Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2012 Baltimore Orioles Thread

Hitman21ST

The O's have resigned Nate Mclouth.

www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-resign-outfielder-nate-mclouth-to-oneyear-deal-20121205,0,4873782.story

Starting to think the big signing is nothing but a pipe dream at this point.

I like bringing back Nate. He was a big reason we made a run at the end of the season.

Agreed and Agreed. I think the only way we make a big move is via trade.

Starting to think the big signing is nothing but a pipe dream at this point.

I hope you are wrong, but fear you are right. The fans showed that they will support a team...Why wouldn't the O's give them something to support? This club does not need a major overhaul, just one or two pieces. This is the perfect time to make a splash. If you sign a big free agent and lose your first round pick, it's not as big of a loss this year. Plus, the Yanks are old, the Soxs are a mess, the Rays are constantly losing players (even if they are still good) and the Blue Jays just added a bunch of players from the worst team in baseball (the players have good track records, but who knows how it will turn out) Spend the money or make a trade and get a middle of the order, carry the team on his back potential, left handed bat and another starting pitcher.

I like Nate too and he was the best hitter in the ALDS, but let's be honest. He hit in the 240s last year with just 12 HR.

But what's the other option in LF/Leadoff? I mean, dumbass Reimold can't stay healthy and he's not really a leadoff guy. I like McLouth's energy last year. I think he's good for the roster.

I like Reynolds, but it didn't break my heart we let him go. He did play well at 1B down the stretch, but he as just too streaky a hitter. When he was hot, he was one of the best hitters on the team, but when he was cold, he was ice cold.

He just seemed like a key figure in the whole team chemistry and underdog persona of the team. I have no doubts that it was a wise baseball move. I just will actually miss rooting for him.

He just seemed like a key figure in the whole team chemistry and underdog persona of the team. I have no doubts that it was a wise baseball move. I just will actually miss rooting for him.

Don't get me wrong I liked him. But if he was asking for more than they were willing to pay, I can't be too upset. He seemed to fit in well with the team, but it's not like he isn't replaceable. Like you said, he and Davis are essentially the same player.

Anyone else in this thread think MLB is headed for another strike next round of labor negotiations or that MLB missed an opportunity to get a salary cap in place last year? Salaries are getting way out of control and it's going to cost the O's players in the future. How Greinke gets $24.5 million per year is beyond me. When is Weiters able to be an unrestricted FA?

Anyone else in this thread think MLB is headed for another strike next round of labor negotiations or that MLB missed an opportunity to get a salary cap in place last year? Salaries are getting way out of control and it's going to cost the O's players in the future. How Greinke gets $24.5 million per year is beyond me. When is Weiters able to be an unrestricted FA?

Owners are making more than they ever have though with the TV deals. Not sure anyone is upset.

Owners are making more than they ever have though with the TV deals. Not sure anyone is upset.

Milwaukee had a $100 million dollar pay roll, drew 2.8 million fans and still finished in the red. These contracts will continue to make it much harder for small market teams to contend year in and year out.

So there are rumors of Hamilton possibly signing with the Angels. Then then Angels would need to trade Borjous, Wells, or Trumbo. Wonder what it would take for Trumbo?

I just have a feeling the O's are expecting to catch lightning in a bottle again. They just lost Reynold's 20 HR's. How are they gonna replace that?

So there are rumors of Hamilton possibly signing with the Angels. Then then Angels would need to trade Borjous, Wells, or Trumbo. Wonder what it would take for Trumbo?

Looks like a deal is pretty close. Not sure what it would take for Trumbo but the O's better get on the ball if they want to find a middle of the order bat that they have been talking about. At this point I'm fairly confident you are not going to see any big name signing and it's really sad as they have the money to sign someone.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

From Fox Sports West RT @joeontheradio: According to MLB source the Angels are in SERIOUS negotiations with Hamilton. No deal yet.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#angels moving in on hamilton. people connected to team seem very confident hamilton will be an angel.

• 4 weeks later...

http://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/statuses/287547811082424320

#orioles may add 3 yrs to Buck's deal after remarkable managing job in '12. announcement coming soon cbsprt.co/SaeuwL

Also, looking through what people have said on other forums, there's a lot of perception that the Orioles managed to make the playoffs by sheer luck

What they did in extra innings was incredible

I wonder if they will be just as good this year but they play in the tough AL East with Tampa and Toronto. New York took some steps back, and Boston will be set back for some time.

you make your own luck. What they did in extra innings was pitch other teams quiet, and that isn't luck.

They made runs when they needed them.. again, i can't call it luck. They got them through long ball and small ball.

I like their chances to be a strong team due to the pitching staff. I really think we may have us an ace in Gonzalez, and our bullpen was lights out.

If that continues, so do the Orioles.

~Bang

You make your own luck with a lethal bullpen. Sure, even with a great pen, you can lose a few 1 run games with a gornk, a pop, a flip and yes, the Orioles were "lucky" to have that streak.

But they were built to win those games, and they did.

And our Birds are extending that brain for 3 more years!

(The O's were in the postseason. The Skins dance tonight. Maryland hoops is back where they should be. The lockout is over. The Terps in football had some promise. And the Wiz...well... they try. Not bad to be a fan of area teams.)

Archived