Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why Daniel Snyder should sue the hell out of Roger Goodell and the NFL

themurf

10 other teams engaged in this practice:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/thehoofbite/Untitled1-1.jpg

(This was posted at CZ -- who are just as pissed as we are...)

not just that but teams like the bucs who eeked out an $80 million cap or the chargers who were bottom on the cap list and didn't pay guys like mcneil and VJax. this is why the nfl didn't do this back then, the NFLPA would have shut down negotiations over an imaginary cap ceiling and no floor, but now they're using it as leverage and saying either the players lose $200mil out of the cap pool or you screw over the redskins/cowboys. the NFLPA chose to screw us over.

They should have filed for a temporary restraining order already. I don't know what they are waiting for.

I agree; I'm a bit surprised that neither owner (Snyder or Jones) has done this. I suppose it could be gamesmanship since the NFL waited until the day before free agency to do this...maybe they're waiting until just before free agency is about to start in order to get their restraining order. I suppose if that was to happen and the restraining order in fact postphoned free agency (even though IMO I think it's more likely that they lift the restriction until they settle the lawsuit), any deals that were signed in the interim would be null and void. I'm sure that other owners wouldn't be very happy at that.

I say we push it all into next year and then we have a year to fight it out in court. There is no way we lose this in court. This is completely illegal, discrimination, selective punishment, collusion, and an anti-trust violation.

Any lawyers specializing in contract law in the house?

I'm not a lawyer, but to my eyes, it seems that Snyder and Jones have a case on at least one front: penalized without violating a rule. Seems the hurdle, of course, is that to be members of the League, they'd have to submit to the will of the majority of owners, who, it seems, have caught "fleece the rich" fever. The league won't be able to function if there were no revenue-sharing and at least nominal agreement to abide by rulings of the NFL. Pick the right judge, and this could dismantle the whole thing, parity be damned. I want to see Jones and Snyder take this to court. It will drag out for years, and won't, unfortunately, save our cap this season. But eventually, we have a good shot at winning the case, as no actual rule was violated, just a 'gentlemen's agreement' or whatever.

As an aside, if this were mara and the dude who owns the Patriots getting caught like this, do you think the penalties levied would be as harsh?

Basically, the NFL has us by the balls.

We can sue 'em all we want - it'll be a pretty uneventful FA period - agents and players will NEVER sign with us, when they know the league (who we are suing) will just void the contracts, either now or later.

The only way to handle this is play by the rules and deal with it later in the season. Going "nuclear" right now isn't going to help us one bit, in fact it'll make things even worse.

That's probably why you aren't seeing the team go medivial today.

I'm not sure they couldn't save our cap for this year. They would probably defer the potential penalty until the lawsuit would be settled. So if it took a year and the law sided with Goodell then the Skins would be able to spread out the penalty over 2013-14.

Given that they have to submitt to the will of the majority of owners, I suspect that a court could overturn that fairly easily. If the will of the majority of the owners is immoral or illegal and the Redskins/Cowboys are on the side of justice, that might be another story.

Basically, the NFL has us by the balls.

We can sue 'em all we want - it'll be a pretty uneventful FA period - agents and players will NEVER sign with us, when they know the league (who we are suing) will just void the contracts, either now or later.

The only way to handle this is play by the rules and deal with it later in the season. Going "nuclear" right now isn't going to help us one bit, in fact it'll make things even worse.

That's probably why you aren't seeing the team go medivial today.

the bucs leveraged the same situation we did to free up money for this year so they could be big spenders and instead of being penalized for blatently underpaying players they are rewarded with $1.6 million of was/dal money.

this is a fraud and if they sign someone like VJax that we would have been in competition for before these imaginary sanctions then that is fixing the market.

punish all or punish none.

I say the season ticket holders of the cowboys and Redskins sue Goodell and the NFL. That would put the fear into the nfl. They do not want anything resembling a antitrust suit. We have a solid case as the league approved the contracts

If I understand all this correctly the NFL decided that 24 hours before free agency started to go in and **** with all of our plans in the "interest of competitive balance."

Yes, because messing up weeks worth of work right before it was gonna be put into place totally fixes our loss of competitive balance within the league.

the bucs leveraged the same situation we did to free up money for this year so they could be big spenders and instead of being penalized for blatently underpaying players they are rewarded with $1.6 million of was/dal money.

this is a fraud and if they sign someone like VJax that we would have been in competition for before these imaginary sanctions then that is fixing the market.

punish all or punish none.

Irrelevant to the discussion.

People here are shocked - SHOCKED - that the Redskins crack City Paper suing legal team hasn't "released the hounds" this morning.

That would not be a wise move. Today is the first day of free agency. If the Redskins unleash their lawyers this morning, we will successfully sign ZERO players.

Why doesn't anybody here understand that?

That would not be a wise move. Today is the first day of free agency. If the Redskins unleash their lawyers this morning, we will successfully sign ZERO players.

A temporary restraining order would halt the league's $36 million penalty

. If the Redskins unleash their lawyers this morning, we will successfully sign ZERO players.

Who cares we cant sign much anyway. Its the principle. 2 other teams did this but they are punished

Irrelevant to the discussion.

People here are shocked - SHOCKED - that the Redskins crack City Paper suing legal team hasn't "released the hounds" this morning.

if they play along and lose out on the guys they wanted, suing later isn't going to get them back. the wise move is to try to stop free agency until the NFL releases an official statement/explanation, right now it's all backroom politics by competing owners led by a division rival.

but we should just let it slide and waste all the time that went into planning this team over the past few years.

child please.

A TRO would actually stop free agency, not the penalty. The issue would have to be resolved before free agency started.

so be it. it wasn't really a problem last year. if 26 teams are going to steal our money, they can find out if its legal or not.

if they play along and lose out on the guys they wanted, suing later isn't going to get them back. the wise move is to try to stop free agency until the NFL releases an official statement/explanation, right now it's all backroom politics by competing owners led by a division rival.

but we should just let it slide and waste all the time that went into planning this team over the past few years.

child please.

Exactly. I wish I had enough money to sweep $36 million under the rug as Levi is basically suggesting. I hope if they do take action that it DOES halt FA and ****s up the NFL calendar.

A TRO would actually stop free agency, not the penalty. The issue would have to be resolved before free agency started.

No it wouldn't. Snyder and Jones could ask for a TRO for just the penalty issued to them. If granted, it would simply return their cap space. I agree that may have a domino effect on other issues like the total cap number but that will be something the league will have to deal with. None of it should stop free agency unless Goodell plays King again and stops it.

When you think you are a God, you do stupid things, things you don't think through, because why should you, you are God.

Goodell has run into that problem. It has been slowly building to this point, the point of crossing a line that will end up being the end of him. I cannot believe the league office would want to open a can of worms like this. The precedence this sets will essentially screw them over for all future CBA negotiations, it opens the possibility of federal government involvement in what had been a self governed organization, and a multitude of other legal problems.

The basic problem they face is, they are trying to punish someone for not doing anything wrong.

In no country or organization in the world is it ever pereceived by anyone to be fair and just to punish someone for not breaking a rule. The only way the league is trying to get away with this is to do it the day before free agency, to threaten the Redskins and Cowboys season so that they cant sue.......for now.

Not well thought through by Roger God....ell.

Archived