Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

if you get a QB that you really like drop down to you then you have to take them. Especially if you know that you will be looking for one in about 3 years from now. Look at what GB did when Aaron Rodgers dropped to them even when Brett Favre was still putting up decent numbers. Granted GB was picking lot lower than us but still it should not change our decision if a QB does in fact drop down to us. I think there is very small chance that RG3 will in fact drop down to us but if he does then we need to draft the kid.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 03:26 AM ----------

oh and just to add... if we do get PM then it would be great to see Santana Moss finally get a legit QB throwing the ball to him for the first time in his career...

This. Last year Moss showed he is STILL able to get behind defenses, but the day he is able to catch a long bomb in stride and take it to the endzone without having to wait on the ball, I will have a heart attack.

I agree OP, which is why I'm not guaranteeing RG3 in burgundy and gold next season, and why I'm not really thinking Peyton will be living in the DC metro area next year.

In the era of information, this front office is in the business of mis-information. I would not be surprised if they have different plans that only they know.

I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning, and they quoted Joe Theismann as saying "Peyton to the Redskins would be a horrendous move".

...And I agree completely. Even if he's still got the skills, the head butting between him and the Shanahans would have us all over ESPN for the wrong reasons.

I don't think you have to worry about Manning butting heads with anyone ;)

...I love RG3 as much as the next guy but he could definitely cost too many picks to fill other holes and if thats so, I'd rather not take the RG3 route.

I don't see why everyone thinks that RG3 is can't miss. He didn't play vs a tough schedule. Pretty much flashed for one year. With Peyton we just risk $. If we trade up to get RG3 and he turns out to be more like Vince Young than Cam Newton then we're really gonna be set back. I'd rather get PM. Build a team around him. Continue to trade down and stock pile picks. Then there wouldn't be pressure to reach for that future franchise QB. We could bargain from a position of strength rather than desperation.

[<edited out rule 11 violation--1 week ban>

Half serious, half sarcastic. Serious about signing those guys, sarcastic about them creating a brainchild offense (Peyton will literally just tell Kyle to sit down and shut up).

I still really want RG3 but I'm starting to think that signing Manning and drafting Blackmon & Tannehill/Weeden should be Option A. Option B would be to trade up to #2 for RG3 if we can't land Manning.

Believe it or not, the Risk/Reward is much higher trading up for RG3 than it is signing PM to an incentive-laden contract and drafting someone to learn from him for the next 2 years. I'm starting to be terrified by the idea of RG3 being a bust and us trading 4 early draft picks for him.

to be fair though, it feels like we have been linked with every qb out there. im just hoping the one rumor that isnt going around (rex starting again) isnt the one that ends up being true

Somebody a few weeks ago already wondered if RGIII actually equated out to: Rex Grossman year III:(

Half serious, half sarcastic. Serious about signing those guys, sarcastic about them creating a brainchild offense (Peyton will literally just tell Kyle to sit down and shut up).

I still really want RG3 but I'm starting to think that signing Manning and drafting Blackmon & Tannehill/Weeden should be Option A. Option B would be to trade up to #2 for RG3 if we can't land Manning.

Believe it or not, the Risk/Reward is much higher trading up for RG3 than it is signing PM to an incentive-laden contract and drafting someone to learn from him for the next 2 years. I'm starting to be terrified by the idea of RG3 being a bust and us trading 4 early draft picks for him.

Ok, i would be ok with bringing in Manning but i wouldnt be ok with bringing in two guys well over the age of 30. I would much rather go after a younger WR and i think we are fine a the C position. JMO

It's not a smoke screen. It wouldn't make any sense. If Manning is released this week or next, someone will sign him. It will be before free agency and the draft. So a smoke screen is not very likely.

Shanny is great at keeping his card close when he needs to, but this isn't one of those situations. Logically it just wouldn't accomplish anything.

I am actually getting pumped about it. Sent a tweet saying that just a little bit ago and the response I got was "Nike combat jersey's + 18 = big bucks. It's Snyder time."

It just makes sense in so many ways. I want it to happen, then move down in the draft, get Tannehill and let him learn the right way to prepare from Peyton for 2 or 3 years. We will be set for a while.

Another thing to add to it is that if we sign 18, people will want to come here to play with him. It gives us instant creditability.

