Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

MV5BMTYyNTc0OTUwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA3NzE0NA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Hoosiers (1986)

Never seen this movie before. Watched it last night. Pretty good movie about a basketball coach that moves to a podunk town to teach their inhabitants how to not be giant douche bags. Basketball coach wins over the a hole town folk because their star basketball player decides that he wants to play for his team. Whoopee.

(it really was pretty good)

what was different from the book vs the sweedish version? i'm torn between which version of the movie i liked better. if i had to buy one it would probably be the american version, but i loved noomi rapace as lisbeth in the sweedish version. i also really liked the actor who played mikael in the sweedish version

SPOILER ALERT IN NINJA!!! Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!

Ok, I gotta go back a bit in my head, but in the Swedish one and the American one they completely eliminated Mikael's relationship with the old man's daughter who lived on the island, not a big deal for the plot though.

In the Swedish one Mikael all but solves the thing on his own and really doesn't rely upon Lisbeth for much more than data mining, but he's got it almost solved by the time she even arrives on the island, but that's not how it is in the book. He figures out that she saw someone in the photos but while he's tracking down other photos Lisbeth puts together the fact that whoever did it was a serial killer. The biggest diversion for me in the Swedish film that was unnecessary is described in the imdb.com site.

Blomkvist confides to Martin a lot of information that he has dug up, and Martin leaves the room under the pretense of calling police. While Martin is out of the room, Mikael suddenly questions what Martin was doing in the old man's house, too, but the revelation comes to late, as Martin injects him in the neck with some kind of tranquilizer. When he awakens, he finds himself tied up and Martin reveals himself as a serial killer who has killed many women over the past four decades.

I just don't get why they thought they had to do it this way, because IMO it works so much better that Mikael falls into Martin's trap in Martin's house like it actually happened, not in the old man's house. What's more is that by the time Mikael is captured by Martin he already figured out who the killer was and that there were two killers, Martin and his father. This revelation happens at the same time that Lisbeth is researching at the company's archives, when Mikael figures it out that's when he goes to Martin's house (just like in the American version), but in the Swedish one Mikael never figures it out until Martin kidnaps him.

The next part that the Swedish and American movies changed was the climactic crash scene. In the Swedish one Martin swerves and misses a truck and flips...then Lisbeth walks up to the truck and looks at him as the truck catches fire. The American one isn't much different only he crashes just on the other side of the bridge off the island where he flips and bursts into flames as Lisbeth watches. In the book he hits the 18 wheeler head on and Lisbeth keeps riding right past with hardly a second look...a perfectly fitting response for her character.

Next, the Swedish film showed Mikael going to Australia where Harriet was living on a sheep ranch, that is accurate, but Anita isn't dead like the movie says they're just living one under the maiden name the other under the married name. Anita in England, Harriet in Australia. The American movie cuts the entire Australia connection and shows that Harriet simply assumed Anita's identity in England...bleh.

Finally, Lisbeth had been spying on Wennerstrom's computer for months and had massive amounts of information about him. Mikael does go to jail for three months and while in jail he writes an entire book explaining Wennerstrom's crimes etc which he and his magazine editor publish to coincide with their Millennium magazine feature. Lisbeth does the creative movement of the bonds between banks and steals millions from Wennerstrom, and then it is assumed that she is the one who tipped off the criminals who came looking for Wennerstrom which resulted in his death.

The very last scene in the American version was actually more accurate than the Swedish, in the Swedish version Lisbeth is in the Cayman islands getting the money. But, in the book and the American version, she is back in Sweden and is actually buying a gift for Mikael, in the American movie it was a leather jacket similar to one she saw him wearing in some old photos. In the book I believe it was an Elvis painting or something (can't remember right off), but she see's Mikael with his arm around his magazine editor getting into a car and then she throws it away and drives off. That part is right on.

---------- Post added March-27th-2012 at 11:18 PM ----------

I thought Rooney Mara fit the character as described in the books a lot better. Rapace seemed a bit too muscular which conflicted with how she was described and also didn't seem awkward enough to me.

They also left out a lot of details like the cat being killed and changed how certain characters met, etc. that didn't really make sense to me. Fincher's version was a much better interpretation of the book (IMHO). His biggest change - the ending where you find out about Harriet - he actually improved on from the book I thought.

Agreed for the most part. I didn't get why the Swedish version had people meeting differently, and the cat was so crucial in the book because it really began to let Mikael and Lisbeth know just what kind of person they were dealing with and that they were still alive and knew that they were closing in on him. I like the Australia ending better though as it just made more sense to me since Anita had been back to Sweden and they would have recognized her as Harriet. Maybe, if I hadn't read the book first it wouldn't have matter that much.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYyNTc0OTUwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA3NzE0NA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Hoosiers (1986)

Never seen this movie before. Watched it last night. Pretty good movie about a basketball coach that moves to a podunk town to teach their inhabitants how to not be giant douche bags. Basketball coach wins over the a hole town folk because their star basketball player decides that he wants to play for his team. Whoopee.

(it really was pretty good)

My biggest problem with that movie is that it's a bunch of white boys playing old school basketball. The game sequences are about as entertaining as golf.

SPOILER ALERT IN NINJA!!! Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!

