Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

I am not seeing why Manning would want to come here. I don't think our team is at a point that he thinks we have a shot to win it all. And that has to be what he is looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy the direction this team is going. I just believe that the Skins are what Manning is looking for.

I can't wait until FA to finally put an end to all these "experts" with "inside information".

For every pundit saying we'll go one way I can probably find another that says we won't. It's a shell game, so I think I'll wait until any of these situations actually unfold before further panty-bunching.

After the debacle I witness last night, if we don't draft Luck or RG3, I might have to quit sports.

I quit the NBA after the league fixed the 2002 playoffs.

I quit baseball after the Yankees and Sox and no salary cap ruined it.

I've had to watch the lucksack Giants blindly stumble their way to TWO freaking championships.

If we don't have something exciting to root for for the next 10-15 years, my heart will die.

I am not seeing why Manning would want to come here. I don't think our team is at a point that he thinks we have a shot to win it all. And that has to be what he is looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy the direction this team is going. I just believe that the Skins are what Manning is looking for.

Manning would want to come here knowing that he would be the difference in the team. He would make the team competitive and a man of his competitive nature would certainly be up for the challenge. The Redskins are currently a great organization with Snyder, Allen and Shanahan, and they will show Manning the most respect and professional courtesy in the NFL, and that is what he is really looking for.

I've had to watch the lucksack Giants blindly stumble their way to TWO freaking championships.

If we don't have something exciting to root for for the next 10-15 years, my heart will die.

Welcome to the new NFL. One hot team versus a mediocre team that beat one team with a winning record all year. I know everyone raves about exciting games but I HATE team with the ball last (with time) wins type of football. Unfortunately that is what the league wants and so we get it.

I think you're right but what if he wants a defense that keeps him in the game instead of the other way around. If that is the case then the Redskins may be very appealing to him.

Before anyone freaks out, answer me this.

Did we see the McNabb trade coming?

Did we see the Tim Hightower trade coming?

Did any NFL fan see the Broncos trade up for Jay Cutler in the 2006 draft coming?

Did anyone see the Broncos going after Jake Plummer?

My point is that based on Shanahan's history, you can't really believe anything that comes out. To his credit, he's a master at making moves in secret.

Why wouldn't he want to come to the Redskins? Yes, we had a losing season, but honestly look at the team we swept: The New York Giants, who just won the Superbowl. I think the majority of our loses can be directly linked to the Quarterback Play. Yes, did others make mistakes? Yes, but those handful of mistakes that others made is small compared to the Quarterback play, and honestly, if we had a Quarterback last year, we would have been in the playoffs.

After the debacle I witness last night, if we don't draft Luck or RG3, I might have to quit sports.

Don't do it man... don't do it... just think about what you have to live for right now... Rex is gonna get us there. (oh hell, you might as well just do it.).

Before anyone freaks out, answer me this.

Did we see the McNabb trade coming?

Did we see the Tim Hightower trade coming?

Did any NFL fan see the Broncos trade up for Jay Cutler in the 2006 draft coming?

Did anyone see the Broncos going after Jake Plummer?

My point is that based on Shanahan's history, you can't really believe anything that comes out. To his credit, he's a master at making moves in secret.

The Mcnabb trade for one was widely conjectured and predicted months in advance, so yeah just about everybody saw that one coming.

I hear you. The time is now to draft a young stud QB. I'm sick of going decades with retread QBs. We need a QB like RG3 to energize the fanbase and the organization. If we signed Manning and still drafted RG3, then great, but I don't want to see us sign Manning and ignore the QB of the future. I'm sick of treating the QB position with band-aids.

---------- Post added February-6th-2012 at 10:47 AM ----------

The Mcnabb trade for one was widely conjectured and predicted months in advance, so yeah just about everybody saw that one coming.

Really? I don't remember any McNabb to the Skins rumors months in advance. I recall it surfaced shortly before we signed him and everyone was in shock at the news and rumors.

