Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

I just don't see this line of thinking. It's like people forget that Shanahan worked with Montana, Young and Elway. And got all of them to perform at an extraordinary level, and tweaked his offense to their skills. And from what I can tell, none of the three of those HOF QBs have ever said anything negative about working with him.

And with the McNabb thing. 1. McNabb is not Peyton, Montana, Young or Elway. 2. All of the others met Shanahan part way. They were willing to accept coaching, and Shanahan accommodated each of their skills. Because while Elway and Montana are two of the best ever, they are about as different as night and day. But he worked with both of them. (Though, give Bill Walsh a lot of credit for Montana.) But Shanahan was the OC for the 49ers under Walsh.

I see where you are coming from but, Manning just seems to have that Field Marshal personality about him where he has no qualms about ignoring what the OC calls and doing what he thinks will work. It's worked out pretty well for him, but the Shanahan's are pretty much Field Marshals as well and would probably bristle at being ignored even if it worked out. Either way, one side or the other would have to bend.

Young, Montana, Marino, and even Elway(to a degree) played in an older era where the Coach invariably still carried more weight than the talent which is not always the case today. Just my observation..... I'd love to have to eat this post in a year or two,

Please, Redskins sign Manning. :-).

Comes a point in time, where people think they will be signing the old Peyton. In reality, this is the old, beat up Manning.

Be careful what you wish for. You just squeaked by, avoiding getting swept by Train Rex. Manning at 80% is way better than any QB that is currently on the Redskins roster. That said, I'm hoping that we get our QB in the draft.

Colts are really tossing out RGIIIs name out there. No other reason other than they are really interested.

Trade with St. Louis right now and take Luck or RGIII. Nothing else need be done. Get that deal done right now.

It's too bad it won't be.

If the Colts are looking at RG3, it's because Luck doesn't want to be a Colt. Which would be excellent news for us.

Someone gets it.

Report saying Manning can't throw left... he has a long way to go.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning

He does have a long way to go. But there is also a long time to go until football is played again.

I am not for or against signing Peyton. I don't really know how I feel yet on it to be honest, but I trust the experts to know if he is healthy enough to sign, not second hand rumors.

It can be done until the league season opens. Plus St. Louis would be stupid to make that trade until they are on the clock. The trade value won't go down and will probably go up.

Dont be too sure about that. If the Dolphins get Manning. The Browns get Flynn.

That leaves us and the Seahawks. The Seahawks pick is too far down for the Rams to really want. That leaves us and us only. What leverage does the Rams truly have at that point?

This is why FA is before the draft. So people can truly solve needs without praying for players to drop in the draft.

Be careful what you wish for. You just squeaked by, avoiding getting swept by Train Rex. Manning at 80% is way better than any QB that is currently on the Redskins roster. That said, I'm hoping that we get our QB in the draft.

... and the Giants just squeaked by us. So does that make us an almost better team? No way :)

Who is to say Manning is even half of what he was in Indy? No Saturday, No Wayne, No Harrison, No Clark. Nobody on the Skins offense matches or comes close to those guys.

If he comes to Washington, there will be tons of offensive changes needed. Manning will get destroyed behind that offensive line.

I'd say Cooley/Davis are equal to Clark. But other than that, you're right, the talent on offense isn't as good here as it was in Indy.

Oh they can be, absolutely. If Cooley is healthy and Davis keeps his head on straight, they are two VERY talented Tight ends.

But something Peyton had with those guys, that's hard to build on is chemistry. He knew what they were going to do before they did ... it's hard to build on that in one off season. Not saying it cannot be done ... but it's tough.

Oh they can be, absolutely. If Cooley is healthy and Davis keeps his head on straight, they are two VERY talented Tight ends.

But something Peyton had with those guys, that's hard to build on is chemistry. He knew what they were going to do before they did ... it's hard to build on that in one off season. Not saying it cannot be done ... but it's tough.

Totally agree. I don't mind him coming here but 1) He has to be healthy and 2) We still need a QB in the draft. I don't think he is the answer to our problems, but he would certainly gives us better QB play than we had last year.

