Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

This is something i wrote about manning recently, an opinion, but i would like to get other opinions.

---------------------------

I would like to start off by saying, i do NOT advocate getting Peyton Manning. I really don't want to go that route. Now, with that said, here is some word vomit.

Peyton Manning is a great QB. I don't think that is debatable. As long as he comes back to the NFL at 100% he will be a difference maker for any team who decides to take him on. But there is something that has kind of ticked me off about this whole situation.

Listening to sports radio today, there was a caller who called in saying that "the Redskins need a lot more than just a quarterback. they need depth at all positions. You look at the Colts, and they are pretty much set everywhere else, so i don't know why people think he is the answer". I probably shouldn't have quoted this considering this isn't really verbatim what he said. But the first part i do agree with. but the second part irritates me.

ARE the Colts really better than the Redskins WITHOUT Peyton Manning? I mean lets think about this.

1. They only won 2 games. Records don't lie. Without Peyton Manning the Colts couldn't muster more than 2 wins. Lets also consider they didn't win the two games until they signed a QB who wasn't even on their roster at the beginning of the year. The Redskins won 5 games. I know some of those wins weren't very impressive, but (once again) the record doesn't lie, and they won 3 more games than the Colts did.

2. Defensively, which doesn't even involve the QBs directly, the Redskins ended the year ranked 14th overall. The Colts ended the year 27th. Last year the Redskins were 26th overall and the Colts were actually 24th, so you see the improvement after one year in the 3-4 for the skins.

3. Our divisional wins and losses. The AFC South cumulative wins and losses were 26-38. The NFC East went 30-34. Not the strongest divisions this year (although the Giants DID win the Superbowl). Along with having 3 more wins, the Redskins arguably had a stronger division this year. This, of course, is debatable, but according to statistics the Redskins get a check in this category as well.

4. Now for the biggest "argument" skins fans have against Manning. Our O-line is worse. Is it? In Run blocking our O-line was ranked 10th in the league allowing 4.21 yards per carry. The Colts were ranked 25th allowing 3.91 yards per carry. Now you could say we had better running backs, blah blah, i get it. this isn't the stat anyone really cares about anyway. The more important statistic is pass protection right? So lets look at that then:

Lets start by defining a term that FootballOutsiders.com uses for ranking pass pro.

Adjusted Sack Rate (ASR): a calculation for sacks (plus intentional grounding penalties) per pass attempt adjusted for down, distance, and opponent.

According to this stat, the Redskins were ranked 15th at 6.4% ASR in the league. The Colts, wait for it, were ranked 18th with a 6.9% ASR. interesting... now its true that the skins gave up 40 sacks, while the colts only gave up 35, but according to the ASR, that means the skins were in a pass pro situation a lot more than the Colts. It could even come down to the Redskins offense being on the field more often than the Colts. Either way, even though there were more sacks against us, our ASR percentage is .5% lower.

I remember before the season when Peyton Manning was only going to be injured for the 'first couple of games' EVERYONE was talking about how he 'hides the flaws the Colts have'. Do you remember that? whats different now? He obviously made his O-line look a lot better the two years prior to this year when they allowed ONLY 29 sacks total. He can make an average O-line look phenomenal, and we all know that a great QB can make average receivers look great as well, and vice versa. His ability to get rid of the ball that fraction of a second faster than the average QB, and his vision of the field, as well as his ability to change the play if he doesn't like the look of a defense, is something that you can't find every day. All these factors are assuming that he is at 100% health.

i want to reiterate that i don't really want Peyton to the skins. He is one of the few elite, but its kind of contrary to the whole 'rebuilding' idea. Plus it will severely stunt the QB position for the long run. I mean, look at his back-ups. they didn't even practice when he was on the roster. We need a young(er) stud at the QB position (as well as many other positions) and pass on the Manning fiasco. I would rather take the risk and draft someone high and go with them, unless, of course, the Redskins do something crazy and get Manning AND RGIII at 6 (or trade up, **** it). But that won't happen, it most likely will be one or the other. i prefer the latter, even if Peyton Guaranteed play-offs next year. Because, as crazy as it sounds, I want a team who might contend every year for the next decade as opposed to a team who definitely will for 2-3 years. I WANT A FRANCHISE!

thoughts?

-------------------

given more recent rumors, it seems we might be PM and RG3. i can only hope... this might sound hypocritical but i wouldn't mind manning if we got rg3 or someone as good in the draft.

given more recent rumors, it seems we might be PM and RG3. i can only hope... this might sound hypocritical but i wouldn't mind manning if we got rg3 or someone as good in the draft.

