Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

On November 18, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Fergasun said:

Looking on more suggestions for post year 2004 good movies.... Collateral, Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow ... I really enjoy action movies, especially ones that have added themes (not too intereted in the "Taken" series). 

Children of Men is an all-time great.  Apocalypto, too.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2016 at 1:42 PM, Fergasun said:

Looking on more suggestions for post year 2004 good movies.... Collateral, Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow ...  

Collateral was SO good.  

Between Collateral & Ray...2004 was when Foxx became a real actor. IMO

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

Saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them yesterday.

Warning - this is not Harry Potter  (so don't take you little kids) but is related in that it's a prequel to the world of. Solid movie, could have been better but all in all it's a darker (think last 2 HP films) popcorn movie. I'd definitely recommend if you are a Potterfile. 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2016 at 3:42 PM, Fergasun said:

Looking on more suggestions for post year 2004 good movies.... Collateral, Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow ... I really enjoy action movies, especially ones that have added themes (not too intereted in the "Taken" series). 

In no particular order:

13 Assassins.  Subtitled but this movie is an absolute can't miss IMO.
John Wick
Hero
Mad Max Fury Road
Sicario
Fury
Looper
Hot Fuzz
Serenity
Django
Shooter
Red
Zombieland
Departed
End of Watch

• Like 4

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 3:33 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them yesterday.

Warning - this is not Harry Potter  (so don't take you little kids) but is related in that it's a prequel to the world of. Solid movie, could have been better but all in all it's a darker (think last 2 HP films) popcorn movie. I'd definitely recommend if you are a Potterfile. 

Glad to hear that. Think I will be seeing this on Friday. And deathly hallows 1 & 2 were my two favorite potter films. 

19 hours ago, FrFan said:

Excellent zombie movie

Train to Busan: The film had its premiere in the Midnight Screenings section at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. The film set a record as the first Korean film of 2016 to break the audience record with over 10 million theatergoers. Wiki

Alright!  This was probably my favorite movie of the summer.  Loved it!  Better than WWZ.  One thing Koreans do better than Hollywood?  Thrillers.

Watched "Loving" last night.  Joel Edgerton, Ruth Negga (Preacher), Michael Shannon.  About the very first interracial couple to be granted a marriage license, went to the Supreme Court.  Really good movie.  B+.  

qPzM7oK.jpg

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Alright!  This was probably my favorite movie of the summer.  Loved it!  Better than WWZ.  One thing Koreans do better than Hollywood?  Thrillers.

Watched "Loving" last night.  Joel Edgerton, Ruth Negga (Preacher), Michael Shannon.  About the very first interracial couple to be granted a marriage license, went to the Supreme Court.  Really good movie.  B+.  

Thanks for the info, I'll watch it. The movie will be in theatres next February over here.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Where are you located, Fran?

France. I checked my movie theatre update, the movie will come out Feb. 17th 2017. Since then I won't miss a chance to "troll" you in the Covenant thread ;):silly:. I remember another one from one of my favorite directors (Alan Parker) Come See the Paradise.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Image result for house of the devil poster

I had a few more flicks I didn't get to on my Halloween list, so we decided to grab one tonight on Hulu.  Usually when you start digging around the fringe to find some good flicks that you might've overlooked, you get burned fairly often.  Or you get a lot of movies that leave you with...meh.

I've just been luckier this year for some reason.  I went digging and found some gold more often than not.  House of the Devil is a great horror film that relies mostly on atmosphere rather than cheap scares.  There are some convenient tropes here, but most felt necessary and well executed.  Trying to find faults here felt more like nit picking than solid criticism.

The patience shown in the directing here is a thing of beauty.  Allowing shots to linger or scenes to play out, without feeling the pressure to move on to the next thing.  A lot of the film is simply following a girl as she investigates a house where she has been hired to babysit.  It's dark, moody, and just unnerving.  Plenty of 'will you please just turn on some lights and stay in one room!' kinda stuff.  

I highly recommend this film.  It's a crossover piece for me.  I think it would appeal to fans of classic horror and also to ones that only like the contemporary stuff.  A good time indeed.