Ok, i would be ok with bringing in Manning but i wouldnt be ok with bringing in two guys well over the age of 30. I would much rather go after a younger WR and i think we are fine a the C position. JMO

I see your point. I agree that C is not a huge concern but if Saturday is healthy he's a fantastic center (albeit he probably only has a year or two left he can actually play). Basically my thought process is this: IF we go through with this, I think the most success long term and short term would be for Manning/Wayne/Saturday to come in, and for Weeden/Blackmon/Monty to learn from those guys. Weeden and Blackmon especially, since they already had that type of chemistry in college that Manning and Wayne have now.

I'm just big on QB/WR chemistry in general. We even saw a little of it this year with Grossman and Gaffney - it can make a huge difference. If there were a way to land both RG3 and Kendall Wright, I would jump all over that. Only team with a shot at pulling that off though is the Browns.

I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning, and they quoted Joe Theismann as saying "Peyton to the Redskins would be a horrendous move".

...And I agree completely. Even if he's still got the skills, the head butting between him and the Shanahans would have us all over ESPN for the wrong reasons.

I just don't see this line of thinking. It's like people forget that Shanahan worked with Montana, Young and Elway. And got all of them to perform at an extraordinary level, and tweaked his offense to their skills. And from what I can tell, none of the three of those HOF QBs have ever said anything negative about working with him.

And with the McNabb thing. 1. McNabb is not Peyton, Montana, Young or Elway. 2. All of the others met Shanahan part way. They were willing to accept coaching, and Shanahan accommodated each of their skills. Because while Elway and Montana are two of the best ever, they are about as different as night and day. But he worked with both of them. (Though, give Bill Walsh a lot of credit for Montana.) But Shanahan was the OC for the 49ers under Walsh.

I agree OP, which is why I'm not guaranteeing RG3 in burgundy and gold next season, and why I'm not really thinking Peyton will be living in the DC metro area next year.

In the era of information, this front office is in the business of mis-information. I would not be surprised if they have different plans that only they know.

I have a funny feeling that shanallen has something up their sleeve. I REALLY want us to get RGIII, but if we can't so be it. I'm sure The FO is in the process of dotting the I's and crossing the T's.

What good is a smoke screen in this situation?

The Universe knows we need a QB.

A top 5 all time but injured QB is available.

Skins don't have much ammo to get a QB in the draft.

No other real options out there.

Maybe it's a reverse smokescreen. Since everyone thinks its a smokescreen, it is, the smokescreen is everyone else's assumptions that it's a smokescreen.

Shanny is our ninja in plain sight!

Thanks hawg. I was listening to Mike and Mike, but had a doctor's appointment right after they ran that teaser. Assumed it was about the Skins, but I didn't hear who said it.

I don't see why everyone thinks that RG3 is can't miss. He didn't play vs a tough schedule. Pretty much flashed for one year. .

hers a relevant article. its bleacher report, but i believe the actual facts are correct.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/964997-robert-griffin-iii-is-the-best-qb-in-college-football

And the fact of the matter is Robert Griffin III has better stats against arguably better opponents than Andrew Luck in less playing time.

Luck's played in all 12 of Stanford's games, including a three-overtime showdown vs. USC, hauling in a massive 3,170 yards, 35 touchdowns, nine interceptions, and a 70.7 completion percentage, all while maintaining a 167.5 quarterback rating for the season.

Those are outstanding numbers.

But when you look at what RG3 has done, you might want to reconsider your initial vote for the Heisman Trophy.

In only 11 games this season, Griffin's led the Baylor Bears with 3,678 passing yards, 612 rushing yards to Luck's 153, 34 touchdowns through the air, seven touchdowns on the ground, a 191.1 quarterback rating and only 5 interceptions on the season, not to mention a 72.6 completion percentage.

And he missed the second half of last week's game vs. Texas Tech with concussion-like symptoms!

RG3 has Baylor ranked fifth in passing yards at a whopping 359.5 a game. Where's Luck? Only 26th at 207 yards per game.

The numbers never lie.

It can be done until the league season opens. Plus St. Louis would be stupid to make that trade until they are on the clock. The trade value won't go down and will probably go up.

And that's the problem with Manning. If he's released tomorrow he can be signed tomorrow. Just because the trade can't be official until the league year starts doesn't mean an agreement can be reached.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 12:47 PM ----------

The numbers never lie.

Sure they do. Run heavy pro-style vs Pass Happy Spread.

Of course the spread will have better passing numbers.

Sure they do. Run heavy pro-style vs Pass Happy Spread.

Of course the spread will have better passing numbers.

i actually dont disagree, i was trying to find a better article that talked about the opponents baylor faced this year, and how he did against them. this article really talks about rg3 vs luck and their numbers.

Archived