See, I think I'm OK with either of the following scenarios, but I wouldn't want to combine them:

1) Draft RGIII

2) Sign Manning and draft a 2nd- or 3rd-round QB to develop behind him

I think if you draft someone like Griffin, you play him right away. Equally, if you sign someone like Manning, you give him 1-2 years as the unquestioned starter. I don't see how you both sign Manning and draft Griffin.

Posted by Hap in the BBN section. It seems like there is a million opinions from 1,000 different sources.

http://www.csnwashington.com/02/09/12/NFL-insider-on-Manning-He-cant-throw/landing.html?blockID=648070&feedID=10376

Appearing on Bill Simmons' BS Report, NFL Network's Mike Lombardi said people who are catching Peyton Manning's (neck surgeries) passes as he rehabs say Manning not only lacks velocity, but can't throw to his left.

"He can't throw the ball," said Lombardi. "I've talked to people who've caught the ball for him. He can't throw the ball to his left. He can't throw the ball across his body, because he doesn't feel it. People that catch the ball for him say he doesn't really have velocity on the ball yet." Lombardi is skeptical of any franchise hinging its hopes on Manning. The hope, of course, is that Manning will regain feeling in his arm as the nerve regenerates.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?362345-SBN-Some-Clarity-On-Peyton-Manning-s-Injury

First of all, a little history.

According to Dungy and Manning, Peyton received his initial neck injury in a game against the Washington Redskins on Oct. 22, 2006. Dungy recalled that " Manning's neck was wrenched and his helmet ripped off when he took a hit by Andre Carter followed by a hit from Phillip Daniels". The hits were legal so do not read anything into that.

why can't we get Manning AND pick a qb with our 1st round pick? I read somewhere that Manning is willing to play with no guaranteed money and will play for incentive pay. What do we really have to lose on that? Our rookie qb can learn the ropes behind one of the greatest of all time, and if Manning isn't back to full form, we will have our rookie.

I would love to have Manning on the Redskins. And if it doesn't work out, we just need to make sure we have a backup.

1. Money. Paying for Peyton, even incentive laden, AND a 1st rd QB will be hell on our cap.

2. Backup QBs in Indy have played horribly. Don't expect Peyton's mentoring to help our draftee to develop.

3. What's the point of getting a first round QB, one ready to play, and draft a high profile vet to start, at the same time?

4. There's the issues related solely to Peyton, like the 3 recent neck surgeries, the higher INT numbers year before last, his penchant to run his own offense, etc.....

deargod.jpeg

This morning on Mike and Mike, Marcellus Wiley said he talked to Peyton at the SB, not in an interview, but just as a friend and asked him how he was doing. Peyton told him, "Marcellus, you know, I'm doing alright." Almost like he knows he'll be back as soon as the never regenerates. Take it for what it's worth.

Looking in here the past few weeks, nobody has brought up this scenerio: What if the Redskins sign Peyton Manning and th Colts have been putting up a smokescreen and decide they like RGIII and we trade up with the Rams and end up with Luck?

everyone also talks about how horrible the colts Oline was this year (how great it has been in the past), that Peyton wouldn't be able to succeed behind our Oline.

Could it be that he has never really played with an outstanding Oline and the success he has was based off of his intelligence and ability to make a quick read/throw.

Peyton is one of the quickest QBs in terms of getting the ball, dropping back and throwing. He knows what the defense is going to be doing and he knows where to go with the football before the play even starts.

everyone also talks about how horrible the colts Oline was this year (how great it has been in the past), that Peyton wouldn't be able to succeed behind our Oline.

Could it be that he has never really played with an outstanding Oline and the success he has was based off of his intelligence and ability to make a quick read/throw.

Peyton is one of the quickest QBs in turns of getting the ball, dropping back and throwing. He knows what the defense is going to be doing and he knows where to go with the football before the play even starts.

That's exactly what it is. Why can't they run the ball? I'd put our OLine up against theirs any day. Also, how were Reggie Wayne's numbers this year? Better talent my ass. The Colts had better talent at QB, that's for sure. It's amazing how that one position makes the rest of the team look so much better.

That's exactly what it is. Why can't they run the ball? I'd put our OLine up against theirs any day. Also, how were Reggie Wayne's numbers this year? Better talent my ass. The Colts had better talent at QB, that's for sure. It's amazing how that one position makes the rest of the team look so much better.

Exactly, and everyone mentions that he has had such a great receiving core. but he's made pierre garcon, austin collie, anthony gonzalez look great

There is only one reasonable solution. Sign Peyton to be our vet QB and draft RG3. Philip Rivers sat for a couple of years. So did Aaron Rodgers. We would go from the worst QB situation to the best. If for whatever reason Peyton "isn't cool" with us drafting RG3, then we don't sign Peyton. I think most of the fanbase would accept Rex being our vet QB if we have RG3 on our roster.

What if the Redskins sign Peyton Manning and the Colts have been putting up a smokescreen and decide they like RGIII and we trade up with the Rams and end up with Luck?

you know i thought about this the other day myself... and it is VERY possible that there is a smoke screen going on here... i dont know about your specific scenario you put here, but this would be typical Shanahan right? i mean when he drafted Jay Cutler he apparently didn't show any interest before the draft to maybe make the stock for him lower. Now needless to say neither stock on RG3 or Luck is going to lower because the skins aren't showing open interest, but maybe this sets it up so the skins trade up to 2 or 3 more easily because the Browns think they aren't interested.

there is a huge flaw in my argument, free agency is before the draft. Whatever, you know what i'm getting at....

It's a week old. But, I didn't see this until today.

Feb 3

4:51

PM ET

ManningWatch: Joe Gibbs chimes in

By Paul Kuharsky

INDIANAPOLIS — Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs won Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks. He would not have objected, however, to a long-term relationship with a player the caliber of Peyton Manning.

Gibbs said he thinks if Manning lands on another team, that team should give him a large degree of control in the offense.

“If he’s physically healthy, I predict there will be 25 teams after him. Now the question is, what’s Indy going to do? They’re sitting there with the first pick in the draft and you know where that’s going to go and so what do you do? I think there are a lot of options there. It’ll be interesting to see what Indy does.

“This guy was special, he was special as a player. And I think really what was really special when you go against him was what he did at the line of scrimmage, mentally. Not only physically could he throw it and do all the things he did, but this guy actually took that audible package at the line of scrimmage and drove you crazy.

“If another team gets him, I would say the smart thing to do is to let him direct and help put in the offense… They say he spent hours and hours coaching. He had to in order to do what he did. I mean he goes to the line of scrimmage and quick counts you and that means you’ve got to get into what you’re going to do. And the next time he stops, backs down, says if it’s one deep I’m throwing it, if it’s two deep, I’m handing it off. And when he threw it, all they had to do was put their hand out. He was special. That part of him, you don’t want to lose that as a coaching staff.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/53350/manningwatch-joe-gibbs-chimes-in

They should have asked Joe why didn't he go after the other Manning in the 2004 draft. I'm sure he could have made the big trade.

There is only one reasonable solution. Sign Peyton to be our vet QB and draft RG3. Philip Rivers sat for a couple of years. So did Aaron Rodgers. We would go from the worst QB situation to the best. If for whatever reason Peyton "isn't cool" with us drafting RG3, then we don't sign Peyton. I think most of the fanbase would accept Rex being our vet QB if we have RG3 on our roster.

Its no gimmie that we'll secure RGIII in the draft.. So what do ya do now?

Looking in here the past few weeks, nobody has brought up this scenerio: What if the Redskins sign Peyton Manning and th Colts have been putting up a smokescreen and decide they like RGIII and we trade up with the Rams and end up with Luck?

Why would the Colts need to throw up a smokescreen?...They have the #1 pick lol..they don't have to fool anyone to get any guy they want.

NFL network with an orthopedic surgeon who talks about Manning's injury and dispels the myths surrounding it

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d826d97b3/Manning-s-injury-explained

I think they said over 70% of the players recover to play with this injury.

Why would the Colts need to throw up a smokescreen?...They have the #1 pick lol..they don't have to fool anyone to get any guy they want.

Maybe smokescreen was the wrong word, but every team does their homework in regards to trades even if they don't have an intention to trade it. I remember back to the 1993 draft and the Patriots had alot of people believing they'd take Rick Mirer instead of Drew Bledsoe. The Colts still have to look at every avenue and we haven't had the combine or pro days yet.

there is a difference between coming back to play linebacker and coming back to play QB.

No one knows if the nerves will regenerate to prior levels and if Manning will still have the same velocity on his passes.

what do you mean no one knows? When Manning gets release in March, Redskins will have a chance to work him out and will be able to assess Manning in person.

If Manning has the velocity in his throws then it is simple.

If Manning does not have the velocity in his throws then you wait to sign him. If another team wants to take the chance then let them but if Manning has no better options in terms of being on a team that can compete right away then he will wait to prove his health in April before the draft. After that evaluation, you decide if Manning will be healthy enough to play or not.

I think after Manning gets release and the Redskins staff get to evaluate him in person.. the decision becomes very simple.. not as complicated as people want to make it.

Archived