Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

Why would Peyton Manning have a Pre-signing workout? He ain't no rookie free agent, and he is in demand from many teams. He isn't going to do any workouts before he signs and no team will force him to do one.

If you ask Peyton to do a workout there is a good chance he will say see you later.

Perhaps not a workout, but he'd sure as hell have to pass a physical, like every other player does before getting signed/traded in the NFL. Now part of this physical may require him to throw a handful of passes and not a full-on workout, but no team would just sign Manning without getting a look at him arm strength/accuracy first.

Just did a quick google search of what is an NFL physical. Surprisingly throwing a football isn't included.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_criteria_for_passing_an_NFL_physical

Not sure how accruate that is, but it was a quick search and it's consistent with what I have read in other sports. The closest we get to arm strength is range of motion.

I have a strong doubt throwing a football is included in that. And if I am Peyton, I wouldn't throw for any team.

Just did a quick google search of what is an NFL physical. Surprisingly throwing a football isn't included.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_criteria_for_passing_an_NFL_physical

Not sure how accruate that is, but it was a quick search and it's consistent with what I have read in other sports. The closest we get to arm strength is range of motion.

I have a strong doubt throwing a football is included in that. And if I am Peyton, I wouldn't throw for any team.

I didn't say it was standard, it wast just a hunch about what teams will require. Sure, Peyton could refuse to throw for teams if he knows his arm is still weak and hope some team takes a gamble on him. I wouldn't blame Manning 1 bit for refusing to do any workouts. But at the same time, that will weaken his bargaining position a little bit and cause him to have a smaller range of teams bidding for him, with probably a lower ceiling.

Obviously, I don't speak for any NFL teams. I'm just saying that if I were in a front office somewhere, I'd want Manning to pass his physical, and then throw a handful of passes to see if he's back to normal. If Peyton refused to throw a dozen or so passes despite my interest in him, then I'd have some reservations about throwing money at him. I know he's mentioned taking a contract with a low signing bonus that is laden with incentive money, and that Peyton is well within his right to refuse to do any type of physical activity with a team, but I just don't see why he'd take that type of financial hit unless he knows he's not 100%.

So yes, Peyton Manning would never be required to throw a football to pass a physical. And he's probably very smart to not throw before a team signs him to a contract. I'm just saying that if that's the case, then the FO's looking at him hold the high card in any negotiation at that point. I supposed if all he wants is 1-2 more years to prove himself then that's fine, but he's taking a gamble with that approach.

it wont weaken his bargaining position. Rex Ryan was gushing over him last year even tho he was out for the season injured.

Look at how us Redskins fans are gushing over the possibility of him playing.

Peyton's resume is his bargaining power. No one wants to be the team to say no to Peyton Manning and then have the possibility of it coming back to bite you in the ass.

The same thing happened to Drew Brees when he left San Diego. Not near the same class as Peyton at that time but he didnt get looks because he wouldnt throw the ball and teams were leery about his injury. The teams that passed on him look back in regret now, especially Miami.

On top of that, there are maybe 11-12 competent QBs in the NFL not including Peyton. Teams are going that need a QB will go after Peyton whether he throws or not and give him what he wants.

The same thing happened to Drew Brees when he left San Diego. Not near the same class as Peyton at that time but he didnt get looks because he wouldnt throw the ball and teams were leery about his injury. The teams that passed on him look back in regret now, especially Miami.

I thought about Drew Brees during my last post, but decided against bringing him up for 3 reasons:

1. Drew Brees was only about 26 when he became a FA (not sure his exact age, but I think that's close).

2. He tore his shoulder labrum. While that's a bad injury, especially since it happened in the last game of the season right before FA started, it wasn't considered career ending.

3. Don't forget that only 2-3 teams actually targetted Drew Brees in FA after his injury. Miami turned him down for Daunte freaking Culpepper coming off a knee injury, and NO was the only other team to make him a serious offer.

Yes, Brees did not have the history of play that Manning does when going injured into FA, but Brees was also a decade younger with a lot more promise ahead of him.

And to be fair, Rex Ryan is a moron, and so are a lot of fans. So those are bad examples to make an argument with. :ols: Yes, people would love if we got Manning. There were also a lot of fans psyched that we got McNabb, and Haynesworth, and every other FA that's busted here. You also see fans who would be pumped to get Randy Moss, or TO, or Kolb/Flynn/Hoyer/backup QB flavor of the week. Hell, I'd bet you could get a handful of posters on here that would be ecstatic if we signed old and always injured Takeo Spikes.

I will agree with you though, Manning's body of work does give him a huge edge in any negotiation. But he's also only going to be seriously targetted by a handful of teams desperate at QB: Us (possibly, if you believe the rumors), Miami, Cleveland, Seattle, or the Jets because of Rex Ryan and nothing else. A healthy Manning would be coveted by half the league. An injured Manning that can't throw a football at better than 50% strength would have 2-3 teams tops calling on him. And for all we know, he could hate those teams/cities and regret the decision. But I don't know.

