Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

This isn't about Grossman or Beck. Beck to me is done. Grossman will be considered after the draft.

I still think we get RG3 even if we get PM.

But lets say we do get PM....this team will be expected to go 10-6. Regardless of if we get RG3 or not. Thats what his name and history alone brings.

Are we a team ready to compete for those expectations? Do we have the talent to live up to those expectations? If we don't, what happens to our fanbase? Our culture?

Lot's of questions that we need to make sure we do our research on. Make sure the long term plan is not affected by signing PM. We saw the circus McNabb brought to the team when it didn't work out.

I am not against PM, just hope that this is done properly and not rushed. After the draft is the best time to me to sign him.

If we get PM then we should just sit where we are and get RG3 only if he drops to us.

Oh and your concern about the team having high expectations and failing to live up to it... I think the fan base will deal with that if it comes to that like we have been doing for past 20 years... that is the last thing we need to worry about here..

If we are going the PM route, just take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd to learn behind Peyton. It's not that complicated people. We'll have more draft picks to build the team than we would with RG3, so rebuilding wouldn't really be affected too much in a negative way. If anything, it would probably help our rebuild. It's pretty simple.

The best idea situation for us would be to sing Peyton Manning and also bring along some pieces from the Colts like Wayne, Garcon, and Saturday to build the offensive chemistry as quickly as possible.

There is where the idea of Peyton Manning, Redskins QB, turns from a stomachable situation to a disaster in my mind.

I don't want Peyton to come to DC to run Peyton's offense, or for it to become Peyton's team. I want to see the Shanahan offense and the Shanahan team, because I want them (and their influence) to still be here long after Peyton is retired.

I'm still apprehensive about PM being our QB, b/c for all intensive purposes he only addresses one of Grossman's weaknesses (throwing from the pocket). We still can't run the bootleg or waggle portion of the playbook (probably a sizable chunk), and the QB running threat (ever so dangerous in the 2 minute offense) is still missing.

Bringing in a bunch of past their prime FAs in a "buying a championship" move also means all the bad press from the last decade was 100% right, and that we still haven't learned how to correctly build a team

If we are going the PM route, just take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd to learn behind Peyton. It's not that complicated people. We'll have more draft picks to build the team than we would with RG3, so rebuilding wouldn't really be affected too much in a negative way. If anything, it would probably help our rebuild. It's pretty simple.

So then in 2014, we're trying to make it with a not so great 2nd or 3rd round QB when instead we could have been in our 3rd year of RGIII.

Brilliant! Vinny would be proud.

So then in 2014, we're trying to make it with a not so great 2nd or 3rd round QB when instead we could have been in our 3rd year of RGIII.

Brilliant! Vinny would be proud.

We wouldn't just be picking any random, "not so great," QB like Vinny would. It would be a QB that Shanny falls in love with and thinks can learn greatly from Peyton. I trust him to find a guy he loves while still keeping picks to build the team. Plus, I said, IF, we go that route, thats what will happen. I love RG3 as much as the next guy but he could definitely cost too many picks to fill other holes and if thats so, I'd rather not take the RG3 route.

We wouldn't just be picking any random, "not so great," QB like Vinny would. It would be a QB that Shanny falls in love with and thinks can learn greatly from Peyton. I trust him to find a guy he loves while still keeping picks to build the team. Plus, I said, IF, we go that route, thats what will happen. I love RG3 as much as the next guy but he could definitely cost too many picks to fill other holes and if thats so, I'd rather not take the RG3 route.

So there is magically going to be this awesome QB in the 2nd or 3rd round? Which QB are you thinking? The only QB's available will be the ones in the draft, Shanny can't create something that isn't there.

Also, keep in mind this is the same Shanahan who brought us Beck (whom he was excited about coming out of college), and who bet his reputation on Rex Grossman. Oh, and who traded a 2nd for McNabb.

You still sure he can find a diamond in the rough in the 2nd or 3rd?

nsawins.com has odds on where he will land. It looks like we have the second best odds of getting him. Its the first time that I've seen the Redskins have the second best odds of anything posted in a while.

2013 Regular Season?

New York Jets 5/1

Miami Dolphins 3/1

Arizona Cardinals 9/4

Washington Redskins 5/2

Indianapolis Colts 3/1

Any wager placed after this becomes public knowledge will be graded as No Action.

Check back soon, these lines update often.

So there is magically going to be this awesome QB in the 2nd or 3rd round? Which QB are you thinking? The only QB's available will be the ones in the draft, Shanny can't create something that isn't there.

Also, keep in mind this is the same Shanahan who brought us Beck (whom he was excited about coming out of college), and who bet his reputation on Rex Grossman. Oh, and who traded a 2nd for McNabb.

