Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Stop Making Sense.  The 1983 concert film by The Talking Heads.

Jonathan Demme directed it and he had recently passed away so it's on iTunes for six or seven bucks.  I'd never watched it before but had heard a lot about it over the years.  Regarded as one of the best (if not the best) concert films of all time.  I like certain songs of theirs (Burning Down the House, This Must Be The Place, Psycho Killer, etc) but don't have a deep knowledge of their catalog.  For example, I didn't know the song "Swamp" (featured in Risky Business) was theirs.   So I didn't really know what to expect. 

Amazing.  What a beautiful film of a band at their peak.  Byrne is captivating throughout, Harrison, Frantz and Weymouth are all very talented musicians.  Particularly Weymouth, I'm not sure how she isn't considered one of the better bass players of all time, her grooves are catchy, can't help but nod your head or tap your feet.  The backup singers were great, Bernie Worrell was great....outstanding. 

One of the things that I liked about it the most is that there were hardly any crowd shots.  Certainly no up close shots of fans going nuts, which I've always hated in concert films because...well, **** you, I'm not there so I don't really care to see all the fun you're having.  No, show me the performers and what they're doing, show me how they're playing their instruments.  I didn't turn this on to spend time watching some idiot in the crowd jumping around, I turned it on to see someone like Byrne and co deliver great music and that's what this film does the entire time.  The only crowd shots are when the camera pans to a wide shot and happens to catch some of them in the background.

It'd probably help to be a fan of theirs to enjoy this, but I'm not sure.  If you like a few of their songs, it's definitely worth checking out.  Planning on watching it again here soon. 

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 tonight.  I liked it, but felt it wasn't as good as Vol. 1. It's not bad or anything but I felt something was missing that the first one had. So, it only gets a B+ from me.  Baby Groot steals the show.  Stay for the credits, as they are 5 credit scenes.

200w.gif#0-grid1

Edited by Rdskns2000

"Prisoners" - starring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall (sp? ), 2013 movie.  Dramatic-thriller (not sure correct word) about abduction of two girls, and their families reaction.

A+... great acting all around.  I swear, I only trying to watch highly rated movies and Gyllenhall shows up in a lot of them.. End of Watch, Nightcrawler, and this one... 

• Like 3

Guardians of the Galaxy 2.  Well, Guardians is my favorite Marvel series. Maybe not the best movies, but the most fun and heartfelt.  Pratt is the man.  Guardians 2 might not be as strong of a story as the first, but a LOT more laughs.  Bautista was made for his role.  A.

Spoiler

The whole movie was like a side story or origin story but I loved it 

I'm calling it now, Wonder Woman will be the best DC movie since Dark Knight (not that's difficult)

A Dog's Purpose. Meh, okay.  But a ton of cute puppies and the usual feelbox moments of most dog movies.  C.

Logan.  The best comic book movie ive ever seen.   2017 could be a powerhouse year for Hollywood, but am I reaching to say Logan could he nominated for multiple Oscars?  A+.

Gifted.  Really cute movie.  I'm so uses to seeing Chris Evans kick was as CA, I forgot he can act.  Little girl was adorbs.  As usual, everything Octavia Spencer touches is gold.  That woman owns the scene whenever she's on screen.  B.

I may or may not have teared up during the Last Jedi trailer.  That **** is gonna change lives.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keith Huddleston said:

For some reason I don't GET Guardians of the Galaxy at all. The first one was one of the most overrated movies

of all time. Won't bother seeing the second one. 

I'm sure some of the fellow ES movie enthusiasts could explain it a lot better than I could, but to me, the Guardians series is all about feel good movies.  They don't seem to take themselves as seriously as the "big boy" Marvel series like Avengers, X-Men, etc.  

Though I love me some sarcastic RDJ, nobody delivers the laughs in the Marvel universe like the Guardians do.  Chriss Pratt, Bautista, Rocket, and Groot are all hilarious.  Gamora is the only semi-serious one and even she's funny at times.   Yondu is funny as well.  Guardians 2 is the funniest Marvel movie I've seen.  

In addition to the LOLs, there was a lot of drama in the Guaridans sequel, and it hit pretty hard.  Well balanced mix of action, comedy, and feels.  

All that being said, I find that I "care" a lot more about the Guardians characters than any other Marvel characters.  I am much more emotionally invested in seeing the continuation of the Guardians series than the others.  If I never saw another Iron Man, CA, Thor, X-men, etc movie again, I'd be fine.  But if I could never see any of the new Guardians movies, I'd be bummed out LOL.  

Chris Pratt is going to be my generation's Harrison Ford.  Dude's going to be making kickass action movies for the next 30 years.  Man-crush?  Engage.  

Edited by Chew
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I saw the GotG movie I hated it.  The plot is paint by numbers.  I had really high expectations going in based on the way it was reviewed and was sorely disappointed by how basic and cliche it was.  I also found Drax, Rocket, and Gamora obnoxious.  However I thoroughly enjoyed it the second time I watched it.  My experience was all about properly setting expectations.  The story might be old-hat but the movie is fun and it really excels as a vehicle for Chris Pratt's extraordinary talent.  The man is a star among stars and I am amazed at how effortlessly he can carry a film.  When Infinity Wars comes out and he's sharing screen time with the likes of RDJ and Hemsworth and Cumberbatch and Paul Rudd and Tom Holland, he's still going to be stealing scenes.  He is unbelievably charismatic.

