Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2012 Baltimore Orioles Thread

Hitman21ST

I can see the O's letting him walk if the price isn't right. Davis would be great at first which opens up options at DH depending who's on the market.

With the way he strikes out, despite him having a good September, it wouldn't bother me to let Reynolds walk. I'd like to see Davis back at first base.

---------- Post added November-1st-2012 at 08:11 AM ----------

I wouldn't mind Hamilton, but like others said, the price would have to be right. I wouldn't overpay him, nor would I give him more than 5 years. We need a big bopper at #4, but I'd like to see us be smart about it.

Another thrilling addition to the second base club.

/sarcasm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/orioles-claim-alexi-casilla.html

I actually kinda like the move. There are not many good 2B options on the free agent or trade market. Casilla has shown the ability to be a good player at times, but he has been inconsistent. Many people think he has the potential, but may have needed a change of scenery. He is a versatile guy that can play 2B, SS, 3B and a little outfield, plays good defense, can handle the bat and steal a base.

I think Casilla is a pretty good guy to have on the roster, and given the options, I am OK with having Casilla and Flaherty battle it out for 2B. I don't think we can expect anything from Roberts and I think this move might mean Andino gets released. But honestly, as much as I like Andino, I think Casilla is a better player.

It is not an overwhelming move, but I don't know if there is an overwhelming move to be made at 2B. Casilla certainly has talent, and it is another example of Duquette stockpiling guys that may have been undervalued or underperformed for whatever reason and letting the best players win spots on the roster. There were a lot of seemingly minor, underwhelming moves last offseason that brought guys in that made major contributions to a playoff team. Hopefully Casilla can be another one of those guys.

Orioles interested in Hamilton and Ross?!?

According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Orioles are interested in free agent outfielders Josh Hamilton and Cody Ross.

Hamilton is considered the top position player available in free agency, but the Orioles are unlikely to be in the mix if he stands firm on the seven-year, $175 million asking price reported by John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus over the weekend. Ross would be a cheaper alternative, as he's reportedly looking for a three-year, $25 million pact, but he figures to be a very popular target on the open market.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/07/the-orioles-are-going-to-make-a-run-at-josh-hamilton/

I think McClouth earned a spot on this team next year with how he played in the playoffs. He carried our offense. He has speed, plays good defense, and is a decent hitter. I can live with him out in LF. Sure Hamilton would be nice, but I wouldn't go crazy spending wise to get him.

Oh, I didn't mean the $175 million he wants. I mean, our price. He could play DH or LF if we were able to get him.

My point exactly. I liked his hustle. Get a legit #4. Throw a pile of money at Hamilton and if it sticks, great, if not, move on.

I think McClouth earned a spot on this team next year with how he played in the playoffs. He carried our offense. He has speed, plays good defense, and is a decent hitter. I can live with him out in LF. Sure Hamilton would be nice, but I wouldn't go crazy spending wise to get him.

I like McClouth, but he's no Josh Hamilton. We need to stop being on the sidelines while other teams make splashes. Our time is now. Hamilton would immediately make our lineup much better.

I like McClouth, but he's no Josh Hamilton. We need to stop being on the sidelines while other teams make splashes. Our time is now. Hamilton would immediately make our lineup much better.

Oh I'd prefer Hamilton don't get me wrong. I just don't think he's worth what he's asking. If we can get a reasonable deal, I'd be all for him signing here. I just don't think throwing a ton of money at someone who's 32 y/o and misses a bunch of games every year isn't someone I want to give that much too.

Oh I'd prefer Hamilton don't get me wrong. I just don't think he's worth what he's asking. If we can get a reasonable deal, I'd be all for him signing here. I just don't think throwing a ton of money at someone who's 32 y/o and misses a bunch of games every year isn't someone I want to give that much too.

Even if he only plays 110-130 games a year, he'll hit 40 HRs easy at OPACY.

That's what I'm saying. Our payroll is something like $83 million. It's not like we're up against the wall and couldn't add another $25 million.

With the playoff run, more people will buy tickets and then add Hamilton, more tickets will be bought. So adding 25 million to the payroll is nothing. Offer him a 3 year 75 million or 4 year 100 million.

Spend the money.

I agree.

I've cut the team a lot of slack over the past several years for sitting out the free agency circus, because frankly the Orioles sucked in so many areas that one or two stars wouldn't have really changed that (at least not to the point of making it worthwhile to take on the huge risky contracts).

But after this past season, they need to pony up and show the fans they believe this year wasn't a fluke and this squad is worth investing in. They don't have to reel in the biggest fish in the pond, but if they don't spend for some upgrades, and instead pin their hopes on getting lucky with more castoffs and reclamation projects, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I agree with the last few posters. There's no reason not to spend the money on Josh Hamilton. I mean just look at our division rivals, they blow absurd amounts of money every offseason and survive fine even when guys like Carl Crawford or AJ Burnett are just complete busts. Even if we only get 2 or 3 great years of Hamilton it'd be worth it.

Since there's no salary cap in baseball, what does 'worth' really mean? Luxury tax? pffft.

Spend the money.

Because we're not the Yanks, the Angels or the Red Sox. We have to spend money wisely.

I'm not onboard for spending $20m+ per year for Hamilton. He has question marks on his character and could screw our rebuild if he doesn't work out.

Count me in for adding Hamilton. Can't be scared to go after a big name that would fit right in at OPACY. We can't stay status quo because we need a big bat in the middle of the lineup and I don't mean someone with "potential' to put up big numbers. Put him in the 4 hole and you will see those around him vastly improve.

1.Kakes

2.Hardy

3.Jones

4.Hammy

5.Weets

6.Manny

7.???

8.???

9.???

Look at the top 6 of that lineup. Tell me you wouln't love that.

My dream scenario would be to go get Butler from KC and put him at 1st base. Reynolds was a nice story for two weeks and was stellar at 1st base, but his bat has too many holes and sometimes it seems literally.

Archived