Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why Daniel Snyder should sue the hell out of Roger Goodell and the NFL

themurf

****. This. ****.

Dan should sign free agents left and right until we're right up against the rightful cap, then mail a box full of the jerseys of all of those new Redskins to Goodell and those other 28 owners with a note that says, "See you in court."

Ugh, I feel like today would have been even better if the 28 other teams hadn't decided to screw us.

Winston would probably be signed. Wright would probably be here too. Fletcher would at least be close in talks, and Royal would be finalized. It amazes me, because we'd have had 34 mil in space, which would still be 25 mil, since the cap hits for our three signings today comes to only a paltry 9 million. Imagine what we could do with 18 million (after setting aside 7 mil for rookies). Now...

Snyder and Allen need to fight, but I haven't heard a peep out of them all day on this story. Did the NFL ever actually send them official documentation? Because it'd be really sleazy for the NFL to act as though the sanctions are in place but to never send official documentation, or verbal commands, to the Redskins.

Good call NFL on STEALING money from the Redskins and giving it to teams who didn't sign a single ****ing player all day today. I'm sure the players really do appreciate it. On top of the Skins not being able to sign as many players, guys like Royal and Fletcher won't get paid quite as much as they may have because of this idiotic move.

Has everyone seen this Pro Football Talk Live segment?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/the-cowboysredskins-salary-cap-mess-from-square-one/

It should be mandatory reading for everyone on the board. Basically it shows how Goodell is running this league like the mafia. We refuse to COLLUDE with the other teams and do what Don Goodell tells us and we get kneecapped for it.

We have to sue over this. Roger and the other 30 teams COLLUDE to make the uncapped year null and void and the Skins get kneecapped and the cowboys get ***** slapped for not going along with the scheme. One of the many great points by Florio is how was it competitive balance for the bottom feeders to basically stuff money in their mattresses in 2010? No cap ceiling means no cap floor. The Cheifs spend 84 million, the Bucs spend 80 million...less than half of what Jerrah and Danny shell out and we get PUNISHED FOR THIS!?!?!?!?!?!?! GOD FORBID WE WANT TO PAY FOR A QUALITY TEAM!!!!

The fact that the NFLPA went along with this shows how rotten the league has become. In order to save his job DeMaurice Smith lets Pope Roger reign down vengeance on the two owners who dare defy his COLLUSION with the other owners who don't want to spend money. Great plan NFL...punish two of your richest franchises that use every drop of their salary cap to PAY PLAYERS!!!!

If I'm a player I would petition the NFLPA to fire DeMaurice for this. Why have a union if they're going to bow down to management and punish the best paying franchises for paying them more in an UNCAPPED YEAR. Wasn't the whole point of using the threat of an uncapped year to push cheap owners toward a new collective bargaining agreement? So Roger and the NFLPA hit us for 36 million, Cows for 5 million and give it to teams to won't use it as salary but rather to line their pockets. The Bengals are a great example, they are $50 million UNDER THE CAP. Do you think the money Roger took from us will be spent by them? The NFLPA agreed to fine the teams doing everything they can to pay players as much as possible and give it to teams that will deposit that money right into their bank account rather than turn it into salary.

I'm disgusted.

Julius Peppers contract was loaded to the gills in 2010. $36 mil' date=' but no mention of that. Matt Schaub's was another that was obviously intended to pay out in 2010.[/quote']

It's because they are trying to trick people as well. Oh but Peppers contract wasnt technically dumping any money. Rubbish, they used the uncapped year to "gain a competitive advantage" that they wouldn't have been able to do in an capped year. If that's the way they want to label it, dumping money wasn't the only way to abuse the cap that year for a competitive advantage.

The NFLPA screwed the team who spends most for their members services. We should sue them also. But I think Snyder only has the balls to sue old woman. He is to much of a coward to stand up to the NFL as he is part of it

Where is al Davis when you need him

It's because they are trying to trick people as well. Oh but Peppers contract wasnt technically dumping any money. Rubbish, they used the uncapped year to "gain a competitive advantage" that they wouldn't have been able to do in an capped year. If that's the way they want to label it, dumping money wasn't the only way to abuse the cap that year for a competitive advantage.

Add in the fact that the Bears have traded for Marshall and have been very aggressive in free agency so far bringing players in.

The main point to all of this is that the rules that govern salary caps and contract structures aren't vague and undefined. The league can do basically whatever it wants when it comes to suspending or fining players for their play, going after teams for cheating, or what players do off the field. The players, and coaches gave the league the right to do those things when they signed the CBA.

