Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Hearing coming in May on Redskins, Cowboys cap grievance

authentic

I'm not 100% on this, but from what i understand we would be able to carry what ever is left into next season.

I think we can carry over as well. If not, we should dump future salaries into this capped year, even though it's against the "spirit".

I'm pretty sure we aren't getting any money back...and definitely not getting compensatory picks.

First off, there's no "money" to get back. No money was taken away. Its cap space--they took away our ABILITY to spend that $18 million, they didn't actually take away $18 million.

Second, yeah I don't see any compensatory picks coming from something like this. That's purely wishful thinking on some peoples' parts.

Third, why are you pretty sure we won't win?

Third, why are you pretty sure we won't win?

I don't think anyone really has a clue what's going to happen. While on the surface we seem to have a very strong case anyone who does not have an intimate knowledge of the new CBA and the NFL bylaws does not really know what's going to happen. Personally while I will be surprised if we don't win in the sense we get at least some of that cap space back perhaps for next year I will not be THAT surprised.

Anyone thinking about compensatory draft picks is fooling themselves I fear.

The damage is done. Hell the league probably knows they have no case but by

1st. Announcing the fine just before the FA and then saying at least 18 million needed to be cut THIS YEAR they made certain our FA plans this year were hurt badly.

2nd even if we win the quality FA players are gone right now so it was a win win for people that wanted to hurt the skins.

I have a couple of ideas. The least offensive one includes shoving it up John Mara's *** one penny at a time.

He should also be made to sing showtunes the whole time. Not doing so would go against the "spirit" of the moment...

Not 100% locked down but word is we'll take a settlement of just getting the 18 mil of space back next year as the damage is already done this year.

If Bruce Allen believes there was no wrongdoing in the actions of the FO, isn't anything less than the full $36M just an insult? I mean, 2012 cap space may serve no real purpose at this point, but it seems like it would be more principal than anything.

Or is it just cutting losses and moving forward?

Not 100% locked down but word is we'll take a settlement of just getting the 18 mil of space back next year as the damage is already done this year.

I hope you're right. Pat Kirwan (afternoon blitz, Siruis/XM radio) has also expressed his opinion saying that there will likely be a settlement of sorts and that neither side will be totally happy with the outcome. He also believes the Redskins did nothing wrong and that the league looks foolish after approving all of the contracts in question, then issuing penalties against the same teams. I respect Kirwan's opinion in that he is a former GM who knows what he's talking about.

If Bruce Allen believes there was no wrongdoing in the actions of the FO, isn't anything less than the full $36M just an insult? I mean, 2012 cap space may serve no real purpose at this point, but it seems like it would be more principal than anything.

Or is it just cutting losses and moving forward?

I think they would want to just cut their losses. They already addressed their FA needs this year, and who else is out there that you need all of that cap room for? After the draft, we will likely use the remaining cap to supplement the roster. We could also create more space by cutting or restructuring a few players. Therefore its no use in dragging this out in the courts to get the money back for this season as long as we're set for next offseason.

I think they would want to just cut their losses. They already addressed their FA needs this year, and who else is out there that you need all of that cap room for? After the draft, we will likely use the remaining cap to supplement the roster. We could also create more space by cutting or restructuring a few players. Therefore its no use in dragging this out in the courts to get the money back for this season as long as we're set for next offseason.

That makes sense, I guess I just don't like it. It would be nice to get the $18M back for this year to carry over to 2013, but it doesn't sound likely to happen anyway.

Oh well. I suppose getting mugged and then getting half your money back would be a win for most people.

If the money is given back I expect contracts, like London/Morgans will be altered so the hit doesn't come down the road. The 5 year, voidable after 2 year deals. Now that most FA's have been signed, just front load. If they give us grief about front loading this year, we can just roll it over next year and restructure accordingly.

Yes the damage is done this year, but that doesn't mean FA doesn't happen next year, even if the class isn't as big.as this year. We won't be the by all the big names again next year and targeting 3-4 solid contributors instead of 1-2 will make a difference. There are a bunch of pieces like Morgan, Merriweather, Jackson... that have had injuries or bown play that could turn out well, but Garcon is the one healthy guy we signed this offseason that should be much less of a question mark (we did resign needed peices). Last year is was Cofield, Bowen, Chester and Atogwe. Clearly not all parts worked as we hoped, but other then Atogew, these were guys that few here saw us signing. Having the money and spending it wisely is still very possibile.

As a pessimist, I think it is doubtful that we will get everything we want back.....though as others have mentioned, if the league approved the contracts, and it was an uncapped season (just what does uncapped mean anyhow) then I do not see how this arbitrator could not rule completely in our favor.

Whatever happens, I would love to see Mara get relieved of his duties for this committee he heads. If we did not perform in the "spirit" of the uncapped season, then certainly the league and this committee also did not act in the "spirit" of good sportsmanship and competitive balance by waiting until the 11th hour to inform us of this "non-penalty".

Nice, doesn't help this season but would be nice to get our money back for next season!

Might give us some flexibility with June 1st cuts. Otherwise it should set us up well for next offseason.

At this point, I'm just hoping for a reduction in the hit and getting the $18 MM back for '13. Although the league was wrong, it makes sense to work with them. The league comes out of it thinking they levied some punishment, and we come out of it ok in '12 with some good cap space heading into the '13 offseason.

Archived