I have confidence he can. And I don't think Shanny was confident in either Beck or Grossman. But I'm not sure about anything. You can't be sure about anything in the draft. You make it seem like I'm saying what ever project we take to play under Manning is going to be a awesome QB. All I'm saying is we'll take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd if we go the Manning route, christ...I'm not saying its the best route or really the route I want, it is IF we sign Manning.

You hit the nail on the head there Hoskins.

McNabb, Gross-man and Beck. Not exactly a pristine list for someone who supposedly has an 'eye' for quarterbacks. Bring in RG3 somehow and lets get this thing going.

If we sign PM, I think we will either stay put at 6 and draft the best OL available... or trade back and draft a few OL and a QB in 2nd round or late first.....

I dont think there is ANY chance we sign PM and draft RG3....

I agree, if we get Peyton, we're not getting RG3. We will be getting WRs, probably another tackle, probably another CB, and a safety if LL is gone. They will keep Rex another year as a back-up. Our big splash for a future franchise QB will be in the 2013 draft with at least three 1st round QBs in it.

Any chance this rumor was leaked to make St. Louis consider making a pre-draft trade for #2? If Redskins are out of the RG3 bidding war than the value of that pick may drop.

i was going to post that st louis really doesnt have anything to gain by trading early, as opposed to right before the draft, but there is something to think about there. if st louis is really convinced that we want manning, and we dont immediately sign him, but talk to him, and there are no other apparent suitors- which really isnt out of the question, imo (maybe cleveland doesnt show interest, as is believed, and miami quickly signs flynn, for example) they may not have a bunch of suitors for that second pick...... maybe they think an offer by washington may be the best offer they get.

interesting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/08/report-peyton-working-out-at-duke-with-cutcliffe/

Report: Peyton working out at Duke, with Cutcliffe

Posted by Mike Florio on February 8, 2012, 6:59 PM EST

APTwo weeks ago, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said that dramatic changes in the franchise made the team facility a difficult place for healing. And so Peyton apparently has decided to take a break.

The folks at the Duke Hoop Blog report that Peyton is working out on campus, with long-time family friend and advisor David Cutcliffe, the head coach of the Blue Devils football program.

The disclosure came from Duke offensive lineman Matt Skura, who posted this afternoon on Twitter that he “[g]ot to stretch next to Peyton Manning.”

cont'd at above link...

If we sign PM, I think we will either stay put at 6 and draft the best OL available... or trade back and draft a few OL and a QB in 2nd round or late first.....

I dont think there is ANY chance we sign PM and draft RG3....

if you get a QB that you really like drop down to you then you have to take them. Especially if you know that you will be looking for one in about 3 years from now. Look at what GB did when Aaron Rodgers dropped to them even when Brett Favre was still putting up decent numbers. Granted GB was picking lot lower than us but still it should not change our decision if a QB does in fact drop down to us. I think there is very small chance that RG3 will in fact drop down to us but if he does then we need to draft the kid.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 03:26 AM ----------

oh and just to add... if we do get PM then it would be great to see Santana Moss finally get a legit QB throwing the ball to him for the first time in his career...

Santana Moss will still drop it, no matter who is tossing it to him. And he will do so in the worst possible times. He's not a #1. When are people gonna understand this?

i wasnt implying that Sanatana Moss is a #1 WR. I am just a fan of his so it would be great for him to actually have a good QB throw the ball to him.

All of this talk about " The Redskins being interested in Manning " really has me thinking. I didn't want to start another Peyton to DC thread, for all of the obvious reasons, but we have to put Mikes history on QB plans on the table.

#1. NO ONE had any idea that Shanahan was going to move up in Denver for Jay Cutler. The Broncos had just signed Plummer only a year or two before moving up for Cutler.

#2. NO ONE had any idea that the Redskins were in play for Donovan Mcnabb.

#3. NO ONE had any idea that the Redskins plan to have John Beck as the backup and eventual starter was in the cards. I know it didn't work out, but that WAS the plan, pretty obvious.

I know this is only 3 moves, but since his time with Elway Shanahan has really only made 3 QB moves. All of which NO ONE in the media had a clue.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see something come out of left field on QB options. If Manning isn't a smoke screen, it would be the first time in Shanny's career.

I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning, and they quoted Joe Theismann as saying "Peyton to the Redskins would be a horrendous move".

...And I agree completely. Even if he's still got the skills, the head butting between him and the Shanahans would have us all over ESPN for the wrong reasons.

Shanny's a terrific liar when it comes to talking about his team. There aren't many who play their cards as closely as he does.

~Bang

Bill Belichick and Mike Shanahan are probably pretty even in this regard. Probably the two in the league right now who don't give you much. Much better than the days of Zorn saying whatever came to him at that moment.

Don't worry, Peyton will probably bring Reggie Wayne with him.:ols:

I kinda hope if we do get Manning, they bring in Saturday and Wayne both on 2 year deals. Then Kyle and Peyton can spend all offseason crafting some hybrid of their two offenses combined, making the transition a little easier on all parties involved.

Archived