Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2012 Baltimore Orioles Thread

Hitman21ST

It's hard to be lucky in baseball for an entire season. In football, sure, you're only playing 16 games. But over 162 game season, it's tough to have everything break your way day-in and day-out. The O's won with a very good bullpen, maybe of the better bullpens in baseball over the last few years. Sure we won of ton of close games, but that was due to great pitching and timely hitting.

But do you guys really believe we're gonna win all those one run games in 2013 as we did last year? Not a big fan of Reynolds, but we have yet to replace his 20 HR.

We did absolutely nothing this offseason.

But do you guys really believe we're gonna win all those one run games in 2013 as we did last year? Not a big fan of Reynolds, but we have yet to replace his 20 HR.

Reynolds is really easy to replace. He had one 9 game streak of being amazing and 152 games of being terrible.

No idea. But we didn't lose much this offseason so who knows.

I was a little sad to see Reynolds go, but he's far from irreplaceable. He was a very streak hitter, who when he was hot, was HOT. But when he was cold, he was ice cold.

As far as moves this offseason, what moves were there to make? I don't think Hamilton was coming here and there weren't really any other big bats out there. Yeah it would've been nice to trade for someone like Billy Butler, but we don't know if there was ever a chance of that really happening. We still have a ton of pitching, so there is always a chance we make a trade during the season. But I think we'll be right in the thick of things again this season. The Red Sox are in rebuild mode, the Yankees are getting older, the Jays just went all-in so we'll see how that works, and the Rays are the Rays. No reason we can't compete.

Typically bullpen performance isn't strongly correlated year to year, so I think it would be very difficult to win in the same fashion as last year. However, with the continued improvement of mainstays like Jones and Wieters, young pitchers like Britton, Gonzalez, Tillman, and Matusz, and up and comers like Machado and Bundy, we may be able to improve through experience in other ways.

Typically bullpen performance isn't strongly correlated year to year, so I think it would be very difficult to win in the same fashion as last year. However, with the continued improvement of mainstays like Jones and Wieters, young pitchers like Britton, Gonzalez, Tillman, and Matusz, and up and comers like Machado and Bundy, we may be able to improve through experience in other ways.

You're right, it's hard for bullpen guys to maintain from year to year it seems. But like you said, if we get improvements from Jones, Wieters, Hardy, Machado, Davis, and Markakis, that should certainly help. Plus the young pitchers should also improve. Like I said, we'll certainly be in the mix this year. Playoffs? Maybe. But we should be competitive.

I only see our team improving. There isn't one player where you go, "oh he's over the hill." Tons of youth and talent. The arms are there. I see around 90 wins again.

As far as the extra innings thing, those games weren't handed to us. We won them. I don't believe in "lucky wins." Unless the opposing pitcher throws four straight wild pitches with a runner on base or a fly ball bounces off the head of the outfielder over the fence.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived