Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

11 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Blade Runner 2049 -- wow! My movie of the year for 2017! Yep, better than Logan. And I'm not even going to mention that other certain sci-fi flick with huge expectations. In fact, take Rian Johnson, strap him down to a chair, and make him watch BR 2049 to get a clue on how to make a great sci-fi movie.

Dennis Villeneuve = the new Stanley Kubrick. Possibly the most visually gorgeous movie I have seen since 2001: Space Oddessy. And the

soundtrack! The visuals and soundtrack I give an A+. Sylvia Hoeks A+ for one of the best villains I have seen in a long time.

Overall I give the movie an A-. Not quite perfect, because it was a little long and the plot was a little tricky to follow at times, but those are only minor complaints.

A triumph, an absolute Sci-Fi classic, and a welcome addition to my Blu-Ray collection! 

I'm actually pretty stunned I liked BR2049 so much. I thought I was going to dislike it because 1) I thought the first BR was one of the most overrated movies of all time 2) 2hr 45 min is very long for any movie; I had my doubts that a movie that long could be any good 3) I haven't liked Dennis Villeneuve's previous movies; I thought Sicario was terrible and Arrival was pretty bland.

But holy smokes did he hit the ball out of the park with this one. And as for the movie length, I was riveted the entire time. Even during slower scenes (like when K was romancing his AI girlfriend) there was always SOMETHING that grabbed your attention -- from the mind blowing visuals to the mesmerizing music. 

Again, easily my favorite move of 2017. 

Brawl in cell block 99 - Vince Vaughn

Two thumbs up. The trailer kind of sucks though.

Vince goes to prison, his wife is kidnapped and he is asked to take out another prisoner to save her and his unborn child from death. 

Totally worth the time invested to watch. 

12 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Vince goes to prison, his wife is kidnapped and he is asked to take out another prisoner to save her and his unborn child from death. 

Is it in theaters or on streaming services?

9 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I thought Sicario was terrible and Arrival was pretty bland.

K, so do tell about Sicario.

8 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I liked this one, too.  Didn't really see Vince Vaughn as capable of that but he did a great job.

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Watched Dunkirk last night.  Damn.

I watched it a second time on Blu-Ray, just great. Only part I didn't like was at the end where Tom Hardy's Spitfire, completely OUT OF FUEL,

manages to shoot down a German Dive Bomber. Yeah, ok, that's realistic.

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

I watched it a second time on Blu-Ray, just great. Only part I didn't like was at the end where Tom Hardy's Spitfire, completely OUT OF FUEL,

manages to shoot down a German Dive Bomber. Yeah, ok, that's realistic.

Thanks for the spoiler. Hadn’t seen it yet. :( 

• Like 1

Watched Founder on Netflix. It is about the founding of McDonalds and how Ray Crock got control of the company. Michael Keaton does a fantastic job. Solid A from me.

Also watched Christine on Netflix. It's about the life of reporter Christine Chubbuck  and her life leading up to her on air suicide. Rebecca Hall does a great job. I always like her. Another solid A.

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

My bad (although that movie has been out since July 21 of last year). 

54 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Watched Founder on Netflix. It is about the founding of McDonalds and how Ray Crock got control of the company. Michael Keaton does a fantastic job. Solid A from me.

That was a great movie. Keaton's still got it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Thought you might have stopped reading at “the only part I didn’t like was..” 

but anyway, it’s not really a big spoiler overall. The trailer shows his gas runs out. The movie is actually pretty hard to spoil now that I think about it. 

It is stunning tho. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Trek fans may like this movie.

Please Stand By

>>>A young autistic woman runs away from her caregiver in order to boldly go and deliver her 500-page Star Trek script to a writing competition in Hollywood. On an adventure full of laughter and tears, Wendy, played with exquisite delicacy by Dakota Fanning, follows the guiding spirit of Mr. Spock on her journey into the unknown. "It is there for us to conquer, not to fear." Directed by Ben Lewin (The Sessions) and also starring Academy Award (R) Nominee Toni Collette, with a special guest-appearance by Patton Oswalt.<<<

It was released on Friday in 4 or 5 theaters but mainly on Amazon and On Demand.   

