Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

How many years have we needed O-linemen and not addressed it?

"Sacks and stuff" will be a stain on this team for decades. But I think Shanahan has to fix the QB situation either this year or next. But if he waits until next year, then the final 2 years of his tenure will be defined by how well that rookie does, and that may only get 1 mediocre year of QB play from a sophomore player to judge his 2nd go-round.

I don't know Mike Shanahan personally, but he certainly seems to have an ego. Something tells me he's really eager to prove that it was him, not Elway or Montana or whoever, that made all those SB wins of his possible. Especially after McNabb blew up in his face. But that's just me blowing smoke knowing almost nothing about the situation, so obviously take it with a huge grain of salt.

I'm warming to the possibility. Trading up for RG3 at a reasonable cost would be my first choice, but if that won't happen then I'm down with Manning.

Luck I can see going after. He has the body of work. Who here knew about RG3 last year? That scares the crap out of me. As Sheehan pointed out he's not even 6'2. And he doesn't have anywhere near the body that Cam Newton has. He will get roughed up in the NFL. I worry that he could be like Vick who's talented as hell but can't stay on the field for a season.

Personally, I'd rather see the Redskins take their chances with Peyton. Keep draft choices and trade down if Blackmon isn't available. Then pick up either Tannehill, Foles or someone else we may not have even thought of (Shanny pulled Cutler out from everyone elses noses). Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday and probably Garcon would come along as well. Peyton would have an improved running game to choose from. Protection would be better as pointed out.

I really disagree that this move would set the franchise back. If there were draft picks involved? Then yes, it could have that potential; as it did with the McNabb fiasco. In this deal all they'd be risking would be money. Dan's money. Which we the fans empower him with. I think MS learned from the Patriots how important it is to build the core of your team with the draft. This would allow the Redskins the luxury of listening to trade offers on Draft day; i.e. trading down to add more picks. This team still has a lot of needs. I really like what happened with last years draft and I trust them to pick the right players.

I don't see a legitimate downside here.

And we aren't talking about a free agent like Albert Haynesworth here, it's Peyton Manning. Even at 50%, he's lightyears better than a 100% Grossman. Low Risk, Very High Reward IMO

Wrong! You do realize signing Manning brings expectations of a 10-6 season, right? What happens if that doesn't happen.

You realize what kind of circus this could turn into? Risk of ruining the re-build is very high. This has to be thought out hard and carefully.

Wrong! You do realize signing Manning brings expectations of a 10-6 season, right? What happens if that doesn't happen.

You realize what kind of circus this could turn into? Risk of ruining the re-build is very high. This has to be thought out hard and carefully.

You also have to think...with Peyton, we're looking at quite a few additional wins from this past year (Cowboys x2, Eagles 1, Miami, Minnesota, Patriots) - Those are all Rex games - games we turned the ball over and could have won, not including the horrendous games offensively that we had with Beck

We weren't far off from being a 10-6 team this year...

My only question will be, will he want us to install his old offense, or will he be willing to learn a new one?

That's pretty much it. If he's willing to come in and learn a new offense and let the coaching staff do what they want, I've got no problem with it. However, I'm not sure that it will happen that way. The guy has pretty much run the offense in Indy for quite a while now, I'd bet he would like to get the same treatment where ever he goes.

This is another reason I don't think Shanahan will sign him, but who knows.

My only question will be, will he want us to install his old offense, or will he be willing to learn a new one?

That's pretty much it. If he's willing to come in and learn a new offense and let the coaching staff do what they want, I've got no problem with it. However, I'm not sure that it will happen that way. The guy has pretty much run the offense in Indy for quite a while now, I'd bet he would like to get the same treatment where ever he goes.

I think people overestimate what Peyton did on offense. Yes he had the ability to make any change at the line as he saw fit, but for the most part he followed the game plan that Tom Moore, and later Clyde Christensen planned out. The way the Colts offense would work is that they would call in 3 plays to Peyton every down....2 pass and 1 run, and he would choose which play he felt was best, or audible out if he saw something unexpected before the snap.

He would need to have full control of the offense if he needed to, but most importantly, he needs to work with an OC that shares his vision. I don't think booger shanahan is that person.....of course I could be wrong.

And we aren't talking about a free agent like Albert Haynesworth here, it's Peyton Manning. Even at 50%, he's lightyears better than a 100% Grossman. Low Risk, Very High Reward IMO

My concern is that at most you have 3 years of very good QB play with Manning. Then what do we do at QB? Right now we have a blue chip prospect (RG3) within our grasp, which could give us 12+ years of solid QBing. Manning is very short term. While it would be fun to watch for two years, after that, we might end up like the Vikings after Favre if we don't have a legit young QB of the future on the roster.

I would be thrilled if we got both Manning and RG3.

My concern is that at most you have 3 years of very good QB play with Manning. Then what do we do at QB? Right now we have a blue chip prospect (RG3) within our grasp, which could give us 12+ years of solid QBing. Manning is very short term. While it would be fun to watch for two years, after that, we might end up like the Vikings after Favre if we don't have a legit young QB of the future on the roster.

Exactly.

Manning would take us out of position for a top tier QB. Hell we did that ourselves this year with Rex starting and somehow the Giants laying down for us along with AA's catch vs Seattle. Completely shot ourselves in the foot.

If our trade attempts UP to get RG3 fail, trade down and get a 1st rounder next year. Lets be the Cleveland of the 2013 draft. Believe me, I want an f'ng QB bad but due to our own mistakes we find ourselves in the worst possible position in this draft. Lets set ourselves up for the draft next year and continue to build the team some more

And for god sakes don't bring in the circus that would be Peyton Manning

He would need to have full control of the offense if he needed to, but most importantly, he needs to work with an OC that shares his vision. I don't think booger shanahan is that person.....of course I could be wrong.

This point was brought up to Steve Young. Steve Young said Shanahan is not a control freak if he really trusts the QB. Young said he let Elway do what he wanted for the most part. He said Shanahan is only a control freak when he's dealing with a QB he doesn't trust. So if what Young says is true, Peyton would be able to run the offense for the most part, unlike Rex Grossman, who is given strict orders.

This point was brought up to Steve Young. Steve Young said Shanahan is not a control freak if he really trusts the QB. Young said he let Elway do what he wanted for the most part. He said Shanahan is only a control freak when he's dealing with a QB he doesn't trust. So if what Young says is true, Peyton would be able to run the offense for the most part, unlike Rex Grossman, who is given strict orders.

As it is in 99 percent of the world when you have a coach-player, boss-employee relationship.

Bosses that trust their employees are much more lax then those who don't

From my latest PM Musings on SOW

brace-yourself1.jpg

All right people, unless you have been living under a rock for the past few days you have undoubtedly heard the rumors about Peyton Manning to the Skins.

If you haven’t heard about this lets get you up to speed.

Everyone alive believes Peyton Manning will be the Redskins QB. . . everyone caught up now? Good.

Last week I did a piece on a few reasons I believed Peyton is a bad fit. One of our readers made some REALLY good arguments as to why I am a complete idiot.

In honesty they were fair points but I still have some concerns about the move, but those points have been made so today I stand on a totally different soap box.

If you are to believe the seemingly infinite number of rumors from fans, ESPN, random twitters, and most recently today CBS sports the deal is all but done (which is just odd because the Super Bowl was played less than a week ago).

The fact of the matter is that these rumors are not going to go away until either Manning is released and signed elsewhere or the Skins flat out say its hogwash (which they won’t do because if it’s smoke its very good smoke). So let’s all just stop the complaining about whether we want him here or not OK?

I do have a few interesting points to make on the subject:

1. I have heard from a growing number of people that Peyton is in fact the leak that he personnel department was overheard speaking of. So there is that. . . mystery over.

2. Peyton Manning as a vested veteran would be eligible to sign with whoever he wants before the start of free agency assuming he is cut before the start of free agency. This is pretty much the exact same situation we saw last year with OJ Atogwe. The Rams let him go in order to not take the cap hit for the 2011 season, likewise the Colts have the sme deadline to meet in order to avoid paying Peyton what we will just call a FREAK LOAD of money this year.

Continue Reading Here

Exactly.

Manning would take us out of position for a top tier QB. Hell we did that ourselves this year with Rex starting and somehow the Giants laying down for us along with AA's catch vs Seattle. Completely shot ourselves in the foot.

If our trade attempts UP to get RG3 fail, trade down and get a 1st rounder next year. Lets be the Cleveland of the 2013 draft. Believe me, I want an f'ng QB bad but due to our own mistakes we find ourselves in the worst possible position in this draft. Lets set ourselves up for the draft next year and continue to build the team some more

And for god sakes don't bring in the circus that would be Peyton Manning

What if Mike and Kyle believe in Manning and Tannehill? If they believe Tannehill (or some other QB in the draft) has top tier potential, then I say go for Manning and let him teach for 2 or 3 years. To many people are going to be way to negative without even giving it a shot. I think Mike and Kyle are better judges of QB's than most of us are. I really think Shanny and Allen are taking us in the right direction. Drafts have been much better lately. The team seems to have more heart than in the past and they have been getting rid of malcontents.

I am not going to stress either way. If they go for Manning, I will root for that and if they go for RG3, I will root for that too.

I will say that Twitter has been really interesting all day and I kept my phone laying on my desk vs keeping it in my pocket like usual. It's going to be a fun off season no matter what happens.

The problem is the Manning decision will probably happen before the draft. So if we don't get Manning, then its either Luck, RGIII, or Tannehill. Not the other way around.

Not a problem at all. You find out the price for #2, then decide if it's worth it. If not, sign Manning.

Or... If Manning signs with Arizona, bite the bullet and trade the house.

Maybe these rumors are the chase... for RGIII. Get another QB needy team to act big and act fast to get Manning to eliminate them from our real target. If Miami steps up for Manning, that's a big team out of the way for RGIII. Rinse and repeat the process with Flynn to get Cleveland to commit early in free agency. You probably still need to trade up to get RGIII, but you probably also lower the price by eliminating your two biggest QB needy teams.

Manning not “throwing like an NFL quarterback yet”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/08/kravitz-manning-not-throwing-like-an-nfl-quarterback-yet/

This is where we are in February with Peyton Manning. He can play again, but he may only be able to play like a late career Chad Pennington. Kravitz used the phrase “noodle arm” to describe Manning’s throwing. No one knows how much that will change by August.

I appreciate what you are saying here but I think another year of rex will destroy the rebuild... It's become quite clear that we cant win on a consistent basis with Grossman.. As for Beck he probably doesnt belong in the NFL.

If we are going to bring in Peyton Manning, then we need to take advantage of what Peyton does best which is giving him alot of control over the offense and give him freedom to adjust as he walks up to the line.

The best idea situation for us would be to sing Peyton Manning and also bring along some pieces from the Colts like Wayne, Garcon, and Saturday to build the offensive chemistry as quickly as possible.

After that we can just sit at where we are at and see how the draft plays out. Who knows maybe Blackmon or RG3 drops to us. Either way this would be the best scenario in my mind.

I appreciate what you are saying here but I think another year of rex will destroy the rebuild... It's become quite clear that we cant win on a consistent basis with Grossman.. As for Beck he probably doesnt belong in the NFL.

This isn't about Grossman or Beck. Beck to me is done. Grossman will be considered after the draft.

I still think we get RG3 even if we get PM.

But lets say we do get PM....this team will be expected to go 10-6. Regardless of if we get RG3 or not. Thats what his name and history alone brings.

Are we a team ready to compete for those expectations? Do we have the talent to live up to those expectations? If we don't, what happens to our fanbase? Our culture?

Lot's of questions that we need to make sure we do our research on. Make sure the long term plan is not affected by signing PM. We saw the circus McNabb brought to the team when it didn't work out.

I am not against PM, just hope that this is done properly and not rushed. After the draft is the best time to me to sign him.

Archived