Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Hearing coming in May on Redskins, Cowboys cap grievance

authentic

What I want to know is why in the hell it takes 60 days to get before the arbirtrator? Feels like the fix is already in.

Legal proceedings take a lot of time, so I'm not really surprised. I've also heard it has to do with some sort of disagreement between the NFLPA and the Redskins, but that was a rumor last I heard. And of course, there's the ever present theory that the NFL is stalling for time, and it might have some merit to it. And of course we might be negotiating something outside of arbitration, so that could have been the hold up as well.

If it is May 10th as Breer reported, that's actually not too bad. I know the NFL and our FO don't want this fight to influence the draft, so it coming only 2 weeks afterwards is reasonably fast all things considered.

Great news!!!! Above all I want to see Mara get proven wrong, and have an appology made to the redskins organization. Having more money for next year cant hurt either!!

I'd like to see Mara apologize, with the scene where Randy Marsh apologizes to Jesse Jackson played out with Randy being Mara and Jackson being Snyder, Allen, and Shanahan. I'd post the link to the clip from South Park I'm referencing, but I'm not sure it's ok. Inquiring minds can google "Jesse Jackson apologize south park," and it should be the first link.

What I want to know is why in the hell it takes 60 days to get before the arbirtrator? Feels like the fix is already in.

So basically when he rules in our favor (which he will) there will be nothing for us to do for this season. Mission accomplished by Comrade Mara anyway you slice it. He has succeeded in his attempt to at least slow Washington's progress.

You know that how? How do you know what the original FA plan was? How do you know we didn't have to switch to Plan B or Plan C because of the huge salary cap hit?

No, it would be incumbent upon you to answer these questions and prove your answers. So do you know for a FACT that we did anything significantly different as far as the people we signed?

While I'm sure we'll prevail in the hearing, I'm still super impressed that the cap was in such great shape that being robbed of $18,000,000 didn't cripple our team through having to make a ton of cuts or prevent the 'Skins from getting some beacoup talent added via Free Agency.

+1 'Skin Front Office.

Great news!!!! Above all I want to see Mara get proven wrong, and have an appology made to the redskins organization. Having more money for next year cant hurt either!!

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 11:30 AM ----------

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/20/league-requests-dismissal-of-cowboys-redskins-grievance/

It looks like May 10th we will get a decision. And it also appears that the league may be scared they might lose.

LOL I'm sure they would like a dismissal... I'd want a dismissal too if I knew I was guilty.

As I understand things (please correct me if I am wrong), the Players Association did not agree to this. Smith did, and he did so without consulting with player reps. it was seen by most as an attempt for him to save face and keep his job by preventing the salary cap from appearing to go down. In truth though, the concessions he "won" are merely an advance on future years' earnings. In fact he actually gave away future money.

situation before deal: (redskin's money + cowboy's money + rest of league salary cap) * whatever portion of the money is spent in year with no salary floor = total spent on players this year

next year: money spent is cap

situation now: ((redskins money - 36 mil) + (cowboy's - $10 mil) + this years cap + $46 mil from penalties + some money advanced from next year)) * whatever portion is spent in a year with no salary floor.

next year it is cap - money earmarked for possibility to take a year early whether it was spent or not.

As has been pointed out many times, the reason the league is angry with the Skins and Cowboys was because they positioned themselves to be able to SPEND MORE MONEY on players. After the deal Smith made, the owners got to move more salary cap space from next year where they have to spend at least the floor into this year where they don't have to spend it.

Individual teams are angry because the Redskins and Cowboys inflated the cost to tag certain players making some positions earn more money relative to the cap space than the teams had allocated to save their star players. To my mind, all this means is the Skins and Cowboys changed how the league as a whole has to value certain positions by making the DT, CB and WR take up a bigger peace of the salary cap pie. If teams don't agree with the market set by the Skins and Cowboys, they can certainly spend their money on other positions. Heck, I think a case could be made based on the record of these two teams, that a successful team should not copy the model we have been using. it certainly hasn't worked for us thus far.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/20/league-requests-dismissal-of-cowboys-redskins-grievance/

League requests dismissal of Skins/Boys Greivance

Words words words, NFL trying to get off on a loophole, words words words.

Not shocked by the move, they know they'll have to give the cap space back at this point.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL has tried to block the hearing by submitting a request to dismiss the grievance.

The NFL contends that, because the NFL Players Association consented to the imposition of cap penalties, the Cowboys and Redskins have no grounds to attack the agreement under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which governs the relationship between the league and the players.

interesting. well, because the NFL consented to the contracts a year ago, we want our cap space back.

No, it would be incumbent upon you to answer these questions and prove your answers. So do you know for a FACT that we did anything significantly different as far as the people we signed?

Nice terse response. The problem is that none of us know exactly how our free agency plans changed. At some point in time, we will probably find out. Right now we don't know. I have no clue. So I'm not going to answer the question and make assumption and pull stuff out of my hind end like you did.

As I've said before, antitrust laws are no joke. An antitrust violation is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. The NFL doesn't want a court battle. The potential gain is simply not worth the cost - for so many reasons.

TK said the Skins would accept a settlement of a restoration of our $18 million of cap space next year. That is more than fair, and the NFL's lawyers will definitely take it rather than going to court.

So, even if all else fails, we'll still get the $18 million next year. There's a really good chance the Arbitrator gives us the same or more than that.

Stop getting excited. There is no way in hell we get any cap space or money or draft picks or BJs or anything. It sucks but its the truth, we got screwed

How do you know that with suck certainty? (Not a sarcastic question, I'm wondering if people on the inside have said this or something.)

I agree. It will be too easy to settle this with both the Redskins and Cowboys "forfeiting" their 2012 losses and recouping their salary cap amounts for the following year. That way they are punished and the case is settled. Look for that to happen in my opinion.

While I'm sure we'll prevail in the hearing, I'm still super impressed that the cap was in such great shape that being robbed of $18,000,000 didn't cripple our team through having to make a ton of cuts or prevent the 'Skins from getting some beacoup talent added via Free Agency.

+1 'Skin Front Office.

Yeah imagine if it was still the Vinny Snyderatto fantasy football team? They'd really have to do a ****load of restructures to get out of this.

I agree. It will be too easy to settle this with both the Redskins and Cowboys "forfeiting" their 2012 losses and recouping their salary cap amounts for the following year. That way they are punished and the case is settled. Look for that to happen in my opinion.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. With the personalities involved, Jones and Snyder may feel that anything less than a full loaf is unacceptable. .

Archived