Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge: 

Grade B: Nice animation, Johnny Cage is hilarious in a kind of Booster Gold-ish kind of role. But the story makes Rise of Skywalker seem like a masterpiece.

Overall, though, a pretty fun ride. Just wish they added more characters -- the characters you see in the previews are pretty much all the characters in the movie. 

Edited by Mournblade

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Scoob - 6 or 7 out of 10 - my 5 year old son loved it but I thought it was just alright.  It doesn't feel at all like a "traditional" Scooby movie/show at all.  

Ditto but I'd have given it a solid 7. Too much emphasis on super heroes and not enough on the mystery inc. Still had lots of Scooby-Doo type humor.

Glad I paid only $7...as an aside if you feed your dog/cat blue buffalo you can get $13 off of the movie (with purchase of $25 or more blue buffalo products at any retailer). Fandango Bow code came thr day after submittal of receipt online.

Finally got to see Joker. Joaquin Phoenix is great, but I thought the movie was a mess. It felt like when Rob Zombie tried to remake Halloween, and he added some awful backstory about young Michael’s obsession with masks.

Phillips makes the same misfire here, except with clowns. And does anyone really need to know that Joker had a bad home life? No ****. 

Biggest complaint from me is that I never bought that he was The Joker. He seemed like a weakling loser, not some ruthless madman.

Oh and the new makeup sucked. (1/4)

Anyone seen "Fantasy Island"? I'm considering splurging on a movie. (Edit, add: here at home on Dish)

Btw, "The Accountant" is an absolutely stellar film. Rewatched it the other day for about the 10th time...I never fail to see something new. 10.

Edited by skinsmarydu

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Anyone seen "Fantasy Island"? I'm considering splurging on a movie. (Edit, add: here at home on Dish)

Btw, "The Accountant" is an absolutely stellar film. Rewatched it the other day for about the 10th time...I never fail to see something new. 10.

Had my roommate download that , haven't watched it yet.  It's a horror movie.

• Like 1

Annihilation. Jesus....I seem to be really good at picking weird movies. Strange sci-fi type movie...the dialogue was odd and didn't seem to fit the situation. Crazy visuals. No real ending....I give the movie a C-.

At the ending credits I saw the movie was based on a novel by Jeff Vandermeer. I read one of his books called Borne and hated it. So that's probably why I didn't like this. Like mother! which I saw a month ago, this movie will make you think, but ultimately it is more perplexing than it is revealing. 

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 1

So l like old movies, and with the shutdowns, seeing new stuff hasn't been very high on my priorities. But I have found some very good older movies some may enjoy.

Here are 3 weekend recommendations:

Akira is on Hulu. Awesome anime, one of the best. Even if you have seen it, watching it again is worth it.

On Prime, check out "The Train". (I think it was made in 1962)
WW2 film about Nazis trying to steal art treasures, and the resistance is out to stop them. The resistance is subtle, not so much shoot -em-up and blood-n-glory as you'd think (especially if you look at the movie poster) Burt Lancaster pulls it off very well.
the thing about this movie is that when they need destruction,, they DO it. Bomb a trainyard? Collide locomotives? Derail all sorts of stuff...  use real ones. This movie wrecks some stuff UP. 

Another really good WW2 movie on Prime: "Is Paris Burning?"
French resistance in Paris as the Germans are losing the war and contemplating destroying the city. This one is long (near 3 hours) but it has good action.. it is shot on location and the camera work is superb. As you are watching you start to realize this happened right where they are filming less than 20 years beforehand..  and it sort of drives home.
 it is also one of those movies in which major stars appear but are not given top billing.. the 'stars" of the movie are the french actors.. while Hollywood giants like Kirk Douglas just appear without fanfare. (He plays George Patton)

"Night of the Hunter" is on Prime.
Robert Mitchum as a psychotic serial killer disguised as a priest...

Edit,, adding one. Prime HAD HBO content on it up until a couple days ago it seems.. if this isn't still there it hopefully is on the HBO app
"Cast A Deadly Spell" is a bit of fun,, 1940s era gumshoe detective in a world where magic is used by everybody. Fred Ward is the star and I like him.  The thing about this flick is you can't find too many movies that feature Cthulhu and the Old Ones,  but this one does.
Also, bad guy gangster is played by Clancy Brown, who was also The Kurgin in "Highlander" ( a GREAT villain).. AND.. he is also the voice of Mr. Krabbs, which never fails to make me laugh.

for the record, the best newer movies i have seen recently are 
The Gentlemen was great, tons of good stuff, but for me, Colin Farrell flat out steals this movie. He's terrific.
Ford v Ferarri was awesome. 
And "Knives Out" was a lot of fun.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War: C+. Great premise -- Justice League conducts a pre-emptive strike against Darkseid and Apokolips that goes horribly wrong, leaving most of the League either dead, crippled, or captured; only a few stragglers escape and desperately try to mount a rebellion. However, the execution after that is not very good, particularly the ending which is terrible. Only worth your time if you're a hardcore JL fan.   

On 5/23/2020 at 1:34 AM, abdcskins said:

Annihilation. Jesus....I seem to be really good at picking weird movies. Strange sci-fi type movie...the dialogue was odd and didn't seem to fit the situation. Crazy visuals. No real ending....I give the movie a C-.

At the ending credits I saw the movie was based on a novel by Jeff Vandermeer. I read one of his books called Borne and hated it. So that's probably why I didn't like this. Like mother! which I saw a month ago, this movie will make you think, but ultimately it is more perplexing than it is revealing. 

you should google this. there is a lot of analysis on the movie out there. It has a lot of interesting things to say and does so in a way that isn’t heavy handed so its ideas and themes aren’t glaringly obvious if you aren’t paying close attention.

It would help you appreciate it more imo. 

Just watched The Tale... it's based on a true story and is sometimes an incredibly difficult watch. 😐

I know people hate the term "trigger" but this movie absolutely deserves a trigger warning in front of it. it's based on a story the director wrote when she was 13 that she claimed at the time was made up but turns out to be true. the movie gives you things from her perspective as a child and as an adult trying to sort through her faulty perspectives and the ways she dealt with everything over the last several decades. Fantastic acting, some surprising directorial decisions that really work, a couple of twists, and a few somewhat generic/cliche moments that end up not really being cliches when you think about it.

CORPORATE MONSTER

Starring Jenna Coleman and Kett Turton.

Directed by Ruairi Robinson.

Screenplay by Ruairi Robinson & Eoin Rogers

Produced by Nick Ryan

Executive Producers: Jay Douglas, Jessica Rudzewicz

Cinematography: Macgregor

Music by Steve Moore

Production design: Marie Lanna

Sound design: Brandon Jones

Visual Effects by The Kaiju Meat Company

Associate Producer Anthony Tai

Production Companies: TITAN II/FLOODLAND PICTURES REBELLION STUDIOS & THE KAIJU MEAT COMPANY

present In association with FÍS ÉIREANN/SCREEN IRELAND and REBELLION STUDIOS

• Haha 1

Parasite - Its different, interesting movie. I liked it. Had no idea what it was about, didn’t even watch a trailer for it but for some reason thought it was a movie about a rampant disease. The acting was good but as far as winning the academy award for movie of the year seems like a stretch for me.