Who is to say Manning is even half of what he was in Indy? No Saturday, No Wayne, No Harrison, No Clark. Nobody on the Skins offense matches or comes close to those guys.

If he comes to Washington, there will be tons of offensive changes needed. Manning will get destroyed behind that offensive line.

We have a good line when healthy. The only upgrade needed on the O-line would be at RT. We have RBs. We have TEs. Moss would be great as a slot WR. The WR position is the one that could use a major upgrade.

... and the Giants just squeaked by us. So does that make us an almost better team? No way :)

Agree we need some explosion and improvement at receiver but the line is a lot better than people give it credit for and Peyton would make it look even better with his quick release and ability to read coverages and get the ball out of his hand.

Peyton needs to accept that he's had a great career and has a family to live for and focus on now.

I'm willing to give it a little time, with this coming out though - it's tough for me to want to sign him now if released...he may get it back (he hasn't been able to throw for a while so it will take some time)

Maybe someone can answer this for me. The way it looks, Manning and Colts are going their separate ways. So what's the benefit for the Colts of hanging on to Manning until his roster bonus deadline, assuming he is going to get cut? Are they hoping to see something from Luck or RG3 at the combine that they haven't seen on film already? Is it purely a business decision to keep the Colts brand in the media as long as possible? This situation is already a circus and it's just going to get worse as the deadline approaches. I would think the team would want to sever ties as soon possible and start moving on.

Maybe someone can answer this for me. The way it looks, Manning and Colts are going their separate ways. So what's the benefit for the Colts of hanging on to Manning until his roster bonus deadline, assuming he is going to get cut? Are they hoping to see something from Luck or RG3 at the combine that they haven't seen on film already? Is it purely a business decision to keep the Colts brand in the media as long as possible? This situation is already a circus and it's just going to get worse as the deadline approaches. I would think the team would want to sever ties as soon possible and start moving on.

They really need to make a decision as soon as possible to do right by Peyton. Peyton is a god in Indy and if the fans feel that Irsay didn't do right by him, then it will be a huge PR hit. If they already know what they are going to do, it's really a no brainer. Also add to it that if Luck sees them do right by Peyton, he will go in there with a better attitude.

If they know they are going in a different direction, they really don't have any options and if they hold onto him until the bonus is due, there will be nothing negatives from it for them.

They really need to make a decision as soon as possible to do right by Peyton. Peyton is a god in Indy and if the fans feel that Irsay didn't do right by him, then it will be a huge PR hit. If they already know what they are going to do, it's really a no brainer. Also add to it that if Luck sees them do right by Peyton, he will go in there with a better attitude.

If they know they are going in a different direction, they really don't have any options and if they hold onto him until the bonus is due, there will be nothing negatives from it for them.

Agreed. If they have indeed decided to release Manning then they should just do it now instead of prolonging this process. The Colts could get rid of a distracting story line and focus on the draft. It would also give Manning more time to talk with and workout for other teams.

Agreed. If they have indeed decided to release Manning then they should just do it now instead of prolonging this process. The Colts could get rid of a distracting story line and focus on the draft. It would also give Manning more time to talk with and workout for other teams.

That's just it. Manning isn't ready to workout for other teams. He's still in rehab. He won't be released until it's very near March 8th.

Here's another read. Apparently, Shanahan wants to get away for training camp.

Washington Redskins

Sally Jenkins of The Washington Post says that if Peyton Manning becomes available, the Redskins need to do whatever is necessary to sign him. Writes Jenkins: "This is one instance in which Dan Snyder needs to be the Dan Snyder we used to know, the check-writer with a signature on the bottom flashier than a fountain."

George Mason University has been ruled out as a possible training camp site for the Redskins.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36164/nfc-east-links-peyton-and-the-redskins

why can't we get Manning AND pick a qb with our 1st round pick? I read somewhere that Manning is willing to play with no guaranteed money and will play for incentive pay. What do we really have to lose on that? Our rookie qb can learn the ropes behind one of the greatest of all time, and if Manning isn't back to full form, we will have our rookie.

I would love to have Manning on the Redskins. And if it doesn't work out, we just need to make sure we have a backup.

Archived