Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

13th - A documentary on the prison system and black America.   Wow, I'm speechless.  4/4 Robert Ebert, 97% on Rotten, 4/4 Rolling Stone. Oscar Nomination for Best Documentary.  One of the best documentaries I've seen in years.

America is ****ed up and it's so deep that I'm not sure how things will ever change.  A+.  

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I love Jeff Bridges but he didn't impress me at all in Hell or High Water. That's a name based nomination to me 

Why do you hurt me? :P

I can see where you're coming from.  I just find Bridges to be so effortless that he impresses me.  Also, I can relate to a guy who wraps a sheet around him and disappears on a drunken bender into the plains.  I truly thought Hell or Highwater could've been a classic.  But I thought the combo of Foster/Pine and the directing sucked the life out of it to a degree.  You drop Clint in there directing, with a Hardy/Leo/Pitt/Bale match up leading the way...yeah. 

• Like 2

I saw Split tonight.  I got sucked into the idea that M. Knight was making a comeback, and I hate to say it, but I thought the movie was a major disappointment.  There's nothing learned in the film that isn't shown in the trailer.  No thrills.  No scares.  A really nice performance by James Mcavoy is wasted by M. Knight's tedious direction and over the top storytelling.  

The monster in the film is one of the most ridiculous creations I've seen in a long time.  I almost spit out my drink from laughing.  Is he a guy that has multiple personalities or is he ****ing Spiderman?  

It's not overly boring, so it's not a totally miserable time at the movies.  I guess that counts for something.  

Also, the final shot of this film is absolute trash, and it shows how much M. Knight thinks of himself.  A total joke that had nothing to do with the film, and added nothing at all.  

• Like 3

Fences:o. Holy ****, Denzel gave one of the best performances of his life.  I don't know if it's his best film ever, but I'm not sure he's never acted so much before, if that makes sense.  In most of his movies, even though he one hell of a performer on screen, he's basically always some version of "Denzel."  A charismatic, cool ass black dude with a distinctive voice.  But 'Zel transformed into another man in Fences.  I wish I could have seen the play.  The mkvie felt a lot like a play at times, with some scenes taking place in one room for 15-20 minutes at a time. Monologue after Monologue, Denzel pours his soul into his character Troy Manson.  Very depressing, authentic movie.

On Jimmy Fallon last month, Denzel said himself that Fences "was one of the most magical movies he's ever been a part of."  I concur, it blew my doors off. Oscar Nomination for Best Picture, Best Actor, and best supporting actress.  Denzel and Viola were beautiful together in this. A+.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 3

Jack Reacher 2 - pretty solid.  Not as good as the first, but I have no idea why it's at a 37% on Rotten.  I was entertained the entire time.  I hope I'm in as good a shape at 54 as Tom is.  Cobie Smulders only gets better with age. Dayum she fine.  Decent enough story and good action.  B.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

On 1/23/2017 at 9:46 AM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I saw Elle the other night.  Whew.  That was one fierce flick.  Paul Verhoven (Basic Instinct) brings the thunder in this sexual assault/revenge piece.  It follows the head of a video game company as she tries to hunt down the man who assaulted her.  

I had some problems with the third act.  Even though it went in a different direction, I'm not sure I ever truly bought into it.  It certainly sticks with you long after viewing.  Not sure how woman friendly the film is, it can feel pretty invasive.  My lady was not a big fan, just because of the nature of the violence.

But not enough can be said about the performance of the lead, Isabelle Huppert.  A powerhouse performance.  SImply awesome.  She scooped up the Golden Globe for Best Actress, and I expect her to do the same on Oscar night.   

I'll watch anything my boy @AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy recommends, and man did he come through once again.  

Elle.  What a weird movie.  It kept me guessing wtf was going to happen next.  I agree the third act kinds went off the rails, and my wife was like "welp they just lost me" LOL.  But overall I enjoyed it a bunch.  I've only seen one other movie of Huppert's, but I'm going to make a list tomorrow of some more films of hers to watch.  She was spectacular.  I see why she was nominated for an Oscar.  magnifique!  No idea this was the guy that directed Robocop!!!

