Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2012 Baltimore Orioles Thread

Hitman21ST

Unless Matusz wants to start again, I don't see any reason for him not to be in the bullpen next season. That gives the O's two strong lefties in Patton and Matusz out of the pen.

Buck said during an interview that we're starting him off as a starter in ST. It's much easier for his arm to move from SP to BP than it would be to switch from BP to SP. In other words, it won't hurt him at all to start off as a SP.

No way we should ever even consider trading Bundy for hitting. Pitching wins during the regular season and in the playoffs.

I understand your thoughts, and trading Bundy would be painful. that being said, he is a PROSPECT and has done nothing in the bigs. Stanton is proven and is already one of the best hitters in the game. Would it be painful...Absolutely....but yea i would trade Bundy for Stanton

---------- Post added November-27th-2012 at 11:03 AM ----------

Is Butler on the block?

they said they would listen on anyone, and want starting pitching. looks like they are going after Lester though, so i am not sure if they get him how desperate they would be for more. meaning that they might not be as inclined to move Butler

---------- Post added November-27th-2012 at 11:04 AM ----------

I had read that he was available.

I dont think he is....i just think hes pissed off about the firesale and ppl are calling for him. You never know though with the Marlins

I had read that he was available.

Damn. There's probably zero chance they'd trade him within the division so no hope for my Nats, but if you all can get him, jump on that ASAP. He's the truth. The real deal. All things being equal (compensation wise, which it isn't), I'd take him over Hamilton.

I dont think he is....i just think hes pissed off about the firesale and ppl are calling for him. You never know though with the Marlins

This. Stanton is very unhappy (any competitor would be), but I would be shocked if he went anywhere. He is a stud, is cheap and is under team control for a while still. If they were to trade him, they would clean out someone's farm system, and I don't think that would be wise. But I would be absolutely stunned if he were dealt.

I'm not as concerned with our starting pitching at this time of the year as I was last year at this time. I feel that we have enough depth at starters and the bullpen will get better with Wada returning. I do however, still feel we need that 40 homer guy in the middle of the lineup to protect Jones, Weets and Markakis. We need a big #4 hitter.

I'm not as concerned with our starting pitching at this time of the year as I was last year at this time. I feel that we have enough depth at starters and the bullpen will get better with Wada returning. I do however, still feel we need that 40 homer guy in the middle of the lineup to protect Jones, Weets and Markakis. We need a big #4 hitter.

I feel the same way. I think our pitching is fine, I'd still like to add someone like Edwin Jackson, but if we don't get him it won't be upset. We definitely need a big power guy though.

How about LaRoche? Not quite 40 HRs but still a helluva hitter,helluva fielder, lefty, and more than enough power to bat cleanup, as he was with us. I'll be pretty upset of we lose him. Much more than I was with Dunn bouncing.

I feel the same way. I think our pitching is fine, I'd still like to add someone like Edwin Jackson, but if we don't get him it won't be upset. We definitely need a big power guy though.

Jackson is absolutely maddening. Cool guy so you root for him. And more than enough talent to get your hopes up real high. But he's so damn inconsistent that it drives you crazy. And when he's off he's REALLY off.

How about LaRoche? Not quite 40 HRs but still a helluva hitter,helluva fielder, lefty, and more than enough power to bat cleanup, as he was with us. I'll be pretty upset of we lose him. Much more than I was with Dunn bouncing.

He's a consistant guy, but he'll want more money than he's worth, but he'd probably be my second choice behind Hamilton as far as power guys go.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/03/report-mariners-orioles-targeting-billy-butler/

Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star says both the Mariners and Orioles are showing strong interest in Royals designated hitter Billy Butler.

Dutton sees the Mariners as the more likely trade partner, what with their stockpile of arms that includes Danny Hultzen, Taijuan Walker and James Paxton.

The Orioles also have some arms to deal from, such as Zach Britton and Chris Tillman, but their group isn’t quite as attractive as Seattle’s.

Please let this happen!!

---------- Post added December-3rd-2012 at 01:40 PM ----------

Also interesting: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-fox-trying-to-buy-masn-from-orioles-owner-angelos-20121203,0,7176324.story

Fox has already made a significant move to generate revenue from television customers in the huge Washington D.C./Baltimore market. It owns 49 percent of the Big Ten Network and handles the business operations of the channel that will soon be showing Maryland games.

It may be thinking even bigger. According to John Ourand of the Sports Business Journal, Fox has had negotiations with Peter Angelos about acquiring MASN and the rights to both Orioles and Nationals games.

Though he says the talks have cooled -- and that similar discussions with Comcast stalled -- the most interesting thing Ourand reports is what brought about the move: pressure from Major League Baseball.

MASN formed when MLB wanted to move the Montreal Expos to D.C. Angelos pointed out how much that would hurt his market and eventually leveraged his complaint into a remarkable deal. He owns most of the network, and his decreasing share will eventually bottom out at 67 percent (it's currently at 87).

I spoke with Ourand today, and he said the value of the network could easily be $1 billion.

MLB would push a sale of the network because Angelos -- notoriously stubborn, in case you somehow forgot -- has refused to budge on negotiations with the Nationals concerning how much the team should receive in yearly TV rights. According to The Washington Post, the Nationals have asked for $110 million and the Orioles have offered $34 million.

We need a big bat. We realized this in the playoffs. If we have to trade some pitching, we have to trade some pitching. I don't mind it. Bundy won't be traded. Tillman's value is pretty high right now and while I love him, if he can help us get a big MOO bat that we've dreamed about for years, I'm for trading him. Sounds crazy to say compared to just a year ago, but we have a surplus of arms right now. We can't be afraid to see what we can get with those arms. Britton and Arrieta are my prefered guys to trade.

Archived