I still hope he doesn't end up here and we draft a QB. That's my opinion.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36262/outsiders-nfc-east-offseason-needs

(via Bubba's Redskins Breaking News forum)

Washington Redskins: Quarterback. Everyone agrees on this. The question is what to do about it. It'd be easy if they were picking No. 2 in the draft. They'd just take Robert Griffin III and get on with it. But they're not, and they may not be able to get Griffin without completely ignoring their many other needs, so they need to consider other options, which they are. One of those is Peyton Manning, whom Vince describes (as others have) as "a fading star." I don't know why this keeps bothering me so much. Manning has not done any "fading" whatsoever. He was a superstar in his prime two years ago and missed this past year due to injury. If he proves he can throw the way he did in 2010, he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league, and quarterback-needy teams should climb all over each other trying to get him. If he can't, he'll probably retire, which would bring an abrupt end to a brilliant career. But no matter what happens, the guy is not "fading." He's either his old, great self or he's done. If he's done, no one will sign him. If he's not, the Redskins would be foolish to rule it out just because they got Donovan McNabb when he was "fading." These simplistic comparisons are bugging me. Anyway, quarterback, as everyone knows. Sorry. Rant over.

Yeah I read that article and read the Cowboy part, pretty funny. I think the worst secret in the NFL is the Redskins needing a QB. How it plays out is going to be the interesting part. I really want to see how this FO and Morroco Brown handle the draft this year, and the QB need is a big part of that.

Via NFL.com

Jim Irsay has fired first, putting the ball squarely in Peyton Manning's court.

The Colts owner told The Indianapolis Star Tuesday that whether or not Manning wants to return to Indianapolis is up to the four-time NFL MVP.

But, there is a caveat.

Irsay indicated it would take a restructured contract that reflects the uncertainty of the quarterback's recovery from three neck surgeries and the regeneration of the nerves in his throwing arm for Manning to retire with the Colts. Such a deal would likely be heavily structured on incentives and bonuses tied to performance and games played.

"We can make it work if he wants to be here," Irsay told the newspaper Tuesday. "We'd be excited to have him back and finish his career with us.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826f73f9/article/irsay-manning-welcomed-back-but-with-restructured-deal?module=HP11_breaking_news

A few Peyton-related tweets the last hour or so for those interested:

IndianapolisStar @indystar

"Irsay on Manning: 'We would love to have him back."

Andrew Brandt @adbrandt

"Here we go: @JimIrsay: 'We can make it work if he wants to be here.' Translation: not my fault if there's a divorce."

Mike Chappell @mchappell51

"The ball's in #peytonmanning's court. #jimirsay would like to have him back, but it would have to make sense with health, $$$"

Bob Kravitz @bkravitz

"You know how Bill Polian went on radio recently and said Peyton was throwing great last time he saw him -- it was a bald faced lie. Period."

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

"Jim Irsay to John Clayton: 'We want him back. We can work out the contract if he wants to work it out. It's going to be Peyton's call.''"

Dion Caputi @nfldraftupdate

"#Colts owner Jim Irsay is open to Peyton Manning returning, but not at $28M."

Chris Mortensen @mortreport

"Jim Irsay has paid Peyton Manning well but surely he doesn't forget Peyton insisted on 1-year structure w 4-year option to protect Colts."

"Manning also has played every contract to its conclusion. Colts own neurosurgeon told PM 'If you were my own son, I'd tell you to go play.'"

"RT @MrDewMaster: If I'm Peyton I'm (mad) that Irsay went to the press with this. #Colts >> Yep. Whatever happened to face-to-face meeting?"

Sounds like Irsay is looking to push Manning out while trying to avoid the bad-guy role. I would hate to play for an owner who sticks his face in the media as much as he does.

I have to agree, "the Redskins would be foolish to rule it out just because they got Donovan McNabb when he was 'fading.'" We have to at least consider it, but we need to still draft a QB for the future regardless.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Save for the fact that we will get to keep our picks by going to get Manning while we traded several away for DMac.... but we need to look very hard at trading back into the 1st or grabbing a QB with the 2nd round pick to begin the development process if we can secure Manning at a fair price for both parties.

It's almost scary to think what this defense would look like playing with the lead. We only got to see it a few times this year, and when we saw it, Eli and Bradford were ****ting their pants...

It's almost scary to think what this defense would look like playing with the lead. We only got to see it a few times this year, and when we saw it, Eli and Bradford were ****ting their pants...

True story. Especially with a healthy Jarvis Jenkins and another year under their belt. I just pray those in charge make the right choices at QB, and we could be in for some special seasons...

Having the 6th pick in the draft really puts us in a difficult spot because I'm not sure there will be too many opportunities to trade back. I feel that our two choices are to trade up to 2 and get RGIII or we'll have to sit at 6 and take BPA, as much as I'd hate it if we did resort to that. If we can't get Griffin, I'd say the next best scenario is hoping one of the late 1st round quarterbacks falls back to us at 38 in the second round.

