Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Logan....(takes a drag on a cigarette) 

Goodness. I loved it. It was something else. The hype is real. Much like The Dark Knight and imo Batman Begins too, this movie is not a comic book movie. It is just a well made, great movie that happens to feature comic book characters. There isn't a doomsday save the world situation, this is a close personal story of love, loss, family, redemption, regret and many other ideas.

It feels real both in the strength of its emotions and in its visceral violence. Some parts I literally realized I hadn't been breathing During the middle of the scene. The action is intense and brutal and just badass which is needed to mix up some of the heavier personal scenes. I was impressed at how well this movie just flows together from one scene and emotion to the next building to one fantastic final 20 minutes or so. 

Ive joked on here before that it's The Last of Us: Xmen and...that's pretty damn accurate. Has a very similar vibe to that masterpiece. 

I didn't want to get up at the end, I just stared there, taken back by what had transpired over the previous two hours. Simply beautiful. What a ride 

and that deadpool pre-movie scene was hilarious. Completely unexpected

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 4

Get Out.

I went because a friend of ours raved about it.  My wife and I were underwhelmed. It wasn't a bad movie, just not a great movie. I don't understand the hype.. Maybe our expectations were too high.   I only screamed like a little ****, a couple of times. I expected more.   It was entertaining,  but not worth the trip to a theater. 

2 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

My Cousin Vinny

One of my all time favorites. Gf had never seen it. Of course she loved it. Such a slept on classic. 25 years later, it has held up as well as any comedy ever has. 

Utes?

Also...Marisa Tomei is just insanely gorgeous in that movie.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Utes?

Judge: Counselor, do you wish to make an opening statement? Counselor?

William: Vinnie?

Vinnie: (waking up) What?

W: Come on, it's time to make your opening statement. C'mon, Vin.

***approaches the jury box***

Vinny: Everything that guy just said is bull****. Thank you.

And oh my god yes. Like wifey gorgeous. I've seen the movie a couple dozen times now and I still get stuck on her. Had me contemplating today what frictional movie character I'd wife up, not just ****. She's gotta be near the top. Really does something for me. 

Logan might have been the most realistic of comic book movies. It was exactly what I thought a wolverine movie should be as a child, and something I would never let a child watch if I were the parent. Just a perfect movie with great character arcs and performances. It should get awards, but will probably get beat out by the next la la land/made for TV movie. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Utes?

Also, there has only been two times where I walked out of a movie, thinking "That guy deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor".  

Fred Gwyn in Vinnie, and Tom Arnold in True Lies.  

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Doctor Strange was kinda fun and visually impressive, but...I really have no idea what was going on and I'm not watching it again to try and figure it out.  Maybe I'm getting old?

Beat the hell out that Dawn of Justice trash, though.

Dr Strange didn't totally work and it wasn't that accessible to people who aren't fans of the comic book.

I felt that, like Guardians of the Galaxy, it had a fairly weak screenplay and relied on the great performances from the super talented cast to carry the film and fill in all of the characterization you weren't getting from the script itself.  But Dr Strange is steeped in esoteria and pseudo-Eastern lore that doesn't have a very familiar and ready frame of reference in our culture like say, the Norse mythology in Thor.  So you get a bunch of weird settings and powers, and objects objects with strange names thrown at you in the movie that end up making the parameters of the film hard to sound out.  Sorcery is basically an entirely new element to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the film just doesn't do enough to explain and define it for the audience.

And there also isn't enough time spent on establishing the character of Strange and Mordo and Dormammu.  But I'm not totally sure that committing more screen time to explaining the origins of those characters would have done that well either.

BUT, the basic story is this:

Arrogant and brilliant neurosurgeon gets into an accident and loses the use of his hands.  His self worth and purpose stems from his excellence in his career, so he loses his way after it's taken from him by the accident.  He bankrupts himself trying every technique to cure himself.  Eventually ends up destitute and wandering a Nepal/Tibet-like place in search of an Eastern mystical cure.  He stumbles upon an ancient order of sorcerers who protect the Earth from all sorts of crazy mystical threats that us normal people don't know about.  They train Strange to become a sorcerer and eventually he becomes the greatest one on Earth.  Dormammu is this sort of God of an evil alternate dimension who is constantly trying to break into Earth and enslave/destroy it.  He's an existential threat.  Strange is constantly battling him to keep him out.  In the movie itself, Strange does this by using the infinity stone in one of his magical artifacts (the eye of agamatto) which has the power to control time.  He threatens to leave Dormammu trapped in a groundhog day-like infinite loop unless Dormammu ceases his invasion of Earth.  

The infinity stones connect Dr Strange to the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe--there are six of them and they show up in the other movies and are objects of enormous power.  

- The first one is the space stone, which was inside the tesseract from the first Captain America and the first Avenger movie.  It ends up in Odin's vault in Asgard.

- The second is the mind stone, which was inside Loki's staff in the Avenger's movie.  Ultron busted it out and used it in the second Avengers movie to create Vision and it is currently the gem on Vision's head

- The third is the reality stone, which was inside that red **** that possessed Natalie Portman from the second Thor movie.  It ends up being given to Benicio Del Toro's character from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie

- The fourth is the power stone, which was that purple thing that was the main quest item for Guardians of the Galaxy.  It gets left on Xandar with the Nova Corps

- The fifth is the time stone, which Dr Strange has

- The sixth and final one is the soul stone, which hasn't been introduced yet.

Anyway, the big overarching plot for all of these Marvel Studios movies is that there is a great big main villain of the universe named Thanos and he is trying to collect all of the stones and turn them into a gauntlet which will give him infinite power and the ability to rule the universe.  That's what everything is building towards, to be resolved in the two future Avengers Inifinity Wars movies.

• Like 2