Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

In what way? That Christian Bale's character just kind of gets away with it? The mob guys don't kill him? That Carmine gets sent to jail?

The way it ends with Carmine was tough to swallow. But the movie couldn't make it alright between him and Irving without being pat. They had to have it end that way.

I probably wouldn't change anything about the movie. Maybe tone Bradley Cooper's character down a bit, but as the villain of the film, he gets some leeway to be melodramatic.

Well I didn't like that Carmine went to jail and was the only decent person in the movie but that's just the story and didn't detract from my enjoyment of it.

I just thought the movie was a bit all over the place. It felt like it was going to have a lot of meat to it but nothing really materialized. There was never that scene or moment that was really impactful. I guess that's what my problem was, there wasn't a lot f substance, it felt like a lot of fluff and a contrived story just to showcase the cast.

Which is fine in it's own right I suppose but with the hype it had and expectations I had going in, I was expecting different.

Even as a character study, I didn't think the characters were fleshed out enough there to really connect or understand.

But as a basic vehicle for the acting performances, it was great.

Trance

A flick by my favorite director, Danny Boyle. Not his best work. Still better than most directors films though. It's a strange film, strange indeed. If you're a fan of his work I'd check it out. If you don't like twisty movies that can be hard to follow at times, pass on it.

Trance.

And then there's that Rosario Dawson scene ;)

Agree though....weird movie. I've always liked James McAvoy, and he did what he could with his role. The Frenchman from oceans twelve was good too

Edited by Chew

Saw Draft Day on Friday night.  Mildly entertaining.  I did like the climactic scene where Kevin Costner pulled off some trade wizardry, even though it's highly doubtful anything like that could really happen.  

Interesting that the liberal movie crew included no Redskins footage.

Dark Skies.  Boy, was this pretty bad.  It started off kinda interesting, but about 45 minutes in, it took a turn for the worse.

Ending was corny as hell. 

Lol I remember seeing that back in the fall. Started off with so much promise, and by the end I was ready to punch someone. Complete sellout by the whole cast/producers.

• Like 1

Draft Day was meh as expected. Love Jennifer Garner in just about anything (and have since Alias) but there are zero interesting characters here--all cardboard people with random mismatched characteristics and involved in random side-situations that don't really connect to develop the story (like "the pregnancy" and the "mom" issues--not spoilers, really).

The football stuff is hardly riveting, though there is some good aerial footage of NFL cities/venues. The actual NFL "football stuff" is average at best, and my opinion is the main premise as detailed well exceeds credibility needed for the basis of a solid "pro sports" movie (at least for knowledgeable NFL fans).

The other three people (none are really "serious" NFL fans) thought it was ok to good, however. Costner, of course, walks through his dialogue with an affable enough nature and all the acting range of a small soap dish, just as the previews indicated to me, but that's no big. Even Dennis Leary is rendered bland, inconsequential, and even "wtf?" as both an actor and in this movie's idea of what his HC role should look like.

Draft Day was meh as expected. Love Jennifer Garner in just about anything (and have since Alias) but there are zero interesting characters here--all cardboard people with random mismatched characteristics and involved in random side-situations that don't really connect to develop the story (like "the pregnancy" and the "mom" issues--not spoilers, really).

The football stuff is hardly riveting, though there is some good aerial footage of NFL cities/venues. The actual NFL "football stuff" is average at best, and my opinion is the main premise as detailed well exceeds credibility needed for the basis of a solid "pro sports" movie (at least for knowledgeable NFL fans).

The other three people (none are really "serious" NFL fans) thought it was ok to good, however. Costner, of course, walks through his dialogue with an affable enough nature and all the acting range of a small soap dish, just as the previews indicated to me, but that's no big. Even Dennis Leary is rendered bland, inconsequential, and even "wtf?" as both an actor and in this movie's idea of what his HC role should look like.

I'm sure that people thought making this movie was a good idea (caveat, I haven't seen it). That said, it's a ridiculous concept that might only really appeal to a fringe element (hardcore NFL fans) and that fringe element already know too much about the subject to accept the apparent stupidity of the premise. 

I suspect someone got inspired by Moneyball and made 1/2 of a good as movie as that one. Am I right?

I watched The Patriot again last weekend on Encore. I don't know if its due to Braveheart (which is a similar style movie, and one that I'm watching as I type this) but I really think this movie gets slept on by a ton of people. I thought Mel gave a very good performance, along with Jason Isaacs (who's character, after going through high school/college, I now recognize as being based on "Bloody" Banastre Tarleton) who does a masterful job as the ruthless Col. Tavington.

Pretty rare that you see a movie based around the Revolutionary War as well (normally the only time you see it on screen is through cheesy re-enactments). I love that movie though. I always watch it when its on. Awesome score too. First time watching it since Heath Ledger died, so it was awkward seeing the scene with he and Tavington in the woods. 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Nebraska.  Wow, what a great movie.  No wonder it was nominated for best picture.  9/10 easy.

Sad at times, very funny, and an overall feel-good story.

I only remember Bruce Dern from Last Man Standing and The 'Burbs, but after checking out his IMDb, dude has been on screen since the 60s. 

I only remember Bruce Dern from Last Man Standing and The 'Burbs, but after checking out his IMDb, dude has been on screen since the 60s. 

My son watched Down Periscope for the first time yesterday, another flick with Bruce Dern :)

• Like 1

Frailty

A man confesses to an FBI agent his family's story of how his religious fanatic father's visions lead to a series of murders to destroy supposed "demons."

Great film. Throws quite a few curveballs at you

Predators

A group of elite warriors are hunted by members of a merciless alien race known as Predators.

I loved this movie. I didn't think it would be all that good when it first came out, so I didn't bother to watch it. Great casting, and although it is very weird to see Adrien Brody in a sci-fi action flick, he knocks it out of the park. Imo this was a lot better than the original sequel, and AVP.

The Last Days On Mars

A group of astronaut explorers succumb one by one to a mysterious and terrifying force while collecting specimens on Mars.

This movie got killed by critics, but I thought it was pretty good. Where I think things got a little "Meh" to "Wtf" was the nature of the "Zombies", when factored in with Mars' climate, and there being no exact determination on how the disease spreads. That, and the ending left a lot to be desired. I'd still take it over a lot of big budget Hollywood flicks that get served up with tons of undeserved hype though.