Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

"Game Change" after I got my butt kicked at work last night. My husband told me I'd feel sorry for her...kinda do. But it's not our fault that the GOP freaked out, thinking Barack would pick HIllary for his running mate. So, they decided on an idiot. Once again, not our fault.

johnc.jpg

John Carter

Fantasy sci-fi action

Civil war veteran has "copy"of self transmitted to Mars while his earth-form falls into stasis. Epic adventures with beautiful princess, alien civilizations and races on Barsoom (Mars). Good production, special effects, and eye candy for all preferences. I heart Dejah Thoris. Interesting beasties and over-arching plot line. Story line bounces back and forth between earth and mars but action mainly on Mars. More sequels planned. Pretty good overall, acting OK, lead roles effective enough, nothing really outstanding but solid popcorn fun for everyone.

Also saw a killer new preview from Avengers. :)

Edited by Jumbo

The Thing.

Prequel to the 1982 "The Thing." Pretty much stayed true to that story and it was ok but I guess the premise wasn't as fresh as the 1982 version. Just not enough tension, although I did like how they discovered a new way of proving if someone was human but not who wasn't (ie the Thing). Did leave an unanswered question.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/jumboskins/johnc.jpg

John Carter

Fantasy sci-fi action

Civil war veteran has "copy"of self transmitted to Mars while his earth-form falls into stasis. Epic adventures with beautiful princess, alien civilizations and races on Barsoom (Mars). Good production, special effects, and eye candy for all preferences. I heart Dejah Thoris. Interesting beasties and over-arching plot line. Story line bounces back and forth between earth and mars but action mainly on Mars. More sequels planned. Pretty good overall, acting OK, lead roles effective enough, nothing really outstanding but solid popcorn fun for everyone.

Also saw a killer new preview from Avengers. :)

Can I ask if others knew who John Carter was before seeing this movie? Maybe I was in the minority never having heard of the character before, but I felt like they've been promoting the hell out of this movie, but until I saw your writeup I had absolutely no clue what the movie was about. If other people, like me, weren't aware of the character before, that's a major fail on the studio's part, in my opinion.

I agree 100. Even though it was it was pretty good, I was upset when America made a "Dragon Tattoo" remake. And I was about to flip out when I heard that Stephen Spielberg and Will Smith were going to remake South Korea's "Old Boy." Old Boy is such a cult classic and most people have never heard of it, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I appreciate the authenticity of original foriegn films, and I respect the low budgets that many of them have, relying on the acting to make the movie. If Spielberg and Will Smith remade Old Boy, it would probably have $100M budget...

If anybody is hip to the South Korean movie scene, they are aboslutely DESTROYING the U.S. when it comes to original thrillers in the past 3-4 years...

Agree in a lot of cases but the American version of Dragon Tattoo was superior and far more faithful to the book than the Swedish version.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Bronson a few months ago. Pretty good flick. That dude was one mean SOB.

I saw "30 Minute or Less" last night. It wasn't that good, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Danny McBride plays the same character in every movie and show he stars in LOL.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

I've read the book, seen the original movie adaptation which made some very unnecessary changes from the story, and was disappointed. Watched the new Daniel Craig adaptation and loved it, it is very faithful to the book with only periferal changes. I loved the girl who played Lisbeth and thought her portrayal was dead on the money. It was weird seeing Daniel Craig not being the hero, but instead being the one needing saving. I would recommend this movie to mature audiences as some of the material is EXTREMELY graphic and disturbing with especial consideration to women who have endured abuse.

what was different from the book vs the sweedish version? i'm torn between which version of the movie i liked better. if i had to buy one it would probably be the american version, but i loved noomi rapace as lisbeth in the sweedish version. i also really liked the actor who played mikael in the sweedish version

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

I've read the book, seen the original movie adaptation which made some very unnecessary changes from the story, and was disappointed. Watched the new Daniel Craig adaptation and loved it, it is very faithful to the book with only periferal changes. I loved the girl who played Lisbeth and thought her portrayal was dead on the money. It was weird seeing Daniel Craig not being the hero, but instead being the one needing saving. I would recommend this movie to mature audiences as some of the material is EXTREMELY graphic and disturbing with especial consideration to women who have endured abuse.

i forgot to quote your post so you would respond :ols:

what was different from the book vs the sweedish version? i'm torn between which version of the movie i liked better. if i had to buy one it would probably be the american version, but i loved noomi rapace as lisbeth in the sweedish version. i also really liked the actor who played mikael in the sweedish version

I thought Rooney Mara fit the character as described in the books a lot better. Rapace seemed a bit too muscular which conflicted with how she was described and also didn't seem awkward enough to me.

They also left out a lot of details like the cat being killed and changed how certain characters met, etc. that didn't really make sense to me. Fincher's version was a much better interpretation of the book (IMHO). His biggest change - the ending where you find out about Harriet - he actually improved on from the book I thought.

zzlab1243225205.jpg

I'm assuming most of you all have seen it already so I won't bore you with a synopsis.

I dug it. Saw it for the first time. I never got into that whole "broheim" thing so I dismissed this movie when it came out. I actually liked it more than I thought I would.

The Goodbye Girl. Laugh all you want but...I kinda loved it.

No laughing here, I love that film. Neil Simon wrote some great stories.

Anyway, last film I saw was Breaking Away (1979)

Starring the young Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern, and Jackie Earle Haley. Great film about four friends living in the college town of Bloomington, Indiana and the tensions between them and the "rich" college kids. One of the guys is obsessed with cycling and Italy and tries to win over a college girl, etc.

MV5BMTA1NTE0NDU4MTFeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDEwODEzNTE@._V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg