Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

This comes out of his mouth, a couple of weeks after this:

"The horseshoe always comes first, and I think one thing he's always known, because he's been around it so long, is that, you know, you keep it in the family. If you've got a problem, you talk to each other. It's not about campaigning or anything like that."

Pretty much.

Learn-damage-control.gif

I can't imagine Andrew Luck sitting there saying to himself, " Boy, I really want to work for Jim Irsay, he seems like a great boss."

C'mon Andrew, pull an Elway and Eli and refuse to play for the Colts.

You know I was thinking the same thing, considering that Luck's father and Archie are acquaintances if not friends one would have to wonder if that would play a part in Luck possibly pulling an Elway or Eli

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826fe777/article/mannings-latest-neck-procedure-was-reportedly-his-fourth?module=HP11_headline_stack

NFL.com: Manning's latest neck procedure reportedly was his fourth

Click link for the article. 2 parts that stood out to me:

Sports Illustrated reported Wednesday, citing NFL sources, that Manning underwent a fourth and unreported procedure during the last two years. It has been widely reported that Manning had three such procedures.

Also,:

League sources also told Sports Illustrated that Manning has potentially developed bone spurs in his neck from the fusion surgery that took place in September. The Colts are under the belief that it is almost inevitable Manning will require further surgery at some point, possibly another fusion procedure, according to the report.

Not sure how much of it is news, but it definitely makes Manning less appealing to me if its all legitimate

I have said all along (before the third surgery) that Manning was done. Cervical degenerative disk disease ended up football career after my first year of D2. As soon as I heard the news I knew right away that Manning would never see the field again. I don't believe for a moment that he will regain the strength in his arm and his shoulder, and I don't believe for a moment that he could withstand 2-3 sacks a game but 2-3 more knockdowns.

I'm 21 years old and I've already developed, and kicked, a painkiller addiction for the "bulging disks" and "bone spurs" that all these articles keep mentioning. If Manning is half as smart as I think he is he'll quit while he can still get up in the morning without blinding migraines

^^ How have you been coping with your pain Vilandil?

Not trying to derail the thread, but since giving up the pills I just try to keep my head about it. Whenever it gets bad I just remind myself that it's still better than being a zombie to the meds. Usually a warm shower followed by a cold rag can wind me back down, though every so often I still have one of those "don't leave my bed" days.

I really think Manning would have to be crazy to step back onto that field. At some point, it isn't just about being healthy, it's about what happens when Mario Williams hits him head on as he's running away from Brian Cushing at his blind side. Vertebrae fusions are dangerous because they leave you with less disk to absorb impact, meaning that every collision is more bone on bone contact. Pause for a minute and imagine what your neck bones must look like grinding on each other like that.

(Not shocking that Wilbon would open his cake-hole to insult the team -- again. One of the main reasons I can't wait to have a winner here is to see this jackass have to praise us, begrudgingly.)

By Dan Steinberg

PTI weighed in on the possibility of Peyton Manning coming to the Redskins on Wednesday. The basic argument went like this.

Kornheiser: A healthy Manning would be great for the Redskins.

Wilbon: A healthy Manning should avoid the Redskins.

Then Wilbon called the Skins a “dysfunctional mess.”

click for more...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-colts-manning

Colts GM isn’t ready to decide on Manning, Luck

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigson says the team isn’t ready to make a decision on Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck just yet.

Grigson says Thursday he has not seen Manning throw and does not have information to determine whether to release him before he is paid a $28 million bonus by a Mach 8 deadline. Grigson made his remarks Thursday at the NFL scouting combine.

Manning’s future was a hot topic on the first full day of the combine. Coaches and general managers from other teams were also asked about their interest in the 14-year NFL veteran, though few provided thoughts because it would violate the league’s tampering rules.

Grigson also says Indianapolis hasn’t decided whether to select Luck, the Stanford quarterback, with the top pick in April’s draft.

Colts GM isn’t ready to decide on Manning, Luck

Hypothetically speaking, if you were supposed to pay someone 28 MILLION DOLLARS in two weeks time, I don't think you would PROCRASTINATE on doing your homework before cutting a check with 8 digits and two commas in the number. I wish someone would call him out on such an obvious lie.

Another thing... I will follow the Colts like a 2nd team next season. I think it's going to be a Jets-style drama circus with Irsay tweeting like a fool. The GM looks 30, the coach looks 60, all the good players on the team aren't far off from 60, and they're about to kick out the face of the franchise.

San Fran seems almost too obvious at this point.

If we get him, it's definitely Snyderatto 2.0 here. And the McNabb/Atogwe/Manning signings will have proven it.