• Like 3

I saw Allied tonight.  I'm a sucker for spy movies, so when one comes out with Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard, I'm gonna check it out.  Cotillard refuted rumors that her and Pitt were touching each others butts during production, as many people thought this was the reason that Brad and Angelina's ship crashed on the rocks.  But I digress.

Robert Zemeckis has directed such classics as Back to the Future and Forrest Gump.  So the execution here was capable, but the movie never really got off the ground.  There was some cool cat and mouse stuff going early, but I thought the movie kinda fell apart after they left Casablanca and got married.  It almost felt like a scorned lover flick after that, and you could easily replace the 'your wife is a spy' plotline with a 'cheating spouse' one.  

The main issue I had with the plot was that Pitt was given more information than he had to work for.  In the meeting where his superiors tell him they think his wife is a spy, there's a lot of interesting info as to why they think that she is.  It might've worked better if Pitt had figured that stuff out on his own, doing cool spy stuff, instead of having it read to him by an old man in an office.  

I certainly won't say the movie was boring.  I can watch Brad Pitt act in most anything as long as he's not aging in reverse.  The chemistry between the leads just seemed to lack any real punch, and the surrounding elements came off a bit flat.  With Zemeckis at the helm, I had hoped for a better outcome.

Still, there are worse things to see at the movies right now.  I wouldn't go as far as recommending it, but I wouldn't say to avoid it either.  

21 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I liked fantastic beasts. It was pretty much what I thought it would be. The 2 male leads were great. 

I saw Fantastic Beasts over the holiday with the family and enjoyed it a lot. Very good movie, especially if you're a Harry Potter fan an enjoyed the last few movies of that series the best. I'm looking forward to the rest of the movies that will be coming out for this series.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

I saw Fantastic Beasts over the holiday with the family and enjoyed it a lot. Very good movie, especially if you're a Harry Potter fan an enjoyed the last few movies of that series the best. I'm looking forward to the rest of the movies that will be coming out for this series.

Yeah I'm not familiar or even aware if this is an actual book series or just a new series of movies but im interested to see where the story goes in future movies.

I liked the HP references too. I wonder how far in advance of the HP series this is set. Could perhaps a Tom Riddle cross paths as a cameo somewhere? I doubt it but I need to brush up my on my HP.

12 hours ago, youngchew said:

Hell or Hugh Water was really good too

I saw this yesterday. Wasn't moved by it. Thought it was good but not great or special. 

ben foster going loco at the end when he didn't have to really bothered me too.

@Destino

Thanks for the list upthread.  Watched and enjoyed "Fury" and "Hot Fuzz"... but will be checking the rest out. 

For some reason I don't like gangland movies -- will have to force myself to catch "Departed" -- I just saw the Godfather movies last year.

"Suicide Squad" - So imagine if instead of stand alone Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk movies, Marvel just put out The Avengers movie and flashed back and through character development.  Seriously, only middle schoolers were happy with this movie.  Casual viewers like me are wondering why the squad had to be so big... comic book guy is probably upset because they tried to cram too many characters into the movie and a bunch got little background.  

Full discolsure, I am biased in favor of Marvel Cinematic Universe, because leading up to even Civil War the characters were developed and we got some meat.  The DC Cinematic Universe seems like a huge mess to me.  

The movie should have been focussed on Deadshot and Harley Quinn/Joker for the first 40 minutes -- enough compelling backstory existed --and Waller's attempt to put together the Suicide Squad and sell her bosses on it... with the Seal Leader/June Lady story taking over the 2nd act and then a more developed albeit not as many characters squad (surrounded by more specfor) in the 3rd act.  

It gets a C- from me, specifically the pacing, plot, action, antagonist are disjointed garbage.  

Harley Quinn was outstanding -- joker was tough and actor did not do bad, Heath Ledger's joker will not be surpassed.  Joker even needed more development.  Deadshot was meh... I mean, even as an antihero Will Smith just has to be Will Smith. They all lacked depth of character.  

• Like 2