Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why Daniel Snyder should sue the hell out of Roger Goodell and the NFL

themurf

The NFL's Statement wrote:

The Management Council Executive Committee determined that the contract practices of a small number of clubs during the 2010 league year created an unacceptable risk to future competitive balance, particularly in light of the relatively modest salary cap growth projected for the new agreement's early years. To remedy these effects and preserve competitive balance throughout the league, the parties to the CBA agreed to adjustments to team salary for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. These agreed-upon adjustments were structured in a manner that will not affect the salary cap or player spending on a league-wide basis.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2012/3/12/2865812/nfl-releases-statement-on-redskins-and-cowboys-punishment

Pretty much closes the case. It's in the CBA therefore, Snyder has no grounds for a lawsuit.

"we think that something that was done in the past could affect the future, so we're going to arbitrarily punish a few teams while rewarding others without any rules or guidelines for doing so."

that doesn't seem like a closed case to me.

There's nothing in the CBA about this. And it wouldn't matter, because we're being punished for something we did under the old CBA, and which was within the rules therein.

The owners that voted for this all get extra cap room because of it. And they basically paid off the union, by agreeing to up the cap figure as part of the agreement. I'm not sure how legit any decision is when all the parties who decide it stand to personally proifit form it.

Take them to court. I'd also pull out of revenue sharing and sue to remove the salary cap once and for all. Have pure free agency like baseball with no salary cap. We'd get rid of the Tampa Bays, Cincinnatis, Arizonas, etc.. Peyton, you may want to cross out Arizona from your list of teams.

I don't get it. Doesn't the league approve contracts?

Apparently Roger Goddell was under the impression that the Redskins and football fans and analyst would all get that flashy thing that they have in Men in Black.

"Of course there's no collusion. You were at home watching Independence Day that night!"

I believe the next owners meeting is in a few weeks. I'd LOVE to see both Dan & Jerruh walk in there & inform them they just made up their own rule that says the two them are no longer participating in revenue sharing.

You'd see teams start to fold up shop & go under before the season was halfway through.

AMEN TK!

This whole thing STINKS to high heaven. It is very interesting that the Giants owner was the head of the committee that decided this, and that the other teams (such as the Bears) who structured similar contracts are not being punished.

The Management Council Executive Committee determined that the contract practices of a small number of clubs during the 2010 league year created an unacceptable risk to future competitive balance, particularly in light of the relatively modest salary cap growth projected for the new agreement's early years. To remedy these effects and preserve competitive balance throughout the league, the parties to the CBA agreed to adjustments to team salary for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. These agreed-upon adjustments were structured in a manner that will not affect the salary cap or player spending on a league-wide basis.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2012/3/12/2865812/nfl-releases-statement-on-redskins-and-cowboys-punishment

Pretty much closes the case. It's in the CBA therefore, Snyder has no grounds for a lawsuit.

Not if they were forced to, which it sounds like they were. Throw in the collusion with the other owners and the fact that the league had to approve the contract changes at the time. Oh, there are grounds.

Just when I was excited about the Redskins prospects again, this ****. I'll be a Redskins fan forever, but part of that is being an NFL fan, and I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with this nonsense. **** Goodell, Mara and the NFLPA, who were strong armed into agreeing with this bull****.

It does not state that it is in the CBA, It just states that the parties involved in negotiating the CBA, agreed on this. Dont assume too much. This is nothing more than an "After the fact" solution to the 'Skins beating their system.

I particularly liked this part:

Also, as Andrew Brandt points out, “All NFL contracts are approved by the NFL Management Council. Curious that there is now punishment for these contracts.”

If the league had a problem with the restructuring of these two deals, then why not handle the situation when it happened rather than waiting a year and dropping a bombshell 24 hours before the start of free agency? That’s nothing but evil and vindictive. That’s expected behavior from a scorned ex-girlfriend. Not the commissioner of a billion-dollar business.

Ain't it the truth? The league had a chance to not approve of the contracts a year ago. This is exactly like high school romantic hi-jinx. 'Oh I'm going to dump you the night before the prom because you looked at so-and-so like you liked her...last year'.

Not enough facepalm smilies in the world...

FROM TK's twitter feed

MANAGER BRUCE ALLEN REGARDING MEDIA REPORTS OF SALARY CAP ADJUSTMENTS: “The Washington Redskins have received no written documentation from the NFL concerning adjustments to the team salary cap in 2012 as reported in various media outlets. Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods complied with the 2010 and 2011 collective bargaining agreements and, in fact, were approved by the NFL commissioner’s office. We look forward to free agency the the draft and the coming football season.”

Good article, and great comment by TK.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to watch 2-3 teams close shop because of their BS collusion, followed by the rest of the NFL realizing how absolutely dumb they were. That would be karma at its finest.

"You want that extra 1.6 million in cap room? You can keep it. We will, however, be taking the rest. *Dan and Jerry walk away from table* We look forward to seeing you once again circa 2030, after the next round of expansions by the NFL. Oh, and Mr. Goodell and Mr. Mara, be sure to check your mail. The summons should be arriving any day now."

What are the odds that if this gets intense it's turned into a movie circa 2020?

Very interesting comments by Bruce Allen and Jerry Jones (or their offices or reps or whoever). Sounds like the league was either not prepared to issue these punishments and that it got reported early, or the two of them are just ignoring the supposed punishment, and gearing up to go as hard as they planned in FA.

I actually wanted to see Dan & Jerry pull out of this downward spiraling Mara/Goodell jerkfest (if all this were true) and start another league just to **** these guys.

(It was obviously a heated thought)

And ****ing way to go, murf! On top of it and right out front with the no-holds-barred opinion.

I actually wanted to see Dan & Jerry pull out of this downward spiraling Mara/Goodell jerkfest (if all this were true) and start another league just to **** these guys.

(It was obviously a heated thought)

And ****ing way to go, murf! On top of it and right out front with the no-holds-barred opinion.

That's the perfect Solution.

I'd let Mark Cuban own the New York franchise that will actually be in NYC.

I want people to understand the enormity of this...

We're rooting for JERRY JONES and the DALLAS COWBOYS...

More than that we're cheering on Dan Snyder, posting up positive meme pictures of him, and actually rallying BEHIND him with pitch forks rather than rallying to go at him with them.

This is how horrible the League has screwed over these teams and fan bases and how angry they've made them.

I'd love to see ES even reach out to the most popular Cowboy message board and attempt to orchestrate a twitter/facebook bomb on any NFL page to just deluge them with hate mail.

This is ridiculous. It is essentially strong armed intimidation to punish individuals for not taking part in an illegal activity in regards to collusion.

Utter and complete bull. There's really no cleaner, better way to put it than that.

Snyder and Jones doublehandedly ended the lockout with agreeing to give moneys back to the smaller market teams and THIS is how they were repayed! What a SHOW!

Not to mention how many of this ingrates are supported by revenue brought in by the Redskins and Cowboys!

Archived