Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

ES admin closed the "Official Movie Trailer Thread," so I don't know where else to put this.

I just watched the trailer for a new Matthew McConaughey flick called "Interstellar."

I'm a huge Nolan fan so I've had this on my radar for awhile. I can't wait. The cast is fantastic and Nolan always gets great performances out his people anyway.

It's going to be good.

• Like 1

ES admin closed the "Official Movie Trailer Thread," so I don't know where else to put this.

I just watched the trailer for a new Matthew McConaughey flick called "Interstellar."  The trailer doesn't give you much at all, but for some reason it feels awesome.  Then, like an idiot, I IMDB'd the film and read the synopsis.  it sounds ****ing epic.  The type of movie that gives you goosebumps when the credits roll.  I feel "Interstellar" is going to be a game changer, Oscar noms galore.  I honestly can't explain why I'm so hyped for this film, but this is now my #1 movie to see for 2014.

For now, release date is November 2014.  Cast is pretty damn impressive too, Matthew Mac, Jessica Chastain, Anne Hathaway, Michael Cain, John Lithgow, Matt Damon, Casey Affleck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v3WzHXI5HizQ

:o

I'm in. Love me some space flicks.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Lone Survivor and Hobbit 2

I watched Hobbit 2 again last night.  I really love that movie.  I really liked the first one.  I like this one even more.  The barrel scene is the best action sequence I've ever seen.  Closely followed by the Smaug chase in Erebor.  Peter Jackson is an utter genius when it comes to staging and filming action scenes.

When I watched the barrel scene in the theater I was giddy like a little kid.  It was completely overwhelming.

Anchorman 2. Pretty awful. Fist one was funny stupid. 2 is stupid stupid. I laughed here and there. But it seemed like they were drunk when they made it, again, not in a good way.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

My boy Hans Zimmer is doing the score, so I already know its going to be epic.

everything he composes is pure magic

i was at work yesterday listening to the song from the interstellar trailer over and over on youtube. he's so damn good.

there are 4 hour compilations of his best work, perfect for lighting a bong and watching the sun set.

Watched Courage Under Fire.  Really liked that.  Children of Men was solid, but something was missing I'm not sure- good movie though.  Watched District 9 last night, it was cool but a little mundane.

I have the full DirecTv package so have a whole bunch of movies lined up to be recorded.  Have never seen 40 Year Old Virgin, can you believe it?  Also have Zero Dark Thirty in the queue, looking forward to watching that.

My boy Hans Zimmer is doing the score, so I already know its going to be epic.

Just called up his credits on IMDB, and DANG, he's done a lot of music that I thought really made a lot of movies.

He's credited for Lion King? I thought the main credits were to Elton John and Tim Rice, but now I look at IMDB, and I don't see their names listed.

Backdraft. All four Pirates movies. The Dark Knight trilogy.

And a whole bunch of movies I've never seen.

Definitely gotta put the guy on my list.

• Like 1

To put you in the mood for the upcoming NFL Draft, you may want to check out "Draft Day".   It's was alright.  Of course for the poor Clevelanders; what happens in the movies can't happen in real ife. I just came from seeing that tonight and I liked it.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Thor: the Dark Whatchamacallit. Holy crap, it sucked. Bloody awful, just tripe.

i want my damn 6 bucks back.

~Ugh

I felt the same way. Terrible. A strong villain, in terms of writing and performance, is needed have to carry that type of movie and they settled for a two dimensional generic bad guy.

Dallas Buyers Club - Great performances from the leader actors. But not as good a movie as American Hustle or 12 Years a Slave IMO. Direction and staging and cinematography was all competent. But not masterful like in Gravity and American Hustle.

You didn't feel a bit unfulfilled from American Hustle? The acting performances were top notch which was worth it alone but I just felt like I needed more out of it. It never really took off the way I wanted it to. It was very good but not great.

You didn't feel a bit unfulfilled from American Hustle? The acting performances were top notch which was worth it alone but I just felt like I needed more out of it. It never really took off the way I wanted it to. It was very good but not great.

In what way?  That Christian Bale's character just kind of gets away with it?  The mob guys don't kill him?  That Carmine gets sent to jail?

The way it ends with Carmine was tough to swallow.  But the movie couldn't make it alright between him and Irving without being pat.  They had to have it end that way.

I probably wouldn't change anything about the movie.  Maybe tone Bradley Cooper's character down a bit, but as the villain of the film, he gets some leeway to be melodramatic.

Or are you saying you wanted more of a caper/heist focused movie?

I'm actually glad that it didn't get too plotty and twisty.  It was a character driven movie, you have to keep the focus on Christian Bale and the two women of his life.  And I almost always prefer when movies like it tend towards realism and authenticity over stylization and tall tale telling.  I really liked the film's scope.  Christian Bale really shines for David O. Russell's movies.

I quite liked Thor2.

To me, the movie isn't about the villain. It's about Thor and Loki.

I think they tried to make it about something, but the direction was so bad it became nothing but a clunky, ill-fitted and poorly constructed piece. No flow. The villain was just sort of there. The fact he defeated and held ASGARD was handled in what..   5 minutes? He shows up and next thing you know, he's waltzing into the throne room of Odin.(which is undefended, of course.)

Awful. I'm willing to give a LOT of leeway to superhero movies..  but damn, there has to be some substance that appears to fit together somehow.

the only feeling I got out of the movie was embarrassment for Anthony Hopkins. I imagine how he must have felt watching that final cut.

But to each their own, and I can tell you, , I'll likely spend my money on Thor 3, and Thor 4, too.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

In a lot of the comics movies, what really make the movie, for me, are the little things.  Not necessarily the big, major, plot sweeps. 

Thor and HulK have been fighting a gigantic dragon.  They slay the beast, and it's dead carcass, with them aboard, crashes into the side of a skyscraper.  Thor and Hulk are left, in a smashed room, in the skyscraper, panting from the exertion of successfully slaying the dragon. 

Hulk punches Thor. 

The scene lasts about 3 seconds.  But I thought it was great. 

My main issue with Thor 2 is silly, but still...

You take a recognizable (but not household name) actor in Christopher Eccleston, someone with a distinct look, voice, and mannerisms, cast him in the role of the bad guy - then slap on prosthetic and makeup, modulate his voice, and give him limited dialogue. I was a bit miffed at that.

Again, silly, but he was the only Doctor Who in the long line of Doctors that I ever really liked (as well as other films, including some real turkeys) and was looking forward to seeing him in Thor.

I feel kinda similar about Roddy McDowell.  I think he's a terrific actor.  But his voice is really distinctive.  So, every time he speaks, I hear Planet of the Apes. 

And my favorite vocalist is Mandy Patinkin.  You put him in a musical Dick Tracey, as a piano player named 88 keys.  And the only time he sings is a duet with Madonna.