think if we take the deal there may be things worth more than money - well cap space - on the table .

People need to remember that this is only the first step . If the NFL arbitrator says there was nothing wrong with the way the punishment was handed out by the new CBA, then the next step is to challenge the CBA or challenge the act of collusion in itself .. though going that way is not without risks and the argument gets weaker and weaker ....

I'm not 100% on this, but from what i understand we would be able to carry what ever is left into next season.

My guess would be we won't get anything back this year. Money was already distributed to other teams and a cap set. Whatever we get will be awarded next year.

I know it's TK saying we'll get nothing this year, but I still suspect we'll get some relief this year and full relief next year. We are close enough to the current cap that it will still affect what we do with contracts. Even getting $6 million back this year and $18 million back next year would allow the league to save some face, while not hurting the Skins too much moving forward.

I hate that this is all led by Mara, but just about every other franchise is on board.

I really think anything less than *all our cap space back and some extra compensation* should be appealed. Even if we get nothing in the end. There's trying to get along, and there's refusing to accept getting hosed on principle. With the nature and timing of this mugging, "getting along" was tossed out the window by Mara and Co. weeks ago.

I think I just couldn't in good conscience "settle" for anything less than a full reimbursement of the 36 million.

What the league did was a Mafia style ***** slap to the Redskins. They were completely and totally wrong. Collusion is illegal. If I had vested ownership beyond just being a fan in this situation I would bring down the whole league before I would ever make some kind of ***** deal. I would push this thing as far as I could possibly push it, and if the wrong was not corrected I would get my retribution some other way. Any dirt I had on Goodell, Mara, the whole lot of them would be coming out into the open.

I just can't stand how this went down. My blood pressure rises every time I think about it.

This was posted in the other thread, but in case anybody missed it, Graziano's latest on the cap penalties is a good read:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/38262/cowboysredskins-why-the-nfl-got-mad

Many thanks to Albert for shining some light on what, exactly, the other owners found wrong with the way the Cowboys and the Redskins behaved in a year that was supposed to have no spending restrictions. The Cowboys and Redskins are arguing that there was no rule against what they did, and while that may be true, Giants owner and NFL management committee chairman John Mara said last month that all teams were warned that they could be punished if they did what these two teams did.

But for a couple of reasons, I continue to believe the teams that are complaining about this are full of it. First of all, commissioner Roger Goodell said at the owners' meetings last month that the reason for the penalties was that the teams in question had attempted to gain a competitive advantage in future years through their 2010 actions. But what Albert writes (on the league's own web site) is something quite different. Albert's reporting indicates that the reason the other teams got upset at the Cowboys and the Redskins was because their actions required them to spend more money than they wanted to spend to pay their own players. And if that's the case, then the artificial, unwritten guidelines the owners tried to put in place to control spending during the uncapped year were not an effort to maintain future competitive balance (as they have claimed publicly), but rather clearly an attempt to control player salaries.

More at link.

I still haven't had anyone explain to me how we don't automatically get the money back the third year. As I understand what's happened:

Cap this year(simplified): $120m

Our max team salary: $102m

We lose $18m in cap space

Next year same thing

League cap is like: $122m

Our cap would be: $104m

This is what I don't understand. The third year, our actual team salary would be below $104m because of the limitations the years before, but we will be back under the league cap max which would be maybe $124m. Meaning in that third year we end up back under the cap like $20m and have tons of money to throw around. Am I understanding this right? If so, this penalty isn't really a big deal to me. Just forces us to build through the draft a few years, and puts us back in position to find any remaining holes in FA after we've drafted our foundation.

If we get $18 million back this year, we should at minimum sign Davis to a long-term contract. I would also want to renew Darrell Young before the season starts instead of waiting for him to blow up this year, looks to be a contract year for him in 2012. Lorenzo Alexander and Gano are a couple guys we can extend their contracts early as opposed to waiting to last minute and risk losing them to free agency.

Players are going to get released that haven't been released yet after the draft heading into training camp. It's better not to be broke heading into training camp, so give us half now, half next year, same way they planned to take it from us, imo.

I don't know about getting extra picks or one of the giants picks. If it's not 2nd round - pick #33, I could care less. Don't throw me some scraps like a conditional 6th rounder trying to say you're sorry...

I still haven't had anyone explain to me how we don't automatically get the money back the third year. As I understand what's happened:

Cap this year(simplified): $120m

Our max team salary: $102m

We lose $18m in cap space

Next year same thing

League cap is like: $122m

Our cap would be: $104m

This is what I don't understand. The third year, our actual team salary would be below $104m because of the limitations the years before, but we will be back under the league cap max which would be maybe $124m. Meaning in that third year we end up back under the cap like $20m and have tons of money to throw around. Am I understanding this right? If so, this penalty isn't really a big deal to me. Just forces us to build through the draft a few years, and puts us back in position to find any remaining holes in FA after we've drafted our foundation.

This is correct, but we still lose a cumulative amount of money where we could've front loaded more deals especially with the huge FA crop this season. Plus, it doesn't help us that we have players like Fletcher who are probably gonna retire in a couple years which hand cuffs us this year and next if we had that extra money.

How many ES members work in the legal field? We (redskins and turd fans) should bring a class action lawsuit against Mara and Godell. In the spirit of season ticket holders affected by them....or something.

Hell the attention alone would be nice to see since the NFL is keeping this stuff under wraps.

Why? No significant damage was done to our FA plans. Yes, maybe we had to structure contracts a certain way but we can restructure them next year anyway. Also, we'll better be able to manage the floor without having to backload salaries so we can pay guys.

You know that how? How do you know what the original FA plan was? How do you know we didn't have to switch to Plan B or Plan C because of the huge salary cap hit?

Archived