I thought about Drew Brees during my last post, but decided against bringing him up for 3 reasons:

1. Drew Brees was only about 26 when he became a FA (not sure his exact age, but I think that's close).

2. He tore his shoulder labrum. While that's a bad injury, especially since it happened in the last game of the season right before FA started, it wasn't considered career ending.

3. Don't forget that only 2-3 teams actually targetted Drew Brees in FA after his injury. Miami turned him down for Daunte freaking Culpepper coming off a knee injury, and NO was the only other team to make him a serious offer.

Yes, Brees did not have the history of play that Manning does when going injured into FA, but Brees was also a decade younger with a lot more promise ahead of him.

And to be fair, Rex Ryan is a moron, and so are a lot of fans. So those are bad examples to make an argument with. :ols: Yes, people would love if we got Manning. There were also a lot of fans psyched that we got McNabb, and Haynesworth, and every other FA that's busted here. You also see fans who would be pumped to get Randy Moss, or TO, or Kolb/Flynn/Hoyer/backup QB flavor of the week. Hell, I'd bet you could get a handful of posters on here that would be ecstatic if we signed old and always injured Takeo Spikes.

I will agree with you though, Manning's body of work does give him a huge edge in any negotiation. But he's also only going to be seriously targetted by a handful of teams desperate at QB: Us (possibly, if you believe the rumors), Miami, Cleveland, Seattle, or the Jets because of Rex Ryan and nothing else. A healthy Manning would be coveted by half the league. An injured Manning that can't throw a football at better than 50% strength would have 2-3 teams tops calling on him. And for all we know, he could hate those teams/cities and regret the decision. But I don't know.

I still hope he doesn't end up here and we draft a QB. That's my opinion.

You failed to mention that Brees had Bradford's injury in college.

Imagine Bradford goes ahead and completely tears the same shoulder he had problems with in college. Now imagine Phillip Rivers is backing him up.

Easy move to let him go, difficult decision to pick him up. Or at least people thought...

Eh, with respect to cali and noting the title tries its best, this looks like just another "me too" Peyton excerpt and already the infinitely-cloned posts are appearing...so it's merge time.;)

Oh, I don't care much that you did, so no worries lol :ols: :yes:...I actually keep forgetting this Manning thread is over here in the ATN forum.

And what's a "me, too" article? lol *scratches head*

Oh, I don't care much that you did, so no worries lol :ols: :yes:...I actually keep forgetting this Manning thread is over here in the ATN forum.

And what's a "me, too" article? lol *scratches head*

Well, beyond the hoped-for obvious inference of the term, it is a Jumbo trademarked label, so it's understandable if it's a head-scratcher. :ols:.

It's when some source runs a generic (and usually speculative) story along some general theme and then the basic parroting effect that sports media is dominated by kicks in until everyone under the sun, from major network to blogger and all things in-between, eventually do the same basic piece of business without any really fresh news or added worthy information included.

When this is then used to make "new" threads, an already unfortunate issue for boards like this---the tendency for people to endlessly and tirelessly regurgitate their same comments in as many vessels as they can find, rather than think of something new or meaningfully different to discuss after the first 20-30 times they've made basically the same comment that week---is exacerbated. :D

^^ Ah, got it now lol :yes:...and yeah, I hate when some news item put out by AP gets regurgitated on 19 different news outlets, and it results in 19 new threads being created lol (although apparently I did just that :silly: )...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-14/irsay-wants-manning-to-stay-with-colts----conditionally

"We can make it work if he wants to be here," Irsay told Chappell. "We’d be excited to have him back and finish his career with us."

Although he's leaving the decision solely to Manning, Irsay also noted the two factors complicating the situation: Manning's road to recovery after an entire season lost to neck surgery and Manning giving the team a financial break in relation to that status.

March 8 — exactly six months after Manning had what was in effect season-ending surgery — remains the red-letter date in the process. That's when Manning would be due an option bonus worth $28 million. If Irsay wants to avoid paying that, he must release Manning into the NFL's current pool of unrestricted free agents before then.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-14/irsay-wants-manning-to-stay-with-colts----conditionally#ixzz1mQ1p2T6h

"We can make it work if he wants to be here," Irsay told Chappell. "We'd be excited to have him back and finish his career with us."

This comes out of his mouth, a couple of weeks after this:

"The horseshoe always comes first, and I think one thing he's always known, because he's been around it so long, is that, you know, you keep it in the family. If you've got a problem, you talk to each other. It's not about campaigning or anything like that."

Sounds like Irsay is looking to push Manning out while trying to avoid the bad-guy role. I would hate to play for an owner who sticks his face in the media as much as he does.

I always felt like Irsay was the most unprofessional owner in the nfl.

Listening to Irsay these past few weeks and how he's handled this entire situation has really caused me to look at Dan in a whole new light. Have to applaud DS for the way he's adhered to his word with regards to staying quiet these past few years, and almost makes you thankful that he doesn't seem to have (or has grown out of) this "attention whore" mentality that colts fans are having to deal with at the moment regarding their owner.

Archived