One things for sure, I'm glad I don't live in France lol.  What a bunch of ****ed up people LOL.  Jesus.  Literally everybody in that movie had some deep emotional issues.   Quite a few good looking french women in thsi movie, jesus.  Great flick.  A.

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

A Monster Calls - it was cool. Fairy tale meets real life drama, end of the day, it's a cancer movie.  I cry every ****ing time with cancer movies. ****.  I don't feel it's as good as the 86% it's getting on Rotten, but it was solid.  Lewis MacDougall is a fine young actor.  Sigourney Weaver, Felicity Jones, Liam Neeson all supporting.  A bit slow and predictable, but I was entertained.   B-.

• Like 1

The Impossible 

(Seriously, WATCH THIS MOVIE) 

Girlfriend and I didn't know what to do Wednesday night so she went browsing on Netflix. Found this movie, highly rated (4.5 stars) and gave it a shot; Half expecting to be sleep 20 minutes in. Sleeping through this would have been impossible. True story revolving around the Tsunami in Thailand, turned into a full-blown disaster movie. And a good one at that. I dont really have a lot of faith in movies like this. They are never really my thing. But this one was excellent. Watch it. 

The movie  

The impossible.JPG

• Like 3

Manchester By the Sea (again) - quote me on this, I guarantee this film wins Oscar for best picture AND Casey wins for best actor.   Affleck makes it look so effortless, it's like he's just being himself. The nephew was nominated for best supporting...he was good but not Oscar winning good.  Michelle Williams was good too but not on screen enough to win best supporting actress.  Manchester is probably the best 2016 movie I've seen.  Favorite Casey Affleck movie for me.  Coastal Mass looks rewlly nice,makes me want to visit one day. 

This movie was painful to watch, so much suffering.  But damn was it good.  A+

• Like 2

On 2/2/2017 at 10:17 PM, youngchew said:

This movie was painful to watch, so much suffering.  But damn was it good.  A+

I missed Manchester.  They pulled it a couple weeks ago before we got a chance to check it out.  Bummed.

I saw The Founder last night.  Solid flick, but nothing special.  I'm a huge Michael Keaton fan, I love his work.  He's great here, but not enough to elevate the movie for me.  Too much Hollywood whitewash to allow for enough grit to get under the skin.  All scenes were solid.  But man, there's gotta be something more here.  A story with this kinda roots/betrayal/history should hit ya in the feels.  It just never got there.  Harvey Weinstein is becoming a ****. 

I did enjoy the story of McDonalds and the fast food revolution.  Those details were interesting.  Otherwise, a little flat for my tastes. 2.5/4

I will be reviewing several of my favorites over the next couple of months.  February is always throw back month for me.  Also looking forward to John Wick 2 and A Cure for Wellness.  

• Like 2

Passengers - this movie started off how in figured it would,  but I was way off on the third act.  I enjoyed this movie, two of Hollywood's most talented young(er) actors.  Nifty special effects and an interesting enough story, I was entertained.  Physically, J-Law is entering her prime, very Fine specimen.  Pratt and Lawrence had some serious chemistry on screen, but the story could've been a little stronger.  C+

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

Animal Kingdom (2010).  It's an Australian crime flick shaped around a teenage boy and his family full of criminals.  Ben Mendelsohn, Guy Pearce, and Joel Edgerton lead a strong cast, anchored by Jacki Weaver as the matriarch of the family.  She is ruthless.  A dynamite performance.

The movie was directed by David Michod, who also directed The Rover (2014), which I was also a big fan of.  I think most critics would say that Animal Kingdom is the better film, but I enjoyed The Rover a bit more for subjective reasons.  I'm a sucker for dystopian, slightly strange movies.

I would recommend Animal Kingdom, with the understanding that it is a rather bleak story with a strong indie feel.  As it unfolds, our main character finds himself in an impossible situation that is surely to keep you in knots.  The performances are the real star here.  Michod just directed a Brad Pitt flick slated for release later this year.  I think he's a talent worth watching.  3/4.  