I was also too harsh on James Gunn.  The narrative arcs and characters in Guardians are super familiar, to put it nicely.  But the movie was clean and tight and full of adventure and wit.  There are no real wasted or unnecessary moments, and even though I think the "family you choose is the one that matters" theme that defines Guardians was a little sappy and ham-fisted, it's part of the charm of the movie.

Just turn your brain off and enjoy a fun as hell comic book sci fi fantasy laden with pleasing nostalgia, good jokes, breathtaking visual effects, and a fantastic soundtrack.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The first time I saw the GotG movie I hated it.  The plot is paint by numbers.  I had really high expectations going in based on the way it was reviewed and was sorely disappointed by how basic and cliche it was.  I also found Drax, Rocket, and Gamora obnoxious.  However I thoroughly enjoyed it the second time I watched it.  My experience was all about properly setting expectations.  The story might be old-hat but the movie is fun and it really excels as a vehicle for Chris Pratt's extraordinary talent.  The man is a star among stars and I am amazed at how effortlessly he can carry a film.  When Infinity Wars comes out and he's sharing screen time with the likes of RDJ and Hemsworth and Cumberbatch and Paul Rudd and Tom Holland, he's still going to be stealing scenes.  He is unbelievably charismatic.

I was also too harsh on James Gunn.  The narrative arcs and characters in Guardians are super familiar, to put it nicely.  But the movie was clean and tight and full of adventure and wit.  There are no real wasted or unnecessary moments, and even though I think the "family you choose is the one that matters" theme that defines Guardians was a little sappy and ham-fisted, it's part of the charm of the movie.

Just turn your brain off and enjoy a fun as hell comic book sci fi fantasy laden with pleasing nostalgia, good jokes, breathtaking visual effects, and a fantastic soundtrack.

Like your post, but especially the bold parts.  Pratt is so charismatic.  He has a friendly smile, he's funny, he's handsome, he's genuine.  You can relate to him. Chris Pratt was born to save the day.  He's the hero in most of his recent movies as well, Passengers and Jurassic Park, and he stole the screen in both films. 

GotG is a simple, fun watch.  No need to think too hard.  just sit back, eat your popcorn, and enjoy the ride.  And without taking itself too seriously, GotG still packs a punch to the heart.  

Wonder Woman with a 96% on RT. Yet IGN giving it a meager 7.9 (in other words, they refused to give it an 8).

I can't say I'm overly excited about this movie. Mainly because I suspect it will be very similar to the animated Wonder Woman movie done in 2009 (which was excellent, but I don't feel like seeing the same movie twice).

I'm going to wait until it comes out on Blu-Ray...

Edited by Mournblade

On 5/13/2017 at 10:38 PM, youngchew said:

I'm calling it now, Wonder Woman will be the best DC movie since Dark Knight (not that's difficult)

Seen it last night for a early screening that a client was putting on. Honestly, I didn't have high hopes for the movie going in, but was going because my son wanted to go for Gal Gadot reasons. It is in fact the best DC movie since Dark Knight. Very entertaining, well done, and Gal Gadot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

Seen it last night for a early screening that a client was putting on. Honestly, I didn't have high hopes for the movie going in, but was going because my son wanted to go for Gal Gadot reasons. It is in fact the best DC movie since Dark Knight. Very entertaining, well done, and Gal Gadot.

Good to hear!  Going to see it in 2.5 hours :)

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

We watched ID2 the other night.  Blech.  Waayy too many cheezy jokes from the first one. 

I saw that a while back and HATED it. Awful.

I watched Underworld Blood Wars on cable....meh, not too good at all, despite my thing for Kate Beckinsale. Pretty lame movie.

Anyone seen Baywatch yet? Is it any good? I've heard mixed reviews on it... in any event, I'm heading to the mall to see it now, so hopefully it's good. I usually end up liking movies that other people think suck. 

Watched Fist Fight a couple nights ago On Demand. Great movie, very funny. 

On 5/10/2017 at 11:56 PM, Fergasun said:

"Prisoners" - starring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall (sp? ), 2013 movie.  Dramatic-thriller (not sure correct word) about abduction of two girls, and their families reaction.

A+... great acting all around.  I swear, I only trying to watch highly rated movies and Gyllenhall shows up in a lot of them.. End of Watch, Nightcrawler, and this one... 

Oh god. I saw that one night when it was in theatres. Hated it. I hated how it pretty much just ended without anything really happening. Waste of money. 

I saw the probable second best movie of 2017, Wonder Woman today.  I expect "The Last Jedi" to be the best movie of this year.  Definitely, the best DC movie since "The Dark Knight". Gal Gadot was perfect as Wonder Woman.  I will definitely be seeing this movie again. Could be the movie of the summer.

A+.

• Like 1