I had my roommate download it and it was pretty good.  I'll give it an B.

11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dunkirk is a beautiful movie.  The acting is great but the visuals are just amazing.  I wish I'd seen it in the theatre.

Ditto on Dunkirk. I might go see it again, if it gets a second run at a theater around here that shows older movies. Blade Runner is also one I wish I saw in theaters, and I know that will be shown there at some point. I'll definitely go see it again, on the big screen. The special effects were amazing. Very good overall.

It was also good. Had a bit of a Stand by Me feel to it. The kid actors were good. I didn't like the original, but thought this one was a lot better. The most disappointing movie I've seen in a long time was The Dark Tower. I PPV'd it, and wish I hadn't paid for it at all. Should have waited for it to come on HBO, USA, TNT, or whatever. I always hoped they would turn those books into a serious multi-movie epic like the LOTR movies, etc. Weak effort.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:56 AM, SoulSkin said:

It was also good. Had a bit of a Stand by Me feel to it. The kid actors were good. I didn't like the original, but thought this one was a lot better. The most disappointing movie I've seen in a long time was The Dark Tower. I PPV'd it, and wish I hadn't paid for it at all. Should have waited for it to come on HBO, USA, TNT, or whatever. I always hoped they would turn those books into a serious multi-movie epic like the LOTR movies, etc. Weak effort.

Had to read the first few sentences a number of times to figure out what movie you were talking about.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Had to read the first few sentences a number of times to figure out what movie you were talking about.

I wrote it, and did the same thing a couple of times. I kept thinking that doesn't look right, but just left it that way. Should have tried something different there. Still, thumbs up for It (the movie)

• Like 1

Speaking of misunderstandings: 

MPW-121500

At a top secret research facility in the 1950s, a lonely janitor forms a unique relationship with an amphibious creature that is being held in captivity.

So my disdain for movie trailers spoiling everything has been well documented on this forum. With that said, I’d like to show the only trailer I’ve seen for The Shape of Water below and note that I stopped watching once I realized I wanted to see it. This was at 45 seconds. Which is basically a completely different movie than what I walked into Saturday night. I’d also recommend not watching this entire trailer since it tells the entire movie 

Anyway, So based on the first 45 seconds I’m thinking this is a Michael Shannon mystery thriller with some lab experiment about to go wrong type of movie. Holy hell was that mistaken. To be honest I hadn’t even seen the poster above either which would have clued me in a bit more on what the heck to expect 

That said, I did enjoy it quite a bit. Visually and stylistically it’s gorgeous. Might be the best and most fully realized concept of Guillermo Del Toro. Everything is just a sight to behold and fits together perfectly with the story and message it is telling. 

And the story it is it is telling is a fairy. A remixed Disney movie almost for a darker and more modern time. Suspend your disbelief at the door for this one because it will take you on a ride that is part syfy, part fantastical and part love. 

As I said the visuals and sound are fanatastic. Michael Shannon is a powerhouse as always but the movie is carried by Sally Hawkins and her mute character’s interactions, fears, desires and morals in this world. She handles the task with ease bringing a lot of emotional

weight to the movie without ever saying a word. 

This movie is weird but it should be expected with Del Toro at this point and something people that like his films look forward to. It won’t be for everyone and the message is probably too on the nose for others, but i appreciated the simplicity and beauty of it. There doesn’t need to be more, it’s a tale we’ve all heard since we were first told stories. 

And it’s handled really well here, tho sometimes I admit I asked myself: “what. the. ****?” Before diving right back in. 

It wouldn’t be my best picture but it was a very good and enjoyable movie with a knockout setting, great performances and a visual treat. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

Blade Runner 2049. A cinematic masterpiece. Looked great. Sounded great. But I think the line between who is a human and who is a replicant is so much more blurred and ambiguous than even in the original. Makes it tough to follow at times, even though it is this confusion that is really the foundation of the film. It's a science fiction film that is so heavy on the "what if?" question that all good SF likes to toy with that it will probably not resonate with the Star Wars type of SF fan.    

• Like 1