Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

I think anyone who really wants Peyton is going to have to wait until after the draft. He maybe medically cleared to played but his nerves haven't healed. We still don't know and probably won't know until later in the year if he can even throw again. Will his arm be the same.

Anyone that signs him before they know his status is taking a big risk. Peyton will probably be a Plan B for whoever signs him. I don't want to be the team that bets everything on Peyton being the 2012 starter and don't have an alternate ready in case he can't go.

Haha, so there is a Haslett impersonator in Virginia who loves messing with Redskins fans :ols:

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 08:44 PM ----------

I think anyone who really wants Peyton is going to have to wait until after the draft. He maybe medically cleared to played but his nerves haven't healed. We still don't know and probably won't know until later in the year if he can even throw again. Will his arm be the same.

I'm sure some team will put a clause in his contract.

JSteelz just posted this on Twitter

"n the chase is on"

Speculation is going to run rampant now. I have no idea what it actually means, but I am thinking we will hear something by the end of the week.

So say the competition is Ross and Miami who have been proclaimed by many media outlets to have infactuation for Manning -

Right now Skins are looking at ~94mil against an unknown 2012 cap but everyone is estimating ~$121 - $125mil. Miami is ~ $117mil. Each team gets back an unused portion from 2011, said to be $13.6mil for Skins and $3mil for Phins. The teams have to put aside $5mil for rookies. Also, Solari (NT) was tagged last year. If they didn't get a long term on him and tagged him again it'd be $15 mil right off the cap.

If Manning is going to do an incentive based, where exampled by Schefter on Mike & Mike this morning, say a $10mil start of the season with $5mil starting 8 games and additional $5mil at 16 games - can the Phins really afford Manning? I mean any incentive based deal counts as "likely to be earned" in that cap year whether it happens or not.

You'd think besides the above, the Phins would be pretty strapped to do anything in FA as well.

Just came in from Tandler:

http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/redskins-talk/post/Buzz-building-for-Manning-to-Redskins?blockID=647430&feedID=10376

Mike Freeman, columnist for CBSsports.com and about as well wired into the NFL as anyone, dropped this into his post today:

Speaking of Peyton, everyone I speak to in the NFL -- and I mean just about everyone -- believes if Manning becomes a free agent, the Washington Redskins will sign him.

Click on the link to read the entire article

Oh lordy. Here we go again...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/peyton-manning-washington-redskins-should-get-him-as-soon-as-hes-available/2012/02/08/gIQAg0nRzQ_story.html?hpid=z7

Do it. Get him. Whatever must be done, however much the Redskins have to pay or promise to bring Peyton Manning to Washington, they should offer it. This is one instance in which Dan Snyder needs to be the Dan Snyder we used to know, the check-writer with a signature on the bottom flashier than a fountain.

Joe Theismann is wrong that it is a “horrific idea” to go after Manning. This isn’t some impulsive grab at a big name jersey. Manning has absolutely nothing in common with the fat and happy Redskins free agent disasters of the past. “Haven’t we done this before?” Theismann asks. Actually, no. We are talking about a player who, even if his 36-year-old arm is weakened, will instantly elevate the team, franchise, and by extension the entire city with his competitive character.

Aren't you the one who almost never had a kind word for Dan Snyder and the way he did business? But, now it is OK because it happens to be a player you really like?

Granted, such a move wouldn't be quite as bad as the McNabb trade, in that you aren't trading your future for him. (Or, at least you shouldn't. Manning should only be an option to this team if he's a FA.) But, this is a team that still needs a lot of pieces to be a consistant winner. QB is only one piece.

:puke: Joe Theismann and I are the same page. No thank you.

The is also the rep the Redskins have earned. Any big FA hits the market or is about to, they will get linked to the Redskins.

My feelings exactly. I'm tired of stop-gap players lasting 2-3 years. Lets get one of our own and grow. Stop-gap players is what has gotten us 20 years of futility. No thanks.

Archived