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Ben Mendelsohn, Guy Pearce, and Joel Edgerton lead a strong cast, anchored by Jacki Weaver as the matriarch of the family.   

I'll say.  I'm in, have to see if I can find it.

The Lives of Others (2006).  This German film takes places in the early 80s in East Berlin.  A government official assigns a secret police agent to conduct surveillance on a writer and his lover.  As the agent builds his case, he tries to balance his dedication to the state while preserving his own humanity.

This is such a beautiful film.  It won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, and it was much deserved.  Although it's technically a spy/political thriller, this is more of a slow burner.  The cinematography is exquisite.  The characters feel organic.  It reminded me a bit of how I felt after watching Remains of the Day, just in terms of tone.  There were no explosions.  Just a wonderfully crafted story that seems to keep its distance from you until you suddenly realize that it's worked its way into your bones.

A terrific reminder of all of the liberties we take for granted, especially the freedom of ideas and expression. 3.5/4.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The Lives of Others (2006).  

This is such a beautiful film.  

My man!!!  Saw that joint like 5-6 years ago on Netflix DVD I believe.  Loved it. B)

Then you compare it to Remains of the Day, you nailed it.  The Lives of Others flows much the same.  Very somber tone to the entire film.  Obviously a much greater story going on in the background in both movies, but we just see the little slice of it with our main characters and their own situations and how the war is affecting their world.  The Lives of Others probably eeks into my top 10 foreign films of all time at #10.  Excellent movie.

You've been making my day(s) in this thread recently, man.  I kneel before you. :) 

And I still owe you one for Elle.  Creepy ass neighbor dude.  Here, hold this log....courtesy of my loser son.    :chair:

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, youngchew said:

You've been making my day(s) in this thread recently, man.

Cheers brother.  :cheers:

I am renting I Saw the Devil later this week, per your rec.  Excited to check it out.

Also, if you do get to check out Animal Kingdom, you should go ahead and see The Rover if you haven't already.  Guy Pearce is awesome and Robert Pattinson steals the movie.  Pearce hunts down a gang of three criminals who stole his car in a post apocalyptic Australian countryside.  Much like Animal Kingdom, there's plenty of male bravado here.    

I imagine RT knocked it down a few spots because a lot of people hate films that are a bit vague.  I'm more of a atmosphere/tone guy.  If I dig the atmosphere, I'm gonna dig the flick most of the time.  And the setting/atmosphere of The Rover is totally badass with plenty of 'whoa' moments tossed in for good measure.  3/4.

• Like 2

I checked on KODI, Animal Kingdom is on there.  Will be watching that this weekend :)  I'll watch anything with Guy, I'll check for the Rover as well.

Speaking of movies with great atmosphere, have you seen Let The Right One In?  (puts on snob hat) And I mean the original Swedish version, not the American remake.  In terms of creating an atmosphere for the story, one of my faves.  And it's sitting at a smooth 98% on rotten.  One of my wife's favorite movies.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Speaking of movies with great atmosphere, have you seen Let The Right One In?  (puts on snob hat) And I mean the original Swedish version, not the American remake.  In terms of creating an atmosphere for the story, one of my faves.  And it's sitting at a smooth 98% on rotten.  One of my wife's favorite movies.  

One of my faves as well.  Your lady has good taste...in movies. :P

• Like 2

On 2/6/2017 at 10:18 AM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Animal Kingdom (2010).  It's an Australian crime flick shaped around a teenage boy and his family full of criminals

I assume the TNT show of the same name was based off this movie. I had no idea. I'll definitely check it out. 

My work schedule has been absolutely brutal lately and personal life stuff in chaos so I haven't been able contribute to this thread like I used to. ☹️?

I'll be back soon fellas. Appreciate all the Recs and reviews 

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

One of my faves as well.  Your lady has good taste...in movies. :P

She has better taste in men...

you're my boy chew! 

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I am renting I Saw the Devil later this week, per your rec.  Excited to check it out.

Dude...

it stays with you. Great movie 

• Like 2