Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2012 Baltimore Orioles Thread

Hitman21ST

Yeah, that's nice, but for once I'd like one of my teams to be on the other side of a congratulations.

We were...93 times during the regular season and again in the wild card game (not to mention that we took 2 games in the LDS). Only one team wins it all each year.

---------- Post added October-13th-2012 at 12:42 AM ----------

Well, fellas, looks like a beltway series wasn't meant to be this year. Just wanted to pop in and congratulate your O's. You face a giant and you went the distance.

Thanks...I am proud of my O's. There was a re-birth of baseball in this region with both teams playing meaningful games a year or two ahead of schedule!

Looking forward to more O's vs Nat's games. Loved the park in DC but nothing is better than OPACY, imo.

Same here...this year was pretty even as we both took huge strides in 2012. We won the head to head matchups (4-2) but they won more games and their division. We both advanced to the same round/game in the playoffs.

It's a nice little interleague rivalry, if not for the players or organizations but for the fans.

I have to admit, while I've hated the O's in the past, I found myself admiring that Orioles Magic this season.

It really was a fun and magical year.

We had one advantage over the Nats in that we were chasing all year...that meant that all 3 playoff wins (and even qualifying for the playoffs) was gravy. By June or July, it was clear that the Nats were the class of the NL and would have more pressure.

No offense, but a lot of you guys accept losing way too easy.

And I have my opinions about how you react to losing. When a team beats expert projections by 20+ games, exceeds all its fans' expectations, and provides 6 months worth of incredible moments, it's pretty ignorant to complain that they didn't win a championship! That's the way I'd expect a kid to process this season.

A productive RBI guy is key. Doesn't matter what his average is or how many homeruns he hits. Can he drive guys in.

Gotta take pressure off of AJ. I feel like he has to do way too much.

Agreed. We've needed such a bat for a very, very long time. We're supposedly going hard after Hamilton. I freaking love that! Our lineup would be lethal if we added him IMO.

Of those players, only Hamilton is a FA. No reason to sign shields or any starting pitcher for that matter.

I must have been looking at an old link, because I see a lot of great free agents this year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/912436-mlb-free-agency-2013-top-50-players-available-in-next-years-monster-crop/page/40

I disagree on Shields and the need for starting pitching. Bundy will start in the minors and be up at some point. Gausman is an unknown. If he pitches well, I can see him up next year. Will Gonzales and Hammels repeat this years performance? Can Matusz and Arieta bounce back and turn their bullpen success into success in the rotation? Will Britton develop into a top of the rotation guy? Has Tillman finally arrived? I would rather have a proven guy leading this young rotation to take the pressure off of them.

---------- Post added October-13th-2012 at 08:51 AM ----------

Agreed. We've needed such a bat for a very, very long time. We're supposedly going hard after Hamilton. I freaking love that! Our lineup would be lethal if we added him IMO.

Are the O's going after him? Or are the fans trying to will that to happen?

I'd love to sign Hamilton, but it would have to be huge dollars for a short time. Like 3/75. He may be 32 chronologically, but with the injuries and drug abuse, he's already closer to 40. He may be out of baseball shortly after 35.

So I guess we're looking for a LF and a 2b for next year. Maybe they try for a McLouth (if returning)/Reimold/Hoes/Avery platoon?

I think Reynolds get's his option picked up. While he didn't have a great year, he was spectacular in the field.

Hammel, Chen, Gonzo, Tillman likely rotation locks. Saunders a FA with local ties, so maybe... Other options include Arrieta (MRP/SU option), Matusz (Loogy/SU option), Britton, Johnson, and Bundy. Not a cast of work beaters, but a collection of guys who will give the O's a chance to win every night.

Strop, Patton, JJ, O'Day, Wada (hurt this year, could be a sneaky surprise next), maybe a FA, then losers in the 5th starter race.

Maybe trade some pitching depth for a second baseman? Maybe target Stephen Drew to play 2b instead of SS?

We'll see! Wait till next year!

?

None of us play for the team. I don't think it matters how we feel about losing.

That's what's great about being a fan. You can have moral victories, look ahead 4 games, etc. I don't do any of that in my job.

This was a dream season. As a LONG suffering O's fan, I was going to be proud of this team no matter the outcome of game 5. While the loss hurt, I actually have an optimistic feeling going into next year. When was the last time you could honestly say that as an O's fan? 1996...1997? These guys battled every game and looked liked they belonged.

Wish spring training was tomorrow...that's how jazzed up I am about getting the 2013 started.

Wish spring training was tomorrow...that's how jazzed up I am about getting the 2013 started.

That's how I feel too. I certainly could use the break from a psychological standpoint...meaningful baseball is a grind! But I finally understand how some of my friends (Sox and Yankee fans) were instantly pining for spring training in November! If nothing else, this season balanced me into loving both my childhood teams again! Can't wait to devote all of my attention to the Skins for a while but I will be ready to go in February!

What exactly do you want people's reaction to be to sports? Let's all throw our remotes and be pissed at the world. The O's had a great year and there isn't a soul who posts here regularly that didn't want us to win last night. That being said, we are enjoying the fact that for the first time in many many years, we weren't just playing the spoiler and we weren't talking about which free agents to go after in July.

I won't speak for anybody but me. But living near Pittsburgh I was in prime position to see the Pirates collapse. 19 straight losing seasons going into this year, they were 16 games over .500 in August, in the chase for the division title, or at worse a WC spot. Then, they completely collapsed. McCutchen got cold, and the team sank. from 16 games over .500 to a losing record for the 20th straight year. Only team in MLB history to be that much over .500 that late in the year and have a losing record.

Was this season perfect? Hell no. We had the AL East within reach until the final series against the Rays, but just couldn't pull it out. 75-0 leading after 7, 16 straight extra inning wins, etc. I fully hoped Oriole magic would continue into the post season. I wanted so badly to be THAT team, and take it all. But unfortunately, it was not to be. For whatever reason, our bats fell dormant and we scored 9 runs in 5 games in the ALDS. Our pitching was outstanding outside of that final inning of game 1, but our bats just couldn't do their job. Nerves, inexperience, whatever the case may be, they just failed.

BUT: We beat the freaking Rangers, IN TEXAS, with a guy (Saunders) who had never won there to get into the postseason. Took the Yankees all the way to game 5, and still had a chance in that one until the very end. Sadly, not every Cinderella gets to go to the ball. Do I like losing to the ****ing Yankees in the playoffs again? Hell no. Am I thrilled that a team with 14 straight losing seasons, that was expected to lose 100 games and finish dead last in the division, possibly the whole league, managed to get as far as they did? In retrospect I absolutely am.

I don't like the loss. I don't like losing. But I can recognize progress and be content with the major strides made this season.

Maybe that was the wrong thing to say about people taking losing to easy, but when you're happy with just making the playoffs and not winning the whole thing, that comes across as if losing in somehow acceptable because you won a lot of games. True champions are not satisfied with just having a good season. True champions aren't satisfied until they win it all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're FINALLY in the position to have a chance to win a championship, but I'm far from being satisfied.

DM, when I PLAYED sports I had your mentality. But we are fans, not players. I want the losses to piss the players off so that they burn to achieve more. We watch and analyze...that's why I can safely look ahead to the Skins

/Cowboy matchup and project outcomes. I can't overlook an opponent or take a loss too passively.

Coaches and players need that fire to become a champion. Fans will never be a champion, only experience a championship season or team. That's the distinction to me.

Archived