Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

On 12/27/2016 at 8:31 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Nocturnal Animals.

Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal divorce, Jake writes a ****ed up novel and sends it to Amy.  He dedicates the book to her and it freaks her out.  This one jumps around a bit structurally (between reality and the book), but at no point did it feel forced or hard to follow.  I was expecting a less exciting version that would be considered boring by some, but I was wrong.  The intense scenes were in your face.  The acting was top notch.  A really well done noir flick.

I knew Michael Shannon was listed here, but he got a lot more screen time than I thought he would.  And he kills it.  Certainly one of the best working today.

Chew, certainly worth the price of admission.  I feel confident that you would like it. :)

Brother!  That thang was good!  Nothing at all what I expected.   All I remember from the trailer was the "real life" stuff, nothing from the book.

One of the worst ratings on rotten for me this year.   Its in the low 70s, should be around 90%.  Amy and Jakie Pooh were good (duh), and Armie sure knows how to portray an asshole.  But Shannon delivered something fierce ?.  He's so convincing in everything I see him in.  "What do you want me to do to him?"  ?

I saw how the book would play out a mile away, but ultimately it was just a compliment to our real story, albeit a lot slower.  I kinda got the ending, but after reading a few articles it clicked.   I was completely surprised by the final act, which was nice.  Had no idea that was coming  lol.  

http://www.filmcolossus.com/single-post/2016/11/19/Explaining-the-end-of-NOCTURNAL-ANIMALS-why-Edward-didnt-show-up-why-this-is-existential-revenge-and-why-Susan-is-doomed

Great movie, loved it.  A.

@Destino recommended Autopsy of Jane Dough and it sounds really interesting.  Got my sights set on that today hopefully if I have time.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2016 at 10:31 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Nocturnal Animals.

Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal divorce, Jake writes a ****ed up novel and sends it to Amy.  He dedicates the book to her and it freaks her out.  This one jumps around a bit structurally (between reality and the book), but at no point did it feel forced or hard to follow.  I was expecting a less exciting version that would be considered boring by some, but I was wrong.  The intense scenes were in your face.  The acting was top notch.  A really well done noir flick.

I knew Michael Shannon was listed here, but he got a lot more screen time than I thought he would.  And he kills it.  Certainly one of the best working today.

Chew, certainly worth the price of admission.  I feel confident that you would like it. :)

I liked it, didn't love it.  I think because I was expecting the  book to be a backdrop, rather than the huge part of the movie it actually was. That's where all the drama was. The real world stuff wasn't as compelling as I expected.  

The performances were excellent though.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

Space Station 76.

I thought it was pretty good with a couple laugh-out-loud moments. Great music and outstanding retro set design. For a comedy it actually had some dark and sad moments and situations, which surprised me. All of the actors and actresses did well and I enjoyed their performances, even Patrick Wilson's Burgundy-esque role.

Edited by Metalhead

On 12/23/2016 at 5:29 PM, Destino said:

The Autopsy of Jane Doe.

:o. This joint was creeeeeepy!  I really enjoyed it, I was uneasy the entire time watching it. One of my favorite horror movies this year.  Loved Hirsch and Cox.  Jane Dough was gorgeous, even as a corpse lol.  Well let the sun shine in! Thanks for mentioning it, @Destino  B+.

The Girl On the Train- flat out, this was Emily Blunt's best performance of her career.  Too bad the movie was not all that great.  Saw what was coming a mile away.  Phoebe Cates is getting old.  Shoutout to Justin Theroux who is from DC.  this movis was OKAY but Emily crushed it.  C.

• Like 1

All We Had - Well that was depressing.  Katie Holmes is a homeless, drug addict alcoholic, and she and her teen daughter are living out of their car.   They just drive from town to town, trying to survive.  The girl who played Holmes' daughter was the best part of the movie, IMO.  It was okay, nothing special.  C+.  