The league doesn't have an anti-trust exemption and they can't do anything, ANYTHING, regarding salaries, caps, or contract structures that isn't allowed through collective bargaining. Doing anything outside of what the CBA allows, like telling owners to not spend too much or restructure in a certain way during the uncapped year, would constitute a violation of federal anti-trust laws.

I certainly admit that there should have been language in the CBA to prevent salary dumping during the uncapped year, but remember the whole point of the uncapped year was to make it an unattractive outcome for owners to get them to the bargaining table. The end result is that unless the NFLPA signed off on teams not using the uncapped year as a salary dump, it would constitute a violation of anti-trust law and that is why there has been all this talk about collusion.

The league is arguing that this is about fairness, and I certainly understand their point. Unfortunately the fairness that the league enjoys is governed through... collective bargaining. Everyone, the owners, players, coaches, sign off on the rules that govern fairness. Without a collective bargaining agreement, the league would be a free market like every other industry in the country. If the Redskins and Cowboys didn't violate any of the rules of fairness listed in the CBA, then the league can't just make up new rules that it wishes it had included.

And the funny thing is of the teams where players have suspiciously high salaries, the Bears and Texans with Peppers and Schaub aren't the only ones.

Green Bay paid Greg Jennings and Ryan Pickett. SF paid Crabtree. Detroit paid Kyle Vanden Bosch. All three of those teams made the playoffs in 2011, and GB even won the SB in 2010. So these teams, who paid big money in the uncapped year and are now winning big aren't messing up competitive balance, but the Skins and Boys are?

And the Eagles did the same thing with Jason Peters. How capable are they of cleaning up FA last year if they don't move that money in 2010?

And then of course there's the issue of teams who spent below the floor. Considering how money can be carried over, wouldn't that indicate an attempt to change competitive balance?

The point is, even if ours and the Cowboy's contracts are different, so what? If them saying the contracts are different proves anything, it proves that the NFL's decision was even more petty, vindictive, and arbitrary than we thought.

Put on your best suit, head to the courthouse and look Goodell straight in the eyes while saying, “No one is going to bully anyone around here except me.

Thanks for another very interesting thread, and Bill Polian is on the same page http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/03/13/pierre.garcon.redskins.ap/index.html?xid=si_nfl

""If you know a good antitrust lawyer, I would call one," Polian said. "That looks where that's going. The lawyers are going to get wealthy here."

I think right now the Redskins are going to work within the "limit" without actually recognizing it exists.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until after the draft for several reasons:

1: They want the case to dominate the headlines because they know they will almost certainly win.

2: They don't want the NFL to do something, like, say, take RGIII from us, which would force our hand before we're ready.

At that point, we'll do something, like maybe restructure the guys we sign, going over the NFL's fake cap, and whatever they do from that point on, we can challenge.

Basically, I think the plan is to stay quiet until they can force the NFL to back it up IN WRITING, and the minute they do, it's over.

New article released by Florio saying that the Redskins and Cowboys may not sue

The Cowboys and Redskins are faced with the combined loss of $46 million in salary cap space over the next two years for treating the term “uncapped year” too literally two years ago. And their fans want to know if the teams will be fighting the NFL on this point.

The answer is, “Maybe.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/cowboys-redskins-exploring-all-options/

I think right now the Redskins are going to work within the "limit" without actually recognizing it exists.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until after the draft for several reasons:

1: They want the case to dominate the headlines because they know they will almost certainly win.

2: They don't want the NFL to do something, like, say, take RGIII from us, which would force our hand before we're ready.

At that point, we'll do something, like maybe restructure the guys we sign, going over the NFL's fake cap, and whatever they do from that point on, we can challenge.

Basically, I think the plan is to stay quiet until they can force the NFL to back it up IN WRITING, and the minute they do, it's over.

I agree 100%, Imperium.

I believe we should keep quiet, till AFTER the draft. Mara is just waiting to strip RG3 from us.

Let it all ride, tillRG3 is holding up a Jersey & signed, then go after the NFL like nobody's business.

I mean...we aren't going to have 1st rd picks for 13' & 14' anyways, so they can't strip those anyways....

But we need to keep our cool, till AFTER the draft & after RG3 is QB of the Washington Redskins.

After that...game on!

If the NFL is keen to enforce a fluid and Interpretive concept like "fairness" rather than actual written rules and bye laws then I feel all the other teams should be penalised as it was unfair they didn't have to operate with the disadvantage of Vinny cerrato for several years,

Archived