Atogwe hasn't been that bad.

McNabb is another story.

We should avoid Manning. No upside for us based on our team's stage in development.

Please for the love of all that is right, we don't need the gamble on Manning.

Agreed. This would be a huge gamble and there's very little we have to gain by making it. If he comes here and he plays well, we'll have a few years of success before he retires. If he comes here and plays like crap, we're set back for another decade.

Picking up Manning would be a Cerrato-esque move.

Via Yahoo

“Peyton’s not gonna go there,” Donovan McNabb said on John Thompson’s radio show on ESPN 980, according to Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “I don’t see Peyton ending up in Washington. Because what happens is now, you’re bringing in another veteran who will be 35 36, who has been in one offense throughout his career. It’s the same situation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20120227_mcnabb_peytons_not_gonna_go_to_the_redskins

I hope Ol' D-Mac is right about the Not Going to DC part. How about we dust off a postseason mantra and alter it for off season....

ABC= Anywhere But (the) Capitol.

^^

Haha, I just saw the McNugget article about Peyton "should stay away from DC."

Situations were a lot different once I got there, with coaching and play calling and things of that nature, where it wasn’t suited around the talent of your quarterback

OK genius, so how in the blue hell does Mike and Kyle design a playbook that involves bounce passes to receivers?

More sour grapes from ol' Number 5. :rolleyes:

Donovan McNabb, who knows a thing or two about playing for the Redskins under owner Daniel Snyder and coach Mike Shanahan, says there's no way the Washington Redskins will get Peyton Manning, should Manning become a free agent.

"Peyton’s not gonna go there," McNabb said recently on ESPN Radio’s John Thompson Show, via The Washington Post. "I don’t see Peyton ending up in Washington. Because what happens is now, you’re bringing in another veteran who will be 35, 36, who has been in one offense throughout his career. It’s the same situation.

"Now he comes over, and as they say now, Peyton is such an offensive coordinator on the offense. So now what does that do to your offensive coordinator? Does he step down? Does he step back? Does he begin to change the whole offense according to the play of the quarterback that he has in Peyton Manning? Well, I didn’t see that happen, so I definitely don’t see that happening for Peyton."

McNabb, of course, was referring to his disastrous tenure with the Redskins in 2010 when his passer rating of 77.1 was the lowest since his rookie year.

McNabb went to Washington after the team acquired him in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles. McNabb and Shanahan did not work well together, and the result was a 6-10 season.

"You know what, as I look back on that year, I was very excited on joining the Washington Redskins," McNabb said. "I loved Dan Snyder, I love his attitude and his approach. I loved Bruce Allen and what he was trying to do. Situations were a lot different once I got there, with coaching and play calling and things of that nature, where it wasn’t suited around the talent of your quarterback."

Despite his failures with the Redskins and last season with the Minnesota Vikings, McNabb said he’d like to find a team in the NFL that wanted his services. He also said he had options in the broadcasting business if he decides to retire.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827430be/article/mcnabb-says-peyton-manning-redskins-would-be-a-bad-fit

While I agree that Peyton would be a bad fit here for different reasons, this reads as more sour grapes from a washed up has been, who is passive aggressively blaming the Shanahans for his failures.

What a loser. :ols:

While I agree that Peyton would be a bad fit here for different reasons, this reads as more sour grapes from a washed up has been, who is passive aggressively blaming the Shanahans for his failures.

What a loser. :ols:

That's how I feel. McNabb's still bitter. But I also think (and agree with you) that Peyton isn't a good fit here either. I hope he goes to Miami, one less threat for the race to RG3.

First off McNabb is not Peyton Manning nor is he anything close. Manning works his ass off McNabb could'nt even wear a freaking arm band for the coach. By all accounts he was lazy and didn't want to try to fit the system. When was the last time you say Peyton manning throw 10 worm burners in a row. If the problem was Washington and the Shanahan's then what was the problem in Minnesota? I didn't hear his cry baby agent complaining about how Donavan was being disrespected when Minnesota benched his ass. That's because even he realized his client was washed the hell up.

I believe that the Shanahan's would blend what Peton does well with their system and it would be a hibrid of his offense and theirs. I also belive Reggie wayne and maybe even Pierre Garcon would be signed to further smooth any transition.

"Play calling was not suited around the talent of your QB"

Really? What happened with the Vikes and the total lack of any demand for his services from the rest of the NFL now suggests that its more likley that the play calling was held back by the talent of our QB or at least his unwillingness/inability to learn to execute the offense the way Kyle and Mike wanted him to.

Archived