Another difference was that in the movie, Blomkvist never goes to prison for his libel conviction, he just has to pay $$$.

okay cool. thanks for the explanations....NINJA Questions: i was wondering about the ending in the american version where lisbeth throws the jacket in the trash. it seemed like she really had a thing for Mikael and wanted to have something more with him....In the Sweedish version it didn't seem like that at all.

also, the other big question I have was about Mikael's daughter. In the American movie, she tells him about the bible verses in Harriet's journal which leads Mikael to crack that code. In the Sweedish version, you never even saw Mikael's daughter and it was Lisbeth who cracked the code about the bible verses. which one is more accurate to the book?

okay cool. thanks for the explanations....NINJA Questions: i was wondering about the ending in the american version where lisbeth throws the jacket in the trash. it seemed like she really had a thing for Mikael and wanted to have something more with him....In the Sweedish version it didn't seem like that at all.

also, the other big question I have was about Mikael's daughter. In the American movie, she tells him about the bible verses in Harriet's journal which leads Mikael to crack that code. In the Sweedish version, you never even saw Mikael's daughter and it was Lisbeth who cracked the code about the bible verses. which one is more accurate to the book?

NINJA Answers

The American version is correct on both of these. I'm curious as to why the Swedish version left out the ending with her buying the gift and throwing it away. This plot point was crucial to understanding her characters actions in both sequels - I haven't watched the Swedish version of those yet.

Also, I'm not sure why the Swedish version had Lisbeth cracking the Bible code. It didn't really make sense to me that she would have been the one to make that connection.

NINJA Answers

The American version is correct on both of these. I'm curious as to why the Swedish version left out the ending with her buying the gift and throwing it away. This plot point was crucial to understanding her characters actions in both sequels - I haven't watched the Swedish version of those yet.

Also, I'm not sure why the Swedish version had Lisbeth cracking the Bible code. It didn't really make sense to me that she would have been the one to make that connection.

Thanks for the answer. 1 more question. NINJA: At the end, how was Mikael captured by Martin in the book? In the Sweedish version, Martin sneaks up behind Mikael and injects him in the neck. In the American version, Martin catches Mikael sneaking out of his house and invites him inside. Then Martin pulls a gun on Mikael and leads him down to his dungeon and uses his gas chamber to knock him out. How did this happen in the book? Also, did Martin listen to that "Sail Away" song in the book like he did in the American movie? I don't understand the significance of the song.

NINJA

The ending of the book was much more similar to the American version of the movie. I don't recall Martin using a "gas chamber" but everything else was pretty much the same. He definitely didn't inject him with anything. As far as the song, I don't recall that and I would have to rewatch the movie to try to catch the relevance of the song. I'm sure Fincher put that song there for a reason but I missed it the first time.

My biggest problem with that movie is that it's a bunch of white boys playing old school basketball. The game sequences are about as entertaining as golf.

It was the 1950s. They're playing old school basketball because.....well....it was old school basketball back then. There were no highlight reel dunks in those days. Actually, from a basketball standpoint, the game back then was more technically sound and the players had better fundamentals.

---------- Post added March-28th-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

Mockumentary about professional poker players.

Absolutely hilarious!!

The things I'd do to Cherly Hines.:yes::drool:

Watched both 12 Angry Men (1957) and The Dirty Dozen (1967) this weekend. I had already seen them both several times, so that should tell you that both are good movies.

Complete coincidence that they both deal with the number 12. Wasn't a theme of the weekend or anything. :ols:

NINJA

The ending of the book was much more similar to the American version of the movie. I don't recall Martin using a "gas chamber" but everything else was pretty much the same. He definitely didn't inject him with anything. As far as the song, I don't recall that and I would have to rewatch the movie to try to catch the relevance of the song. I'm sure Fincher put that song there for a reason but I missed it the first time.

Ninja

In the book if memory serves Martin slips up behind Mikael with the noose and immediately begins strangling him. The whole exchange between Martin and Mikael was right on the money from what the American version showed. It may be twisted but I thought the part where Martin took a special joy in watching the hope fall from his victims faces was very well done. The Enya song was in the book and I never really figured out why it mattered other than it just adding to a pretty surreal scene.

Ninja

In the book if memory serves Martin slips up behind Mikael with the noose and immediately begins strangling him. The whole exchange between Martin and Mikael was right on the money from what the American version showed. It may be twisted but I thought the part where Martin took a special joy in watching the hope fall from his victims faces was very well done. The Enya song was in the book and I never really figured out why it mattered other than it just adding to a pretty surreal scene.

NINJA: So let me get this straight. Martin poured Mikael a drink and then pulled a gun on him and led him to the basement where he strangled him with a noose? And the same song that was playing in the movie was the one in the book?

NINJA: So let me get this straight. Martin poured Mikael a drink and then pulled a gun on him and led him to the basement where he strangled him with a noose? And the same song that was playing in the movie was the one in the book? [/Quote]

I honestly don't even remember Martin pulling the gun on him, but more or less just showing him around the house and into the torture room when Martin noosed him. I'd have to go back to be sure.

:ols:

Skinz you should probably just read the book for yourself. It's less than $9.00 now in a lot of places. Even if you've seen the movie(s) there is enough plot expanded upon and extra details that make it a worthy read.

I need to get back into reading for fun. Unfortunately all my reading time is occupied by reading my accounting textbooks. This summer I will try and get around to reading it b/c I loved the movies

Ummm, when you guys are posting 10 ninja replies can you include the title of the movie you're posting ninja info for?? I just had to click back through like 10 replies to get to the original post that names the movie :(

Sorry, it was all about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Melancholia

A planet is heading towards Earth, and this movie takes place in the days immediately preceding impact. (<--That isn't a spoiler BTW) A woman gets married and acts weird and depressed at the reception for some reason. Her sister is the other main character, and also acts weird and depressed, but it's mostly because she is convinced the world is about to be destroyed. One dude (Keifer Sutherland) keeps telling everyone that they will be ok.

This movie got some rave reviews but I didn't like it, it just seemed kind of slow, artsy, and pointless.