The Green Room.  RIP Anton :(  Awesome ****ing movie.  Anton was excellent and so was Poots.   Patrick Stewart was good too.  Not at all what I was expecting, loved the graphic violence.  Not sure why but I kinda likes some of the punk rock music they played LOL.  A.

The Girl With All The Gifts - liked this a lot.  No idea what to expect from this one either but reviews were positive so I gave it a whirl.  Didn't know Glen Close was in this, she and Gemma had good performances but the little girl was amazeballs. This movie was like World War Z meets Hit Girl from Kick Ass.  B+.

And the OST from the Girl With The Gifts....wow!  powerful, moving stuff.  Totally set the atmosphere for the film.

Edited by Chew

The Witch - oh man, was this a slow, sloooow burn. But the payoff totally worth it.  Anya Taylor-Joy is the next Jennifer Lawrence.  You can book that ****.  The young lady can act!  Probably my favorite horror movie since the first Conjuring movie.  Eggers comes from the stage world, and it showed in a lot of scenes.  If this is what he puts out for his first ever screenplay, count me in for whatever he does next.  The Witch was creepy as hell.  A.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youngchew said:

The Witch - oh man, was this a slow, sloooow burn. But the payoff totally worth it.  Anya Taylor-Joy is the next Jennifer Lawrence.  You can book that ****.  The young lady can act!  Probably my favorite horror movie since the first Conjuring movie.  Eggers comes from the stage world, and it showed in a lot of scenes.  If this is what he puts out for his first ever screenplay, count me in for whatever he does next.  The Witch was creepy as hell.  A.

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Loved this movie so much, I saw it twice in the theater...that never happens.  10/10!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Loved this movie so much, I saw it twice in the theater...that never happens.  10/10!

Yes!   Man I watched it at 3:30 in the morning in the basement by myself.  Left the light on until I got upstairs for a change ?

That ending ?

• Like 1

Watched Batman Vs Superman again or the weekend. Watched it in theaters and I realized the movie is worse than I remembered. The scene were Amy Adams tells Ben that Martha is Henry's mom was corny as hell. Also, extremely predictable. The creation of Doomsday made no sense, Lex was awful just completely awful. No redeeming qualities in his performance. The flash thing was forced, as well as the introduction of the rest of the JL. 

Also watched The Revenant but I loled at the bear scene. Solid movie tho. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Watched Batman Vs Superman again or the weekend. Watched it in theaters and I realized the movie is worse than I remembered. The scene were Amy Adams tells Ben that Martha is Henry's mom was corny as hell. Also, extremely predictable. The creation of Doomsday made no sense, Lex was awful just completely awful. No redeeming qualities in his performance. The flash thing was forced, as well as the introduction of the rest of the JL. 

Also watched The Revenant but I loled at the bear scene. Solid movie tho. 

Absolutely putrid movie.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Perhaps it was the beverages...The Witch...put me to sleep. 

10 minutes of greatness does not equal a great movie. 

Yep...I was sleeping during the supposed greatness. 

:angry:

It's a slow burn man.  Really slow.  But the build up of tension is perfect and then the ending is just wow.  

The African Doctor - It's an indie French movie about, well, an African doctor.  A new doctor from Zaire moves his family to open a practice in provincial France, many of the townfolk have never seem a black person before.  It's not even listed on rotten LOL, but got really good reviews by indie sites worldwide.  Wife and I enjoyed it a lot.  Nothing particularly special about it but just an overall feelgood movie with some good drama and LOL moments.  B-.

• Like 1

2017 is going to be a TOP 3 year for Hollywood of the 21st century.  Top 3 in both the amount of quality films AND box office numbers. 

Just wanted to be on record as having said it so I can quote myself this time next year with a shades emoji B)

9 minutes ago, youngchew said:

2017 is going to be a TOP 3 year for Hollywood of the 21st century.  Top 3 in both the amount of quality films AND box office numbers. 

Just wanted to be on record as having said it so I can quote myself this time next year with a shades emoji B)

What's coming out that looks good to you?

• Like 1