Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

Either this is a complete and utter MASSIVE smokescreen, some sort of sick joke by Rodskins, or Hogs Haven just got the scoop of the CENTURY..

While attending my daughter's club volleyball tournament at the Hampton Roads Coliseum and Conference Center, I met and talked with Jim Haslett. He was there with his daughter's team as well, and we were both staying at the Embassy Suits adjacent to Conference Center. Early Saturday morning, while teams and families were eating the amazing breakfast buffet, I caught out of the corner of my eye Jim Haslett. It couldn't be. When it comes to celebrities, I am never that lucky. Having finished breakfast, I thought, do I continue on my way out, or do I rudely interrupt breakfast with his family. As I proceeded to leave the building, Hogs Haven brethren came to mind, and I realized I must risk shame and embarrassment for the greater good. At least we did have one thing in common, our daughters played club volleyball.

As I approached his table, I asked if he were Jim Haslett. He answered in the affirmative and I continued by telling him that minus Chief Zee or iH8dallas, I was the Redskins number 1 fan and that it was a great honor to meet him. Well not only did he stand up to shake my hand, but he also introduced me to his wife, and we talked briefly about our daughters volleyball teams and how they were doing in the tournament.

So enough of the small talk, I had to know what the front office plans were for the draft. Here's a list of what I learned from our conversation:

They are not interested in Matt Flynn. I am eating major crow here. I have written several posts outlining why I was convinced that Matt Flynn was going to be the Redskins next QB. I am here to tell you I am no Nostradamus. When I asked about Flynn, he said he was a below average QB coming out of college with poor arm strength, balls hitting the ground, etc. The sense around the front office is that he did little to erase that perception and that his success against the Lions on January 1, 2012 was more of an anomaly than the norm.

Click here for the rest.

I don't know if Jim Haslett would ever actually reveal 3/4's of this stuff, but if it's true...holy crap.

I saw this too and posted it in two threads, wild stuff, but somewhat consistent with the type of rumors floating out there. We've heard pretty mixed at best stuff about their interest in Flynn. Peyton rumors have been hot for ahwile. Some RG talk has been out there. really no leaks about the Skins dying to land Foles or Tannehill, etc.

I'm gonna take all of this with an extremely large grain of salt. I really have a hard time seeing Haslett blabbing about the Skins plans for FA and the draft in such specific detail. If that stuff is actually true, Shanny is going to have his head on a pike in front of Redskins Park soon for divulging so much.

Its all very interesting.

BUT, I have serious trouble believing Haslett would devulge the Redskins offseason plan to some random fan at a volleyball tourney

That's what I'm saying. It could turn out to all be a massive joke or something. I have trouble thinking Haz would come out and say all this as well.

Still, on the slim chance this actually DID occur, and Haz does have a huge mouth and blabbed all this stuff? Not to mention that Hogs Haven would irreparably damage their credibility to publishing and publicizing something on this scale...

Assuming Has said this, what did he say that we dont know? We know we werent into Flynn, and were into Manning. We know we were/are discussing a trade with the Rams. We knew the staff likes Rex while needing he needs to be upgraded.

The only news is that they do not like anyone outside RG3 or Luck, which is a bit of a surprise. I figured they liked Tannehill somewhat.

I'm starting to think that Shanny/Allen's standing orders to all upperish level redskins officials (Both football and operations) is to make stuff up and act as if it was the big secret truth whenever possible. What better way to make a nice smokescreen than tell people to feel out who they are talking to and then say no, we are going in the complete opposite direction from that.

I understand being furtive about a diamond in the rough prospect that we're hoping falls to a later round, but I didn't see much there that didn't make a lot of sense.

Flynn was a 7th round pick for a reason. He's on the radar to the sports community at large mainly because of that Lions game. It doesn't make that much sense that we'd let one game have that much of an impact.

We can also understand his disappointment in the QB class. I was wrong here as well... I thought it was going to be a legendary year. If Barkley and Jones had declared I think we'd be a bit more excited about the class.

The Rams have openly talked about trading down and I'm sure we're going to explore both trading up and down.

If you've been looking for a franchise QB for 20 years, when Peyton Manning is about to be available as a free agent, you're at least interested pending more information.

I don't see him giving away anything that wasn't already known in league circles. If he said that we loved some corner out of Nowhere State and we were hoping to steal him in the 6th round, then I'd be extremely skeptical or annoyed that he's spilling the beans.

I simply don't believe what teams officials say this time of year.

1. He's telling the truth

2. He's lying

3. He's telling the truth thinking people will believe he's lying

4. He's lying to fool people into think we're interested

5. All of the above

6. None of the above

7. I like pancakes

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but is it possible that the Redskins organization is the source of this story - leaking it onto the internet to throw a smoke screen up. I'm not sure I believe that Haslett would just give up this information about the inner-thinking of the organization. However, this sounds like something the FO would put out there to throw a head fake at other teams. Now, they're probably like WTF? :)

Normally, any scoop that begins with "While attending my daughter's club volleyball tournament at the Hampton Roads Coliseum and Conference Center, I met and talked with Jim Haslett" should be met with widespread scorn and dismissal

But there's really no reason for any person in this party to lie... I think it's obvious that Haslett never believed in this moment that the subject matter of the conversation would ever wind up on the internet, reach a widespread audience, etc. On this level, it's probably extremely wrong Rodskins to have posted what he did, betraying the trust and confidence of a man who was so willing to give up his time to a stranger.

But hey, it's fascinating stuff, though not particularly earth-shattering, and most of which has already been reported... just not from such a primary source

I undersand the sentiment of what some of you have said here so far but with that said I'm not so sure it's a fabrication. I mean aside from the possible inside point of view on Flynn the rest isn't exactly earthshattering or for that matter breaking news. I mean regardless of the opinions on this forum if Peyton turns out to be healthy I don't think anyone expects that the skins wouldn't kick the tires on and probably make a bid for him. As far as RGIII goes the idea that we might trade up for him wouldn't catch anyone by surprise even if everyone involved kept it double plus top secret. So hearing it from the top might feel a little strange but isn't letting anything on than was the common thought anyways. In the end the proof will be in the proverbial pudding. Til then even this is just some pleasant "football talk".

Haslett didn't say anything surprising or shocking, but that article was a fun read. This is all stuff that has been speculated. Lavarleap said a while back that we had interest in Peyton and that we didn't like Flynn. If anything new was learned, is that they don't like the lower tier college QBs. April can't get here soon enough.

Its actually pretty on point and what has been given to you guys for awhile but refuse to listen. Skins internal grade on Flynn is poor as I have been saying for weeks. Skins grade on Orton is a no thanks unless Rex acts a fool. Everyone here knows what I have said about 18 and RG3 and when its all said and done one of them will be here. peace

Well it may all be true but that doesn't mean it's all going to happen. I have a hard time seeing the Redskins having Peyton Manning, RG3 and Sexy Rexy the roster next year. Let's say we are interested in Peypey but can't get him, maybe we do trade up to 2 for RG3. No matter how it all pans out, I really hope we have a QB that can beat out Rex by opening day.

Archived