Id rather have RG3 but if we got Peyton as a free agent I would'nt be mad. Kind of reminds me of when Kurt Warner tanked with the Giants and signed with Arizona everybody was saying that was a dumb move and it worked out for Arizona. Plus this is not like the McNabb incident we wouldn't be trading picks and Manning is a hell of lot better QB than McNabb it's not even close.

Just a hunch, but if Peyton Manning can't get the velocity back and can't turn his head like he needs to, I don't think ANY team will be signing him, nonetheless the Redskins.
The velocity, neck movement, may not be that clear-cut. Yet make Manning a shell of his former self in game time.

I think that if this transaction were to occur, I would be all for it because a 80% Manning is better than a 100% Grossman. I also believe that the Skins would draft a QB in the second or third round this year also and sign Grossman as a backup. If Manning is signed, I think you can bet that the Skins will get Justin Blackmon with the 6th pick. So you surround Manning with Balckmon, Hankerson, Gaffney and Moss; Cooley and Davis; then Helu, Royster and Hightower and I see success. I think the same argument can be made for signing Matt Flynn but I would take Manning over Flynn any day. Either way, I think that the Skins realize that the Qb of the future is not going to land in our lap this year unless we get lucky in the later rounds with a QB that turns out to be a hiden gem like Brady was. The O-line played well this year and putting sound targets around Manning will put us back in the playoffs.

The only problem is that the offense would have to be revamped a little because Manning is not mobile and the bootlegs are not Manning's cup of tea.

---------- Post added February-6th-2012 at 03:59 PM ----------

Id rather have RG3 but if we got Peyton as a free agent I would'nt be mad. Kind of reminds me of when Kurt Warner tanked with the Giants and signed with Arizona everybody was saying that was a dumb move and it worked out for Arizona. Plus this is not like the McNabb incident we wouldn't be trading picks and Manning is a hell of lot better QB than McNabb it's not even close.

I completely agree.

There have been multiple stuff on the Peyton rumor, some are acting that this is the first mention. Doesn't mean its true but there is some smoke out there to the fire. Schefter often has a beat on the Skins thanks to his friendship with Shanny.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

If Peyton Manning is released, Redskins are expected to pursue him. Redskins also prepared to pursue free agents Matt Flynn and Kyle Orton.

I think that if this transaction were to occur, I would be all for it because a 80% Manning is better than a 100% Grossman. I also believe that the Skins would draft a QB in the second or third round this year also and sign Grossman as a backup. If Manning is signed, I think you can bet that the Skins will get Justin Blackmon with the 6th pick. So you surround Manning with Balckmon, Hankerson, Gaffney and Moss; Cooley and Davis; then Helu, Royster and Hightower and I see success. I think the same argument can be made for signing Matt Flynn but I would take Manning over Flynn any day. Either way, I think that the Skins realize that the Qb of the future is not going to land in our lap this year unless we get lucky in the later rounds with a QB that turns out to be a hiden gem like Brady was. The O-line played well this year and putting sound targets around Manning will put us back in the playoffs.

The only problem is that the offense would have to be revamped a little because Manning is not mobile and the bootlegs are not Manning's cup of tea.

---------- Post added February-6th-2012 at 03:59 PM ----------

I completely agree.

All of this would be fine, I suppose. I wouldn't be ecstatic, but I would talk myself into it, sure.

However, Manning has the same injury that forced Samuels into retirement. He has had three neck surgeries. And now we are talking about putting him into a new offense? Honestly, Manning is an all-time great, but I can't see how he would honestly be an upgrade over Rex at this stage of his career, health-wise and offense familiarity.

I

Really? I don't remember any McNabb to the Skins rumors months in advance. I recall it surfaced shortly before we signed him and everyone was in shock at the news and rumors.

ya i'm with you. i'm on this board every day- hours every week- and i dont remember hearing anything about the mcnabb trade beforehand.

Archived